Traveling cache at an event

There's a great old traveling cache: Stop & Go Go Go #3 (GCCCC7) that a bunch of people just logged at an event. To me this isn't a find. Someone found it, brought it to the event, and then others logged it. Go ahead and accuse me of taking this too seriously, but finding this type of cache in the wild is a real find and often difficult - almost like a FTF. Someone holding on to it for many days just to bring it to an event violates the spirit of the cache, and it is a joke that people log this as a find.

Find it, move it, log it in less than 24 hours. (Yes, I know there's an exception).

Let everyone have their shot at it.

-Lost

I've heard of traveling caches being passed around as pocket caches at events. I agree that that doesn't meet the spirit of finding a cache. But I've never actually seen it in practice.

What I have seen happen at an event is that someone will say that there's a cache "over there". So people go "over there" (either using coordinates or using a landmark) and find the cache. In some cases, it's a traditional cache located near the event venue. In some cases, it's a traveling cache that has been (temporarily) placed near the event venue. In some cases, it's a cache that hasn't been published yet. In some cases, it could even be a temporary cache that will never be listed, but I've never actually seen that in practice either.

Sometimes the nature of the cache "over there" is explained clearly. Sometimes, it isn't. Finding a traveling cache this way may not meet the spirit of a traveling cache, but it does meet the spirit of finding a geocache.

There's a great old traveling cache: Stop & Go Go Go #3 (GCCCC7) that a bunch of people just logged at an event. To me this isn't a find. Someone found it, brought it to the event, and then others logged it.

It travels. It traveled to an event. People found it at the event. People logged it as a Find. It will travel again. Not sure I see much of an issue.

Go ahead and accuse me of taking this too seriously, but finding this type of cache in the wild is a real find and often difficult - almost like a FTF. Someone holding on to it for many days just to bring it to an event violates the spirit of the cache, and it is a joke that people log this as a find.

I think you are taking this too seriously. Clearly those people who found it at the event feel it meets their criteria for a Find. If the logs are allowed to stand then the cache owner says it meets his/her criteria for a Find. If the cachers and the owner both agree it's a Find, I'm not sure why it upsets you so much.

Let everyone have their shot at it.

Everyone will get a shot at it when it moves somewhere else after the event, right?

Sometimes it's worth worrying about what other people do -- I don't think this is one of them.

Everyone will get a shot at it when it moves somewhere else after the event, right?

Sometimes it's worth worrying about what other people do -- I don't think this is one of them.

Perhaps not. The last log indicates someone is going to hold on to it to take to other events and then to Florida in a couple of *months*. If I lived in the area and wanted a shot at this I'd be upset that someone is holding on to it . The cache instructions state it is to be placed within 24 hours (yes there is an exception). Back when I was active I found this in the wild 2 or 3 times. It's difficult because so many people are trying to get it. Now it is either impossible because someone holds it hostage, or easy because it is at an event.

Not at all the original intent.

Perhaps not. The last log indicates someone is going to hold on to it to take to other events and then to Florida in a couple of *months*. If I lived in the area and wanted a shot at this I'd be upset that someone is holding on to it . The cache instructions state it is to be placed within 24 hours (yes there is an exception). Back when I was active I found this in the wild 2 or 3 times. It's difficult because so many people are trying to get it. Now it is either impossible because someone holds it hostage, or easy because it is at an event.

It will probably get Archived then. Most likely sooner rather than later now that there's a Forum Thread ;)

The last log indicates someone is going to hold on to it to take to other events and then to Florida in a couple of *months*.

That sounds like a "pocket cache." This listing service archives pocket caches.

There are a limited number of grandfathered "traveling caches" left. It's up to the community, and how they deal with those caches, that will determine the caches' survival. If they are hidden and re-hidden by succeeding finders, rather than being passed around at events like one more trackable on a discovery list, the remaining traveling caches can have long and happy lives.

It seems like this cache has been to many events. The owner is the only one who can determine the "spirit" of the cache.

Perhaps. But that doesn't mean Groundspeak won't archive the cache if they feel it doesn't meet the "spirit" of geocaching.

Webcam caches have been archived when owners continued to accept "selfie" photos instead of webcam photos, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

Missing traditional caches have been archived when owners continued to accept photos of GZ, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

Virtual caches have been archived when owners continued to allow armchair finds, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

And pocket caches have been archived when owners allowed their logs to be signed at events, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

I found this one "in the wild" back in 2005. It was a challenge to nab it before anyone else. I think carrying it to an event to pass it around is uncouth. But, some cachers will do anything for another smiley, like hide a bunch of caches around town under a sock puppet account to log them with their real account. <_< Let them do what they want to do. I wouldn't log it at an event.

Similar topic, there is a cacher that I know of that has had in his possession a YJTB (that's not his own) for 8 or 9 years that he brings to events so people can "discover" it.

The last log indicates someone is going to hold on to it to take to other events and then to Florida in a couple of *months*.

That sounds like a "pocket cache." This listing service archives pocket caches.

There are a limited number of grandfathered "traveling caches" left. It's up to the community, and how they deal with those caches, that will determine the caches' survival. If they are hidden and re-hidden by succeeding finders, rather than being passed around at events like one more trackable on a discovery list, the remaining traveling caches can have long and happy lives.

Or turned into a Travel Bug?

On the cache page...

"THIS IS NOW ALSO A T-BUG SO WE CAN KEEP TRACK OF WHERE IT GOES. This cache can move so fast we can not keep up some times . IF SOMEONE GETS THE CACHE BEFORE YOU DROP THE BUG,THAT'S OK JUST DROP HIM IN THE NEW SPOT. THIS IS ALL AN EXPERIMENT AND COULD GET A LITTLE CRAZY ! THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE

The bug # is inside the cache

↑ Hmmm, it's regrettable that the fate of the cache is outside the CO's control. Bordering on unfair! <_<

I don't see it that way.

The CO has had plenty of opportunity to log a note, requesting it to abide by the rules.

The few notes are from others.

And who exactly would read the note? And of those few rare birds, who exactly would follow the note? :o

Remember, the powerbrokers remark almost daily how tough it is herding cats! :huh:

But, some cachers will do anything for another smiley, like hide a bunch of caches around town under a sock puppet account to log them with their real account.

Really? All that work saves time?? I'm sure it happened once somewhere, but to say this is a rampant practice would lead me to call it a rumor about an urban legend.

↑ Hmmm, it's regrettable that the fate of the cache is outside the CO's control. Bordering on unfair! <_<

I don't see it that way.

The CO has had plenty of opportunity to log a note, requesting it to abide by the rules.

And who exactly would read the note? And of those few rare birds, who exactly would follow the note? :o

Remember, the powerbrokers remark almost daily how tough it is herding cats! :huh:

You rely on the notes (and the CO changing coords) to find the new placement.

- Anyone wishing to find this cache would need to keep track - and (it seems) wait for it to show at another event.

I don't see it that way.

- Anyone wishing to find this cache would need to keep track - and (it seems) wait for it to show at another event.

The few that came through our area we put on the watchlist, meaning we received an email on every log.

I think we managed to find and move two.

I don't see it that way.

Ok, true - finding it is different than other items. Of course someone gung-ho to spot the target is likely to note the location and fire up the cachemobile, rather than studying "trivia" about their quest over coffee.

Edited by wmpastor

Hmmm. I think I'll start allowing anybody to log thousands of armchair finds on all my caches. And it would be so unfair if Groundspeak didn't allow me to have this type of control over my caches.

You have all the control over your cache, if you want to accept armchair logs you can, however GS has the right to choose not to list your cache but there are other options.

I don't see it that way.

I would think it's the CO's responsibility to remind people who take their cache along that they should not be doing that. Might be a maintenance rule for those few traveling or otherwise grandfathered caches out there. If you want to have a special cache you should do the extra bit of effort to keep it alive.

Doesn't come up much, as there are so few of these things left, but not the original intent of the cache type. HOWEVER, I could, but never would, name one placed in July 2002, that has never been used as anything but a pocket cache that moves around to events. In this particular case, it is the original intent!! Has 69 favorite points, and most logs (all from people having it handed to them, of course) talk about how great it is to find a Grandfathered cache type that isn't allowed any more.

So you can certainly see where people get the impression it's OK to do this. My example can't possibly be the only one.

There always some kind of drama behind traveling caches. Wish GS just ban them all and get it over with.

What, & take away the drama we all thrive on (including those who dislike drama, or claim to)????? :o

I have a problem with those who make too big a deal out of the legalisms of a non-competitive sport. Why are (sorry, gotta say it, it's 100% accurate & is the best shorthand description) the Cache Police losing sleep over innocent fun that's not the end or the world or of caching?

There always some kind of drama behind traveling caches. Wish GS just ban them all and get it over with.

What, & take away the drama we all thrive on (including those who dislike drama, or claim to)????? :o

I have a problem with those who make too big a deal out of the legalisms of a non-competitive sport. Why are (sorry, gotta say it, it's 100% accurate & is the best shorthand description) the Cache Police losing sleep over innocent fun that's not the end or the world or of caching?

Eh, maybe in this case. I've given an example of one that has ALWAYS been used as a pocket cache. And this practice with moving caches is allowed on other websites, and I have done it there.

I don't know where it is, but somewhere there's a line between innocent fun, and abuse of the website. Like European cachers armchair logging virual's in the U.S. Just for an example of something I think *is* over the line.

I don't know where it is, but somewhere there's a line between innocent fun, and abuse of the website. Like European cachers armchair logging virual's in the U.S. Just for an example of something I think *is* over the line.

If a travelling cache shows up at an event it is innocent fun. It is not about the numbers but more the excitement and fun of seeing one of these grandfathered caches. I have been at events where the participants were surprised and excited when a travelling cache made a surprise visit. I have been at an event where the visit was announced in advance and 50 smiling cachers lined up to go through the cache contents and sign the log. At one event, a cacher drove 2 hours to the event, spent about 15 minutes with the cache and then left for home.

If you are really into this hobby, you sometimes like to do things or participate in things that are a little different. I know there are rules, but it isnt the law and we like to enjoy our hobby and have a little fun. It is just fun. I know of another situation where things are for fun and not quite by the rules, but I will start another thread so as not to get off topic.

It seems like this cache has been to many events. The owner is the only one who can determine the "spirit" of the cache.

Perhaps. But that doesn't mean Groundspeak won't archive the cache if they feel it doesn't meet the "spirit" of geocaching.

Webcam caches have been archived when owners continued to accept "selfie" photos instead of webcam photos, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

Missing traditional caches have been archived when owners continued to accept photos of GZ, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

Virtual caches have been archived when owners continued to allow armchair finds, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

And pocket caches have been archived when owners allowed their logs to be signed at events, even when those owners felt this was in the spirit of the cache.

Still, it's the owner's business.

I agree. Some things are simply pointless and other things are pointless and abusing the site. Like you, I don't know where the line is exactly but I can certainly take any situation and tell you which side of the line it falls on.

But, some cachers will do anything for another smiley, like hide a bunch of caches around town under a sock puppet account to log them with their real account.

Really? All that work saves time?? I'm sure it happened once somewhere, but to say this is a rampant practice would lead me to call it a rumor about an urban legend.

I didn't say it was a rampant practice. I am saying I have seen it happen before. I guess I could word it slightly different...

But, some cachers will do anything for another smiley, like hide a bunch of caches around town under a sock puppet account to and then later log them with their real account.

I feel similarly about a large group of people finding a traditional geocache.

My feelings are: that is how some people play and enjoy this game.

Neither would be a "find" I would be prone to participate in, as it goes against my hermitlike nature. Neither activity stops me from finding the cache. Both make it difficult or uncomfortable for me and I choose to do the caches at some other time.

It doesn't steal the chickens from my yard, and it makes some people happy. My stance on this is apathy.