The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

What's up with the San Diego Thread? It's almost on page 2 of the Southwest Forum! :lostsignal:

Just seems like there's nothing to talk about anymore...

It's been more than a year since anyone's flushed themselves out of a storm drain or broken their arm or ...

I tried to help out by going on the Navajo Adventure twice in one day, but I didn't die nor even hurt myself very much...

Edit: changed my mind - ha ha.

Dang! That's what I was doing wrong! B) (This only makes sense if you saw Chuy!'s original response...)

But I won't let my entry go to waste: Has anyone tried GSAK 7? Is it worth the upgrade? I am content with 6.X for the time being.

I've stayed with GSAK 6. The product is already worth more than what I paid for it and I wouldn't have any problem with paying for the upgrade if there was something that I needed. The fact is, though, that GSAK already does far more than I need it to. The one time I found something that GSAK didn't do out of the box, I was able to write a macro to provide that functionality.

Dang! That's what I was doing wrong! B) (This only makes sense if you saw Chuy!'s original response...)

But I won't let my entry go to waste: Has anyone tried GSAK 7? Is it worth the upgrade? I am content with 6.X for the time being.

I've stayed with GSAK 6. The product is already worth more than what I paid for it and I wouldn't have any problem with paying for the upgrade if there was something that I needed. The fact is, though, that GSAK already does far more than I need it to. The one time I found something that GSAK didn't do out of the box, I was able to write a macro to provide that functionality.

I agree #6 works fine, then again #5 worked just fine for what I do. B) I guess it just depends if you're a techno geek or not B)

I agree #6 works fine, then again #5 worked just fine for what I do. B) I guess it just depends if you're a techno geek or not B)

Upgrade. Gotta keep feeding the Guinnea Pig....

Ok, here is a question for you...

What is the most valuable container you have used for a cache?

Mine was a puple bison tube...to understand, you need to Check this out!

I searched for completed listings only, and they have actually sold several!

Unbelievable... :P

I'm not sure I understand what that purple tube does. Do you wear it or place it elsewhere :D ?

Dang! That's what I was doing wrong! :P (This only makes sense if you saw Chuy!'s original response...)

I agree #6 works fine, then again #5 worked just fine for what I do. :P I guess it just depends if you're a techno geek or not :D

Upgrade. Gotta keep feeding the Guinnea Pig....

While you're at it there's a new upgrade available for Garmin 60csX units.

Whoa! I've got some of those!

I never knew that all this time they were shielding me against "teslas". (Perhaps that's an indication of how good they work :D )

I wonder if the blue ones that I have are acting as a Gaussian Shield??? (I imagine that they work every bit as good as the purple ones... :P )

Ok, here is a question for you...

I searched for completed listings only, and they have actually sold several!

Unbelievable... :D

I'm not sure I understand what that purple tube does. Do you wear it or place it elsewhere :P ?

My ascension, synchronicity, and manifesting skills have been off a bit lately .... maybe I should get one of these :P

So as you all know, I travel quite a bit for work. I was just in San Antonio, TX with some customers for a conference. We all went geocaching and had some great experiences. Team ASU (their caching name) are totally hooked now. Anyways....flying back on Southwest Airlines in reading the airline's Spirit Magazine, we discovered that GPS receivers are an approved electronic to use while in flight.

Hmmmmm....so we turned it on....GOT A SIGNAL.......and tracked our way back home. I have a Garmin 60CS and we were able to see what major cities we were flying over and how fast we were going. I think the elevation thingy was off...it mentioned that we were 631ft up........(we've got problems if that's the case) and we were flying at 421MPH. It was really cool.

Anyway, thought it was worth a mention. Make sure you're on a window seat and have the GPS right next to the window to gain a signal. Honestly don't know if this would interfere with plane electronics...but as it was mentioned in the Airline magazine, maybe they're thinking we wouldn't get a signal? Dunno?

thoughts?

So as you all know, I travel quite a bit for work. I was just in San Antonio, TX with some customers for a conference. We all went geocaching and had some great experiences. Team ASU (their caching name) are totally hooked now. Anyways....flying back on Southwest Airlines in reading the airline's Spirit Magazine, we discovered that GPS receivers are an approved electronic to use while in flight.

Hmmmmm....so we turned it on....GOT A SIGNAL.......and tracked our way back home. I have a Garmin 60CS and we were able to see what major cities we were flying over and how fast we were going. I think the elevation thingy was off...it mentioned that we were 631ft up........(we've got problems if that's the case) and we were flying at 421MPH. It was really cool.

Anyway, thought it was worth a mention. Make sure you're on a window seat and have the GPS right next to the window to gain a signal. Honestly don't know if this would interfere with plane electronics...but as it was mentioned in the Airline magazine, maybe they're thinking we wouldn't get a signal? Dunno?

thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem with the aircraft at all, 'cause GPSr is just a RECEIVER -- it does not transmit anything and just receives whatever signal is being sent from space satellites. Those signals exist regardless of whether or not the GPSr in the plane is on or off...

Edited by FlagMan

thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem with the aircraft at all, 'cause GPSr is just a RECEIVER -- it does not transmit anything and just receives whatever signal is being sent from space satellites. Those signals exist regardless of whether or not the GPSr in the plane is on or off...

Yep, GPS receivers work just fine on airline flights. Been doing that for some time now. In my case the elevation readngs were fine. More fun is setting up a caches-along-a-flgiht-route PQ for your flight to see how far you are from the caches you're flying over. :laughing:

thoughts?

Yep, GPS receivers work just fine on airline flights. Been doing that for some time now. In my case the elevation readngs were fine. More fun is setting up a caches-along-a-flgiht-route PQ for your flight to see how far you are from the caches you're flying over. :laughing:

Hey! I'm only 2 feet away! Let me out! :laughing:

All electronic devices emit some amount of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) -- GPS receivers included -- and can potentially interfere with onboard navigation systems and that's why they don't like you to use them during critical phases of the flight (i.e. landing). It's not real clear how much a problem this is really -- the information available is highly conflicted -- but the FAA and airlines have taken the stance that if there's the slightest chance of it leading to an "event", ban it. Mid-flight, even if something does interfere, there is plenty of time to correct a problem that arises so the rules are relaxed.

Different kinds of devices tend to emit different amounts of EMR. Game Boys, laptops, iPods, cellphones in "flight-mode" and GPSrs emit low amounts and are thus approved for inflight use. AM/FM/TV receivers tend to emit EMR higher than the allowed threshold and thus, even though they are merely "receivers" they are banned for in-flight use. (Just because something is a "receiver" doesn't meant that it cannot be a "transmitter" of EMR and therefore does not mean that it's approved for use in flight.)

One thing to be aware of though, is that the Captain of the aircraft has the right to prohibit the use of any device (approved or not) if he or she believes that it might interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft. Because of the hypersensitivity to terrorism, people have sometimes been asked not to use GPS receivers on board an aircraft because of some fear that they could be used in aiding and abetting a terrorist act. Maybe now that it's hitting the in-flight magazines as being acceptable, GPSr users should have less of this type of a problem.

Fun fact #1: You'd think that cellphones are banned for in-flight use by the FAA but they are not. It's the FCC that bans cell phones from in-flight use. The problem is that a cell phone that is up in the air will tend to "see" more base stations than one that is on the ground and cause interference to the cell phone network.

Fun fact #2: SR-71 pilots were some of the first users of GPSr in aircraft. They discovered that off-the-shelf Trimble Scout GPSrs were far easier to use and as accurate as the on-board navigation systems. When they tried to buy them through official channels, though, the bureaucracy said "No!" So the SR-71 pilots bought them as "escape and evasion aids" instead.

Fun fact #3: Many of the early handheld GPSrs would not correctly display speeds above 100mph. Magellen and Garmin (among others) were concerned that the handheld market would eat into the very profitable market for aviation GPSrs and so they deliberately crippled the handhelds. Fortunately, they recognized this as a losing gaming and gave up on this "feature".

What's up with the San Diego Thread? It's almost on page 2 of the Southwest Forum! :laughing:

It's been more than a year since anyone's flushed themselves out of a storm drain or broken their arm or ...

I tried to help out by going on the Navajo Adventure twice in one day, but I didn't die nor even hurt myself very much...

What's up with the San Diego Thread? It's almost on page 2 of the Southwest Forum! :laughing:

It is the start of turkey season tomorrow and myself and someone are hiking about 4 miles into Boden canyon around 3:30 am in the dark, so no telling what might happen. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited by Team Fatman

I visited the mud caves in Arroyo Tapiado today and saw a surprising number of vehicle parts and tire treads on the trails. In case you missed it, there was a recent San Diego Weekly Reader article about Anza-Borrego Desert State Park where Jerry Schad gave the author Geof Bouvier a tour of the mud caves and Carrizo Badlands. I don't know if it is related, but the park service appears to have recently graded the Vallecito Creek Road route into the badlands and the Arroyo Tapiado wash trail at least as far as Carey's Big Mud Cave. Combine those two items and I suspect that a lot of people read the article and have gone out to find the caves -- apparently driving their Hyundais, Saturns, and Kias by the looks of the pieces on the trail. I saw a Dodge Neon with a driver and 4 passengers heading into the arroyo as I left -- hope they didn't hit a bump. From the tracks and the tire carcass I found, it looks like someone drove home on the rim.

I hauled out a load of stuff worthy of a CITO event :smile: . Know anyone who lost a complete metallic dark-green fender guard?

thoughts?

I flew from the east coast recently on an airline (Delta?) that allowed GPS use during flight. I've always wanted to know what I was seeing below me and it was fascinating following our flight path. Having the GPS track us across the country was awesome and my entire row enjoyed it :smile:. I was surprised to find that our pilot seemed to follow the interstates from New Mexico into San Diego (yes, the 'stay on roads' feature was turned off :huh: ).

As for the elevation thingy, I'm not sure about the 60CS, but it seems a 'unique' feature of the 60CSx and the 76CSx is that they both use the barometric altimeter for the elevation data display and there apparently is no way to make it use the calculated altitude. That means that the cabin pressure "altitude" is likely what you were seeing displayed. You can see the calculated altitude by keying 'menu/GPS elevation" from the satellite page. That readout is useful for calibrating the altimeter if you don't know the correct altitude or pressure.

Edited by M2

:(Good Morning San Diego.....returning to the "Sport" after 2 years away (new name, Etc.) when in SD I'll be camping in the Hillcrest area.......hope to cross trails with some of the local cacheing folks.. :huh:

Welcome back! So what was your "old" name? Hope to see you out there! Hopefully we won't trip over your campsite caching in the Hillcrest canyons... :smile:

What's up with the San Diego Thread? It's almost on page 2 of the Southwest Forum! :P

It is the start of turkey season tomorrow and myself and someone are hiking about 4 miles into Boden canyon around 3:30 am in the dark, so no telling what might happen. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Two less turkeys in the world, plus I did three caches,it don't get any better then that. :laughing:

What's up with the San Diego Thread? It's almost on page 2 of the Southwest Forum! :P

Two less turkeys in the world, plus I did three caches,it don't get any better then that. :laughing:

Mmmm, I like Wild Turkey!

Mmmm, I like Wild Turkey!

101 or the one with feathers?

Love using my 60csx in the airplane, sometimes surreptiously. I like to see where I am, or to mark a waypoint over some interesting feature so I can see what it is later. I've noticed it takes sometimes 5 satellites to get a position when they are all out the same window. I thought it would be four, but the Garmin folks must have an algorithm that takes into account the position of the satellites or something. I sit there with my GPS up against the window waiting for a position for a long time, sometimes. The worry about electronic devices on airplanes is over-paranoid in my opinion. And I worked for Boeing on commercial airplanes for 9 years making sure the probability of a serious event was 1 x 10-9. Hmm, I forget the units.

Here's a question about flying across country. If you are flying to Miami, say, stopping in Houston, say, do you load your GPS with waypoints for Houston just in case you get stuck there for the night?

:laughing: TWO TURKET'S WHAT DID YOU FIND ONE ON THE GROUND ?

:P FATTBOY :laughing:

I usually just pick mine up in the butcher's section at Von's. I don't have to worry about chopping on shot that way.

Ha Ha you both are so funny :shocked::laughing: This is a day that some of us will never forget. :laughing: Sorry about the cold, just heat the 101 alitle and you should be fine. :laughing:

:D TWO TURKET'S WHAT DID YOU FIND ONE ON THE GROUND ?

:( FATTBOY :)

I usually just pick mine up in the butcher's section at Von's. I don't have to worry about chopping on shot that way.

Ha Ha you both are so funny :(:) This is a day that some of us will never forget. ;) Sorry about the cold, just heat the 101 alitle and you should be fine. :D

I saw a dead turkey on S-2 just after the log cabin restaurant on the way to the desert Fri , Sunday when I came home it was gone. I should have grabbed it. Turkey dinner in the desert. :)41.gif

I mine it was only slightly damaged

thoughts?

I flew from the east coast recently on an airline (Delta?) that allowed GPS use during flight. I've always wanted to know what I was seeing below me and it was fascinating following our flight path. Having the GPS track us across the country was awesome and my entire row enjoyed it :(. I was surprised to find that our pilot seemed to follow the interstates from New Mexico into San Diego (yes, the 'stay on roads' feature was turned off :) ).

As for the elevation thingy, I'm not sure about the 60CS, but it seems a 'unique' feature of the 60CSx and the 76CSx is that they both use the barometric altimeter for the elevation data display and there apparently is no way to make it use the calculated altitude. That means that the cabin pressure "altitude" is likely what you were seeing displayed. You can see the calculated altitude by keying 'menu/GPS elevation" from the satellite page. That readout is useful for calibrating the altimeter if you don't know the correct altitude or pressure.

Heh....I did this a couple of years ago on a flight across country. The stewardess (or flight attendant for the Doublespeakers out there) got into a snit about whether it was allowable during flight. I said it was and asked her to check with the pilot. Pilot said it was all good. Took these funny photos, though:

d80883da-035d-4d49-a073-6e3c23913206.jpg

618f4bc7-0605-4477-ad4b-4a5b75dcad91.jpg

b3b5df7d-d955-40d8-bb23-68072b1e9bbf.jpg

--TT--

Hey SlabyFam Dad Stopping in to say hi to all my friends. Yes I am Back in the game. I will be picking off a few caches at a time. If anyone is interested in mountain biking a area and wants some company let me know I can usually get off work by 3:30 mon-fri.I am also willing to hike or go cache hunting all times of the night. You know I like :o:o Hunting :rolleyes::D Hope to see everyone at the EVENT! :o:D:D:D

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

PS I even grabbed a few caches tonight!

Edited by SlabyFam
Hey SlabyFam Dad Stopping in to say hi to all my friends. Yes I am Back in the game. I will be picking off a few caches at a time. If anyone is interested in mountain biking a area and wants some company let me know I can usually get off work by 3:30 mon-fri.I am also willing to hike or go cache hunting all times of the night. You know I like :rolleyes::o Hunting :o:D Hope to see everyone at the EVENT! :D:D:D:o

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

Hi Tim, Check out the San Diego Events thread. There was one 4x4 group and two different hikes this past weekend. Feel free join us or to post the place, date, meeting place and meeting time for anything that you want to do. :D Edited by TrailGators
Hey SlabyFam Dad Stopping in to say hi to all my friends. Yes I am Back in the game. I will be picking off a few caches at a time. If anyone is interested in mountain biking a area and wants some company let me know I can usually get off work by 3:30 mon-fri.I am also willing to hike or go cache hunting all times of the night. You know I like :rolleyes::o Hunting :o:D Hope to see everyone at the EVENT! :D:D:D:o

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

Hi Tim, Check out the San Diego Events thread. There was one 4x4 group and two different hikes this past weekend. Feel free join us or to post the place, date, meeting place and meeting time for anything that you want to do. :D

Thats super sweet. What do you guys have planned for the CITO weekend in the desert?

I will try to watch the forum. Have will travel over almost anything. Have mountain bike and hiking shoes. Looks like I am all set!

This weekend will be slow (easter) Spending time with all the SlabyFam :D

Tim

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

Hi Tim, Check out the San Diego Events thread. There was one 4x4 group and two different hikes this past weekend. Feel free join us or to post the place, date, meeting place and meeting time for anything that you want to do. :D

Thats super sweet. What do you guys have planned for the CITO weekend in the desert?

I will try to watch the forum. Have will travel over almost anything. Have mountain bike and hiking shoes. Looks like I am all set!

This weekend will be slow (easter) Spending time with all the SlabyFam :D

Tim

I like doing moderate hikes (3-3.5) in cool areas. I don't MB but there are plenty that do. If I can go to that event, I would like to hit some of the must-do caches out there that I haven't hit yet. Last time I was out there we hit Duncan's Domelands. The time before that, we hit Dak Girls' TombRaider. The time before that, we hit RocketMan's Slots of Fun and the Dak Girls' Basilisk caches. Is the X-Files cache a must-do? If so, maybe we can get some people to do that one....

I'll be with the TrailGatorFam this weekend. :D

Hey SlabyFam Dad Stopping in to say hi to all my friends. Yes I am Back in the game. I will be picking off a few caches at a time. If anyone is interested in mountain biking a area and wants some company let me know I can usually get off work by 3:30 mon-fri.I am also willing to hike or go cache hunting all times of the night. You know I like :laughing::unsure: Hunting :blink::laughing: Hope to see everyone at the EVENT! :rolleyes::blink::huh::P

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

Hi Tim. Glad to see you back in action after all this time. If you make it out to CO, look me up and we will do some off roading in them big hills around here. Dave

Hey, here's another ghost from caching past. :laughing: --- Parsa

The nice thing about caching is you can take a break and come back because it is always there. My personal record longest break without finding a cache is 211 days. I found that little bit of trivia after I uploaded my finds PQ to It's not about the numbers. Anyhow, welcome back Steve! :laughing:

Good to hear from you Parsa. I hope to see you back in action sometime soon like SlabyFam. You are welcome here in CO also.

It's interesting that you mention the 211 days Pat because my longest time without a cache was 207 days, but that was early on in 2001 when I was just getting into it.

Hey SlabyFam Dad Stopping in to say hi to all my friends. Yes I am Back in the game. I will be picking off a few caches at a time. If anyone is interested in mountain biking a area and wants some company let me know I can usually get off work by 3:30 mon-fri.I am also willing to hike or go cache hunting all times of the night. You know I like :laughing::unsure: Hunting :blink::laughing: Hope to see everyone at the EVENT! :rolleyes::blink::huh::P

PM me for my cell number

SlabyFam DAD

Hi Tim. Glad to see you back in action after all this time. If you make it out to CO, look me up and we will do some off roading in them big hills around here. Dave

Thanks Dave Maybe we can make that happen! Take care!