Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
MindlessEngine

How To Get Bulk Codes

I have been getting into TBs lately and I had a few TBs that had gone missing at some point in there venture. I made those into (i.e. Backpack, name tag, car, etc.). I am looking to purchase codes for all kinds of things and I saw bulk codes on geocaching.com, but I had to buy 50 which is out of the question. Coming about $75 atleast. Does anyone know of a website or something like that to get them cheaper?

Maybe if someone here is feeling really good today, could possibly have me adopt a few of your MIA TBs?

Thanks!!

Alex.

2 minutes ago, MindlessEngine said:

... but I had to buy 50 which is out of the question.

Those apply to geocoins.

You can order some TBs here... or in many other retailers

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to get JUST codes so it is cheaper. Really just giving codes should be really cheap since there is no item ?

28 minutes ago, MindlessEngine said:

I have been getting into TBs lately and I had a few TBs that had gone missing at some point in there venture. I made those into (i.e. Backpack, name tag, car, etc.). I am looking to purchase codes for all kinds of things and I saw bulk codes on geocaching.com, but I had to buy 50 which is out of the question. Coming about $75 atleast. Does anyone know of a website or something like that to get them cheaper?

Maybe if someone here is feeling really good today, could possibly have me adopt a few of your MIA TBs?

Thanks!!

Alex.

$2.50 is the least expensive TBs I've seen on Shop Geocaching (clearance). That is the current price as well.

13 minutes ago, MindlessEngine said:

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to get JUST codes so it is cheaper. Really just giving codes should be really cheap since there is no item ?

Someone, at some time, had to pay for those codes, though.

• Helpful 1

8 hours ago, MindlessEngine said:

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to get JUST codes so it is cheaper.

Really just giving codes should be really cheap since there is no item ?

But because those codes aren't attached to an item at the time of sale, they have an order policy and guidelines.

One is that the items are family-friendly, particular wording must be present, and a buncha other stuff.    :)

It was enough that we found it cheaper (and a lot less hassle..) to have a manufacturer do it for us.

Is it possible to purchase online a single tracking number without buying a TB on geocaching store?

4 hours ago, Jane Storm said:

Is it possible to purchase online a single tracking number without buying a TB on geocaching store?

Sadly, no.

4 hours ago, Jane Storm said:

No.  The tracking codes  are only sold in groups of 50.    They're used for geocoins mostly.   :)

If pricing at the store seems to be an issue, just type geocaching trackables in google, and one of the partnered sites probably has something on sale you can purchase for that code.

Realize that what you purchase may have an icon unusual for what you wanted the code for  (let's say a "hello kitty" icon for a car decal).

- Many tags are different than the standard Travel Bug icon.     

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

Sadly, no.

Yep.  The reason being that the code only,  unattached to a coin, tag, or something,  doesn't yet conform to the order/policy guidelines.

That "cover yer can" thing I believe.    

Once a trackable with a code belongs to you, it's a whole-different animal (within reason, I'd bet).     :)

• Helpful 1

I've repurposed a couple of my codes.  I have two geocoins which each came with a proxy tag (not sure if that's the real term, but basically it lets you send out the proxy to travel and keep the nice coin at home).  I realized that my proxy tags had different tracking numbers than my coins, so I used the proxy tag tracking numbers for other trackable items.  And I kept the coins at home as they're really nice.

The only problem is that my repurposed tracking codes are categorized under their original trackable type; I'm not sure if I can have that changed to something else (which I've seen done with tattoos).

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

If pricing at the store seems to be an issue, just type geocaching trackables in google, and one of the partnered sites probably has something on sale you can purchase for that code.

Realize that what you purchase may have an icon unusual for what you wanted the code for  (let's say a "hello kitty" icon for a car decal).

- Many tags are different than the standard Travel Bug icon.     

If I understand correctly, let's say I decide to buy the ''hello kitty'' to use its tracking number, my trinket will have the ''hello kitty'' icon? In fact, pricing isn't my issue at the moment, but the shipping time-frame is. I've been leaving in a very remote place and I will be relocating in a very near future. My objective was to let a trinket here with the objective of reaching my new location. It looks like I will have to do it the other way around: from my new location to the current one. 

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

The only problem is that my repurposed tracking codes are categorized under their original trackable type

What do you mean by trackable type?

8 hours ago, Jane Storm said:

If I understand correctly, let's say I decide to buy the ''hello kitty'' to use its tracking number, my trinket will have the ''hello kitty'' icon? I

We have reference numbers, to bring you to that trackable's page, and a tracking code  that allows you to log it.

- But yep, whatever that tracking code was attached to.   :)

A friend of mine has a plastic "disc" with the tracking code from a long -"missing" geocoin. 

He uses it to allow people he meets on-trail to Discover it.

The code belonged to a "cat" geocoin, and when people log his plastic disc, they accrue a "cat geocoin"  icon in the shape of a cat's head.

Here's a pretty-lengthy section from the Help Center on Trackables.  

• Helpful 1

I purchased a couple of geocoins long ago that had an icon I wanted which would be relevant to what I attached the code to and be discovered. I bought a geocoin bike so I could use the code to track my bicycle, and an iphone coin to track my smartphone. No reason you can't repurpose the code of an existing trackable item, but yes you just need to be aware that the icon (and the base part of the trackable title) won't change.  You can customize the name of the trackable, but there's a series name that can't be changed either.

22 hours ago, Jane Storm said:

My objective was to let a trinket here with the objective of reaching my new location. It looks like I will have to do it the other way around: from my new location to the current one. 

Are you checking messages?

23 hours ago, Jane Storm said:

My objective was to let a trinket here with the objective of reaching my new location.

It looks like I will have to do it the other way around: from my new location to the current one. 

Sounds fun, but realize that once you release your trackable into the wild, you no longer have control of it.   

It might not have reached your "new" location for some time, if at all.  That "anyone can play" thing...     :)

We've seen a few now who've been lucky in having their trackables go where they'd like it to, but most we've seen don't.

Many we know are just happy they're still in play.

23 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

but realize that once you release your trackable into the wild, you no longer have control of it.

Yes I am aware, it will be fun to follow its path around, hoping it will be able to come back way up where we lived for the past five years. 

On 6/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, Jane Storm said:

What do you mean by trackable type?

A trackable shows up in your profile under a certain trackable type, like "Jeep 4x4 Travel Bugs" or "Mary Hyde's Treasure" or "HQ GeoTour Geocoins" or whatever.  You see it when you click on your trackable tab in your profile.  

What I was saying is that I was repurposing my proxy tag trackable codes, so if something was originally from a "GIFF 2018 Geocoin" and then I use that code for something else, like a backpack, my backpage trackable page will show up as a GIFF 2018 Geocoin, which obviously it's not.  Anyone who discovers my backpack will see a GIFF 2018 Geocoin in their list of found trackable types.

Maybe you can ask HQ to change your trackable's type, I don't know though.  I've heard that if you buy a plain ol' travel bug dog tag and use that code as a tattoo, HQ will change the trackable type to a trackable tattoo.

8 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Maybe you can ask HQ to change your trackable's type, I don't know though.  I've heard that if you buy a plain ol' travel bug dog tag and use that code as a tattoo, HQ will change the trackable type to a trackable tattoo.

Great thanks for the precision! Much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I don't believe you can.

I feel the only reason they'll change the "tattoo"  icon is someone's marking their body permanently for this hobby.

- Probably good advertising too.      :)

• Upvote 1