Choosing a GPS - help please

GroundClutter

I would like some "expert" opinions on what GPS to choose. What are you all using out there? I think I've narrowed my choices down to (no order)

1- eTrex Legend

2- eTrex Venture

3- Magellan SporTrack

4- Magellan SporTrack Map

I can't make up my mind if I want/need the detailed mapping features. I'm leaning toward the Magellan line because the have alarms. Their drawback is acquisition time.

Don't know much else about GPS, so I'm asking for help. Thanks!

I have one of each.

Venture:

-no real map unless you count the display of your track and waypoints on a blank "map"

-AWSOME database of Canadian towns but no other POI

-Great GUI

-Sometimes difficult to keep signal

-Nice plug in back for cable, easy to use

-Service was great when I had to send it back BUT it wasn't completely fixed

-click stick is difficult in mitts

Sportrak Map

-Base Map sucks but for $150...

-Map Software is actually quite good.

-Base Unit POI is all american

-Purchased map's POI is limited

-GUI is difficult compared to Garmin

-Doesn't do everything garman can do for fancy calculations etc

-Better Signal lock then Garmin

-Screw on Cable on back is pain in the butt

-Cool Dual Datum/Format feature lets you view your location in two different ways at the same time.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my Sportrak because the MAIN thing I want out of a GPS is accuracy and signal lock and the Sportrak is THE best for these two points. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Thanks Rob! I've done some further research and looked at some consumer reviews. I'm leaning toward the eTrex Legend. There is a US rebate that makes it only about $20 more than the Venture. The acquisition time is much better than the Magellan too. Unless anyone has any horror stories, I think I'll go with that one. icon_smile.gif

We (MarinerBC and I) have 2 Legends and a Venture. Each has their own merits. If you want mapping capabilities and ease of use, then Legend is the way to go. Magellan is good at keeping signals, but I found it difficult to learn to use. Mind you, with my limited brain capacity, that's not surprising. MBC loves the Legend. He can give you the technical reasons why he likes it-I'm surprised he hasn't piped in yet! Good luck in your search! Have you looked at this site It has some really good deals-that's where we got one of the Legends. Have fun! icon_cool.gif

Peace.

Oh my goodness.......I think the only thing that would startle me more at night would be Bigfoot! That costume reminds me of an old urban legend involving an unfaithful husband and a wife seeking revenge. Haha!!

I've used only the Garmin eMap. I couldn't imagine having a GPS without detailed maps. As for third-party accessories for Garmin, I've not seen much myself so please tell me what's available!

Coupar-Angus

quote:
As for third-party accessories for Garmin, I've not seen much myself so please tell me what's available! Coupar-Angus

Checkout Pfranc for connectors and cables, Ebay for power and data cables, and Dale DePriest's website for Garmin Specific PDA Programs and a Garmin Users Manual in plain language.

Also for making your own maps to upload to Garmin GPSr's have a look at this web page

PDOP's GPS Pages

[This message was edited by PDOP's on March 20, 2003 at 10:05 PM.]

Ever since Ah have got mah Legenary Legend, I have failt to find a gocash only abowt fiteen or twenny tams. It werks gud in bush, and bad in th' ocean.

Seriously, I am pleased that you went with the Legend, GC. I have nothing but good things to say about our pair. I WILL, however, get a SportMap soon, just to try it.

Oh yes, ROCK ON, Zartimus!