The nearby caches options on a cache page all seem to be broken

colincactus

I'm also facing the same above mentioned bug (first noticed it at about 02:45 UTC today, on beginning of my early morning GC session at PC). The "nearby caches" ling on cache listing pages gives a list of caches nearest to my Home Location instead of correct list of nearby caches related to that particular source cache location.

For me it is especially serious disruption in my GC life, because my visual handicap prevents me from seeing location of caches on maps and I effectiveůy reůy on "nearby caches" textual display as the primary (and only) method to get at least some grasp of caches location within a particular area of interest. In a situation, when I need to make preparations for a GC trip to Copenhagen within next several days every hour of such an unsolved disruption is very very unwelcome... :-( I hope it will be fixed soon.

• Upvote 1

Same problem, and very sure it was ok 2 days ago.

This is similar to the problem that still hasn't been fixed in the search results where caches are listed by distance from the users home instead of the refeernce coordinates or cache. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Baktrak said:

Same problem, and very sure it was ok 2 days ago.

Sure. 2 days ago, they hadn't yet updated the Search functionality.

It seems that pre-release in-house testing is not a thing at GS :(.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Discovered the same issue today - however also noted that if you then click on 'map geocaches' on the incorrect list that comes up - it does take you to the right area that you were wanting to search (though depending on how far away from 'home' you are searching you may have to hone in on the right country :lol:

• Upvote 1

I've been havung this problem for at least 24hrs, probably longer! Please fix.

ALSO... the search page won't let me cut in paste co-ords into the box. The 'paste' function does not come up in the drop down box when right clicking!

Cut n paste works elsewhere, like a url, etc.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Same issue here. Clicking the "... all nearby caches", or the "that I haven't found" links on cache pages is broken (ie. it is not listing the caches near the location of the cache page that I am on - instead it lists the caches that are closest to my home location). I'm fairly sure that I have been seeing this for some time now.

• Upvote 2

Tried it again today, and when clicking on "all nearby caches, that I haven't found" (I'm only looking for all nearby), and it takes me to closest to Home location.

Same with "nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found", sends to closest to Home Location.

But "other caches hidden or found by this user" shows me all caches in the area by that user only.

This is the only way I find any similar/extra caches in an area, after looking for pockets of green on a map and a single cache or series I'll do...

I realize that old timers still using outdated GPSrs, and not using PQs or similar to find caches are the minority, but it's still a nuisance.

Thanks for your time.

Three weeks since this the loss of this function was reported and twenty days since HQ acknowledged that "the team is looking into it." Sometimes we get a reasonably quick followup indicating that the team has been able to duplicate the problem and that they are working on a fix. I (and I suspect others from the comments on this thread) would appreciate an update.

I wonder if this problem is tied to the long standing search trouble that returns a list of caches nearest to your home coordinates even when you are searching thousands of miles away?

• Upvote 3

Neither the "nearby caches" search nor the search based on entering coordinates has worked for me for quite some time.  A cacher who wanted to place their first cache asked me how to tell if a location was too close to an existing cache, and this was hard to answer with both of these inoperative searches.

This really needs fixing!

Thanks.

• Upvote 3
On 4/24/2024 at 11:22 AM, Michaelcycle said:

Three weeks since this the loss of this function was reported and twenty days since HQ acknowledged that "the team is looking into it." Sometimes we get a reasonably quick followup indicating that the team has been able to duplicate the problem and that they are working on a fix. I (and I suspect others from the comments on this thread) would appreciate an update.

I wonder if this problem is tied to the long standing search trouble that returns a list of caches nearest to your home coordinates even when you are searching thousands of miles away?

Actually feels like a LOT of things are broken at the moment, PARTICULARLY when trying to do searches and make lists. Super frustrating! An update from HQ would be more than welcome.

• Upvote 4

On a cache page, Find All Nearby Caches seems to be fixed.  But, entering coordinates into the home screen search bar doesn't seem to be working correctly.

If I enter N 47 35.948  W 122 20.163 (Seattle waterfront) and hit Enter, it displays the closest caches to my home coordinates in Oregon.  If I click the magnifying glass of the search bar instead, it brings up a cache in Port Orchard, quite far away, as the closest.

It doesn't seem fixed!