How do I post a needs maintenance log?

Stoplight25

1 hour ago, JohnCNA said:

Select Write Note. Then there's an option to report a problem. 

19 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

You can do it from a found log, too:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=107

"If you find a geocache in need of help (e.g. logbook is full or container is damaged), add a “Report a problem” option to your log." Further instructions at the link.

Thanks, now I can tell that CO that his log is full!

On 10/30/2017 at 6:45 AM, Stoplight25 said:

Thanks, now I can tell that CO that his log is full!

FYI - For now, there are other options:

Opting out of the "New Logging Experience" (see top of attached image).  Using the old logging page, you can simply choose Needs Maintenance from the list of log types (see bottom of attached image) and then you can add your own text of the NM issue.  The Old logging page can't be used for Draft logs (Field Notes), but does work when selecting "log geocache" from the cache page.

Another method I've used is to submit the NM log via the official app. In the app, one can select "Report a problem" and then "Needs Maintenance".

My personal preference is to use these other options, because I don't want to create a needless WN log and because I want my own text to be in the NM log, rather than one of the canned log messages. YMMV.

gc-loggingNM.png

Edited by noncentric
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, jellis said:

I don't understand, if we have to keep opting out why do they want us to use the new page? They should either trash that idea or fix it. I had the same trouble trying to log a NA and it wouldn't let me so I opted out.

Technically, we don't "have to" opt-out to log NM/NA. Those log types can be submitted by "reporting a problem" when submitting another log (Found It, DNF, WN). However, if we want the same functionality that exists with the 'old way', then opting out is the route to take. I'd hope that if GS sees how many cachers opt-out, then they'll realize that the 'new way' isn't ideal and they have more work to do. GS has made improvements to the Message Center, so I'm hoping they will make changes to the other 'new' pages as well, especially before they remove the option to opt out.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, noncentric said:

However, if we want the same functionality that exists with the 'old way', then opting out is the route to take. I'd hope that if GS sees how many cachers opt-out, then they'll realize that the 'new way' isn't ideal and they have more work to do.

Once upon a time, I used to defend GS to the hilt, but I've gotten really cynical about them over the last couple years, so I have to say that no matter how many people they see opt out, I fully expect them to just chalk the number up to "haters that hate changes". I'm dreading the day they finally decide they've left all the opt-outs in long enough and start removing them since there aren't many of the new pages I've found usable.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, dprovan said:

I'm dreading the day they finally decide they've left all the opt-outs in long enough and start removing them since there aren't many of the new pages I've found usable.

I hear you. Each page that has a "new" version has something missing/dysfunctional that pushes me to use the "old" version. I do default to the "new" Profile and Dashboard pages, but there are times that I need to go back to the "old" versions of those pages in order to do something specific.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, kylegeocache said:

Personally I find it easiest to log a NM log on the app, to do so you should scroll to the bottom of the cache page on the app and there is a button that says "Report a problem with this geocache" then press "Maintenance suggested"

The problem with that approach is that it logs a placeholder NM log that says that you reported that maintenance is needed. The details have to go in your other log (whether that's a Find, a Note, or a DNF).

Some of us prefer to include real information about the problem in the NM log.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, kylegeocache said:

Personally I find it easiest to log a NM log on the app, to do so you should scroll to the bottom of the cache page on the app and there is a button that says "Report a problem with this geocache" then press "Maintenance suggested"

Sure, it may be "easiest".  :)        Similar to niraD, we see that a lot, a default-like log that tells everyone nothing.

IIRC, the app simply has a "this geocacher reported that the cache..."  (missing, needs maintenance...), and that's all.

It's up to the cacher to add in their log what the issue  is.  We're not seeing many doing that.

- A "damp log" that can be handled easily, not the same as a "bear-chewed container"...

It's more responsible (to me) to go onto the site and leave a separate NM log, or make mention in my Found It if using the app, stating what the issue actually is (sometimes in depth...).

For example, a "Water needed" cache had an animal die in the brook.  That fun cache could now be a biological nightmare if small kids around.

"Needs maintenance" by itself isn't gonna help anyone know what the issue is until they get there.  Hopefully they notice...  

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

IIRC, the app simply has a "this geocacher reported that the cache..."  (missing, needs maintenance...), and that's all.

I posted a NM from the app on Monday and it let me type whatever I wanted right there in the NM log. Aren’t those canned NM logs what you get from the website using the new interface?

On 12/26/2019 at 2:48 AM, mustakorppi said:

I posted a NM from the app on Monday and it let me type whatever I wanted right there in the NM log. Aren’t those canned NM logs what you get from the website using the new interface?

Yes, the new logging experience ALLOWS you to include log text describing the perceived problem. It does not require that text, and that is the problem to many of us.

1 hour ago, K13 said:

Yes, the new logging experience ALLOWS you to include log text describing the perceived problem. It does not require that text, and that is the problem to many of us.

The current implementation works on the assumption that the cacher reporting a maintenance issue is doing so as an add-on to another log. If the cacher only wants to log an NM, this assumption falls down and the process becomes clunky and less user-friendly for all concerned. It also separates the NM log and any provided text that explains the NM. Those are the main problems I've seen.

Personally, I want the NM log to contain my NM text, so I always switch to the old logging form where I can submit one directly.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, K13 said:

It does not require that text, and that is the problem to many of us.

At least the iPhone app does require your own text, and that was rightly pointed out to the op as an easy method of posting NM logs. I posted because two forum regulars contradicted this advice with misinformation. Or maybe the android app is different?

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

At least the iPhone app does require your own text, and that was rightly pointed out to the op as an easy method of posting NM logs. I posted because two forum regulars contradicted this advice with misinformation. Or maybe the android app is different?

I use Android. Text is required under the two options for Report a Problem. I cannot submit the log without typing something in the box..

However.... The NM I posted, with a description, from my Android app did not show on the cache page on the app or the website. Why not?  Maybe that's the part of the discussion I misunderstood!

I report a problem with the cache on the app, thru the Report a Problem feature. Who gets that information? Not the CO. Not future finders, on either the cache page on the website or the cache page on the app.  What's the point? 

Edited by Max and 99
On 12/25/2019 at 10:30 AM, niraD said:

The problem with that approach is that it logs a placeholder NM log that says that you reported that maintenance is needed. The details have to go in your other log (whether that's a Find, a Note, or a DNF).

Some of us prefer to include real information about the problem in the NM log.

Besides, if the website is set to another language then the canned NM logs are also in that language. It's great if a tourist logs such a NM, and the owner can't understand it without using a translator.