The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Contest time...guess where this is.

? Picture

Near Team Gecko's Lost World cache?

Closest of all the guesses! :grin: but not really too 'near' that one!

Burro Condo! :o

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Actually, it looks like the old Indian trail above Hidden Spring leading up from Rockhouse Canyon to Burro Condo.

Congratulations to the team that finally tracked it down. Guess I'll learn to take cheater photos along the next time I'm out that remote looking for a FTF. B)

-Gecko Dad

Look Familiar - Care to take a guess:

b0718b6c-11b4-4f90-bba1-2d1aa3fbcdde.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. This HAS to be the Rocket Family's new home in the Rockies!

I'm not sure I would want to live in this place (hint), even if I could afford it. RM

Mr. Burns: This house has quite a long and colorful history. It was built on an ancient Indian burial ground and was the setting of satanic rituals, witch burnings, and five John Denver Christmas specials.

Homer: (shudder) John Denver...

Why that is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. It is said to be haunted. The TV miniserie of "The Shining" was filmed there, and Stephen King based "The Shining" the novel on this location.

Exactly Right.

We spent the night up in Estes Park on Friday night (Not at the Stanley Hotel) and then spent the day at Rocky Mountain National Park yesterday (Estes Park is right outside the National Park). It is about a 2 hour drive from Denver to Estes/RMNP. I snaped the shot of the Stanley Hotel on Friday.

Here is a picture I took out on the golf course in Estes Park (Yes they are real):

e8b94524-6bbb-4e53-b4a9-f343274936a0.jpg

Here are some pictures we took in the National Park:

934680b0-5789-4c04-b78f-a314130f1072.jpg

9a70b221-742d-4443-8f3b-18e930fe1a13.jpg

edd9fab7-918d-4dfe-8e3f-01f5f9ee9a12.jpg

388cb164-1387-4b3b-833d-0c6871655800.jpg

1e3c3303-ac5d-42a9-9226-8a7ca5e20b8a.jpg

fd31478e-847e-4727-bbc4-71eaa3d0495f.jpg

Edited by Rocket Man

Hey! I'm headed up to Yosemite for some power hiking, I going from the valley floor to Half-dome and then on to Tuolumne Meadows. There's also plans to tackle Mt. Whitney in a day if the weather looks good. I'll be taking the 395 back down to San Diego. I haven't run any PQ's yet but any recommendations along the routes?

Hey!  I'm headed up to Yosemite for some power hiking, I going from the valley floor to Half-dome and then on to Tuolumne Meadows. There's also plans to tackle Mt. Whitney in a day if the weather looks good. I'll be taking the 395 back down to San Diego.  I haven't run any PQ's yet but any recommendations along the routes?

Make sure you turn west in Lonepine and drive up to the Alabama Hills. There is a Virtual there, but the hills themselves should be the draw. I spent an extra day in the area after I discovered them by accident on a camping trip to the Sierras last September.

I stayed one night at the Portugee Joe's campground near town and another night up at the free BLM Tuttle Creek campground closer to the fabulous Alabama Hills where lots and lots of movies and television shows were filmed.

On your way down 395, make sure you take the drive through Manzanar. There are two Virtuals there.

Have fun -- gas prices have gotten in the way of my late summer camping trip this year. :lol:

Edit to add that I forgot to mention the Mono Lake earthcache. That area is fantastic.

TufaTowersSeagull.jpg

Edited by Miragee
Hey! I'm headed up to Yosemite for some power hiking, I going from the valley floor to Half-dome and then on to Tuolumne Meadows. There's also plans to tackle Mt. Whitney in a day if the weather looks good. I'll be taking the 395 back down to San Diego. I haven't run any PQ's yet but any recommendations along the routes?

I just came down the 395 last month and agree with Mirage on the Manzanar virtuals. Also the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery is great to see.......neat old building. I did enjoy the side trip to Randsburg. There are many caches along the way if you want the drive to last forever.

At Lee Vining are a couple of neat virtuals.

Have a great trip

This one's for Pioneer: At last!

(note to all you Americans: you won't be interested)

How 'bout an English translation.... Oh, wait a minute, that probably wouldn't help. Maybe an American translation... :D

So Toby...would you mind giving us all a quick primer on cricket?

Like how to read a boxscore. When is a spin bowler better than a speed bowler. What the heck is a googly? How can one batter be out and also have a "not out" partner? What's so big about a century?

LBW...WTF?!?!

:D

--TT--

[deleted]

Jeff seems to be getting pretty domesticated! I have spotted many multiple cross-postings between him and LocaRoja.... I bet his undies are ironed now, too.... :D

Is this what those Jersey boys mean by off-topic?

Shhh...don't tell PQMommy!

Too late....

Ironed undies! I don't know whether to laugh or be offended for all womankind!

Mayday, mayday.

I'm looking for someone with patience, a pc, patience, & a 60CS & maybe some patience that wouldn't mind training me how to use GSAK & paperless caching.  :D  What can I say, I'm not the smartest chip in Silicon Valley.

had a few request for a little help on paperless...perhaps another event with computers, pda, and internet????

Rocketman....whens you next vacation to san diego? :D

Edited by The Dillon Gang
This one's for Pioneer: At last!

(note to all you Americans: you won't be interested)

How 'bout an English translation.... Oh, wait a minute, that probably wouldn't help. Maybe an American translation... :lol:

So Toby...would you mind giving us all a quick primer on cricket?

Like how to read a boxscore. When is a spin bowler better than a speed bowler. What the heck is a googly? How can one batter be out and also have a "not out" partner? What's so big about a century?

LBW...WTF?!?!

:D

--TT--

Cricket is a bit like baseball......but different.

A test match lasts (a maximum of) 5 days. Each team has up to two innings, with 10 outs in an inning, if you use them all (you don't have to). There are two batsmen (=batters) on the field at one time, one at each end of the wicket. (That's how you can have one player not out and the other one out. Theoretically the opening batsman could play the whole innings while 9 of his team-mates get out.) There are also 1-day games, where each team gets 1 innings of 50 overs (=300 pitches) to get as many runs as they can, and then the other team has a go to see if they can catch up and score more.

At each end of the wicket there are 3 stumps, which the bowler (=pitcher) aims at. The batsman has to stop the ball hitting the wicket, but can't do so with his leg - they can be out "LBW", which is "leg before wicket". Different types of bowler (spinner, fast bowler, etc) are similar to different types of pitcher in baseball (all gas, sinker/slider, knuckleballer etc), and they each pitch one "over" (6 balls) at a time. A googly is a particular type of pitch, which spins the opposite way to the way the batsman expects.

The scorecard is quite easy to read, really - here's the final test card...

The first bits are the innings totals. Most runs wins - but England didn't win the game, because they ran out of time (in this case, that didn't matter because we were winning the series 2-1, so a draw was all England needed). If the other team don't have time to get two full innings in reply, the game is a draw, so to prevent that you can opt to stop batting before everybody's out, to give your bowlers/fielders a chance to get your opponents out with less runs than your total.

Next are the individual batsmen's batting totals:

M E Trescothick c M L Hayden b S K Warne 43 (runs) 65 (balls) 8 (fours) 0 (sixes)

So Marcus Trescothick was out (caught by Hayden, bowled by Warne), having scored 43 runs off 65 balls. If the ball reaches the boundary after hitting the ground, you get 4 runs, and if it clears the boundary on the fly, you get 6. A century is 100 runs, which not many people get - maybe one or two per innings, if you're doing well.

At the bottom of the innings are the Extras - runs you get from wayward bowling - no ball, wide, bye and leg bye. In cricket, a "no ball" is called if the bowler steps over the line he's supposed to stay behind. The others are like wild pitches.

Then there are the bowlers' totals: O = overs, M = maiden overs (no runs scored), R = runs, W = wickets (number of batsmen he got out). Fall of wicket is the number of runs scored at the time each batsman got out.

Lots more basic cricket info at this

BBC page....

Edited by Dr. Boggis
How do you get the geocache page URL to transfer over to Mapsource from GSAK? It seems to have been stripped during the "along a route" process...is there a tag I need to include ??? ;)

I think you need to use Google Earth or Mappoint (or other programs I don't use) to get anything other than the coordinates, icon and comments (which is all Mapsource supports, as far as I know).

How do you get the geocache page URL to transfer over to Mapsource from GSAK? It seems to have been stripped during the "along a route" process...is there a tag I need to include ??? ;)

Here is a workaround:

Once you have used the GSAK filters to display just the caches that you are interested in, export the caches to a GPX file instead of exporting them directly to Mapsource (you can still use all of the smart naming stuff when you export to the GPX file - e.g. %typ1%con1%drop2 (%Dif/%Ter) for the cache name). Now just open Mapsource and us the File-Open command to open the GPX file that you just created. All of the URL links should be with the waypoints in Mapsource (It works fine for me anyway).

I have had the same issue when sending waypoints directly from GSAK to Mapsource. I have always assumed that it is because GSAK only supports the old .mps format which does not include the link info with the waypoints. The conversion engine for GSAK is GPSBabel. The latest version of GPSBabel handles the new Mapsource format .gdb. I think that Clyde said he was going to update GSAK to start using the latest version of GPSBabel, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem. I am a GSAK beta tester so I have access to Clyde's development Forums. I will ask the question there and let you know. If I know Clyde, he will have a solution and implement it in the next version of GSAK

Edit: Here is where Clyde says he will be adding .gdb support.

RM

Edited by Rocket Man

Ok, I was right and wrong. I was right about the .mps format not providing the URL links. I was wrong about Clyde adding .gdb support to GSAK. It is already supported. The .gdb file format just doesn't work for the Arc filter. If you select .gdb format when exporting to Mapsource, the URL links will be available:

b037eea4-0e4e-442c-987a-697345aa678a.jpg

Note: Clyde answered the question over here.

Edited by Rocket Man
Purchasing a garmin 60cs...i think.....recommendations on mapping software?

city select or mapsource topo?

You can use both at the same time, if you want to spend the $$$! Otherwise, you can choose based on what you want them to do - get City Select if you want to use it for navigation while driving (Topo maps don't include the auto-routing data), get the Topo if you want it for off-road caching and hiking/biking/fishing or whatever. The Natl Geographic topo series might be better than the Mapsource ones though, I don't know from personal experience.

You could also ask this in the "GPS Units & Software" forum for a few more responses.

Purchasing a garmin 60cs...i think.....recommendations on mapping software?

city select or mapsource topo?

You can use both at the same time, if you want to spend the $$$! Otherwise, you can choose based on what you want them to do - get City Select if you want to use it for navigation while driving (Topo maps don't include the auto-routing data), get the Topo if you want it for off-road caching and hiking/biking/fishing or whatever. The Natl Geographic topo series might be better than the Mapsource ones though, I don't know from personal experience.

You could also ask this in the "GPS Units & Software" forum for a few more responses.

I agree. However, I think that not getting City Select software for a 60CS wastes the main reason you paid the extra bucks to get one! The auto-routing feature is why the 60CS is worth the extra bucks! I just back form a business trip and used mine to navigate from the airport to the hotel and to navigate to several restaurants during the week. I never had to fumble with a map or concentrate while I was driving to look for the next turn. The feature is awesome and totally worth the ~$116! You might even find someone to go halfies with you because you can use the software on two 60CSs!

National Geographic Topo is way better Garmin's topo software! It is far more detailed to start. RM has showed me several cool features it can do that Garmin's can't. For example, you can load a track and it will show plot of all the verticals along that track! That way Dan-oh could have seen his 5400+ feet of verticals on his recent hike up San G. I still think that was a very impressive hike! :( I would have been sore for days, if I had done that hike. :(