Wheel of Challenges June 2023

j0ckser

8 minutes ago, j0ckser said:

Earn the hard souvenir for this month by logging a find on 20 different days during June. By my count I have 23 days, but no souvenir. I have the easy and medium souvenirs.

Anybody else have the same issue?

Are all the dates on your logs original dates? No date editing after it was logged?

38 minutes ago, j0ckser said:

Earn the hard souvenir for this month by logging a find on 20 different days during June. By my count I have 23 days, but no souvenir. I have the easy and medium souvenirs.

Anybody else have the same issue?

Looking at your logged finds since the promo started I count 19. I can't see your ALs though.

If you include your three finds at the beginning of June on the first, second, and fourth, then you'd get the count of 23 that you report. But those would not count towards the souvenir promotion which started on the fifth.

That means that your cache find(s) from today (GC6ZGJ5 being one) marks "true" day 20. So it may take a moment for the P-GC checker Moun10Bike linked to catch onto that and (more importantly) the souvenir to be awarded to your profile.

I'd give it until, say, tomorrow morning to appear. If it doesn't, there might be some timezone shenanigans with your find on 5 June (since that was a Lab cache -- they seem to have timezone issues. Check the Logs page on labs.geocaching.com to see what date it displays for the "Calvert Cemetery" stage.)

Edited by Hügh
On 6/29/2023 at 11:08 PM, Hügh said:

If you include your three finds at the beginning of June on the first, second, and fourth, then you'd get the count of 23 that you report. But those would not count towards the souvenir promotion which started on the fifth.

That means that your cache find(s) from today (GC6ZGJ5 being one) marks "true" day 20. So it may take a moment for the P-GC checker Moun10Bike linked to catch onto that and (more importantly) the souvenir to be awarded to your profile.

I'd give it until, say, tomorrow morning to appear. If it doesn't, there might be some timezone shenanigans with your find on 5 June (since that was a Lab cache -- they seem to have timezone issues. Check the Logs page on labs.geocaching.com to see what date it displays for the "Calvert Cemetery" stage.)

Ahha... yes I did count those early June finds... and stopped finding (except for an A/L) at the end of June. Thank you. (I did get the souvenir.)

On 6/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, barefootguru said:

And create a checker as part of the promotion.

I’ll make a separate thread once this Wheel promotion is all done… but as the person who has been setting up the PGC challenge checkers, I can see exactly how many times each has been run. For instance, the latest Out and About checker has been run by nearly 4500 distinct players out of ~42k who earned Easy, ~23k who earned Medium, and ~12k who earned Hard. That, to me, is a pretty big proportion of users using the checker. 

I’ll dig up all the exact numbers and make a big post at the end, but my hope would be that HQ stats people see how many players actually use the checkers and as a result consider setting up a built-in tracking mechanism for next time… because while I don’t mind setting up the checkers I really shouldn’t have to. It should be built into the promotion page. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Hügh said:

I’ll make a separate thread once this Wheel promotion is all done… but as the person who has been setting up the PGC challenge checkers, I can see exactly how many times each has been run. For instance, the latest Out and About checker has been run by nearly 4500 distinct players out of ~42k who earned Easy, ~23k who earned Medium, and ~12k who earned Hard. That, to me, is a pretty big proportion of users using the checker. 

I’ll dig up all the exact numbers and make a big post at the end, but my hope would be that HQ stats people see how many players actually use the checkers and as a result consider setting up a built-in tracking mechanism for next time… because while I don’t mind setting up the checkers I really shouldn’t have to. It should be built into the promotion page. 

Remember they probably only found out about the checker here or through word of mouth from someone who read it here.

Remind HQ they should follow their own rules.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Last challenge there was a starting time - 1200 UTC.... this time it just says find caches between from 3 July... does this mean anything logged with todays (3 July) date will count towards the streak??

I think it's only the leaderboard-based ones that have the noon UTC start and end, the others go by calendar date. That's my reading of it anyway...

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, barefootjeff said:
8 hours ago, lee737 said:

Last challenge there was a starting time - 1200 UTC.... this time it just says find caches between from 3 July... does this mean anything logged with todays (3 July) date will count towards the streak??

I think it's only the leaderboard-based ones that have the noon UTC start and end, the others go by calendar date. That's my reading of it anyway...

For this daily streak challenge that's how I'd interpret it as well.

@Hügh re your earlier post including: "as the person who has been setting up the PGC challenge checkers"

Where can we find your checkers for Wheel of Challenge? Looked for a checker for the latest August "Iconic Cacher" challenge but couldn't see anything in P-GC.

Reason I wanted a checker is because I logged the three required cache types on Monday 7th, after the magic "start" hour, but no souvenir was 'awarded'! Read your comment about Lab time zones, so logged a Lab stage this morning thinking perhaps yesterdays Labs had a time zone issue, but still no souvenir today!

Exactly same issue happened a couple of months ago ... HQ sorted it after a day or two but nothing was counted on the first day of the challenge even after the 'start' time! Little frustrating.

UPDATE: August 9th ... had messaged GCHQ about the "Iconic Cacher" souvenir not being awarded. Reply said they were aware of the issue and working on a solution. Today the souvenir popped-up sothe bug appears to have been solved ... again! Hopefully a perminent fix unlike a few of months ago.

Edited by PlasmaWave
Additional information