Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
timjm25

If you dont have a pen

110 posts in this topic

Why having a pen? Those people go playing tennis without a racket...

You can go to a golf course without clubs. But it's not wise to try scuba diving without air. :laughing:

or skydiving without a parachute.

I've lost pens along the way.

I've pulled a pen out to sign a log, only to find it's out of ink.

I found a pen while searching for a cache. I took it with me and when I got home I discovered that the pen *was* the geocache.

I've lost pens along the way.

I've pulled a pen out to sign a log, only to find it's out of ink.

I found a pen while searching for a cache. I took it with me and when I got home I discovered that the pen *was* the geocache.

+1

Twice. :yikes:

I have as rule # always have a pen....most caches say BYOP...weird someone would cache without one...

On 12/6/2016 at 6:16 PM, Zop said:

This depends entirely on the placer. Some will not mind at all, others will actually audit their logs and delete any that aren't physically verifiable.

As for mine, if you're geocaching and finding one of my caches, odds are good that you are already pretty well scraped up so just find a twig and sign in blood! That's what we usually do :lol:

That is why I love your caches!

b6014d8d-bba1-4dbf-b1de-1f61e7c9d827.jpg

A couple of weeks ago we found a cache out in the country and Mrs C always has the signing pen in her pocket (because I keep losing them). This time for some reason she had left it in the car which was about 200m away. The easy way would be to go back to the car and get it but, to get to the cache we had to walk through long dry grass, and it is summer here, and it is snake season. (Google Australian Eastern Brown Snake). So, not wanting to tempt fate I went through the swag in the cache to see what was among the accumulated junk. Aha! Someone had left a novelty telescopic pen - but it didn't work. The CO (presumably)  had placed a pencil in the log book baggie but it was broken but, there was a pencil sharpener but it was too rusty. Our legs weren't bleeding and there were no mozzies about today, just the usual swarm of bush flies trying to crawl into our ears and nostrils, therefore signing in blood was out of the question. Solution was to chew the wood away from the lead in the pencil. Gee, the wood was hard but I chewed it off little by little until enough lead was exposed to sign the log. Job done. Where there's a will.

On 9/16/2016 at 10:41 AM, wmpastor said:

There's *always* a way to sign. A key and a leaf work very well. Be imaginative.

db9ec3ed-d804-4625-9a38-8b2ed69ce34e.jpg

I recently found a cache that was wet (I live in Seattle) and the lid had been screwed on too tightly. It was definitely the cache as the outside was labeled as such. Since I couldn't physically open the lid to sign the log, how should I properly "count" this find? I did message the CO who reported he changed out the cache soon after as he/she couldn't open it either. Am I really supposed to count that as a DNF since it was in hand, but I couldn't sign the log? I did take a photo of the cache in my hand. Thanks!

On 12/7/2017 at 1:29 PM, Gulliver_Snip said:

I recently found a cache that was wet (I live in Seattle) and the lid had been screwed on too tightly. It was definitely the cache as the outside was labeled as such. Since I couldn't physically open the lid to sign the log, how should I properly "count" this find? I did message the CO who reported he changed out the cache soon after as he/she couldn't open it either. Am I really supposed to count that as a DNF since it was in hand, but I couldn't sign the log? I did take a photo of the cache in my hand. Thanks!

I see the definition of signature includes "or other mark."  In the case above I might tape a leaf to the cache and take a photo.  Who will challenge that...Grinch?!

:D

18 minutes ago, wmpastor said:

I see the definition of signature includes "or other mark."  In the case above I might tape a leaf to the cache and take a photo.  Who will challenge that...Grinch?!

:D

"Finders" of my caches don't even have tape.  They "had no pen", and, allegedly "took a picture for proof" (and also failed to post the picture).

It's encouraging to know they had so little appreciation of my cache, they exerted no effort.  Yeah, that's just how good my cache is. B)

On 9/16/2016 at 7:40 AM, timjm25 said:

Dear Community,

If you dont happen to have a pen, which I do 90% of the time, is an emailed photo of the cache to the cache owner also an acceptable form of proof of finding it.

Thank you.

-Tim

Hi Tim.

You sure opened up a can of worms, huh?   :-)
Well don't let all the "you should know better" comments get under your skin. 

simply:  no sign, no log.   If you sign with mud or blood, then cool.  Log it.  But if you don't have a pen or like me lose it on the way?  Then you don't log.  Simple as that.

Good luck!