Eastside cachers

Pepper

quote:
Tom,

What's the timeline for the bridge getting fixed???? I'm headed for Pilchuck and Heather hopefully during this dry stretch.

Yeah, I want to go back and summit Pilchuck and do Heather too while the weather is cooperating! The bridge was being worked on by Snohomish County crews but I only found a phone # to call on their web page (360-862-7500). The damage was severe so I would think at least a week to reopen the bridge. Mountain Loop road was also washed away completely 21 miles east of the bridge, and had trees down all over the place east of the bridge, looking like an obstacle course.

-----

Tom

K7WV

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Cindy,

Thanks for the heads up on the Northern Lights display. I plan on seeing them no matter the cost of my beauty sleep.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Horizontals where it's at!

Wow...northern lights. I've never seen them! Wehn is it suppose to occur? edit: never mind my question...saw Cin's post on the last page.

You are correct EGH.

The twins decided to sit in the car 300ft away and play GameBoy while I went #900 on my own.

The girls and I cached all day today and the only one they sat out was a milestone, where's there loyalty?

See y'all at the "The Dungeon" tonight.

My other half will even be out with us!!!

Amazing.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I took a quick look or two but saw nothing. Spent some time in Alaska and saw them there before, but the absolute best!! I've seen was some years ago on the way to Bellingham at night on I-5. The sky was flashing. I pulled over to figure out what it was. It was the northern lights. Looked at them for awhile and went on up for a short visit with the inlaws. On the way back to Seattle they were still flashing. I pulled over just before Lake Samish in a dark spot and the sky was going NUTS! It was like watching the surface of the water from the bottom of the bowl. It was sloshing about like crazy. You'd see a wave come from over the hill and crest directly above me in a grand crescendo of light! A couple more sloshs, another wave, another crescendo right above my head. Man, it was really something. Thing I couldn't firgure out was I never heard anything in the news about it. (I did point it out to the in-laws, they saw some of it too, so I'm not crazy). Next to seeing a total eclipse of the sun once, this was the next most spectacular thing I've seen.

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

No N.L. for me the twins and I even drove up to the NewCastle Golf Corse and parked right by Hazards cache. Nothing, not one sloshing about of light, or crescendo of light! Just the view of the lights from the surrounding area. Which was worth the dive and did not come home with a heavy heart.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I looked last night but saw nothing in the northern sky. I really didn't expect to either as the Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) hit the earth's magnetic field at midday and the aurora had likely receded too far north to be visible by nightfall.

The best display of aurora I have seen was in Anchorage, Alaska and Keflavik, Iceland when I was in the Air Force. The best display I have seen in the "lower 48" was the night of August 20 2003. I was camped out about 150 feet from Lion Rock cache and had no warning that there might be a display that night. I took a digital pic hand held and it actually somewhat turned out--it's posted on the cache page.

We ham operators like to bounce our 2 and 6-meter signals off the auroral curtain to work other distant hams. Everyone points their antennas north. Last night the bands were nearly dead so it wasn't even a good radio event this time.

-----

Tom

K7WV

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

I took a quick look or two but saw nothing. Spent some time in Alaska and saw them there before, but the absolute best!! I've seen was some years ago on the way to Bellingham at night on I-5. The sky was flashing. I pulled over to figure out what it was. It was the northern lights. Looked at them for awhile and went on up for a short visit with the inlaws. On the way back to Seattle they were still flashing. I pulled over just before Lake Samish in a dark spot and the sky was going NUTS! It was like watching the surface of the water from the bottom of the bowl. It was sloshing about like crazy. You'd see a wave come from over the hill and crest directly above me in a grand crescendo of light! A couple more sloshs, another wave, another crescendo right above my head. Man, it was really something. Thing I couldn't firgure out was I never heard anything in the news about it. (I did point it out to the in-laws, they saw some of it too, so I'm not crazy). Next to seeing a total eclipse of the sun once, this was the next most spectacular thing I've seen.

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

I really want to see NL one of these days! That's really cool that you've got to see them.

Cool Cindy!

You look very happy in the posted pic and wow what a site you lucky girl.

Now it's time for you to get on home.

I just posted my new cache (thanks M10B for the idea) it's a 1/1 and it's name is "SuperGenius #14 - Bandana Backpack". icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Cool Cindy!

You look very happy in the posted pic and wow what a site you lucky girl.

Now it's time for you to get on home.

I just posted my new cache (thanks M10B for the idea) it's a 1/1 and it's name is "SuperGenius #14 - Bandana Backpack". icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

I put one out too...Swamp Creek II which replaces the old Swamp Creek Cache. Still waiting approval as I had to email MTB the final coords for approval. I'm on your tomorrow hopefully.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

I put one out too...Swamp Creek II which replaces the old Swamp Creek Cache. Still waiting approval as I had to email MTB the final coords for approval. I'm on your tomorrow hopefully.

Today must be the day for planting, not harvesting! icon_smile.gif I too planted a cache today, nothing fancy, just your typical 1/1 micro but it's mine icon_biggrin.gif

Ferguson Park / Blackman Lake.

Snohomish has been screaming for a cache!

Thanks to Team Misguided, it was approved before I was finished putting the finishing touches on the description icon_smile.gif

Cin,

Your photos mades my heart long for the high country. As we discussed, I grew up in Cheyenne and spent a lot of time in the Snowy Range. I can almost pick out some of the rock routes that I climbed up the face of the Diamond on Medicine Bow Peak. Enjoy the homeland!

If you see me spiraling inward; all is well. If I am spiraling outward; offer assistance.

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Just a heads up of a monster solar flare that should be hitting Earth about noon on Wednesday that makes last week's flares look like solar sneezes.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/984388.asp?0cv=CB20

Cheers!

TL

Darn it..... I didn't get to see any Aurora's from last weeks storm, and now the storm clouds have moved in so...... icon_frown.gif

quote:

Just a heads up of a monster solar flare that should be hitting Earth about noon on Wednesday that makes last week's flares look like solar sneezes.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/984388.asp?0cv=CB20

Cheers!

TL

This one is generating alot of excitement on the ham radio 6-meter band forums. 6 meters could be spectacular tomorrow even if clouds obscure the Northern Lights. This CME is some 10 times larger than last weeks and it's headed directly for Earth!

-----

Tom

K7WV

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

that makes last week's flares look like solar sneezes.

So this one is going to be more like a nasty fart? ohh.gif

Now think of the destructive power of that blast... icon_eek.gif Kinda puts it in perspective eh?

This is rated the third largest in recorded history of these kinds of events. If you haven't read the history of the largest one known to have hit Earth in recent times, go here.

Cheers!

TL

Do you think this has any thing to do with my wireless net not working icon_frown.gif, or do I need to face reality and buy a new access point?

My son came home from school today saying hea MOM were not gonna have internet for a while because of the Solar Flairs. Dad's the only one with internet. I say well son do it the old fashion way and plug in! He says ahhh!!! good idea. icon_eek.gif

Pepper

I'll give you an answer, but I have to qualify it by quantifying that we really don't know how much disruption we'll actually see. It is possible that your wireless is being interfered with by the solar activity. We haven't seen this type of activity since 1989 and the technology was much more basic then. But your wireless connection could just as easily be interfered with by a phone system on the same frequency within the vicinity by as much as 1/2 block away. I have seen my cellular phone cut out on me twice today. Now, that could have just been me pushing too many buttons too fast, or I had outside interference. Watch for common symptoms across the board. Then you can attribute such problems to the solar events.

Cheers!

TL

Thank you all for the kind words. For number 500 I did "One Foot in the Grave" which seemed appropriate, over in Wennachee. Nice spot. When I first began Mou10Bike had somewher aroun 15 or 20 cache finds. Well, as you can tell, some of us go a bit slower than others, but that's fine with me. I've enjoyed most of my finds. Some where very special, like "All Ocean View" or "Nest Egg", (both gone now)(I list some others on my profile), and I always love doing a good hide. Thanks for the recognition.

On the topic of the flare, yeah it sound big. Good chance for lights if it wasn't for these clouds. Also a chance of knocking out some GPS sats. icon_eek.gif They say it isn't big enough to knock us out and bring the dinosaurs back, but you never know icon_rolleyes.gif

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

S 5

Extreme

Biological: unavoidable high radiation hazard to astronauts on EVA (extra-vehicular activity); high radiation exposure to passengers and crew in commercial jets at high latitudes (approximately 100 chest x-rays) is possible.

Satellite operations: satellites may be rendered useless, memory impacts can cause loss of control, may cause serious noise in image data, star-trackers may be unable to locate sources; permanent damage to solar panels possible.

Other systems: complete blackout of HF (high frequency) communications possible through the polar regions, and position errors make navigation operations extremely difficult.

[This message was edited by EraSeek on October 28, 2003 at 08:23 PM.]

Whoop Tee Doo!

A party! Oh EraSeek..... 500! You go guy!

A little confusion here... what on earth are you talking about honey?

An S 5? Oh dear, that sounds like a little pick-up truck to me.

'Extra-Vehicular-Activity'? Ooooh, now that's a thing I can relate too. I remember driving down the 405 and some handsome dude stopped me for exceeding the Extra-Vehicular-Activtiy in my sweet little Jaguar. Can you say $250.00? Hah!

'Image Data'? Oh, I'll never tell.

'Blackout'? 'Blackout'? Your just pushin my buttons. How on earth can a girl find 'MATCHING' shoes in a blackout?

Oh Goodness! Gimme a break. See ya at the party hun!

Oh dear, where are those kissy faces???? Did they all turn into frogs?

XXOO

MGTS

Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she'll conquer the world! ~Marilyn Monroe

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

Okay... I can't get out of the forums!

Slowly step away from the keyboard... Breathe in deep and let it out slowly. icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

TL

Thanks Totem Lake!

That long breath helped! When I opened my eyes the TONS of duplicate posts dissappeared!!!! icon_eek.gif

Thanks to whoever fixed my little problem!

quote:
Originally posted by Wienerdog:

That long breath helped! When I opened my eyes the TONS of duplicate posts dissappeared!!!! icon_eek.gif

Thanks to whoever fixed my little problem!

I was wondering what the deep breath was all about. icon_smile.gif

You know, that happened to me about a week ago. I posted something that appeared twice, then I went in to edit the one (to say "duplicate") and it didn't edit...it posted two more messages! There must be a bug in the software somewhere. At least they seemed to take care of the problem quickly.

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

I was wondering what the deep breath was all about. icon_smile.gif

You know, that happened to me about a week ago. I posted something that appeared twice, then I went in to edit the one (to say "duplicate") and it didn't edit...it posted two more messages! There must be a bug in the software somewhere. At least they seemed to take care of the problem quickly.

Cin

Yes, that is what was happening! I thought I was loosing the REST of my mind. icon_frown.gif

Like you said Cin, they fixed it rather quickly.

Thankgoodness.

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Click on "planatary K-idex plot" and take a look at how the chart has peaked:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/nav/gps.html

_"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington_

This is a huge one and is having widespread effects. The 6-meter amateur radio band is wide open to Hawaii right now! Nobody expected that..totally unheard of at this point in the sunspot cycle!

-----

Tom

K7WV