The Blacklist (TV show) and geocaching

Hmmm, hiding illegal things does not sound like good geocaching...

Giving a positive image of geocaching: the bad man hides the illegal things and geocachers help finding it.

Giving a bad image of geocaching: the geocaching itself is used for the hides.

Why not the first one? I don't know how many people watch this series but it might damage the reputation of geocaching in the muggle's world. What do you think?

Jochen

8 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Giving a positive image of geocaching: the bad man hides the illegal things and geocachers help finding it.

Why not the first one? I don't know how many people watch this series but it might damage the reputation of geocaching in the muggle's world. What do you think?

Jochen

Agreed! 

26 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Yeah, if they're just referring to the concept of gps-based stashes for illegal trades, it'd be great if they didn't label it "geocaching" and avoid the confusion with this family friendly (relatively speaking) hobby...

It's actually a really stupid premise: instead of privately sending locations, he publishes publicly where he's hidden the illegal contraband and challenges all geocachers in the area to find it as soon as possible. I'm having a hard time working up any outrage because it seems hard to take seriously.

43 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Yeah, if they're just referring to the concept of gps-based stashes for illegal trades, it'd be great if they didn't label it "geocaching" and avoid the confusion with this family friendly (relatively speaking) hobby...

TONGUE IN CHEEK, TONGUE IN CHEEK.

Sooooooooo ,,, should they call it "Stash Hunt??   No wait ... that one has been used before.  LOL 

Much ado about nothing. People smart enough to engage in geocaching need not worry about the "hobby, sport, etc" being tarnished by a tv show.  There are things within geocaching (the real one) which are more worrisome than fiction. Been doing this since 2001 when my first cache placed was #747 in the world. Thank goodness I got in before 1 million of the 3 million caches available were placed in the bases of parking lot light poles. (it's called hyperbole, but that 1 million figure might not be far off). 

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
On 3/25/2021 at 3:53 AM, frostengel said:

Jochen

A long time ago I found a cache in a small,  not well known park the has a nice view of the town.  It was small container hidden in the leg of a stone bench.  When I replaced it I turned to walk back to my car as a policecar was pulling into the park.  He motioned me over to his open window and the first thing he asked was "what were you hiding over there?".  I explained geocaching to him and he was cool about it but said that park was a popular spot for pot smokers and what I was doing looked suspicious.  

I've watched 37 minutes of the show. The word "geocaching" was spoken at minute 3 (appx) and at minute 32 (appx). In my humble opinion, either of those would have been missed by the casual viewer (someone who was not tuned into geocaching) and my further opinion is that a miniscule number (if any) viewers who didn't know what it was, would then take the trouble to Google it. 

Of course I have been wrong before. Never watched this show and won't again. Doesn't do anything for me. 

On 3/27/2021 at 4:42 AM, mustakorppi said:

So was there anything resembling geocaching or did they just randomly use the name to describe hiding stuff outside?

The latter, just as would happen in the real world with people who have heard the term and don't really know what it is.

I watched it for some dumb reason. Oh, yeah - because I read this thread ahead of time. Thanks, guys; another hour gone.

I have to say my favorite line was, when they laid the map out on the car hood, "The GPS signals are emanating from over by the stream bed."

At that point the Team Cap'n looked up from her needlework. "Must we?"

• Funny 3
On 3/27/2021 at 1:42 AM, mustakorppi said:

So was there anything resembling geocaching or did they just randomly use the name to describe hiding stuff outside?

No, only the word geocaching was used twice in as general a manner as was possible. I doubt most people even would have heard the word. And even if they did I doubt they would have Googled it to see what it was.