Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Seadog6608

Sick and Tired

I am sick and tired of two different tracking numbers on trackables.  The code on the bloody item should be the ONLY code needed to log a trackable.  This system in place is ridiculous.  I just tried to log another trackable just now and It will not recognize the TB number.  Make it simpler Geocaching.com.  I have better things to do with my time than try to log something 5 different times.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Seadog6608 said:

I am sick and tired of two different tracking numbers on trackables.  The code on the bloody item should be the ONLY code needed to log a trackable.  This system in place is ridiculous.  I just tried to log another trackable just now and It will not recognize the TB number.  Make it simpler Geocaching.com.  I have better things to do with my time than try to log something 5 different times.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. I have not experienced that issue yet.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that the reason for two numbers per trackable is reasonable.

• One is to post links to a trackable's page (TBxxxxx), but without allowing someone to log actions on the tb.
  • The other number, which is on the actual trackable, is for logging actions (drop, retrieve, discover).

Are you seeing multiple numbers on a single trackable item?  If so, then maybe that is something the trackable owner has attached and they are the ones to "blame" for your frustration.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Seadog6608 said:

Hum there are some characters that are similar like 0 (zero) and o (letter) maybe it's why it don't recognize what you wrote in the system?

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Seadog6608 said:

There is a public number called the reference number, which may be published and helps people find a particular TB.  That number typically starts with "TB".

The secret "Tracking Number" is what you use to make logs.  It's the number engraved on the item, although for Geocoins, there may be additional numbers such as event cache numbers.

Beware that once you type a tracking number and if it's rejected, you must return to the search page before trying again.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

If folks would realize that there's a difference between Reference Number and the Tracking Code, maybe they'd realize there aren't "two different tracking numbers".  :)

The difference between the two is stated that way under  Trackables in the Help Center.

- Though it sounds (to me) to be simply a number/letter mistaken for another. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Corp Of Discovery said:

Surprised that no one has yet mentioned that trackables actually have 3 numbers associated with them... ;)

I did not know that.

1 hour ago, Corp Of Discovery said:

Surprised that no one has yet mentioned that trackables actually have 3 numbers associated with them... ;)

Very surprising because I know 4 numbers or codes associated with them.

2 hours ago, arisoft said:

Very surprising because I know 4 numbers or codes associated with them.

I was going by the numbers statement, and only know 2.  If I count non-unique alpha codes, that would make it 3. But I'm still missing some! 

15 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

But I'm still missing some! 

You can find all of them somewhere from the trackable's page.

- Tracking number

- Reference number

- ID number

- WID hash for posting logs