The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey, that's a problem I actually solved when designing cell-phone software at NeoPoiint and at HydroForce. Easy, intersection of polar hyperbolas with axis rotation and translation. Critical parameters are the signal propagation time from each of three cell nodes. Analytical geometery during second-year calculus.
Oh sure Harmon, but what happens when you have a particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix? :D:D
... PUD cake is the one true way to enter the realm of enlightenment.

Sure...but heaven help you if you get a particle of preanimate PUD cake caught in the matrix! :D

Hey, that's a problem I actually solved when designing cell-phone software at NeoPoiint and at HydroForce. Easy, intersection of polar hyperbolas with axis rotation and translation. Critical parameters are the signal propagation time from each of three cell nodes. Analytical geometery during second-year calculus.
Oh sure Harmon, but what happens when you have a particle of preanimate matter caught in the matrix? :D:D

Sure...but heaven help you if you get a particle of preanimate PUD cake caught in the matrix! :D

Someone's been watching too much Star Trek II?

I love it when Chekov says "Wessels"!

Cache long and prosper!

D!

It's amazing what technology can do these days! :D

The problem was easier at HydroForce because the application was for locating cell-phones keestered into cells of State and Federal prisons. Yes, that problem came up only after cell phones became tiny enough for keestering. The prison solution is easier because the cell phones can't roam so the three nodes are known in advance. Our reguirement was to pinpoint a cell phone down to one of three adjacent cells. From that point it is easy to conduct three cell searches and six potty-watches. Of course in multilevel cellblocks then cells below and above are in question as well as beside so the search and potty-watch routines must be expanded to cover nine cells or as many as eighteen inmates. Way better than an entire cellblock because then there's not enough staff to cover the search/watch requirement.

Additional problem was that inmate cell-phone calls are typically very short and placed in the wee hours for inmate-to-outside gang coordination. Critical issue for Correctional Officers targeted by gang members.

So, o.k., y' got that? Get your pencil out and go for it. Not much worse than a macro container placed in rip-rap.

:D:D Huh??? :D:D:D

That's only a problem if your sport-socks ain't bunched. By the way, did Chekov wear his socks unbunched?

Edited by SD Rowdies

That's only a problem if your sport-socks ain't bunched. By the way, did Chekov wear his socks unbunched?

Of course. Bunched socks were inwented in Russia.

<snip>cell-phones keestered into cells of State and Federal prisons. Yes, that problem came up only after cell phones became tiny enough for keestering. The prison solution is easier because the cell phones can't roam so the three nodes are known in advance. Our reguirement was to pinpoint a cell phone down to one of three adjacent cells. From that point it is easy to conduct three cell searches and six potty-watches. Of course in multilevel cellblocks then cells below and above are in question as well as beside so the search and potty-watch routines must be expanded to cover nine cells or as many as eighteen inmates. Way better than an entire cellblock because then there's not enough staff to cover the search/watch requirement.

Additional problem was that inmate cell-phone calls are typically very short and placed in the wee hours for inmate-to-outside gang coordination. Critical issue for Correctional Officers targeted by gang members.

So, o.k., y' got that? Get your pencil out and go for it. Not much worse than a macro container placed in rip-rap.

I cannot imagine wanting to talk to the guys back in the hood so badly that I needed to use a cell phone that had been there. :D

<snip>cell-phones keestered into cells of State and Federal prisons. Yes, that problem came up only after cell phones became tiny enough for keestering. The prison solution is easier because the cell phones can't roam so the three nodes are known in advance. Our reguirement was to pinpoint a cell phone down to one of three adjacent cells. From that point it is easy to conduct three cell searches and six potty-watches. Of course in multilevel cellblocks then cells below and above are in question as well as beside so the search and potty-watch routines must be expanded to cover nine cells or as many as eighteen inmates. Way better than an entire cellblock because then there's not enough staff to cover the search/watch requirement.

I cannot imagine wanting to talk to the guys back in the hood so badly that I needed to use a cell phone that had been there. :D

Yeah, and I left out the gruesome details. Not a place you want to search for a micro-cache huh?

It's just like the Cingular ad says...

Your World. Delivered.

According to them, the Rangers are making A-B off-limits for geocaching.

That would really stink, but with the explosion of caches out there, I would not be surprised.

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. :D:D

If this becomes true, we (SDGeocachers) should meet with them and present some guidelines we Geocachers will abide by if we’re allowed to continue to hide and seek caches in the park.

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) :D

It’s all politics and sometimes one has to play along.

Anyone who has listed a cache in ABDSP has gotten a Reviewer Note from Marko Ramius that reads like this:

Hello there. I just reviewed your new cache and it appears that it has been placed within the boundaries of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park (“ABDSP”). The following special guidelines must be met before a cache within ABDSP can be approved:

1. Caches must be placed within 50 feet of authorized trail.

2. No caches permitted within 200 feet of an historic or archeological site.

3. No caches permitted in, on or under any building, structure or manmade object.

4. Caches cannot be buried.

5. No cutting or modification of vegetation.

6. No modifying of geologic features, i.e., no moving rocks, hiding under rocks or creating cairns.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your understanding and for your contributions to the sport.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

My understanding is that MR will not list any cache in ABDSP without the cache owner confirming that all of these additional guidelines have been met...

Those are the same requirements we had last year. :D

The biggest concern was the cairns. It turns out there are cairns created by Indians, and cairns created by geocachers. :D

We don't want the Rangers moving our rock piles just because they think they are built by Indians, do we? :D

Just hide an ammo can near the well established trails, and stay away from the Indians. :D

We are lucky they are still letting us play our game out there.

Let's try to follow Any and All guidelines they establish.

Dang...

I thought I was in the San Diego Thread...but some how I must be in a vortex that has taken me to the SO. Cal. web site???

Can any of you scientist solve this for me?

Actually, if you stop and think about it, your post was actually more apropros of a So Cal forums post that Steve's was...

His actually contributed to the topic. :D

I have proof that Fattboy was, indeed, not actually stuck the other day at the CITO event.

YouTube link to

And photo

Jim - W9JIM

:( Fattboy, too bad we didn't have our CRV out there to pull you out! :D

I have proof that Fattboy was, indeed, not actually stuck the other day at the CITO event.

YouTube link to

And photo

Jim - W9JIM

:D Fattboy, too bad we didn't have our CRV out there to pull you out! :D

:):):(:):mad::mad::):):)

Edited by DaMoores
According to them, the Rangers are making A-B off-limits for geocaching.

That would really stink, but with the explosion of caches out there, I would not be surprised.

Most of the explosion of Caches are not in the ABDSP they are in the Off Road Area and BLM areas of Ocotillo Wells. :o:)

If this becomes true, we (SDGeocachers) should meet with them and present some guidelines we Geocachers will abide by if we’re allowed to continue to hide and seek caches in the park.

We could show them the agreements with SDRP and even arrange a CITO event to show we care about the park. I’m sure all those flower lovers leave trash just like everyone else. (I wonder if they would ban flowers from the park) :)

It’s all politics and sometimes one has to play along.

Anyone who has listed a cache in ABDSP has gotten a Reviewer Note from Marko Ramius that reads like this:

Hello there. I just reviewed your new cache and it appears that it has been placed within the boundaries of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park (“ABDSP”). The following special guidelines must be met before a cache within ABDSP can be approved:

1. Caches must be placed within 50 feet of authorized trail.

2. No caches permitted within 200 feet of an historic or archeological site.

3. No caches permitted in, on or under any building, structure or manmade object.

4. Caches cannot be buried.

5. No cutting or modification of vegetation.

6. No modifying of geologic features, i.e., no moving rocks, hiding under rocks or creating cairns.

Please respond to this issue by either posting a Reviewer Note to this page or sending me an e-mail at markoramius.ro@gmail.com. If you send an e-mail, please don’t forget to include the GCxxxx code for the cache. Unless I hear from you in the next couple days, I will archive this listing to remove it from the queue. But don’t worry, I can always un-archive it once the issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your understanding and for your contributions to the sport.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

My understanding is that MR will not list any cache in ABDSP without the cache owner confirming that all of these additional guidelines have been met...

Those are the same requirements we had last year. :)

The biggest concern was the cairns. It turns out there are cairns created by Indians, and cairns created by geocachers. :)

We don't want the Rangers moving our rock piles just because they think they are built by Indians, do we? :o

Just hide an ammo can near the well established trails, and stay away from the Indians. :o

We are lucky they are still letting us play our game out there.

Let's try to follow Any and All guidelines they establish.

Dang...

I thought I was in the San Diego Thread...but some how I must be in a vortex that has taken me to the SO. Cal. web site???

Can any of you scientist solve this for me?

Actually, if you stop and think about it, your post was actually more apropros of a So Cal forums post that Steve's was...

His actually contributed to the topic. :o

Thanks for the support. <_<

;):o;):):)

There... Now that's more like a SoCal response!

I once again missed the Anza Borrego/ Borrego Springs event... but I do attend them whenever I can.

That place is wonderful !

My favorite part is driving thru the desert while inside the sand washes.

I once again missed the Anza Borrego/ Borrego Springs event... but I do attend them whenever I can.

That place is wonderful !

My favorite part is driving thru the desert while inside the sand washes.

We did a lot of that on Saturday and Fattboy even got stuck! <_< Edited by TrailGators

Personally, I don't like caches in front yards, or in neighborhoods, or in any urban location . . . :) However, that said, I have found some good ones, with good descriptions that removed my anxiety about searching. :laughing:

Bonsai Banzai

Quickstop Travel Bug Hostel

furn gully -- I got to meet and visit with the cache owner here. :laughing:

The Smashing Lincolns

And getting to see this one was really incredible. :)

Rock Arch Cache

I have also been to some terrible ones . . . :)

It is up to the individual cacher to decide what they are comfortable with. It also helps if the cache description is very clear about the location. And, it would sure be nice if the cacher tells all the neighbors about the cache and the activity of Geocaching.

There is a little controversy brewing in North County about suburban caches. No, not the Chevrolet kind, but the kind that are in peoples' front yards. Here are a few examples:

Whats your opinion?

You only scratched the surface...you left out some of north county's worst!...

My opinion is: I don't like them...and I think the ones that do not state, in the description, that it is there house or that they have permission, should be archived.

I loved the one that is 40' down a driveway (big red ammo can visible from the street) and the listing says you don't need to enter the driveway.

Another good one is the one next to some one else's driveway (they don't know about it I guess) because they followed us for half of a mile and wrote down duncan's! license plate number when we stopped.

Edited by GoBolts!

There is a little controversy brewing in North County about suburban caches. No, not the Chevrolet kind, but the kind that are in peoples' front yards. Here are a few examples:

Whats your opinion?

My opinion is: I don't like them...and I think the ones that do not state, in the description, that it is there house or that they have permission, should be archived.

I loved the one that is 40' down a driveway (big red ammo can visible from the street) and the listing says you don't need to enter the driveway.

Another good one is the one next to some one else's driveway (they don't know about it I guess) because they followed us for half of a mile and wrote down duncan's! license plate number when we stopped.

Which ones do you know Dave? Also thanks Dave for letting me know about those three! I added them to my ignore list. :)

Whats your opinion?

Which ones do you know Dave? Also thanks Dave for letting me know about those three! I added them to my ignore list. :)

I did the 3 that I listed no problem. Actually, Dizzy's was cool because I met the owner. Thanks for letting me know of the others. Maybe that would be an interesting bookmark list!

Whats your opinion?

Which ones do you know Dave? Also thanks Dave for letting me know about those three! I added them to my ignore list. :laughing:

I did the 3 that I listed no problem. Actually, Dizzy's was cool because I met the owner. Thanks for letting me know of the others. Maybe that would be an interesting bookmark list!

Yea, if you made a bookmark list it would be useful for many of us. :)

Whats your opinion?

Yea, if you made a bookmark list it would be useful for many of us. :laughing:

I have found a few "front yard" caches, and boy, was I nervous. I don't usually go looking for these unless I happen to be in the area and I'm absoulutly sure it's safe to do them.

I guess I would rather not have any of these around.

I sure wouldn't hide one in my front yard even if the neighbors knew about it. I wouldn't want them to see a prowler and mistake him for a geocacher so then not do anything about it.

I generally don't like the front yard caches either! I hate getting there and looking all around, not knowing if it is a legitimate hide or not, and then neighbors start looking suspiciously at me. Here is one good exception:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-cd35b4b801d8

Oooops, Miragee already listed this one.

Edited by rjbloom & co

I generally don't like the front yard caches either! I hate getting there and looking all around, not knowing if it is a legitimate hide or not, and then neighbors start looking suspiciously at me. Here is one good exception:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-cd35b4b801d8

Oooops, Miragee already listed this one.

That is the key . . . having a good description that assures cachers they are looking in the right place and letting them know the neighbors are aware of the cache.

Maybe that should be a "requirement" for placing a "Front Yard Cache" to reduce the level of anxiety, and angst, these caches seem to be causing. idea.gif

I generally don't like the front yard caches either! I hate getting there and looking all around, not knowing if it is a legitimate hide or not, and then neighbors start looking suspiciously at me.
I would like them a lot better if the owner came out and offered me a cold beer! :rolleyes:

Now you're Talking. I was thinking of putting one in FATTBOYS front yard he always has beer in his garage frig. partytime.gif Then all we would need is the dancing girls green_haired_girl.gifI really do not like that type of Cache. But this one would be good. open 24/7

I generally don't like the front yard caches either! I hate getting there and looking all around, not knowing if it is a legitimate hide or not, and then neighbors start looking suspiciously at me.
I would like them a lot better if the owner came out and offered me a cold beer! :rolleyes:
Now you're Talking. I was thinking of putting one in FATTBOYS front yard he always has beer in his garage frig.

Given that FATTBOY put one in your front yard (well close enough, anyway) it'd only be fair...

I would like them a lot better if the owner came out and offered me a cold beer! ;)
Now you're Talking. I was thinking of putting one in FATTBOYS front yard he always has beer in his garage frig.

Given that FATTBOY put one in your front yard (well close enough, anyway) it'd only be fair...

And that was not the first cacher that he bestowed a FYC on! :rolleyes:

Now you're Talking. I was thinking of putting one in FATTBOYS front yard he always has beer in his garage frig. partytime.gif Then all we would need is the dancing girls green_haired_girl.gifI really do not like that type of Cache. But this one would be good. open 24/7

;) Someone should put together a bookmark list of all the beer caches. I know there's that one in San Marcos in front of the British Pub. Last time I was there the cache wasn't, so I went inside and had a pint of Guiness to celebrate my DNF! ;)

;) I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

Edited by jahoadi and john
I would like them a lot better if the owner came out and offered me a cold beer! :D

:D I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

Way tooooo much info... ;)

I don't want to know if some old NAVY guy has VD or where he got it!!

:rolleyes:;):D:D

Say does anybody know whatever happened to Radical Geezer? I forgot the website to track his status on his hike across the country.....

Here ya go!

Funny you should mention Bill. I'm just putting the finishing touches on his website. I'm just giving it a new look, making it a little easier to read. I'm by no means a "webmaster", but I think it came out okay:

http://wtetw.com/indexnew.htm

It will be up and running in a couple of days.

He says to say "hi". Hi.

I can only imagine all the caches he's passed by... :rolleyes:

Whats your opinion?

Good thing I had a rental car that day!!

Say does anybody know whatever happened to Radical Geezer? I forgot the website to track his status on his hike across the country.....

Here ya go!

Funny you should mention Bill. I'm just putting the finishing touches on his website. I'm just giving it a new look, making it a little easier to read. I'm by no means a "webmaster", but I think it came out okay:

He says to say "hi". Hi.

Very impressive what he's doing - and you for helping - btw, Google Video is spelled wrong!

;) I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

Mmmm! VB! ;)

Here ya go!

He says to say "hi". Hi.

I can only imagine all the caches he's passed by... ;)

Very impressive what he's doing - and you for helping - btw, Google Video is spelled wrong!

Yeah, I know, just testing you guys! :rolleyes:;)

Here ya go!

He says to say "hi". Hi.

Yeah, I know, just testing you guys! ;):D

Nice site Duncan! What would be really cool is a map of the US showing a track of where he's been! I think you can do it in Google Earth! ;)

Here ya go!

He says to say "hi". Hi.

Yeah, I know, just testing you guys! ;):D

Nice site Duncan! What would be really cool is a map of the US showing a track of where he's been! I think you can do it in Google Earth! ;)
Actually, Google Maps, as we've seen, if he's got a gpx file.

Pat said: :( Someone should put together a bookmark list of all the beer caches. I know there's that one in San Marcos in front of the British Pub. Last time I was there the cache wasn't, so I went inside and had a pint of Guiness to celebrate my DNF! :(

John says: Yep, I remember that night, sitting next to you in the Pub and having a beer too! :(

Jodi says: :laughing: I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

John says: I'm coming home this weekend to lock the frig.... :(

Dave says: Way tooooo much info... ;)

;);):(:(

John says: You sailor... Victoria Bitter (VB) Not Venere..... :tired:No beer for you ;)

Edited by jahoadi and john
Pat said: :( Someone should put together a bookmark list of all the beer caches. I know there's that one in San Marcos in front of the British Pub. Last time I was there the cache wasn't, so I went inside and had a pint of Guiness to celebrate my DNF! :laughing:

John says: Yep, I remember that night, sitting next to you in the Pub and having a beer too! :(

Jodi says: ;) I'll go put the garage door remote in our "backyard cache" so the next finder can have some of John's cold beer. (He doesn't need it anyways in Nevada). And no..it's not MGD..he's got VB in the garage!!!

John says: I'm coming home this weekend to lock the frig.... :(

Dave says: Way tooooo much info... :(

;):(:(:(

John says: You sailor... Victoria Bitter (VB) Not Venere..... :(No beer for you ;)

John, if you were on Seinfeld they'd call you the Beer Nazi! ;)No beer for you ;):tired: Edited by TrailGators
John says: You sailor... Victoria Bitter (VB) Not Venere..... :laughing:No beer for you ;)

I knew Victoria Bitter...she had a pretty face but a rather sour disposition... ;)

I think I hear a new cache series about to start, one named after "John Beers". Do you suppose the light beers will be micro's and the imports will be in foreign languages?

Heh...here's a log that should bring back some memories for all you old skool SD cachers.

This is from a new cache called "El Ahorcado" in Tucson.

El Ahorcado

As I recall, Duncan! once placed a cache and then camped out for my arrival to grill me for puzzle hints.

They've not reached that point yet out here. :laughing:

--TT--

Pure coincidence. I happened to be placing a phamplet about the presidio in the cache when the FTF frenzy started. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

D!

Heh...here's a log that should bring back some memories for all you old skool SD cachers.

This is from a new cache called "El Ahorcado" in Tucson.

El Ahorcado

As I recall, Duncan! once placed a cache and then camped out for my arrival to grill me for puzzle hints.

They've not reached that point yet out here. :laughing:

--TT--

Hey Jeff, at least you don't get cursed after an FTF!!

Home Run

D!

John says: You sailor... Victoria Bitter (VB) Not Venere..... ;)No beer for you :laughing:

I knew Victoria Bitter...she had a pretty face but a rather sour disposition... ;)

I think I hear a new cache series about to start, one named after "John Beers". Do you suppose the light beers will be micro's and the imports will be in foreign languages?

63.gif06.gif63.gif742.gif