How Do I View Unpublished Geocaches?

The GeoSpy

Your unpublished geocaches are listed at the top of your private profile page.

You can't see other people's unpublished geocaches.

You can share the content of your unpublished geocaches with others, and they can share the content of their unpublished geocaches with you, but you can't share the actual listings until they are published. One easy way to share the content of an unpublished geocache with someone else is to print the unpublished listing, but then save it as a PDF instead of actually printing it. You can then send the PDF to whomever you want.

Edited by niraD

Does anyone know a way to view geocaches before they are published? Please post your answers and suggestions below. Feel free to post here as many times as you want, but please stay on topic! Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Unless it is your cache listing or you are a Reviewer or GS lackey (or maybe a super-hacker) you can't.

You can share the content of your unpublished geocaches with others, and they can share the content of their unpublished geocaches with you, but you can't share the actual listings until they are published. One easy way to share the content of an unpublished geocache with someone else is to print the unpublished listing, but then save it as a PDF instead of actually printing it. You can then send the PDF to whomever you want.

I'm asking about a way to view other people's unpublished geocaches.

That's kinda the point of them belong unpunished, they're not ready for you to look at.

The answer was right there. Can you see it now?

B.

You can view unpublished listings via a link provided by the cache owner, as noted above.

To view unpublished caches, you must find them wherever they are hidden. I have found some this way..... but it wasn't anything but good fortune.

Here's an interesting twist.

A geocache has recently been published that acknowledges that there have been bugs that allow people to view unpublished caches, and uses (at least) one of these bugs in the attached puzzle. This indicates that the cache owner(s) are deliberately trying to exploit this bug in reverse. Then, is the consensus on sharing information about these bugs the same as it was before?

I note at this point that:

a - the cache listing in question explicitly and specifically discourages hacking of all kinds,

b - I'm already in the process of trying to solve the puzzle through other means, and

c - I am in no way trying to get this cache shut down, and nor should it be (given that it's been published, a reviewer has obviously decided that it's acceptable).

Edited by CJ-Curry

The GC code isn't really that relevant. I'm mostly asking because if (wlog) I do happen upon a solution to this puzzle, I want to know if I can share the information in order to help others in solving said puzzle, especially given that it's a D4.5.

EDIT: I've found another, similar puzzle that's been in play for two years. so it's obviously not a new thing.

Edited by CJ-Curry

The GC code isn't really that relevant. I'm mostly asking because if (wlog) I do happen upon a solution to this puzzle, I want to know if I can share the information in order to help others in solving said puzzle, especially given that it's a D4.5.

EDIT: I've found another, similar puzzle that's been in play for two years. so it's obviously not a new thing.

Providing that it's consistent with the following portion of the TOU:

Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.

Some cache owners are fine with sharing information privately, others not so much. I would never post a spoiler/solution online ANYWHERE.

CJ-Curry, " geocache has recently been published that acknowledges that there have been bugs that allow people to view unpublished caches, and.."

It didn't take long to find the listing or for my player account to solve for it.

the solution does NOT involve being able to "view unpublished caches", though I would say it involves exploiting a bit of site bug(s).

You can view unpublished listings via a link provided by the cache owner, as noted above.

Nope. If a cache is unpublished, the link from the owner won't matter. Unless it is YOUR account or a reviewer/employee account, having the link will only bring up "This cache cannot be viewed" or something like that.

The GC code isn't really that relevant. I'm mostly asking because if I do happen upon a solution to this puzzle, I want to know if I can share the information in order to help others in solving said puzzle, especially given that it's a D4.5.

As others have said - this would be a violation of the Terms of Use.

I stand partially corrected. You can view limited information from a certain link, but not all of the information. You certainly won't see cache details of the page, but rather this:

26122dfb-78bb-417a-a2d8-103612ebcb99.jpg

Edited by Markwell

I am wondering why you would want to see other peoples unpublished caches....since they (presumably) are not ready for publication, and there is no telling WHEN they will be published...why would you want to see them?

The OP probably had a Listing rejected because of a nearby Unpublished Listing. They probably just want to be able to know where to relocate their cache so that it meets the spirit of the Guidelines.

I am wondering why you would want to see other peoples unpublished caches....since they (presumably) are not ready for publication, and there is no telling WHEN they will be published...why would you want to see them?

The OP probably had a Listing rejected because of a nearby Unpublished Listing. They probably just want to be able to know where to relocate their cache so that it meets the spirit of the Guidelines.

Getting ready to be FTF??!

I have a bunch of unpublished eventcaches in my GSAK database. They were loaded from a PQ <hen they got published, they have several "will attend" logs but now they will not refresh anymore. I guess they were published in error or for some reason the listings were retracted. (Cache unpublished error). I would think that cancelling the events would be done by archiving them instead of retracting.

I would think that cancelling the events would be done by archiving them instead of retracting.

Correct. If an event was simply cancelled, the listing would be archived. If it was retracted (putting it in the "unpublished" state), then that's an indication that it should never have been published in the first place. The owner probably violated a guideline and it slipped by the reviewer, or the reviewer hit the wrong button and accidentally published it.

And again - don't share your solutions to the puzzles with any online site...

Heh... if I didn't provide a geochecker, some of my puzzles wouldn't ever be found.

Terms of use:

Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.

Since you're the owner, it's not a problem.