The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

The Dak Girls are offering a great series up for adoption.

The DAK Girls posted a note for Triwizard Tournament - The Goblet of Fire (Multi-cache) at 2/5/2007

Log Date: 2/5/2007

[:laughing:] The time has come for us to shut down this cache series. Both time and the elements of weather have played its toll on the various components of this cache.

Therefore, rather than have the quality deteriorate any further we would prefer to "Archive" the cache.

The one option that we have not considered in the past was to put the cache up for "adoption". If anyone would like to take on this role please let us know.

We are aware that several of the containers are need immediate replacement, and Gabrielle may or may not be actually missing altogether. [:laughing:]

If interested please give us a shout,

The DAK Girls

Just a heads up...they'll be airing our bit on geocaching on Fox 6 news on Monday, Feb 5th at 10p.m.

Now...if I can stay up that late..I'll be good. I'm usually in bed by 9. :) However, if I'm lucky, I believe she said they'll be posting it to the web as well. :P

I have been hearing commercials on the radio today for this...

They've been running promos since Friday too. I haven't heard the radio piece. Do you hear my son talking on the radio promo? The reported contacted me on Saturday and told me that the piece turned out really nice. We''ll see. Now I'm nervous. :)

I have the radio on at work so I hear it every hour or two. Yes, I hear a couple words from your son in the promo. The bad is that I think they start the promo mentioning "Buried Treasure".... :unsure:

Hey! Just caught the broadcast. Nice job, Geogeeks!

Just a heads up...they'll be airing our bit on geocaching on Fox 6 news on Monday, Feb 5th at 10p.m.

Now...if I can stay up that late..I'll be good. I'm usually in bed by 9. :) However, if I'm lucky, I believe she said they'll be posting it to the web as well. :P

I have been hearing commercials on the radio today for this...

They've been running promos since Friday too. I haven't heard the radio piece. Do you hear my son talking on the radio promo? The reported contacted me on Saturday and told me that the piece turned out really nice. We''ll see. Now I'm nervous. :)

I have the radio on at work so I hear it every hour or two. Yes, I hear a couple words from your son in the promo. The bad is that I think they start the promo mentioning "Buried Treasure".... :unsure:

Hey! Just caught the broadcast. Nice job, Geogeeks!

Typical media ... it ain't burried and it ain't treasure.

Now...if I can stay up that late..I'll be good. I'm usually in bed by 9. :unsure: However, if I'm lucky, I believe she said they'll be posting it to the web as well. :P

Congratulations, the spot was great! Roxy was a star -- and just in time for the Oscars!

I gave up watching CSI and I watched it! I kept telling my wife "It's coming up next!" They finally showed the piece with about 10 minutes left in the hour of news. :):unsure: I thought they did a great job with the piece. The locations looked very nice! The info that was given was very organized and informative as well. Great job Team Geogeeks! :P

Where do we go to vote????? Does anybody have a link to that?

It would be nice to see some of our caches and events get something!

It's too late to vote. I guess the link was in someone's log on the event page. I checked the event page but never noticed the link either. Oh well, there's always next year! :blink:

It's too late to nominate, but it shouldn't be too late to vote, at least not according to the timeline posted on the "Best of SoCal" thread...

Here is the timeline for the awards:

Nominations - Begin Dec 29 and continue through Jan 31, 2007

Voting - Online ballots will begin Feb 2 and close on Feb 15

Awards - To be issued at the Temecula Valley Event on Feb 18, 2007

This thing wasn't well publicized. There have only been four responses to that thread, so I never noticed it. Anyhow, here is the link for the thread.

Sorry guys, I tried to spread the word, but didn't get much response in this thread. I would have loved to go out and email everybody, but I just didn't have the time to be able to do that.

There was a delay in getting the voting ballots ready. It took more time to set-up the bookmark and get the page ready, but its online now. I posted the info in the awards thread, but here is a copy:

-----------------------------------------

At last...ITS TIME TO VOTE!!!

The last stage of the 2006 Best of Socal Awards is ready for you! The nominees have been compiled and the official ballot is now online.

The voting ballot is available here:

http://www.showstop.org/geocache-awards/

The ballot is available from now until Feb 15 at 11:59pm. Voting is only available online, no voting will take place at the Temecula event.

A bookmark list of all the caches and their categories is also available for reference:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...7f-d1fb278a6bb8

Good luck to all the nominees on the ballot! See ya at the event!

-------------------------------------------

Best thing I can say now is let everybody know to vote for the SD caches and hopefully those will win in their categories.

There are a few SD caches that did make the cut:

The Finale: HELL'S ASCENT by Dante

Caching Naked by what's hang'n HaZzMaTt...

'GEO OCOTILLO' CITO Event by PassingWind and SKILLET

The Great 78 CITO Attempt 1.5 - NOT Earth Day by PassingWind & SKILLET

For sure one of your CITO events will win since they were the only ones nominated for the CITO category. :ph34r:

If this works out well this year, I'll ask Cornerstone4 to host the awards each year at the Temecula event. Maybe next year we will hope to see lots more SD caches get nominated. Heck, this is better then the 2005 awards when no SD caches were even on the list.

The Finale: HELL'S ASCENT by Dante - Best Hard Terrain Cache

Caching Naked by what's hang'n HaZzMaTt... - Most Challenging Cache

'GEO OCOTILLO' CITO Event by PassingWind and SKILLET - Best CITO event

The Great 78 CITO Attempt 1.5 - NOT Earth Day by PassingWind & SKILLET - Best CITO event

Oops, just noticed two more SD caches on the list:

The Adrenaline Cache (revived)(revived) by travelita (Adopted By GoBolts!) - Most Challenging Cache

4th ANNUAL 'GEO OCOTILLO' CAMPOUT by San Diego County Geocachers - Best Event Cache

The Great 78 CITO Attempt 1.5 - NOT Earth Day by PassingWind & SKILLET - Best CITO event

The Adrenaline Cache (revived)(revived) by travelita (Adopted By GoBolts!) - Most Challenging Cache

4th ANNUAL 'GEO OCOTILLO' CAMPOUT by San Diego County Geocachers - Best Event Cache

It's really too bad because you guys missed a lot of other great San Diego caches....

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :blink:

Actually we already have a vote! It's called the San Diego Consensus Favorites list! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

It's really too bad because you guys missed a lot of other great San Diego caches....

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :blink:

Actually we already have a vote! It's called the San Diego Consensus Favorites list! :ph34r:

I had also posted notes several weeks ago in this thread to encourage nominations...

Tyler has been doing this for several years at the end of the year picnic for the socalgeocachers. He had asked me if we could host the awards at our event since we have been having such a great turnout, and I happily agreed.

Let's support the San Diego caches that got nominated, and next year, let's get more nominations in!

My main reason for getting behind this is to encourage folks to visit other areas of So Cal. Maybe next year, we should push the event back to March to allow more time for the process. I for one would like to have the time to go visit a lot of the caches that are nominated. I'd love to see some of the cammo that others are using!

Hopefully, after having the awards this year, it will raise awareness for next year and we can get more participation. Many folks don't visit the forums, so they never heard about it.

I'm going to suggest that all of the winning caches have a link to the awards forums so folks will be expecting it at the end of next year.

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :ph34r:

I had also posted notes several weeks ago in this thread to encourage nominations...

Tyler has been doing this for several years at the end of the year picnic for the socalgeocachers. He had asked me if we could host the awards at our event since we have been having such a great turnout, and I happily agreed.

Let's support the San Diego caches that got nominated, and next year, let's get more nominations in!

My main reason for getting behind this is to encourage folks to visit other areas of So Cal. Maybe next year, we should push the event back to March to allow more time for the process. I for one would like to have the time to go visit a lot of the caches that are nominated. I'd love to see some of the cammo that others are using!

Hopefully, after having the awards this year, it will raise awareness for next year and we can get more participation. Many folks don't visit the forums, so they never heard about it.

I'm going to suggest that all of the winning caches have a link to the awards forums so folks will be expecting it at the end of next year.

Based on SD favorites these five 2006 San Diego caches should have been nominated:

Indiana Jones: The Lost Relic of Rapa Nui

Tomb Raider

Indiana Jones: The Lost City of Atlantis

The Hunt For Red October

Paul and Randy's Excellent Adventure

Is there a way to get at least these five added? :blink:

Edited by TrailGators

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :ph34r:

Based on SD favorites these five 2006 San Diego caches should have been nominated:

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Is there a way to get at least these five added? :ph34r:

Now that the voting has started, I cant change the ballot. I would have to re-issue a whole new ballot. I'm afraid its too late for this year. :blink:

Find me at the Temecula event and we can discuss the awards and see if there is a better way to get all of the San Diego folks involved. This is only the 2nd year I've done the awards. Each time they were hosted online at a different place and awarded at a different venue. Some of this is done to spread the awareness, other reasons are a little more complicated. In any case, I'm still learning new things about the process each year. Hopefully I can further improve the awards (and awareness) for next year.

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :huh:

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Is there a way to get at least these five added? :ph34r:

Now that the voting has started, I cant change the ballot. I would have to re-issue a whole new ballot. I'm afraid its too late for this year. :blink:

Find me at the Temecula event and we can discuss the awards and see if there is a better way to get all of the San Diego folks involved. This is only the 2nd year I've done the awards. Each time they were hosted online at a different place and awarded at a different venue. Some of this is done to spread the awareness, other reasons are a little more complicated. In any case, I'm still learning new things about the process each year. Hopefully I can further improve the awards (and awareness) for next year.

OK here's one last possibility......

How about providing an option for a write-in vote on the current ballot?! Then we could all write-in our favorite SD caches! :ph34r: That doesn't mess up any of the current voting.... :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

Now that the voting has started, I cant change the ballot. I would have to re-issue a whole new ballot. I'm afraid its too late for this year. :ph34r:

How about providing an option for a write-in vote on the current ballot?! Then we could all write-in our favorite SD caches! :ph34r: That doesn't mess up any of the current voting.... :ph34r:

Yikes, write in votes are the last thing I want. What a huge nightmare to tabulate. :blink:

I'd still have to modify the ballot and start a new one to do that, so no can do.

Now that the voting has started, I cant change the ballot. I would have to re-issue a whole new ballot. I'm afraid its too late for this year. :ph34r:

How about providing an option for a write-in vote on the current ballot?! Then we could all write-in our favorite SD caches! :huh: That doesn't mess up any of the current voting.... :ph34r:

Yikes, write in votes are the last thing I want. What a huge nightmare to tabulate. :blink:

I'd still have to modify the ballot and start a new one to do that, so no can do.

Oh well... :ph34r: Thanks for trying! I'll cast my votes for the six SD caches that made it. :ph34r: Maybe if all of us vote for those six caches we might stand a chance against the LA caches! :huh: Next year we will for sure get a link posted to this thread <several times> so people know where to go to nominate our caches! B)

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :huh:

Actually we already have a vote! It's called the San Diego Consensus Favorites list! :bad:

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Is there a way to get at least these five added? :P

The Hunt For Red October?!? Really?!? Y'all must be sadists! :P

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! ;)

Actually we already have a vote! It's called the San Diego Consensus Favorites list! :P

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Is there a way to get at least these five added? :bad:

The Hunt For Red October?!? Really?!? Y'all must be sadists! :P

:huh: Somebody said "Y'all gonna die!" and weez all still here! :o Edited by TrailGators

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :P

Actually we already have a vote! It's called the San Diego Consensus Favorites list! :P

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

The Hunt For Red October?!? Really?!? Y'all must be sadists! :huh:

:o Somebody said "Y'all gonna die!" and weez all still here! ;)

Who say dat?

Maybe San Diego could hold it's own vote and award cachers at some future SD event to recognize these cachers! :P

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Who say dat?

Some rowdy cowboy..... ;)

Tomb Raider

The Hunt For Red October

Who say dat?

Maybe it's time to move along? What's done is done. This is, I gather, something they've done for a number of years now. They have tried to include San Diego, the southern most of the Southern Cal geocachers. The link was posted and we were invited to nominate caches, and vote. Some people read it, and others missed it. That's life. Expecting ShowStop to jump through a bunch of hoops to make last minute exceptions is a bit unreasonable, IMO. There is always next year. Why not vote, make the best of it, applaud those caches that did make the list--where ever they are, and enjoy the awards to follow?

New topic. How about we exchange some comments on the logistics of how we do our caching? I bet there are a lot of ways to do it.

Data Gathering

I have pocket queries set up for Home (Clairemont), Chula Vista, Rancho Sante Fe, Poway, Ramona, El Cajon/Santee, etc. 300 or 400 caches. Set for only caches I haven't found and are active. I get updates about once a week. I save about one query a month, to get access to old logs. Once I figure out where I'm going to concentrate on, I import the old and then the new queries into GSAK, and then I use the filter command to view caches with a GPX file date of earlier than my last file. Then I delete all these caches. This gets rid of caches that I've found or that have gone away. I make sure the remaining list is 900 caches or less. The limit of 1000 waypoints is quite annoying. Oh, I also get notifications of new caches sent to my email.

Cache Data

I've set up GSAK to give the cache name a 'smart name' and put the last four logs and cache size in the description field, and give each non-traditional cache type a unique symbol (like 'shopping cart' for multicaches). Then I transfer the waypoints to my Garmin 60 csx directly from GSAK (after deleting the previous set.) I also export them to the PDA, and then sync the PDA. I keep a file of all the puzzles that I've solved but not found in a MapSource file (along with a few other waypoints, like my caches and 'Home'). I then load that file into the Garmin. I could probably keep that database in a GSAK database, but I don't.

Getting There

I use Google Earth with the geocaching KML loaded (the older version that showed the different cache types as different symbols), or I just load versions exported from GSAK (and Mapsource, for the puzzles). Then I can see the paths to take to the caches. I may read some of the caches in advance to look for parking suggestions or other difficulties. I print out some Google Earth maps (in draft form to save ink.)

The Find

I follow the arrow to the cache and use the PDA data for descriptions or hints when I need them. I don't type anything into the PDA on the caches, I just keep track in my head which caches I've visited. I do write down notes on paper of where I left bugs and their numbers.

Anyway, I've found the above to be pretty efficient, but I'm sure there are other equally good or even better ways to do this. I've heard people use pocket queries of all caches by date. Or they use their phone to log finds. Or bring along a laptop, etc.

Maybe it's time to move along? What's done is done. This is, I gather, something they've done for a number of years now. They have tried to include San Diego, the southern most of the Southern Cal geocachers. The link was posted and we were invited to nominate caches, and vote. Some people read it, and others missed it. That's life. Expecting ShowStop to jump through a bunch of hoops to make last minute exceptions is a bit unreasonable, IMO. There is always next year. Why not vote, make the best of it, applaud those caches that did make the list--where ever they are, and enjoy the awards to follow?
S&R nobody ever posted a link on this thread and that is what annoyed me. IMHO using the favorites bookmarks is a lot more accurate way to collect the data to decide which cache was actually "The Best of..." I have compiled that data (without using an automated system) and we have a list of caches that deserve some recognition. Since the other thing is done deal, I thought I would mention them in this thread and say good job guys! :D I would also encourage people to make favorites lists so we can get data from more people for next year. <_<
New topic. How about we exchange some comments on the logistics of how we do our caching? I bet there are a lot of ways to do it.

Data Gathering

I have pocket queries set up for Home (Clairemont), Chula Vista, Rancho Sante Fe, Poway, Ramona, El Cajon/Santee, etc. 300 or 400 caches. Set for only caches I haven't found and are active. I get updates about once a week. I save about one query a month, to get access to old logs. Once I figure out where I'm going to concentrate on, I import the old and then the new queries into GSAK, and then I use the filter command to view caches with a GPX file date of earlier than my last file. Then I delete all these caches. This gets rid of caches that I've found or that have gone away. I make sure the remaining list is 900 caches or less. The limit of 1000 waypoints is quite annoying. Oh, I also get notifications of new caches sent to my email.

Cache Data

I've set up GSAK to give the cache name a 'smart name' and put the last four logs and cache size in the description field, and give each non-traditional cache type a unique symbol (like 'shopping cart' for multicaches). Then I transfer the waypoints to my Garmin 60 csx directly from GSAK (after deleting the previous set.) I also export them to the PDA, and then sync the PDA. I keep a file of all the puzzles that I've solved but not found in a MapSource file (along with a few other waypoints, like my caches and 'Home'). I then load that file into the Garmin. I could probably keep that database in a GSAK database, but I don't.

Getting There

I use Google Earth with the geocaching KML loaded (the older version that showed the different cache types as different symbols), or I just load versions exported from GSAK (and Mapsource, for the puzzles). Then I can see the paths to take to the caches. I may read some of the caches in advance to look for parking suggestions or other difficulties. I print out some Google Earth maps (in draft form to save ink.)

The Find

I follow the arrow to the cache and use the PDA data for descriptions or hints when I need them. I don't type anything into the PDA on the caches, I just keep track in my head which caches I've visited. I do write down notes on paper of where I left bugs and their numbers.

Anyway, I've found the above to be pretty efficient, but I'm sure there are other equally good or even better ways to do this. I've heard people use pocket queries of all caches by date. Or they use their phone to log finds. Or bring along a laptop, etc.

:):D Geesh..you must be an engineer! <_< I just write the coords on a little yellow sticky post-it note and enter them into my GPS at the first red-light I come to on my way from work and pray I remember what the hint was!! Google Maps? I follow the arrow! I've ruined a few pair of dress shoes, but heck..it's fun!! R/ jodi

Data Gathering

We have only a Home query and a Work query. The work query is setup to a distance that we can reasonably reach at lunch. Home is currently 22 miles. We normally update weekly. Home query is limited to 200, but there are really only about 40 caches currently in the query. Work is limited to 500. Queries are loaded into GSAK. If we are planning a trip outside these areas, we just load a new query on top.

Cache Data

We also setup GSAK to use smart names. For uploads to the GPSr, the description is set to give type of container, size, GCNumber minus the GC, name and who put it out. We use GSAK to export to smart phone as HTML pages. We keep all caches in GSAK, including found caches, but filter them and only send unfound caches to the GPS and phone.

Getting There

I use Google Earth with the geocaching KML loaded (the older version that showed the different cache types as different symbols), or I just load versions exported from GSAK (and Mapsource, for the puzzles). Then I can see the paths to take to the caches. I may read some of the caches in advance to look for parking suggestions or other difficulties. I print out some Google Earth maps (in draft form to save ink.) Yup, same as you.

The Find

I follow the arrow to the cache and use the PDA data for descriptions or hints when I need them. Hit the "found" button to mark them as found, so that we don't forget which ones need to be logged. TB numbers are kept on scrap paper, like you.

Overall, not much different from you except that we keep found caches in GSAK. Some people we know keep a separate dbase of just found caches.

Data Gathering

I have many canned PQs of many areas. I only run them and load them when I need them.

Cache Data

I use GSAK to add the cache type, container type and terrain rating into my GPS and my Palm. However, since the new 7 digit GC numbers came out it messes up Express Logger so now I just load the GC numbers to get around that issue.

Getting There

I cut and paste coordinates into Google Maps to take a quick look at the cache areas I am headed to. Sometimes I'll print a map of the area with the caches. I still love paper maps!

The Find

Like S&R, I follow the arrow to the cache and use the PDA data for descriptions or hints when I need them. Hit the "found" button to mark them as found. I also mark them found in my PDA and write notes so I can remember the cache better when I go to log it.

S&R nobody ever posted a link on this thread and that is what annoyed me. IMHO using the favorites bookmarks is a lot more accurate way to collect the data to decide which cache was actually "The Best of..." I have compiled that data (without using an automated system) and we have a list of caches that deserve some recognition. Since the other thing is done deal, I thought I would mention them in this thread and say good job guys! <_< I would also encourage people to make favorites lists so we can get data from more people for next year. :D

I saw the invitation in the general West and Southwest webpage.

I generally refrain from submitting candidates and voting 'cause it becomes an Us v. Them game. Unless someone visits all the caches in a category, how do you know which is the best one? That is, only cachers that have visited all the caches in a category should vote.

I like the consensus list we have better.

I generally refrain from submitting candidates and voting 'cause it becomes an Us v. Them game. Unless someone visits all the caches in a category, how do you know which is the best one? That is, only cachers that have visited all the caches in a category should vote. I like the consensus list we have better.
I voted for all the San Diego caches cause I want "us" to win! <_<

Anyhow, I totally agree with you Chuy! :D

Data Gathering

Cache Data

Getting There

The Find

I still haven't figured out how to do all the fancy stuff that GSAK can do. I have two pocket queries that run every day -- 25 mile radius of unfound caches and 300 mile radius of all new caches (1-week or less). This populates my GSAK database and I filter from there. I can still fit all unfound caches within 25 mile radius in my GPSr (875 total now, but used to be be under 100 a year or so ago...). That takes care of almost all my day-to-day caching needs. When I'm going somewhere outside that radius, I just create a new pocket query and put the results in a new GSAK database. Rarely do I look at any maps in advance -- just follow the arrow. This gets me in lots of trouble sometimes when my auto-routing sends me to somewhere stupid because it isn't smart enough to know where all the trailheads are. But I just figured out how to get topo maps and the entire USA street maps in the GPSr, so I can switch back and forth to topo maps now. Maybe that will help. Sometimes I take Max (the dog) with me to help with the find. He has not been any help yet, but I keep trying. Maybe some day he will actually sniff out a cache like Becca (Mini-Max) and Ginger seem to do on a regular basis...

All this probably explains why all the new guys seem to be passing me by like I'm standing still...

S&R nobody ever posted a link on this thread and that is what annoyed me.

That is just not true...

Check this post from early January.

That is a post quoting my announcement and providing a link to more info...what else could I do?

The bookmarked favorites includes caches that were placed before 2006, so that doesn't work either.

I see this thread doing more to making it an "us vs. them" topic than having the awards ever could! <_< The whole point is to get the nominations in, and then encourage people to visit other areas and see other cachers hides. Sometimes it's nice to get out of your own sandbox once in a while...

I still haven't figured out how to do all the fancy stuff that GSAK can do. I have two pocket queries that run every day -- 25 mile radius of unfound caches and 300 mile radius of all new caches (1-week or less). This populates my GSAK database and I filter from there. I can still fit all unfound caches within 25 mile radius in my GPSr (875 total now, but used to be be under 100 a year or so ago...). That takes care of almost all my day-to-day caching needs. When I'm going somewhere outside that radius, I just create a new pocket query and put the results in a new GSAK database. Rarely do I look at any maps in advance -- just follow the arrow. This gets me in lots of trouble sometimes when my auto-routing sends me to somewhere stupid because it isn't smart enough to know where all the trailheads are. But I just figured out how to get topo maps and the entire USA street maps in the GPSr, so I can switch back and forth to topo maps now. Maybe that will help. Sometimes I take Max (the dog) with me to help with the find. He has not been any help yet, but I keep trying. Maybe some day he will actually sniff out a cache like Becca (Mini-Max) and Ginger seem to do on a regular basis...

All this probably explains why all the new guys seem to be passing me by like I'm standing still...

I wonder if anyone besides the author has figured out all that GSAK could do. Getting smart names and other info onto the description field of your GPSr is really the coolest thing that it does (that I know of!), in my opinion. That way I don't have to get out the PDA just to find out the container size or difficulty.

I haven't found the topo maps to be that useful because they don't show many of the small trails in the small open space preserves that people around here put caches in.

S&R nobody ever posted a link on this thread and that is what annoyed me.

That is just not true...

Check this post from early January.

That is a post quoting my announcement and providing a link to more info...what else could I do?

The bookmarked favorites includes caches that were placed before 2006, so that doesn't work either.

I see this thread doing more to making it an "us vs. them" topic than having the awards ever could! <_< The whole point is to get the nominations in, and then encourage people to visit other areas and see other cachers hides. Sometimes it's nice to get out of your own sandbox once in a while...

Sorry Dave, I honestly checked the threads and didn't notice that post.

I seriously doubt that you will get many takers to drive all the way up to LA and stay in a hotel to go caching. What Chuy said was right on. For that reason, San Diego should have it's own regional awards. Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which bookmarked caches were placed in 2006.... :D

Edited by TrailGators

Data Gathering

We use two PQ's by default -- 100 unfound active caches nearest to home and 100 unfound active caches nearest to my work. These now overlap so this nets ~160 caches that cover everything nearby (currently this takes us out to about 15 miles radius from those two locations. We also have several additional PQ's to augment the default PQ's if we are going outside the immediate area (a trip down to McGinty, for example). Downloading happens roughly once a week, though sometimes it is more often if there are a lot of new caches popping up in the region of interest.

Cache Data

Cache Data is stored in GSAK. We use five databases as follows:

• Default -- this is the unfound caches from the PQ's above. This database gets cleared and repopulated whenever we download a new set of PQ's. (This way we don't have inactive/archived caches cluttering up the database)
  • Found -- This is the list of all caches that we've found. Included here is information about WPs, puzzle solutions, information on tricky hides and so forth.
  • Working Data -- this database is used to store caches (multis and puzzles, mostly) that we are working on or have solutions for but have not found yet.
  • DNF -- these are all caches that we didn't find (though many are ones that we eventually do find). Mostly I keep this because I am interested in how many misses are due to our ineptitude versus being muggled (It's about 50/50...)
  • Travel -- If we are planning a trip, this database is used to accumulate PQ's downloaded specifically for the trip . This way I can start downloading cache information without disturbing my local cache database. For some trips, we'll take a laptop with GSAK and download subsets based on our plans for the day. (For a recent trip from London to Hadrian's Wall and back, we had a list of 4500 caches in GSAK.

We use SmartNames to encode cache type, size and difficulty into the names downloaded to the GPSr.

Getting There

It depends. Sometimes we plan things out meticulously using Google Earth. Sometimes we go forth based purely on a scrap of paper with the coordinates. If we are hiking in an area with a lot of trails, we'll take a printout from Google Earth as a map. I also use Google Earth when picking a cache for a lunch time cache run. When we are mobile, we use IRMA (a StreetPilot) to get to the cache (or to the trailhead). Sometimes this causes us to do stupid things if we don't know the area (like when IRMA decides that the closest road to the cache is an interstate highway. (We've learned to check IRMA's work and sometimes we override her choices.)

The Find

Look at the terrain and decide whether to follow the arrow or the trail. Sometimes this causes us to make the wrong choice. (T.R. Violin's most recent cache near Black Mountain being a recent example...) Finds are recorded in Cachemate along with information about what we took/left. WP information from multis is also recorded in Cachemate (later to be loaded into GSAK) If need be, my phone has wireless internet access so we can look up cache pages.

Apres Cache

GPS tracks are stored in a Topo! .tpo file because I like to keep track of where I've been. This is sometime useful for planning new trips into areas that I've previously been in. (I used to use Topo! for route finding, but this use is now completely supplanted by Google Earth.)

I wonder if anyone besides the author has figured out all that GSAK could do. Getting smart names and other info onto the description field of your GPSr is really the coolest thing that it does (that I know of!), in my opinion. That way I don't have to get out the PDA just to find out the container size or difficulty.

I don't use it much, but the macro capability in GSAK is pretty amazing. Many features that don't come with GSAK can be synthesized with a macro.

I used to use the Arc filter a lot before the "caches along a route" feature showed up on GC.com.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
<snip>Unless someone visits all the caches in a category, how do you know which is the best one? That is, only cachers that have visited all the caches in a category should vote.

You have a point, Chuy. Having cached in both San Diego and Riverside Counties (as have you), I did turn in some nominations for caches I liked, in both. I will never be able to find all of the nominations. I did vote, but only in those categories where I had done at least one of the listed caches, and felt that it was a winner.

Is it completely fair? No, but then it probably isn't any worse than a "favorites" list that is really the same thing--a "voting" by cachers that is based solely on the caches they have found and liked. How many SD cachers have done every cache on that list? I certainly haven't, but then, I have nowhere near the finds of you and some of the other cachers. My point is, is there really any difference between a consensus list of favorites, ordered by how many people had it as their favorites; and the nomination / voting system? Don't you end up with the same product?

I haven't found the topo maps to be that useful because they don't show many of the small trails in the small open space preserves that people around here put caches in.

Well, thanks to the kick in the pants, I have now figured out how to do really neat things with the waypoint field codes and the "notes" field. I have the WP Name field set up with %typ1%con1%ShortName=15%notGC%code and the WP Description (Notes) field set up with %dif1%ter1%last4 %drop2 %hint=100. Does anyone know how to get more characters into the WP Description field on the 60CSx? I seem to get truncated at about 30 even though there seems to be much more space available in the actual field, itself...

Edited by FlagMan
<snip>Unless someone visits all the caches in a category, how do you know which is the best one? That is, only cachers that have visited all the caches in a category should vote.

You have a point, Chuy. Having cached in both San Diego and Riverside Counties (as have you), I did turn in some nominations for caches I liked, in both. I will never be able to find all of the nominations. I did vote, but only in those categories where I had done at least one of the listed caches, and felt that it was a winner.

Is it completely fair? No, but then it probably isn't any worse than a "favorites" list that is really the same thing--a "voting" by cachers that is based solely on the caches they have found and liked. How many SD cachers have done every cache on that list? I certainly haven't, but then, I have nowhere near the finds of you and some of the other cachers. My point is, is there really any difference between a consensus list of favorites, ordered by how many people had it as their favorites; and the nomination / voting system? Don't you end up with the same product?

I don't think so for these reasons:

1) Favorites are collected over the entire year. We only had 30 days to nominate Socal and that is with hardly anyone knowing where to go (based on only 6 getting nominated from SD).

2) Favorites are only for a region like San Diego area so everyone has a realistic opportunity to visit all the those caches throughout the year. Socal is spread so far apart that I bet hardly anybody has visited all the caches in the categories that they are voting (especially if they included San Diego caches). So this creates a much smaller sample size.

3) Favorites are easy to make. Everyone can make their own list and vote whenever they find a great cache. We have to wait for announcements and links with the Socal method.

4) How many of the best SD caches are in each list? Compare them.... The proof is in the pudding.

5) There is no addtional vote with the favorites. When the year is over you have your list and it is something that anyone can download! So you guys could still award the best 2006 San Diego County caches based on this list.

Speaking of San Diego favorites lists, how come more people don't make such lists? Not to be accusatory, but they don't take much time. I guess I like lists, so I've made a couple of bookmark lists and like to read other people's lists, including the consensus favorites. And everyone has a slightly different take on things. Anyway, I'd like to encourage more people to make bookmark lists.

Data Gathering

Cache Data

Getting There

The Find

:D:) Geesh..you must be an engineer! <_< I just write the coords on a little yellow sticky post-it note and enter them into my GPS at the first red-light I come to on my way from work and pray I remember what the hint was!! Google Maps? I follow the arrow! I've ruined a few pair of dress shoes, but heck..it's fun!! R/ jodi

Luddite!

I don't believe you, Jodi.