Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Sikko

Waymarking app, please

We had written to geocaching.com and asked if it was not possible to get an app like the geocaching app, where you can read Waymarking, take pictures and log while we're out.

We find it difficult to open a browser and go to Waymarking.com and find out about the Waymarking nearby.

Is there an easier way to do it without the use of computer, mobile and browser.

Geocaching.com could not help and referred to this forum.

Posted (edited)

Edited by elyob

IMHO - Geocaching got pissed at Waymarking because all the "good" GPS users left or seriously curtailed their "Tupperware searching" to actually use their GPSr and cameras to do somethnig meaningful, making interesting Waymarks. So they quit supporting Waymarking, hoping it would die off and the "lost souls" would end up returning to Geocaching.

So, no, Geocaching will not help make an app, nor allow it to be published (and thereby help keep Waymarking going). Actually, it still surprises me that they haven't just pulled the plug on the Waymarking servers!

• Upvote 1

I'm still using the chilehead web app  to see all the waymarks around me when I travel.
The functions "Navigate (compass)" and "Visit waymark" that worked in the past unfortunately do not work anymore.
But the functions "Find waymarks near My location", "View on map" and "Full listing on Waymarking.com" still work.

A topic was created in the Forum about this web app in 2013 but the last post is from January 2015.

• Upvote 2

The BIG problem with the chilehead web app is that it will NOT keep you logged in.  And I don't mean across usages.   I mean within a single usage/session of the app.  You log in, and then do anything that requires a login, and it tells you that you need to log in!

I would be using it all the time if it weren't for the "not really logged in" issue.  If that could be fixed, I think we'd be there as good as we can get.

18 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

The BIG problem with the chilehead web app is that it will NOT keep you logged in.  And I don't mean across usages.   I mean within a single usage/session of the app.  You log in, and then do anything that requires a login, and it tells you that you need to log in!

I would be using it all the time if it weren't for the "not really logged in" issue.  If that could be fixed, I think we'd be there as good as we can get.

So Where's chilihead these days? Can anyone contact him/her/it and point out the problem(s)? I've actually tried it but haven't made real use of it.

Keith

I also use this app from time to time, but usually I only look what is around and don't use it to navigate to waymarks, log visits or create new waymarks.

Anyway, I tried the "Navigate (compass)" option and it seemed to work.

Also I could post a visit, but couldn't upload a photo (neither from the gallery nor by taking a new photo with the camera).

About the login problem: I tried a few things, and the app kept me logged in all the time. Even if I used the back button to go back to the page where I wasn't logged in, it still keeps me logged in. I use the "Samsung Internet" app instead of a browser, so maybe it makes a difference which browser is used.

I just tried it, too. I did not have any problem to stay logged in. I am using Chrome 63 on Android 7.0. Your problem must have another reason, it is not the site.

Thanks for posting. I assumed there was a mobile app, and that I just couldn’t find it. 

For now it seems to be staying logged in, even after dismissing the browser and coming back in.  I'm using Chrome on an Android.  The same one that I had the login problem with 3 or 4 years ago.

However, it still is rather limited in use.  It is showing my current location on the map. That's good.  And I told Chrome to allow the page to use my current location.  No problem there.

But when I hit the button for nearest waymarks to my location, it starts with waymarks over 9 miles away, even though there is one literally in my back yard (not figuratively), and there a slew of them in my town only 2.5 miles away.  No matter how many times I leave the "app" (really just a proxy that uses the Groundspeak API for Waymarking), it still shows my correct location, but the "nearest waymarks" are over 9 miles away.

Goofy.  Not sure what I can use it for.

Another "fix this and then I'll use it" thing.  :rolleyes:

Okay.  I figured out the "nearest waymarks" being 9 miles away thing.  There is an option - ON by default - to ignore the ones you've already visited.  (Surprised that there's any within 20 miles that I haven't visited.  Got more visiting to do!)  Turned it OFF and all was fine.

EXCEPT, when I come into this app the first time every day, I have to login again.  Also when I haven't been in the app for a few hours -- not sure how long -- I have to login again.  Seems like the browser is expiring a cookie that it shouldn't be, or something.  Perhaps it's the browser's fault, not the proxy?

Posted (edited)

I tried to use the app on my 25 day long Alaska trip, but again, it would not stay logged in.  I would click the Nearest Waymarks link and it would tell me to log in, so I would.  Then I'd click on the Nearest Waymarks again, and it would tell me to login again.  I tried this at different locations on the trip, and with 2 different browsers,  and could never get it to work.

Somehow the app is either (1) not handing off the login information correctly to the underlying web page, or (2) "forgetting" that you have already logged into the underlying web page.

Note: Using the Waymarking web page directly (kinda tricky on a Motorola Mini Droid) worked fine.  So there was nothing wrong with my login or logging in.  Only the app has the problem, on both Chrome and Ad-Block Browser (essentially Firefox).

In fact, it is still doing this today when I'm at home and connected to WiFi.  I cannot even mark a visit to anything because it tells me I'm not logged in.  This really needs to be fixed to make this proxy app useful.

Edit: I've even stayed logged into Waymarking on one tab of the browser, then used the app link and the same browser, so that the app is on one link and the regular Waymarking page is on the other tab.  No go.  It is not the browser's fault, not Waymarking's fault; it is clearly the app. "forgetting" that you logged in.

Edited by MountainWoods
Adding one more thing.