Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

The guy that drove the jeep backed it up over the rock. The picture was taken in the "Parking lot" of the Rubicon trail up past Georgetown. Look VERY closely at the area at the back of the jeep.....see anything strange?

That blue square is the hint that Mr. Gigabyte was playing around with adobe photoshop. icon_wink.gif The same way that guys was cheating on those virtuals. Had you going though didn't I? If you go to my website though, all the 4x4 pics under the camping section are real.

I just took the body of my rig and superimposed it over the other guys truck. There's a LOT of trucks up there that can do that. I'll get my new jeep Rubicon in 6 weeks, and then I won't have to fake the pictures to impress my high school kids. icon_wink.gif

KURTULEAS

....I'd never done one before that I recall, and by making my Century Plant (#100) a MO cache, I got to see who had been calling it up.

I saw the usual local suspects icon_wink.gif and surprisingly some folks from southern California and elsewhere.

Kind of a neat deal, and I'll probably leave it MO for a while anyway...seems like all the area cachers I know are in fact members.

Don't let the fact that the Morris kids glomed on to the money stop you from looking for this one.(btw...the money wasn't enough to put them through college..or even a day of grade school) It's a fun cache to find....and you can always try to improve on their "find times" !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Well, day two of the cell phone hunt still turns up nothing (which shows what a great cachers I am).

Looks like someone got to Ron's caches already... way to go! I'll be going there, even if all that lettus is gone. icon_frown.gif After all, it's the challenge of the find (like finding a cell phone in piles of dirt).

No email's yet regarding the Centroid of the Tracy Triangle... I hope my e-ddress is correctly entered. Green_Achers@HotPOP.com I'd love to have anyone prove I did that job correctly.

Mike, Sorry. I know about Green Acres and it's a nice place but I can't claim ownership. I think their place goes more and I'm sure it employs more... We have to work full time so we can afford to farm. If we meet this weekend, I'd expand.

Anyway, we have Green Achers Farm. But that's just another story for this weekend.

Bill of Green Achers

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

Well tomorrow is the big day. We are off to Reno and the air races. I have one flight in the morning and after that WE ARE GONE!! if any of you have never seen an air race it's a sight to see. One day I will be raceing my own plane. It's been a dream of mine for a while now. When you have a job that you love it sure makes life better. When we get back be on the look out for an Aviation cache. I think you all will like it.

Ron, We had a good time caching with you today. It was alot of fun. I hope you all have a good weekend. Mike

P.S. Pat and Jaimee, I just heard that Thursday is national stay home from work and school day!! So now you guy's can come up to Reno Thursday and Friday and be home in time Saturday for Caitlyn's Band concert.

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

I certainly wish I could skip work and school on Thursday and go do something fun!!! The work part is no big deal, but if I miss a day of school on this new shortened semester, I will bury myself. icon_frown.gif

We have spent most of yesterday looking for one of our dogs. My Plott hound, Mali, was missing yesterday morning when I went outside to feed. She has gotten out before but always stays right here at the house; this time, she is nowhere to be found. I walked the road and then drove all over our area as well. Pat has been to the animal shelter twice as well. Mali is a very, very pretty dog and loves people, so I am thinking that maybe someone saw her and nabbed her. I just hope that if that is the case, whoever has her is not mistreating her.

Well, I guess I better get my work going here. I hope everyone has a nice day. Have a safe trip to Reno M&C!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Pat and Jaimee, Sorry to hear about your dog missing. I rather lose a cel-phone or a bike than a dog. I hope it turns up today (a little hungry and real happy)!

I once had an idea of building a web site for the dog pound(s). They would take a digital phone of all animals they "find" (or take) and down load the photo to the web. Then, if it's not claimed, the photo would transfer over to an adoption page. I figure most of us would like our animals back, but if not, someone else will love them. The fear is that the system is not so caring and... I don't want to talk about it!

Bottom line is that the site never got build (to my knowledge). Hope you find Mali waiting for you tonight.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Well tomorrow is the big day. We are off to Reno and the air races. I have one flight in the morning and after that WE ARE GONE!! if any of you have never seen an air race it's a sight to see. One day I will be raceing my own plane. It's been a dream of mine for a while now. When you have a job that you love it sure makes life better. When we get back be on the look out for an Aviation cache. I think you all will like it.

Have fun and tell us what those Reno caches are like.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

....when my 85 year old student told me she had sold her car to her neighbor.

For the last 6 months I have admired this woman who twice a week came to class to learn Word and Excel.

Each evening after two hours of class she headed out to the parking lot and hauled herself into her high-slung, 1987 Toyota pickup.

She sold this 4x4 with a little camper shell for $2,500. It had 11,000 one-owner miles on it.

Still crying.

Ron

Hey Ron, You can still buy my '93 wrangler! For you only $4,000. icon_wink.gif

BTW you're killing me with those members only caches. I don't draw my first back to school paycheck from HUSD till october first, therefore I have 0 funds and no extra cash untill then to buy a membership.

Hey C&M let me know if my uncle's plane is up there, it's a blue bi-plane that they race named the "Legal Eagle" (although the name may have changed) He owns it with a group of lawyers

Hopefully I'll have my new caches out by sunday for you guys.

KURTULEAS

Kurt..you should have been around several months ago when there were MO caches left and right!! Pat and I weren't members then, so we just had to sit back and watch the fun. Now that we are members, we have been able to hunt a few of them, and it's been fun!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

....I had never placed a MO cache before, and the only reason I have some like that now is that I am interested in viewing WHO has been looking at them. That is apparently only possible if they are made members only.

The 100th cache drew some attention from around the country somehow. The three new ones listed in a post above this one are all in the Lake Berryessa area.

The one labeled "adult entertainment" has gotten the most interest ! I will be changing them all to non member only caches within the week after I monitor them a bit more. I really don't see the need for them, but that tracking of viewers is of interest to me. I think Jeremy could make that work for people who are paying members, WITHOUT the necessity to make the cache MO.

Your jeep....that Toyota pickup story was just so fantastic...the true little old lady car. Can you imagine only 11K miles since 1987? I would have bought it in a minute.

YOur jeep looks nice but is too high off the ground for me. I had a 90 Wrangler Sahara which was nice, auto and air. If it had a hard-top (or if I had added one) I would have kept it. My interests and needs changed. If I ever win the lottery I will buy a new H2 AND a Wrangler.

Ron

Way to go Jaimee!

I just noticed that you made the top 25, 23 in fact, geocachers in California. Pretty good for a girl. icon_biggrin.gif

Didn't I hear some men talking smack about women geocachers and shopping not to long ago. I think that there could be quite a show at that rally in Nevada. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Way to go Jaimee!

I just noticed that you made the top 25, 23 in fact, geocachers in California. Pretty good for a girl. icon_biggrin.gif

Didn't I hear some men talking smack about women geocachers and shopping not to long ago. I think that there could be quite a show at that rally in Nevada. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/5867_200.gif

I'm not disputing that Jaimee is tops, but where do you get information like this?:confused: And what's the criteria for this messurement? I've just never seen anything that refers to a ranking for Geocaching.

Oh, ya, Congratulations to Jaimee!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Thanks Mary! While the men were busy fixing Jeeps and rewiring Broncos, I snuck right past them...AND did some shopping along the way too! icon_razz.gif

Bill...you can check out the stats for each of the states here.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/states.cgi?country=United%20States&state=California

Now that I hit 200, I am at a standstill. Between school and work, my free time is nil. Pat's brother will be back tomorrow I think, and then my mom will be down to visit for the rest of the weekend. Maybe Sunday we can go hunting!

Have a good day all!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....Hey Bill...the Dan Miller California stats appears to discount finds and hides done in other states, and perhaps locationless too (since many of them are other states).

He adds together the finds and the hides so if a person has a fair number of hides to complement the finds, they go up on the list.

Another stats page is this one by Gustaf in Sweden.

http://www.geocaching.info.se/

Once you get to the main page, click on the world statistics link and then the finders or hiders link.

He has separate listings for finds and hides. Also, a popup swedish advertising box will appear on your screen at some point. Just click it off.

Jaimiee...no excuses. Get out there and cache !

Ron

Thanks for the links. I'll look them up next week.

Speaking of Learning... I'm not sure if I'm teaching or learning on my Centroid of the Tracy Triangle. I added a formula URL in the spoiler but have yet to have anyone send me the solution I calculated. Is there someone that will proof calc my work??? icon_confused.gif I'd love to know I did my job correctly. Maybe I under-rated this hunt! icon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

At first I was really happy about your cache, I thought to myself "cool! Another cache in Tracy!" Then when I found out it involved math it had me worried. I can't count to 21 unless my pants are off.

I kinda cheated and tried to have the math teacher across the hall figure it out for me, but she said she didn't know how to do it with LAT and LONG. She DID explain what a centroid is, but with football, baby, work and commuting I just didn't have the time to figure it out.

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

I kinda cheated and tried to have the math teacher across the hall figure it out for me, but she said she didn't know how to do it with LAT and LONG. She DID explain what a centroid is, but with football, baby, work and commuting I just didn't have the time to figure it out.

KURTULEAS

Maybe I can give some lessons. I just got confirmation that my numbers were pretty darn close. I'm off by about 20 ft or so. That's close enough, and about as close as you'd expect to get considering rounding errors. I just don't have time to go get it tonight.

Tomorrow.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

KURTULEAS

Maybe I can give some lessons. I just got confirmation that my numbers were pretty darn close. I'm off by about 20 ft or so. That's close enough, and about as close as you'd expect to get considering rounding errors. I just don't have time to go get it tonight.

Tomorrow.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/5867_200.gif

Guess I should have gone out and done Centroid yesterday instead of failing to find some of your caches. would have been fun to be FTF.

Oh well, I'll get back to Tracy one day. -- once my ego gets over not finding 4 micros on the same day.

Marty

kg6nee

...may log them tonight..maybe in the morning. All but two of my finds were magnetic. Does that tell you in what section of CA I was doing my cache hunting?

I also passed on one due to "old geezer" situation and think one other MIGHT be missing.

Hope everyone has a great September weekend !

Ron

Hello everyone, I hope your last couple of days where good ones. We had fun in Reno. We spent most of our time in CIRCUS CIRCUS letting the kids play. We got to do some caches. They remind me of Sacromento caches in the way they are hidden. Alot of the caches I will have to bring my jeep. There is alot of jeep trails that you have to take to get to them. We will go back and get them!!

Now on to the Air Race's, It was a bad Friday the 13th for a couple of racers. One guy lost his life (TOM ROSE) when he was coming around turn 4 at 300 mph and about 100 agl (above ground level) when he lost control? and dove strait into the ground. It sounded like a bomb going off. The plane discentigrated. needles to say he was killed instantly. Watching that is like someone putting a knife in your stomach. Bill of green acres was there also and called me to see if I had just seen what happened. After about 10 minutes had went by another plane was coming in and he crashed also. another scary sight but this guy lived. He was very very very LUCKY!!!

Now that we are back we will be doing some more caching this weekend. Mike

Looks like I need to check on a couple caches. A few people didn't find them over the weekend.

Just a reminder about the BBQ. I hope everyone can be there.

I just met a guy last night who did a little caching around Santa Cruz a while back and has moved here. He had no idea how "big" caching is here in the Central Valley, so hopefully we'll see him around! Just busy recruiting cachers... lol

Well, at least their caches did.

I got these three today and when logging them noticed something new at geocaching.com

1) Posting would not let me use colors or larger fonts in my post...no matter what I did.

2) The cache name at the top of the page is bold and large black type.

3) At the bottom of the page is a message about when the page was last "rendered".

Anyone else see this or other things going on?

Here are the Mike and Connie caches....well worth going for, especially the Turkey Perch.

Wren's Den

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35049

Coyote Bluff

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35034

Turkey Perch

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35042

....about changes in web pages....some good responses...see them here....

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=3880944335#3880944335

Here's Jeremy Irish's note on the changes.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=2660963783&m=4150924335&r=4150924335#4150924335

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on September 15, 2002 at 08:34 PM.]

Hello all

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I shopped, studied, lazed around..it was nice!

We were talking with C&M last night, and I was saying how the new cachers to this area have it made. There are soooooooo many caches here now. When we first started there were under 10 in this area!! The nearest ones to us now are in the Lodi/Stockton area I think...besides the few on my pages closer that I have no desire to go look for.

I think I am going to pull a couple of my existing caches in the Modesto area and replace them elsewhere within Modesto/Ceres. They are getting a few hits now and then, but I think most everyone from around here has done them by now.

Funny thing..I hit 200 and haven't had the urge to hunt a cache since! I noticed a couple of new ones last night that intrigued me a bit, and I still have one that I couldn't get that I need to go back for some SUNDAY icon_mad.gif

I guess now I have no desire to fight with bugs, heat, mean plants or homeless people. I am sure I will get out and cache more often once the weather is nice and cool (COLD) and I have to bundle up to go outdoors! OR...if someone would take me back to Monterey, I would cache there for sure!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Now on to the Air Race's, It was a bad Friday the 13th for a couple of racers.

We're home from a great weekend of Races and caches! We planted one cache in thed hunted one near Boomtown.

As Mike pointed out, Tommy Rose only got the 2nd greatest thrill. The report is that his plane hit turbulence which broke the tail off.

It's unfortunate but note worthy is that second plane crash... It was from the same race and he was trying to land (after watching his friend die). The newspaper said he was having landing gear problems but he never reported the emergency on the radio. We watched him abort the first attempt to land and successfuly flew around (over the first planes parts) and it was his second approach that ditched him. We watched him race two days later.

Hey, George got the Centroid of the Tracy Triangle cache. Way to go George!

Is "Bob" redneck for Bill??? Oh, ya! Billy-Bob... guess I'll need to bring my teeth to the Bar-B-Que and show up as Billy-Bob. This normally scares the women and children and makes the horses nervous. LOL

A Big Congratulations to George. FTF

See everyone at the grill.

Bill of Green Achers

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Hey, George got the Centroid of the Tracy Triangle cache. Way to go George!

Is "Bob" redneck for Bill??? Oh, ya! Billy-Bob... guess I'll need to bring my teeth to the Bar-B-Que and show up as Billy-Bob. This normally scares the women and children and makes the horses nervous. LOL

Well, I got the B part right. After that, I blame it on the sea air. icon_cool.gif

geoge

5867_200.gif

That Sunday only cache is just waiting for you !

As far as fighting plants and homeless people, neither is really an issue at Century Plant if that is the one you are talking about.

I've fought my laptop computer all morning...can't access my interenet provider and other problems too. Think it's time for a new operating system that is more stable (or an old one that is stable).

Finally cranked up the old desktop to get access to the internet and geocaching...started to have withdrawal symptoms.

Ron

Hey Ron

I wasn't talking about any specific cache when I mentioned homeless people and mean plants. It just seems that the last several caches I hunted for presented nasty obstacles that I didn't want to deal with, be that people, plants, or whatever else.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Sorry guys I flaked this weekend. I meant to put out 2-3 caches (I have them ready i just have to place them)

Our Saturday game vs. Redwood took ALL day, (and we got our asses kicked) then my wife gave me the 3rd degree on Sunday saying that we need to spend "Family Time" together. Unfortunately she would not go for geocaching as quality "family time" since the baby is only 10 weeks old.

By NEXT weekend i'll have them out.

KURTULEAS

is for weenies. At least, that's what I wrote in my log at Tracy Triangle Centroid today. I had to go back twice to find it, so I figured I'd see if I couldn't tweak George a little bit. icon_wink.gif

I am thrilled to have returned from my trip to find all these great math-based caches around. Very cool.

Hey, LO, did you ever go and see if Verde Mucho is still there? You were writing above about archiving some of your older caches; was this one of the ones you had in mind?

Wow...you are a "weenie" now if you verify a coordinate?? Maybe I should call someone a "weenie" if they couldn't find Verde Mucho!!! Is that not the same thing? Seems as if you might be asking for some kind of verification yourself there Fizzy!!! icon_wink.gif

As for an answer to your question, I have no idea if it is there or not. We have looked for it and were unable to find it, but that does not mean it's gone considering the fact that it kept migrating further and further from its original placement each time it was found. I disabled it and will now most likely archive it.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Now that Green Achers has put in a math cache, don't you think it's time he did http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26935? Especially since he is a pilot and all...

But I'm only a pilot of tractors. I did log about 100 hours as a student but that's when I was hanging around the stunt pilots and doing photo's for 'em. I've never performed the greatest thrill known to man... just the 2nd greatest thrill.

Anyway, I'll look up Black Box and see if I can't work it into the schedule soon. It's irrigation time (I call it irritation) so I'll be busy this week with that and catching up after being in Reno.

Speaking of Reno, I only lost one buck... I planted the Reno Air Show cache and the TFT took the buck. Not too bad, huh?

Bill of Green Achers

I'd love to have the time to write (or understand) songs like this.

[http://www.ziplo.com/grandpa.htm]

But if I had that much time on my hands, I'd have be around Ron and Georges find numbers.

BTW, Why did the find numbers get dropped when people log their visits? I really liked to see that number as it gave some value to their words. (In case they go shooting their mouth off and have a number like... mine, it wouldn't mean too much) icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

...(or have you changed it to 'bob'?)

Here's the link to Jeremy's note on the page changes. The dropping of the find count is supposed to make the page load faster.

I use a dial-up connection that ususally runs at 36 to 40 Kbps and I've never had trouble with the page loading slowly!

He also posted a poll asking how many people wanted the find count back. When I last checked most people wanted it back.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=2660963783&m=4150924335&r=4150924335#4150924335

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on September 17, 2002 at 10:31 AM.]

I wish I had the time to go find a cache! The only time I leave the house is when it's time to head to school.

Hopefully, it will be a nice weekend and I will be able to get outside and do something fun!

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Now that Green Achers has put in a math cache, don't you think it's time he did http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26935? Especially since he is a pilot and all...

Black Box is a great challnge. I had to send George an email while I rest my head. At least he'll be able to see how I'm progressing and slap me awake if I'm missing the boat.

How did fizzy do this?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers