Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 47
The_Capital_Kid

Introduce Yourself

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Lil_Red_Chevy said:

Lil_Red_Chevy from SE Ohio here. 

 

Be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all! I've done a bit of geocaching before, but I lost access to my previous account as it's been a few years since I was active. Currently located in SE Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LizardLost said:

Hello all! I've done a bit of geocaching before, but I lost access to my previous account as it's been a few years since I was active. Currently located in SE Tennessee.

 

Hey, we're living in Chattanooga right now - hopefully we'll see you at an event sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

 

Hey, we're living in Chattanooga right now - hopefully we'll see you at an event sometime.


Hey, same city! :D I hope I get to see you too! 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi there!

 

I started geocaching 2 days ago with my 2 kids and we are really enjoying this. We live in Whitby, ON, Canada!

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, paul_family said:

We live in Whitby, ON, Canada!

 

Be welcome, mounties!

Share this post


Link to post

ATSM here, New to the Geocashing community here. My girls went to a summer camp this year in St. Mary's County and got to try it, then got me hooked. We've only been able to find a few as the heat here in Maryland has been nasty. But hopefully we'll get back out there soon and have so fun. Headed to CO in a few days and plan to look around, hopefully find some.

 

Am planning on a trip to Iceland in the next few years and was thinking how cool would it be to do a traveler from here in Maryland and see if it can make it Iceland before I do. The question... How? How do we do this? Do we need to register a geocache number some where, some how?

 

Is there anyone in the St. Mary's, Calvert, Charles County, Maryland area that can meet me somewhere and show me the ropes?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ATSM said:

Am planning on a trip to Iceland in the next few years and was thinking how cool would it be to do a traveler from here in Maryland and see if it can make it Iceland before I do. The question... How? How do we do this? Do we need to register a geocache number some where, some how?

 

Be welcome!

You just need to buy a Travel Bug, attach it to anything you like (smaller the better to travel between caches).

Then you Activate it here where you can set a given mission... by example "This TB wants to reach Iceland before we do."

Drop your TB inside any cache or at an Event.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Share this post


Link to post

Hey group! I am not new to GeoCaching but I am new to how it works now! I scored a deal on a old Garmin Vista (top of the line back in its day) I mostly use it for adventuring on jeep trails..

 

I thought i would revisit GeoCaching with my child. I was very surprised and sort of disappointed to find out all this fun hobby has gone the way of "Pay for full version" :(

 

"back in my day..."   lol 

 

Anyhow, cant wait to find some Caches...  hope I can stumble on a free trial to test the waters... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mrjeep said:

I was very surprised and sort of disappointed to find out all this fun hobby has gone the way of "Pay for full version" :(

 

Be welcome again.

 

Any geocacher can use the "full version" using the homepage instead of simply the free app. Cheer up!

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all,

I had meant to try out geocaching for quite some time already but somehow the time was never right - until now! I tried it out with my family before and in our holidays and the wonderful people hiding caches brought us to some extraordinarily beautiful places. The sentence "we would never have come here, had it not been for the cache" was uttered more than once.

Can't wait for all the new adventures, in particular in and around Vienna/Austria, where we are based.

So... hi everyone! :-)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Mrjeep said:

Hey group! I am not new to GeoCaching but I am new to how it works now! I scored a deal on a old Garmin Vista (top of the line back in its day) I mostly use it for adventuring on jeep trails..

I thought i would revisit GeoCaching with my child. I was very surprised and sort of disappointed to find out all this fun hobby has gone the way of "Pay for full version" :(

"back in my day..."   lol 

Anyhow, cant wait to find some Caches...  hope I can stumble on a free trial to test the waters... 

 

IIRC, if you were ever a pm, you won't get a free trial.  

 - Doesn't hurt to ask though,  just hit "contact us" on the bottom of most forum and cache pages

I grabbed a blue etrex legend around the same time, IIRC you got a better deal.   :D   They still sit in vehicles in case someone needs a loaner.

Took a look at the timeline of your last finds, and can't figure out what you feel has changed.   Please explain.  Thanks.:)

There's been basic/pm memberships well-before you took a break from the hobby.  

There was a ten-buck-once "paid" app for iphone and android.  I had windows phone then, and paid pm just to get what's considered "advanced" today.

When the site realized no one's getting paid on an app that was once-n-done, the other two came over to the pm payment plan too.

 - And at the same time, the windows phone app died off...   aannnd I went back to a handheld GPSr. 

Basic members can still play free, just that you have to work a bit more for it, now that "send to gps" was canned due to issues with plug ins and  browsers.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello my name is Addam I'm new to Geocaching. My friend from Foley taught me about it last month and I've been caching since. I currently have 26 caches under my belt and was wondering what are the 15 types of caches out there. From Foley Alabama lower or southern Alabama/ the Alabama gulf coast

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Addam09221992 said:

I currently have 26 caches under my belt and was wondering what are the 15 types of caches out there. 

 

Be very welcome!

 

1- Traditional

2- Multi

3- Mystery

4- Letterbox-Hybrid

5- Wherigo

6- Earthcache

7- Virtual

8- Lab cache

9- Webcam

10- Event

11- CITO

12- Mega Event

13- Giga Event

14- Groundspeak HQ

15- APE

Share this post


Link to post

Hi there, my name is Nikki, and I have been Geochaching for a little over a year.  Still learning.  I go out with my dad who also loves grocaching.  I also have taken my Girl Guide unit out a few times and found some with my unit.  My unit has also made up a cache and I hid it for them.  We put a trackable coin in it, also Girl Guides of Canada, and are watching it travel.  Its in Newfoundland right now.

I am still struggling with the lingo and definitions that everyone uses, but slowly learning.  Im going on holidays here in month and can't wait to go geocachin, its even part of our schedule.  

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, NikkiRosenberger said:

Hi there, my name is Nikki...

 

Be welcome mountie... and a nice left handshake.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi I am new here.

 

My name is Jo I currently have 2 geocatche finds.

 

I come from the UK.

Share this post


Link to post

Good afternoon everyone,

 

I’m brand new to geocaching. It looked like an interesting way to get outside and do some healthy exploration. The community seems very inviting from what I’ve seen so I’m pretty excited to get involved. If anyone’s geocaching around the Cincinnati area, let me know!

 

Regards,

 

Bubber

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bubberducky said:

I’m brand new to geocaching.

 

Be welcome!

Feel yourself at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone I'm brand new to GeoCaching. I thought I would give it a whorl. It sounds like a lot of fun :-). My daughter and I did a scavenger hunt in Boston Square in the rain and had a blast. I think I will bring her into this with me and maybe my husband. My daughter and I with our two dogs, Scooter & Fritzi went out for the day of caching and had 3 finds. It was so much fun! We look forward to our next adventure.

Edited by desertgiraffe
to add some updated information

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I started geocaching in 2015, but due to personal circumstances I had to pauze this beautiful hobby too soon. Since last week, I'm back on the road :-)
Caches found: only 23 ... but I'm on my way up !  I was Premium till 2 days ago, solving puzzles from beautiful geo-arts, but the Premium is expired and now I have to wait a few days to get my new code I ordered yesterday in a shop. 
Not funny for an inpatient, reborn addict...

Share this post


Link to post

Hello folks it’s P from OG exit 89 and I have a question about having a review completed, how long does it take?

thankful I have found a way to get out and be active. So let me know what you all think or know. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, mamapippa said:

Hi, I started geocaching in 2015, but due to personal circumstances I had to pauze this beautiful hobby too soon. Since last week, I'm back on the road :-)
Caches found: only 23 ... but I'm on my way up !  I was Premium till 2 days ago, solving puzzles from beautiful geo-arts, but the Premium is expired and now I have to wait a few days to get my new code I ordered yesterday in a shop. 
Not funny for an inpatient, reborn addict...

 

Glad to hear you are back in the fight! Stay clean and sober it’s a better you, praying for you ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Pierre205 said:

Hello folks it’s P from OG exit 89 and I have a question about having a review completed, how long does it take?

thankful I have found a way to get out and be active. So let me know what you all think or know. 

 

Already sent you a Message.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, linedahle said:

Hi,

I'm a beginner in geocaching, but I love it:P I come from Norway about 50 km from Oslo.

Omnia Mea Mecum Porto:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, linedahle said:

Omnia Mea Mecum Porto:rolleyes:

 

Vær velkommen!

 

PS: A very graceful rinteration of "Leave no trace, except your footprints!" :)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Share this post


Link to post

Im new to geocaching. I was on a training night with my Search and Rescue group and found a Geocache in a hole of a tree and got interested. Found this site but could not find that Geocache on the map. I plan to go track it down again. I look forward to joining the Geocaching world.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello everyone,

Some more beginners to add to the list, The Ant Hill Mob. We are a family from north Victoria, Australia. We are looking forward to placing quite a few cache's, as well as discovering the multitude out there. Good hunting everyone !

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, TheAntHillMob said:

Hello everyone,

Some more beginners to add to the list, The Ant Hill Mob. We are a family from north Victoria, Australia. We are looking forward to placing quite a few cache's, as well as discovering the multitude out there. Good hunting everyone !

Welcome fellow Aussie.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TheAntHillMob said:

We are a family from north Victoria, Australia.

 

Be very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

Howdy doodles everyone. I'm from Southwest Iowa and this is my newest 3-6 month obsession. I don't have hobbies. I have the overwhelming urge to do one thing for a few months. My husband and I talked about doing this--I don't even know how many months ago. It fizzled out because he was too hot, too cold, too tired, too busy. So I finally decided to do it alone. Adventure number one ended in a fail due to a tornado warning. We haven't had one all year in this area and when I finally decide to head out, it started to thunder and sprinkle. No big deal. I don't mind a little rain. Then my phone starts going off with a warning and I stopped. This is Southwest Iowa you don't mess around with the tornado warning.

 

I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it after my EEG on Friday or go ahead and wait until Saturday. I guess we'll have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, scenic_outlook said:

Howdy doodles everyone. I'm from Southwest Iowa and this is my newest 3-6 month obsession.

 

Howdy stranger-no-more!

Be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

Hello RStorz checking in!

 

New to geocaching and the forums, just signed up today and found 5 local caches. What a riot! I am a GIS Specialist by trade and into hiking, biking and the outdoors. This is right up my alley.

 

 

IMG_20191022_172940.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Hi This is the WhoGang.  We a family of 4 with 2 young kids 10 and 4.  Only started this year a few months back and up to 126 finds and 1 hide.  

 

Its fun, it is a real buzz to find ones, especially tricky ones.  Good at the 1s and 1.5s but having issues still with the 2s and above.  But alas will keep searching.

 

What amazes me is how many of the  locations I have been too, and never even knew what was hidden around me.  Oh I was such a blind muggle. lol

 

BTW I would love a new log type. FNT - Found but not logged.  Sometimes I do not feel a found is in order as I could not log it, but I feel I cheating myself if I put a DNF.  I did find it, but for what ever reason - wet log, lid stuck etc I could not open it, no pen handy.   

 

Just my thoughts. 

 

Happy hunting everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, WhoGang said:

Hi This is the WhoGang.  We a family of 4 with 2 young kids 10 and 4.  Only started this year a few months back and up to 126 finds and 1 hide.  

 

Its fun, it is a real buzz to find ones, especially tricky ones.  Good at the 1s and 1.5s but having issues still with the 2s and above.  But alas will keep searching.

 

What amazes me is how many of the  locations I have been too, and never even knew what was hidden around me.  Oh I was such a blind muggle. lol

 

BTW I would love a new log type. FNT - Found but not logged.  Sometimes I do not feel a found is in order as I could not log it, but I feel I cheating myself if I put a DNF.  I did find it, but for what ever reason - wet log, lid stuck etc I could not open it, no pen handy.   

 

Just my thoughts. 

 

Happy hunting everyone. 

Welcome to the obsession.

Use a Write Note for those times you "find but can't sign".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, RStorz said:

Hello RStorz checking in!

 

New to geocaching and the forums, just signed up today and found 5 local caches. What a riot! I am a GIS Specialist by trade and into hiking, biking and the outdoors. This is right up my alley.

 

 

IMG_20191022_172940.jpg

 

Be welcome happy family!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, WhoGang said:

Hi This is the WhoGang.  We a family of 4 with 2 young kids 10 and 4.

 

Be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, WhoGang said:

Hi This is the WhoGang.  We a family of 4 with 2 young kids 10 and 4.  Only started this year a few months back and up to 126 finds and 1 hide.  

 

Its fun, it is a real buzz to find ones, especially tricky ones.  Good at the 1s and 1.5s but having issues still with the 2s and above.  But alas will keep searching.

 

What amazes me is how many of the  locations I have been too, and never even knew what was hidden around me.  Oh I was such a blind muggle. lol

 

BTW I would love a new log type. FNT - Found but not logged.  Sometimes I do not feel a found is in order as I could not log it, but I feel I cheating myself if I put a DNF.  I did find it, but for what ever reason - wet log, lid stuck etc I could not open it, no pen handy.   

 

Just my thoughts. 

 

Happy hunting everyone. 

 

Welcome, WhoGang!

 

Many people have expressed the same frustration about not stuck lids, no pen, etc. and therefore not wanting to log a 'FIND', but not wanting to hang a "DNF" on themselves, either, and I applaud you for caring.

 

K13 has suggested using a "Write Note" log, and that's a great compromise.

 

My thoughts are a little different. In Geocaching, a "FIND" isn't just an application of the plain old English word "find". Yes, you might have 'found' (lower-case) the cache, but for container-based caches a "FIND" (upper-case) is defined as locating the container and physically signing the log. It's a two-step process.

 

If you don't do that, you haven't "FOUND" the cache. Again, forget the generic English definition.

 

So, you can log a "Write Note", and you would be correct. You could ALSO log a "DNF" and ALSO be correct.

 

Having a "DNF" is not a badge of dishonor, nor is it a competitive point against you. No one sees it in your stats or on a map but you. When I see someone's "DNF" log and read that he or she had it in its grubby hands but didn't claim it because they couldn't get it open, my reaction is more of "Wow, what a hard-core rule-based player!" than "Wow, what a dope; this one's easy!"

 

So why "DNF" if they're both OK? A DNF will appear on your map as a blue face, reminding you that there's unfinished business. I'm more likely go avenge an old DNF than remember that I put work into one of those caches over there and really should get back to it. Which one was it?

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Regarding your "FNT" log type - would it bump my 'Find' count? If so, then it would be the slow death of physical logging. All I would have to do is see something in that tree, or in that crevice, or on that street and not have to put any more work into retrieval. That turns all traditional caches into Virtual Caches, which are no longer allowed. 

 

Just my two cents.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, WhoGang said:

 I would love a new log type. FNT - Found but not logged.  Sometimes I do not feel a found is in order as I could not log it, but I feel I cheating myself if I put a DNF.  I did find it, but for what ever reason - wet log, lid stuck etc I could not open it, no pen handy.    

10 hours ago, K13 said:

Welcome to the obsession.

Use a Write Note for those times you "find but can't sign".

 

I use a Write Note as well, when I "find" the cache but can't sign the log for some reason.

I like my logs to be accurate.    :)

I feel if I'm looking right at it, maybe even having it in hand and simply couldn't sign the log, I really can't say I Did Not Find it.

 - I'll write why I couldn't sign the log in my Write Note, though only had this problem a handful of times.     

Of course if I get to ground-zero and can't find the container, it's always a DNF.

Share this post


Link to post

Call me "hard core". If I can't put my name on a log it's not a FIND. I'll log a DNF with reason and NM if I think it's required. As mentioned above the blue face on my map is "unfinished business", a reminder to come back. If I forgot my pen and can't make some kind of identifying mark in the log I'll come back, if practical. If I can't get back I can handle the "shame" of a blue face, even if I'm thousands of kilometres from home and wont be back anytime soon, if ever.

There are plenty more out there to find and I don't have to find them all.

  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello y'all!!

Introducing myself here!

 

Already joined some years ago but only now started hunting these little "bugs". Still catching up with all the norms and rules and hopeful will start catching (finding) some around my area, Lisbon - Portugal, as well outside :)

Any newbie tips and tricks are welcomed!

 

Thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, italou said:

Hello y'all!!

Introducing myself here!

 

Bem-vindo, conterrâneo! :)

 

PS: Apresente-se também nos sub-fóruns de língua portuguesa.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

 

From the Netherlands i greet you!

i've been member since: 13-12-2017. (But diddent do allot with it) Just Recently picked up this hobby again. Reading allot on the forum so it was time to say something by myself

:rolleyes: So hi!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 47

×
×
  • Create New...