What does this button do?

I noticed in a thread that was started recently, that I was quoted in a reply I made, so being of a curious nature, I clicked on the link, and an error page informed me that I no longer have access to the thread.  It seemed like the thread was very civil, from my point of view, and had a hard time imagining a Mod had to step in and remove the entire thread.  Digging a bit deeper, I went to a thread I started a very long time ago, and saw the following OP option:

image.png.acee10c19755db810829a2027b96fc56.png

So I'm guessing this has to do with the whole GDPR thingy, and it made me wonder if this is working in the intended way.  I understand that folks have the right to have all content removed that they contribute, but I'm wondering if that goes for MY content as well?

Seems a shame to have such a global feature on a thread, essentially erasing, what could be some interesting and valuable content from Community members.  Thoughts?

Someone emailed me about this just a short time ago.  :)

We've seen a few zapped threads over the years, so figured this gdpr thing might see more, but most were when the OP deleted all content from that Original Post.

But can see replies within the thread as well.  Five people responding to someone who gave up ("they didn't agree with me..."), removing their content, no longer making sense. 

- Would a  Mod have to delete responses to deleted post ?  It has the user's name...  Easier to vaporize the thread maybe. 

That's correct; users can delete their own content due to GDPR (and it's an on/off setting so it doesn't matter if you live outside the EU).

If you are the topic starter, and you delete the opening post, then the entire thread disappears.

So, thanks, EU, for watching out for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

While digging, did you check your forums post for user ?    :) 

I'm not sure what you're asking?  Is it the Forum Posts by Users through their Profile?  If so, I checked both my Profile and the OP's Profile, and the Delete button appears to be ruthlessly efficient in removing all traces of the thread.

32 minutes ago, Keystone said:

So just playing devils advocate, and understanding that some of these laws have unintended consequences, has their been any thought to retaining portions of the threads that aren't related to the OP?  I say, knowing full well, that I don't understand the technical difficulties involved in deleting portions of a thread, rather than the entire thread.

Just seems kind of pointless to be helpful to the noobs, if they turn around and take their toys home when they encounter some constructive criticism, even when it's delivered in a courteous fashion.

• Upvote 3

There are two limits in the out-of-the-box third party forum software.  First, if EU members have the ability to delete content, then everyone does - unless separate forum membership groups are created (like how only premium members can see the Off Topic forum).  That would be logistically daunting.

Second, when the opening post of a thread is hidden, then so are all the replies.  A moderator could theoretically split off the replies, but without an opening post, any reply by the OP, and any replies that quote the OP.  That would be tedious and confusing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I wish I had paid attention to the OP's name so I can avoid wasting my time helping them in the future.

:D

I tried that once, when folks asked a question then never came back to see all the helpful answers. 

It got to be too many to think about it anymore.    

15 hours ago, Keystone said:

That's correct; users can delete their own content due to GDPR (and it's an on/off setting so it doesn't matter if you live outside the EU).

If you are the topic starter, and you delete the opening post, then the entire thread disappears.

Does the EU require the site to allow someone to repeatedly start and kill threads?

For example, if someone kills a thread, they could get a 1-month timeout where they are not allowed to start new threads. If they do it again, that doubles to 2 months. Again, 4 months. Again, 8 months.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, niraD said:

For example, if someone kills a thread, they could get a 1-month timeout where they are not allowed to start new threads. If they do it again, that doubles to 2 months. Again, 4 months. Again, 8 months.

Why would you sanction someone for using their legal rights?

• Upvote 2
Just now, on4bam said:

Do they have a legal right to delete others' posts, too? When someone deletes the OP of a thread they've started, they delete the entire thread. That means deleting other people's posts.

9 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Do they have a legal right to delete others' posts, too? When someone deletes the OP of a thread they've started, they delete the entire thread. That means deleting other people's posts.

That's a fight you'll have to pick with GS. It's their decision (via the forum software) to delete other people's content. A EU poster has every right to delete his/her own content, if  the forum owner decides that when this happens other people's post are also deleted that's up to them. Probably they think it's too difficult to delete someone's posts AND quoted text and leaving all other content intact.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, on4bam said:

This would not be sanctioning them for using their legal rights. This would be protecting the forum from being disrupted by them using their legal rights.

They have a right to delete their content. They don't have a right to disrupt the forum by deleting their content.

1 minute ago, niraD said:

They have a right to delete their content. They don't have a right to disrupt the forum by deleting their content.

Again, it's the forum owner who decides this. A user can delete his/her own content, the fact that other people's content is deleted too is beyond the poster's control. I see no reason why one wouldn't be able to delete one's own posts AND the quotes in reply posts.

A poster has no control whatsoever on how the forumsoftware works but has to have the possibility the delete his/her own content. Worst case, a poster should ask a moderator who manually deletes the content. Just look up the possible fines for non-compliance and you'll see why everyone was scrambling to get their s******! in order.

• Upvote 4
44 minutes ago, niraD said:

Does the EU require the site to allow someone to repeatedly start and kill threads?

I think a time out for a # of killed threads is a good idea. I fully support someone's right to delete their own content.

13 hours ago, Keystone said:

Off topic, but who's your favorite actress?  Mine's Seyfried.  Who's your favorite actor?  Mine's Hemsworth.  Not Liam... the other one.

6 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

When you go off topic, you really go way off topic.

Nah, only a wee bit off topic.  Keystone is just proving he is a dog trainer not a dog!

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, niraD said:

This would not be sanctioning them for using their legal rights. This would be protecting the forum from being disrupted by them using their legal rights.

Well, apparently they do.  

23 minutes ago, niraD said:

Judging by what I saw and the subsequent posting history of the OP,  I would say the forum would have been disrupted had the thread had continued.

49 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Imagine someone that got a kick out of annoying everyone, and started to create threads and then delete them after they got started regularly. Yeah, it's their legal right to delete their content, but that doesn't mean GS has to let them set up the situation. In fact, GS could reasonably ban them altogether for doing something like that. Having imagined that problem and recognizing GS is justified in preventing it, it's not that hard to see that a lessor limit, such as niraD's month long holddown timer, is also a reasonable idea. (I wouldn't support it since deleted threads aren't a serious problem, I'm just pointing out that it's worthy of consideration.)

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, dprovan said:

Imagine someone that got a kick out of annoying everyone, and started to create threads and then delete them after they got started regularly. Yeah, it's their legal right to delete their content, but that doesn't mean GS has to let them set up the situation. In fact, GS could reasonably ban them altogether for doing something like that. Having imagined that problem and recognizing GS is justified in preventing it, it's not that hard to see that a lessor limit, such as niraD's month long holddown timer, is also a reasonable idea. (I wouldn't support it since deleted threads aren't a serious problem, I'm just pointing out that it's worthy of consideration.)

You can always find examples for everything but your example should not be used to set a standard  for time-outs after a thread/post deletion. Just like before GDPR, there are moderators who can judge what to do, no need for someone who for the first time deletes a post/thread to be sanctioned.

BTW, I don't know about the thread in the OP (I don't read everything) but if something is wrong with TS I'm sure a mod will step in.

• Upvote 1

A couple of thoughts from a non-EU citizen regarding the GDPR rules interpretation:

When someone posts a comment online, anywhere, it should not be considered private data after that moment. 

As to the OP of a topic being able to remove MY comments, it seems like that person has now violated MY rights.

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, K13 said:

As to the OP of a topic being able to remove MY comments, it seems like that person has now violated MY rights.

No he hasn't. The site owner configured his/her site to do so, it's up to them to make it so only the OP's comments are deleted. The OP has no option to chose.

• Upvote 3