Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spiritwolf922

Multiple types of earthcaches?

I'm looking at the possibility of wanting to create an earthcache at a well-known cave.  It's a tourist attraction, so the place is manned by rangers and staff; it's not just some hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere.  Presuming that when I contact the managers at this location, that I obtain permission to 'place' an earthcache here, can anyone tell me if it's 'allowable' to set up more than one earthcache at a single location?  I'm asking because there are potentials to do an earthcache based on the geologic makeup of the place; significance of the same place as a mineral source for gunpowder at one time; the types of formations within the cave; the river system at the same location, etc., etc.  I'm in the beginning stages of research for ideas for this area, but I can see where there might be potential to set up a 'cluster' of earthcaches because the subject matter available here could be overwhelming for a single earthcache.  (It would be very, very long.)

I recently visited and logged a small cluster of earthcaches, and while they were related, they weren't all on top of one another - though they were within an easy walking distance.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to check out these natural phenomena, especially since it allowed me to log multiple types of earthcaches within a small area:  cave, river, bedrock, etc.  In looking at the area I'm considering, there's potential for so many earthcache-type lessons, so I'd like to maximize the potential for smileys.

Is this me being overexcited and ridiculous, or...?

The Help Center page Limiting some EarthCache types lists several types that are now limited. Also, the Help Center page Create an EarthCache warns that EarthCaches that are near each other must provide distinctive lessons, and suggests that it may be better to combine the lessons into one EarthCache.

As a practical matter, it might be a good idea to start out publishing one EarthCache, just to get a feel for what it's like to own and maintain one. Then, once you've got a feel for it, go ahead and publish others with different lessons.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, niraD said:

The Help Center page Limiting some EarthCache types lists several types that are now limited. Also, the Help Center page Create an EarthCache warns that EarthCaches that are near each other must provide distinctive lessons, and suggests that it may be better to combine the lessons into one EarthCache.

I've been reading the FAQs on both geocaching.com and the links provided to the Geological Society of America and I've found that to be helpful.  Right now, I'm just doing general research on the various topics to see what might be feasible as lessons.  I still have to revisit the actual cave site to see if the lessons are still applicable.  (One has historical significance, but that alone is not acceptable for an earthcache, according to the rules.  I can still turn it into an earthcache - I think - but only if I can show the geologic value.)

Ive seen it before... I own a couple in a Conservation area with about 10 in it already. As long as they are different it should be fine

• Upvote 1

I hate to give a lawyer answer, but "it depends."  I was originally going to do one earthcache at Fort Jefferson, but what I had in mind ended up splitting out into two different earthcaches.  And then two more have since been published.  The key is to make sure they don't overlap with each other, and that there aren't similar earthcaches nearby.

There are other potential factors that could limit earthcaches here.  Is there an admission fee to the cave?  Is there any way to integrate GPS besides just taking visitors to the cave entrance or parking coordinates?

Ultimately, the best person to answer your questions on what can or can't be published will be the earthcache reviewer for the area in question.  That said, posting in this forum is a great way to vet out issues so you can develop your plan and ask your reviewer better questions.  Once you think you've gotten enough feedback here, you might want to email him or her with some general proposals before you spend hours writing up earthcaches.  If the cave is in the USA, then this handy map will let you know which reviewer to contact.

498012e0-95d0-421c-a801-52f399d0f657.png

(disclaimer, I cover the purple areas in my role as a geoaware)

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

The key is to make sure they don't overlap with each other, and that there aren't similar earthcaches nearby.

There are other potential factors that could limit earthcaches here.  Is there an admission fee to the cave?  Is there any way to integrate GPS besides just taking visitors to the cave entrance or parking coordinates?

There are no earthcaches nearby.  I'm not sure why this location hasn't been the subject of one before now.  It's a pretty obvious place to set one up.  That said, I plan to visit it over the weekend to see if I can speak with the staff/rangers about obtaining information to create an earthcache.

Yes, there is an admission fee, however, the entryway of the cave - probably 50-75 feet? - is accessible for free; it's the waiting area for the tour into the fenced-off area.  This is why I want to visit the location to see what lessons can be done just from this area, but I would include descriptions of the formations on the inside of the caves.  I'm also planning on taking a tour of the cave so I can get my own photos of formations to be used in the description as visual examples so that visitors do not HAVE to go into the cave.

I want to make this earthcache easy enough that a child could do it, so I'm writing it with terminology but with simple definitions.  I'm hoping that this will make it more 'publishable'.

Thoughts?

PS, just to clarify, since earthcaches are geology-based, it is not necessary to include chemical reaction equations in descriptions even if they're present, right?

22 hours ago, spiritwolf922 said:

I plan to visit it over the weekend to see if I can speak with the staff/rangers about obtaining information to create an earthcache.

Awesome.  Having staff on board is always helpful.

Yes, there is an admission fee, however, the entryway of the cave - probably 50-75 feet? - is accessible for free; it's the waiting area for the tour into the fenced-off area.  This is why I want to visit the location to see what lessons can be done just from this area, but I would include descriptions of the formations on the inside of the caves.

A fee isn't necessarily a show stopper, but it makes a difference how much it is ($10 or under is normally reasonable) and whether it's paid to a commercial cave company or a town/county/state/national park fee.

If part of the cave is available at no cost, and the rangers are OK with having an earthcache there, that's certainly helpful.  But at the end of the day, a geocacher should be completing an earthcache with what they can observe.  So if they're only going to get a good lesson by going into the cave, then set it up that they have to go in.  Cachers will vote with their feet on whether they want to pay the fee or not.

I want to make this earthcache easy enough that a child could do it, so I'm writing it with terminology but with simple definitions.  I'm hoping that this will make it more 'publishable'.

Not all geoawares are geologists, so yeah - not only does this make the cache accessible to more cachers, it can also be helpful on the front end as well.  :laughing:

PS, just to clarify, since earthcaches are geology-based, it is not necessary to include chemical reaction equations in descriptions even if they're present, right?

I mean, you can, if you want.  That might take away from your earlier point about making it accessible.  Maybe include that in a link for those who are interested in more reading.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, spiritwolf922 said:

Some of the information plaques inside caverns have the chemical reaction information that was critical in forming the cavern. Why would this not be part of a geology lesson?  Without that chemical reaction, there would be no cave.

• Upvote 1

One catch with a fee, is it a government run, charity,  or a for profit business.  The latter can pose a problem if it is a fee as it is purely commercial.

• Helpful 1