What would you HATE to see on cache pages?

Seifer

Well, this sort of follows on from a previous topic.

The question is: What do/would you hate to see on cache pages?

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

I don't care what you put on the page as long as it is still readable when I look at it with a non-Microsoft browser with javascript disabled and it doesn't take an unacceptable time to load over my non-broadband link.

Don't forget that the purpose of a cache page is to convey information about a cache, not to demonstrate the web page authoring skills of the owner.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I don't care what you put on the page as long as it is still readable when I look at it with a non-Microsoft browser with javascript disabled and it doesn't take an unacceptable time to load over my non-broadband link.

Don't forget that the purpose of a cache page is to convey information about a cache, not to demonstrate the web page authoring skills of the owner.

-------

My sentiments entirely!

I decided to have a look at your web site to see what bells and whistles to expect on your cache pages (it looks absolutely fine in my browser btw), and discovered that the link you put in your profile is slightly broken - missing "http://" in the href, so it looks like a relative link.

Sorry to read about your broken arm. Get well soon.

-------

jeremyp

I hate them all. I would much rather that the person used the time and effort to improve the actual qulity of the cache and just have a well written plain text description.

The only thing I would perhaps like to see, is the ability to use BOLD to highligh important parts of the text.

Nobby

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I decided to have a look at your web site to see what bells and whistles to expect on your cache pages (it looks absolutely fine in my browser btw), and discovered that the link you put in your profile is slightly broken - missing "http://" in the href, so it looks like a relative link.

I'm pretty sure i remembered the http:// but i might have forgotten!

I recently did a complete re-write of my website because it was written in word previously....not good

I had to ask my mate how to do frames and had to "borrow" some bits off other people!

By the way Pid, just so it's legal, do i have permission to use some of the Javascript off your webpage, its the image transfer stuff.

when i write a cache page, expect a lot of fancy/tacky stuff!

Michael on Paul's login

I guess we need to distinguish between background images around the border and background images over the whole page. If we're talking about border images, I'm surprised that people object to them, since they really don't interfere with the rest of the page. I can only see them as a problem if they're slow to download. As for the rest:

Background Music: I hate background music on any web pages, so I have it turned off, so it doesn't bother me at all

Frames: since you're creating a page-within-a-page, I'm pretty sure this is impossible

Interactive Javascript: I'd probably find this pretty annoying

3D Graphics: ditto

Iathama, most (all?) browsers will let you turn off printing of background images.

I haven't voted because the poll doesn't seem to be working.

www.SimonG.org

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

its the image transfer stuff.

and a few other bits

I think 'au naturale' is best, but an odd image would be okay.

If I print out a page with the logs I don't really want to waste my ink on the fancy pictures. If I had a 56k connection I'd probably get tired of waiting for them to load.

The background music doesn't matter because I hardly ever turn on the speakers, I'm always listening to a CD.

When I write my next cache page i will do all the fancythings and i will provide a link to a text only version for printing purposes. I think that solves it.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz (Michael):

When I write my next cache page i will do all the fancythings and i will provide a link to a text only version for printing purposes. I think that solves it.

So everyone who posted a reply to your question was against all the bells and whistles, but you are still going to put them on?

That does seem strange. Why did you bother to ask the question in the first place?

Maybe you should just post a plain description on the cache page, with a link to the fancy stuff.

I have problems with the Burial Mound cache page in particular. There are times that refuses to load at all. It must cause people with 56k connections to tear their hair out. I know before I had broadband, if a page didn't load within 5 seconds then I didn't bother.

If all the fancy stuff puts peoole off from looking at your cache page, then it could be counter-productive.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

So everyone who posted a reply to your question was against all the bells and whistles, but you are still going to put them on?

That does seem strange. Why did you bother to ask the question in the first place?

Maybe you should just post a plain description on the cache page, with a link to the fancy stuff.

Alex

Ya right, that's probably the way to do it. BUT, in order to do that, i would have to basically copy the source in order for it to look nice. Methinks that may be a bit illiegal icon_biggrin.gif

It's not a matter of win or lose...until you lose icon_biggrin.gif

No music... please, please, please, no music.

No fancy background images that make my eyes hurt.

No clever javascript stuff that, when all is said and done, is there just to show you can do clever javascript stuff.

Gimme the co-ordinates, gimme a bit of a write-up and gimme a clue. That's all I ask for. That, and a flask of coffee icon_wink.gif

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

You have the makings of a good politician , ask the people to vote on something , then go against the wishes of the majority.

You could write and ask the site owner his views , If nothing else out of courtesy.

My views are leave things alone if they work, without all the needless extra's.

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

Not sure exactly what you mean Michael, please enlighten me.

If i want 2 make it look like a caching page, i would have 2 take the source off the original page, which i think is illiegal. Also, i am supplying the data in another place that isn't geocaching.com, and, as raised in an earlier discussion, all cachepages are copyrighted to jeremy.

Hope that clears it up

Mike

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

Not sure exactly what you mean Michael, please enlighten me.

If i want 2 make it look like a caching page, i would have 2 take the source off the original page, which i think is illiegal.

I was confused too, but now I understand. I've actually done this myself, and the legal issue never occurred to me. One of my cache pages contains information which you need in order to work out the co-ordinates before leaving the house, but it would be no use in the field - so I put a link to a super-mega-print-friendly page in my own webspace, which is exactly the same page with the extraneous stuff ripped out. I guess this is kind of illegal - but I can't imagine Jeremy would mind. What do others think?

SimonG.org

The only thing you'd actually be copying is the text of the page. If you were putting fancy stuff on a copy of a cache page, the best place is *not* in the place where you are forced to put it by geocaching.com. e.g. a background image should go in the body tag (or a CSS) which obviously you can't on geocaching.com. So you would not be copying the rendering HTML.

The text of the page is stuff that you write. Nowhere are you forced to surrender the copyright of the text to Groundspeak so you can reproduce it at will wherever you like.

The bottom line is, if your cache page looks illegible or takes ages to download, I won't be doing the cache and neither will 99% of everybody who's posted here by the looks of things.

-------

jeremyp

quote:

I think this looks alrite 4 a page to link to for the fancy stuff NB. Yes, i know that there are lots of bugs, the javascript fireworks don't work!

http://harrypotter.1accesshost.com/geocaching/

NO!

Copious scroll bars, on my screen, always put me off. Almost as much as the exit adverts and dubious windows opened up by your web host.

Sorry but I wouldn't want to view a page like that regardless of content.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

OK, this 'Cache' page is an interesting excercise in programming but would I like to see a real cache page like it - NO NO NO.

BUT

I am but one person with one opinion. There may well be cachers out there that like this. So I see nothing wrong in providing a LINK to such a page on a 'standard' cache page as an alternative to those who like a bit more 'fun' on their web pages. After all, who is it harming? If I want a 'standard' page it's there before me in all it's plainness, but if I want bells & whistles I click on a small link and all is revealed.

It's called choice and I'm all for it. Good on yer' Michael.

Peter

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

OK, this 'Cache' page is an interesting excercise in programming but would I like to see a real cache page like it - NO NO NO......

.......blah, blah, blah......

......It's called choice and I'm all for it. Good on yer' Michael.

Peter

What was the name of that guy, always in the pub, on The Fast Show who could never make his mind up one way or the other..........?

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Thanx Hornet, i'll probably do something like that linked to on the cachepage for my next one

PS sorry lance, i can't stop the ads, except if i host in G:UK

Mike @ school

[This message was edited by Team Blitz (Michael) on January 08, 2003 at 10:25 AM.]