Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
fuzzyant

Improving swappable stocks

Hi All,

So I'm on a little mini mission of improving the stocks of Swappable items in Geocache's Particularly in my home area of Canberra. I find these small items can make Geocaching more fun for kids (and big kids). if I find a cache with none I always like to leave something. if I take something if I can I will leave 2 things. it doesn't take much a bunch of stickers from the reject shop or a pile of erasers or small items only costs a few dollars. I would love any Geocacher's keen on helping with my mission to send me a friend request stating joining the mission. I may at times even send out a few items to help out.

fuzzyant

• Upvote 1

I am in.

I cache over here in Wollongong and I am a big fan or swaps or drops. I love a bit of cache maintenance and upkeep, and enjoy finding a cache that needs a bit of attention.

I have a 5litre (flour) container full of small odds and ends I have collected and I carry with me in the car so I always have some SWAG to trade. I carry spare logs and also a hand towel so I can dry wet caches.

#missiontoswag

Agree. And fly onboard.

I usually have to geocache with my 3.5 yr old so always find those with swappables. And a good one can make her participation much easier. But at this age it also only takes a couple of...substandard...swags in a row to disincentivise her.

Last week I left a pretty cool swag in a cache and took...well..there was nothing to take!

Hoping it encourages the finder to ensure they have something decent to swap in future.

That said...it can be hard to get geopreschooler to do a fair swap. The other day she left plastic cutlery in exchange for a spinning top! I'll usually chuck something in quicky while her back is turned though. 😉

I applaud your attitude and sentiment. Alas, I have stocked ammo cans and 2 litre containers with hundreds of dollars worth of trade items over the years just to watch it all dwindle to a few calling cards and a stick or two. I no longer take or leave anything in geocaches, but any new geocache I hide I still stock. Don't be surprised but do prepared to be disappointed when the geocaches you stock up are emptied and left with nought but a memory in short order.

• Upvote 1

Ahhh swag. Best thing I found was a pathtag. I’d heard of them, I’d been given a couple - then I found one to keep! 

Most caches aren’t swag-size but if I find swag (read: “trinketity stuff”) and I like some bit of trinket - I take it. I have taken a single dice and a pencil from a bundle of ikea pencils. Did I swap? No. Have I donated in the past? Of course. Do I sleep at night? Yes. 

If only everyone understood the concept of “swings and Roundabouts”. I have a bunch of mighty beanz to donate at the moment. Odd little bits of plastic they are - I’m obviously too old to see the appeal of said beanz! 

I'm too old for little toys, and so I never take or leave swaps. Nevertheless, I am gobsmacked by the absolute crap that some cachers leave as 'swaps'. A bread tag? A potato chip? A single sock? A used hair scrunchy? A business card? A used train or bus ticket? A masonry plug? A rubber band? I've encountered all of these, and taken them from the cache and thrown them away. This kind of junk is not appealing to children and is of no value to adults. Why would anyone leave it?

• Love 1

I have a box of jewellery (plus some other things) I am slowly releasing, but so many caches these days are too tiny. You know when it's a micro it won't fit, but when it's marked as a small it's disappointing to turn up with nice trinkets to find ANOTHER micro. This happens too often🤕. Then there are the damp caches and the caches in too muggly a place, which I wouldn't want to leave nice jewellery in. Eventually I will off load the box of jewellery I guess. And the dolls furniture. (The later, not in the class of the jewellery trinkets.)

• Upvote 3

Not from your area, but would like to chime in that this isn't only happening there .    :)

Like caughtatwork,  our ammo can hides rarely saw any actual swaps for swag, going back to '05. 

- But I believe all trading stopped when this hobby became a "treasure hunt".

I filled a 30cal to the brim in May last year.  Only 7 finders later, I noticed it's just-about empty  a week ago.

Even the pencils are taken (along with sharpeners), yet someone will still have the nerve to write "no pen" in a log...

In Geocaching 101,  the first "rule" is "If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value."

That just isn't happening.    Many times you're finding shells, rocks, corks, and business cards just because that's all that's left.

End of rant.   :D

I go to the local salvos store where they let me fill a bag with toys for $10 to put into caches.