Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
OLapis

New Category Idea: Cáritas

I recently started to explore the categories to start shooting for Waymarking things that I normally would not do while traveling, and I found this type of categories:

YMCA / YWCA, Ronald McDonald Houses, Salvation Army Locations, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Humane Societies and Rescues, Masonic Temples, Knights of Columbus Councils, Odd Fellow Lodges, Knights of Pythias, Elks Lodge, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Grange Halls, Moose Lodges and Centers, Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, Lions Clubs International, Soroptimist International, Kiwanis International, Rotary International.

And I noticed that there is no category for Cáritas. My idea was to create a category that, like other ones I saw, was to include buildings and monuments related to Cáritas International.

"Caritas Internationalis is a confederation of Catholic relief, development and social service organisations operating in over 200 countries and territories worldwide. Collectively and individually their claimed mission is to work to build a better world, especially for the poor and oppressed. The first Caritas organisation was established by Lorenz Werthmann on 9 November 1897 in Germany. Other national Caritas organisations were soon formed in Switzerland (1901) and the United States (Catholic Charities, 1910)." Wikipedia

Basically, this organization fits well with the other ones mentioned above. I just do not know, if there are really so many places to waymark. I may be biased by the situation in my home area and it looks different in other countries, but here there are hardly any places that would qualify, although the organization itself is very present with billboards, TV ads and the like. But they have no meeting halls and very little other locations.

I know a regional headquarters not far away, this is a simple office building like many, without any special sign or anything else of interest. And then I know a shop they run downtown with cheap food for underprivileged people, you need an official permit to enter, not sure if there is a sign outside, maybe not, but these locations are always a bit delicate to photograph.

• Upvote 1

We have seen many Caritas locations on our journeys.

To verify how many are out there and if there are signs or markers with the Caritas Symbol i did a serch in google pictures like this:

Caritas Haus

Caritas Building

The result is that there are many and most of them has a sign or painting with the symbol.

Next check was to open google maps and type in a city, Bonn, New York, Prague for example. Then type DRK (for the german Red Cross) and see how many buildings are there. Or type Red Cross for searching in international areas. Doing the same using Caritas shows that in some areas there are more Red Cross / DRK buildings, in other areas are more from Caritas.

I think it is a good idea to get this category in place.

Harry (Team Iris & Harry)

Not my favorite kind of category but fair enough, if you go for it I would vote "yes".

Thank you all for your coments. I did some more research and it's possible to find Caritas locations all over the world :)

On 14/03/2018 at 0:20 PM, fi67 said:

Basically, this organization fits well with the other ones mentioned above. I just do not know, if there are really so many places to waymark. I may be biased by the situation in my home area and it looks different in other countries, but here there are hardly any places that would qualify, although the organization itself is very present with billboards, TV ads and the like. But they have no meeting halls and very little other locations.

I know a regional headquarters not far away, this is a simple office building like many, without any special sign or anything else of interest. And then I know a shop they run downtown with cheap food for underprivileged people, you need an official permit to enter, not sure if there is a sign outside, maybe not, but these locations are always a bit delicate to photograph.

Has you mentioned your home area I took a look at your profile and found out that it is Switzerland so using the street view from google I was able to see several places of the caritas in Switzerland that would enter perfectly into the category :)

But are these locations interesting? Do they overlap with existing categories like thrift stores and Medieval spiritual warriors?

Is it time for a catch all category of Church-affiliated charitable organizations? 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, OLapis said:

Has you mentioned your home area I took a look at your profile and found out that it is Switzerland so using the street view from google I was able to see several places of the caritas in Switzerland that would enter perfectly into the category :)

I did not say, there are none. The two I mentioned are both in the closest city to home, and I have found two more in the same city, both thrift stores. There are enough locations to make it a valid category, when you consider the global and prevalence criteria.

But I have not seen any location yet that would be unique or interesting. No place worth a special visit, not a great category. We don't need it, but I won't stay in the way.

• Upvote 1

On ‎19‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

But are these locations interesting? Do they overlap with existing categories like thrift stores and Medieval spiritual warriors?

Is it time for a catch all category of Church-affiliated charitable organizations? 

1. Interesting? If the Thrift Stores and the Permanent Charity Donation Locations are not included, I can't think of any interesting locations to remain.

2. Overlap? Yes, they either would overlap or just include offices, that don't accept donations, right?

3. Catch all charitable organizations? If interesting locations could be included, it would be a good idea, but why only Church-affiliated ones?

I like the idea, despite not being a religious person I think that due to its size and importance Cáritas deserves a category.

• Upvote 1

Catholic Charities of Dallas is a MEMBER of Caritas -- they run thrift stores to raise funds and items to help refugees and the Catholic poor of Dallas.  Is this what you want to waymark with this proposed category, or will there have to be a sign that says specifically CARITAS?

https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/members/catholic-charities-of-dallas

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 1

I'm trying to create the category but it's not easy, Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Just now, OLapis said:

I'm trying to create the category but it's not easy, Can anyone help me? Thank you.

I'll be happy to help, I'll contact you :)

• Upvote 1