Ahh... Let it snow...

mr.magoo

Woke up early this morning (5:45) and we already had a lite dusting of snow on the ground. Strapped on the snowshoes and went off to geocache. Found 4 to start the morning. Each a bit harder as the snow was getting thicker and deeper. Was worried about the GPS reception but as long as i was patient, it always led me true.

Couldn't find the 5th this morning though. (Mohawk-1) the spot seemed to be an obvious one, but the hidey hole was bare. Anyway, I must say, snow hunting is a bit harder, but the woods were magnificent! So quiet and peaceful and quite beautiful to behold. Going home now to warm up.

quote:
Originally posted by Mxyzptlk:

Can You Tell Where I Searched?

From the picture I posted in my log??

Egads; use some sense, man. That log and photo are nothing to be proud of.

I followed your path directly from parking to the cache at "Deeper into Bat Country" this morning. I didn't even need to power up the GPS.

I know it is practically impossible to cover one's tracks through newly fallen snow, but the considerate geocacher would make at least a minimal effort to conceal their route and efforts.

quote:
Egads; use some sense, man. That log and photo are nothing to be proud of.

Never said I was proud of it. If you read the log, you will see that all of the searching occured away from the actual cache location (coordinates were a little off). I was goofing on myself by posting the picture. As for the Deeper into Bat Cave, there were a lot more tracks than the one directly to the cache. I should know because I didn't go directly to the cache. I also think trying to cover up tracks is ridiculous. How do you cover the tracks you are making covering your previous tracks? Normally there will be so many tracks you really couldn't follow just one. One exception for me was the Chipmonk's house. My tracks went right to the cache. I actually made more tracks around the area so the 'actual' tracks were less likely to be found.

Considering if there were only one set of tracks going to a cache, do you think you would have more difficulty finding the cache without them? Someone found it on their first shot, why wouldn't you?

I don't think disturbing snow in an attempt to find a cache is that much if a sin. If you are searching in the snow, you're going to have to push a lot of it around. Being familiar with the cache Mxyzptlk was looking for, I don't see how he could have found it without poking around the snow. I guess someone could make tracks away from the cache to throw someobody off, but generally, you're going to have to move snow if you want to find a snow covered cache.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Thanks for that vote of confidence Brian. I thought it might be enjoyable for other people to see how much I struggled with this one. As you know from the picture I wasn't even pushing the snow around in the right location. icon_wink.gif Depending on the cache, the snow makes it much more difficult especially if you think there are many hiding places covered up by the white stuff.

Digging for snow brought back of some childhood memories. I can't even remember the last time I was in the snow like that. Pure fun!

[This message was edited by Mxyzptlk on December 08, 2002 at 07:05 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy With Wife (www):

Had a problem with winter caching. We found one after less than a five minute search yesterday. It as an ammo case frozen into a cramped corner. Took 15 or 20 minutes to remove it. (We loved every minute of it.)

In the last weekend, I too found two caches that were frozen in place but fortunately, neither one required much effort to extricate. The one that I expected to be stuck firmly in ice wasn't because the cache owner relocated it out of the pool of water before the big freeze.

I'm always happy when I see more precipitation coming after a hunt or find. Though I have to admit my snow hunting skills are not what they need to be around here. I finally found one today after the last two unsuccessful hunts.... I needed that. It was getting pretty discouraging...but it sure is nice hiking in the snow covered woods.

I found a cache today in the snow. I had no choice but to root around in the snow. When I left the area, it was obvious that someone was up to something there, but I doubt I "compromised" the cache.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I'm new to this game and don't cache when there is snow on the ground. There are plenty caches that I'm dying to try. I don't want to compromise(sp?) the location or have the owner PO'd 'cause I made tracks to the location. There are plenty of benchmarks to hunt in the mean time.....most of which are in public places right under the public's nose. My first find, on the way to the coordinates it did begin to snow and I thought of abandoning it but after a long pack, I found the cache then covered my tracks with a pine bough. There was only a dusting. This is a great game and I try to be considerate to fellow cachers and cache owners.

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"......................Are the Soprano's on yet?

I'm in the higher elevations of NJ, but we received only rain. The Catskills however received a foot of snow. I'd imagine Harriman got something in between. But the warmer weather today and tomorrow should melt most of it.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln