speaking thread

Maybe the family wished OldTimeGeocacher to remove the containers? Nothing you've written here would make me think the family were giving permission for a free-for-all.

I disagree entirely with your fanciful assumptions in this topic and stating them here is certainly not fair to etarace.

If the family archived all those caches 6 to 12 months ago with no requests for containers to be collected or returned and they did not remove or have them removed then it is quite clear that they are done with them. That the friends of the deceased and other locals did not collect the container indicates the same.

I never knew the CO. I am not a Real Geocacher in the prevailing opinion of my community. If I had taken over the caches there would be a sense of "who the #%&* does this etarace person think he is? he never even knew CO!

If only 30 to 90 days had gone by then it could be a bit dicey but after a year someone needs to do what you have done and there has been plenty of time for the local cachers, friends or not, old-timers or not, to take care of it. Don't be too quick to devalue your worth to the local cache community or to this game.

Perhaps understandable. They might be thinking the same thing about the fact you've helped yourself to the containers without the family's permission.

Not quite believable to me that the locals would think this after a year. After all this time it might be possible that friends of the deceased might have a negative emotional response but it would not be fair to etarace if they did.

It would seem a little like stealing.

Yes. It might.

This is absurd and totally unfair.

We are a self-policing group when it comes to abandoned caches and we need to be because there is no one else to do it. Years ago there were topics in local forums where abandoned caches could be listed so folks would go out and get them.

Thank you etarace for this service you have provided. It looks like you are enjoying geocaching and I hope the unwarranted negative comments here don't leave you feeling badly about the game.

One day I saw the comment from OldTimeGeocacher to the effect of "found this one today and removed the container as I know the family and this is their wishes" ... This, in addition to the fact that the caches are now "litter" played into my choice to collect them.

Maybe the family wished OldTimeGeocacher to remove the containers? Nothing you've written here would make me think the family were giving permission for a free-for-all.

The exact log comment by OldTimeCacher is "Found this one and removed it since the CO has passed away and the family wants it gone."

Nothing she has written or done in the 15 months since the death of the CO would lead me to believe she was personally responsible for collecting and bronzing the cache containers. If so, I'm leaving comments on the caches I collect. OldTimeCacher is free to contact me. I will willingly hand over the caches.

I never knew the CO. I am not a Real Geocacher in the prevailing opinion of my community. If I had taken over the caches there would be a sense of "who the #%&* does this etarace person think he is? he never even knew CO!

Perhaps understandable. They might be thinking the same thing about the fact you've helped yourself to the containers without the family's permission.

I highly doubt they have seen my dastardly deeds, despite them being in the open. If they choose to feel that way about my removal of abandoned geo-trash (not caches, as they are not active), then they can just rainbow* themselves. :)

*rainbow

I'll speak out (this is the speaking thread, right? And what happened to that OP who was probably like 10 years old? :lol:) to say that I don't think Team Mircodot is crazy. I too have some issues with what my fellow New Yorker etarace is doing. Basically, yes, I think you should have gotten permission from the family before removing the containers. First I would have tried the account's email address. Then if that didn't work, I'd start going out to the old-timers in the area to see if anyone know them. I actually don't personally know any "old-timers" in the Binghamton area (although I did know one, but he moved across the Country), but a Team Ferret comes to mind. It's very possible no one knew who they were, they never attended any Geocaching events. And we have a guy up here, for example, who has hidden about 50 caches that no one knows, and who has never attended an event. I'm babbling, but I think you should have gotten permission, or tried your darndest. Yes, I know they'd probably sit there forever and they'd never recover them, but there you go, my opinion.

We are a self-policing group when it comes to abandoned caches and we need to be because there is no one else to do it. Years ago there were topics in local forums where abandoned caches could be listed so folks would go out and get them.

Nope. Never agreed with such cache posse's, never will. Bottom line: They are not your containers to remove. Period. And there's always that line that Geocaching.com is not the only cache listing service, and they could be listed elsewhere also. Of course this isn't the case 99.8% of the time. And this is coming from someone who is involved with such a listing service. :ph34r:

Why do you think Geocaching.com stopped allowing involuntary adoption of caches deemed "abandoned"? I'd never find a quote, but I remember a Groundspeak Lackey saying that some of the nastiest correspondence they used to get was from the original owners of "abandoned" caches who found they no longer owned their own cache. The most famous case happening to the guy who invented the word Geocaching. And no, I'm not making that up, it really happened. :P

... then they can just rainbow* themselves. :)

*rainbow

I think you may have started a trend, at least with me... Rainbow A!

Why do you think Geocaching.com stopped allowing involuntary adoption of caches deemed "abandoned"? I'd never find a quote, but I remember a Groundspeak Lackey saying that some of the nastiest correspondence they used to get was from the original owners of "abandoned" caches who found they no longer owned their own cache. The most famous case happening to the guy who invented the word Geocaching. And no, I'm not making that up, it really happened. :P

These weren't "abandoned" caches, they were archived ones. If a cache is abandoned, it is still active. I've seen cachers abandon a hide, only to come back into caching years later and take back over maintaining a hide. I've also seen the hide degrade to the point of archival, but I digress...

I think it's safe to say that after 6 months or a year, the family of the departed has no interest in collecting the containers, essentially making them abandoned property, or in this case, trash, geo-litter, or whatever you want to call it. etarace is doing the caching community a service by removing the long archived containers. The fact that she will reuse the containers that she picked up as trash is immaterial.

Edited by Pork King

... then they can just rainbow* themselves. :)

*rainbow

I think you may have started a trend, at least with me... Rainbow A!

These weren't "abandoned" caches, they were archived ones. If a cache is abandoned, it is still active. I've seen cachers abandon a hide, only to come back into caching years later and take back over maintaining a hide. I've also seen the hide degrade to the point of archival, but I digress...

I think it's safe to say that after 6 months or a year, the family of the departed has no interest in collecting the containers, essentially making them abandoned property, or in this case, trash, geo-litter, or whatever you want to call it. etarace is doing the caching community a service by removing the long archived containers. The fact that she will reuse the containers that she picked up as trash is immaterial.

Yeah, I'm not taking a hardcore stance or anything, and they most certainly weren't going to pick them up. Heck, maybe they don't even know how to use a smartphone or a GPS, and don't even know where they are. My wife certainly doesn't know where my caches are. :lol: I still think permission should have been obtained though. Not a biggie, either way.

I'll speak out (this is the speaking thread, right? And what happened to that OP who was probably like 10 years old? :lol:)

He just commented on July 10th, and I look forward to him speaking again, as thus has solved all problems.

The rest of your post has caused me to think, reconsider perhaps.

What would be your stance on a "micro" placed by CO, CO died and family archived it. A year later CO2 places a micro very near (200 ft or less).

Would you remove the original micro? It could generate logs of bad coords/NM/NA on the CO2 cache page.

I just found my 999th cache today. I am going to (try to) find my 1000th cache on the 10th anniversary of finding my 1st cache, 07/24/14. 9 years ago, with nearly 500 finds, I was one of the more prolific cachers in the state. After the great "micro-spew" of the mid aughts, then power trails, cachers around me soared into the 1000s, then 10,000s of finds. I took a break for a year, came back, and continued caching the way I had always enjoyed it. Sure, I find lots of micros still, but I have never participated in a power run, or sought out a power trail. I plug along, a few caches at a time.

I have a special cache picked out for number 1000. It will probably take up a good portion of the day to get, with possibly one or 2 more in the area that can be reached on foot from there.

Not for the first time, it occurred to me that our hobby is a bit strange. We hide things in the forest for strangers to find. They find them and then write little notes about their experiences, which everyone, including us can read.

"I found your little plastic container with a slip of paper inside. It was alot of fun. Please hide more." :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I went looking for 2 caches with one of my friends and it was really hot and we could not find either one so we went to go find a Slurpee instead. Also 7-11 has loaded Doritos now that are like mozzarella sticks but with Doritos outside and cheddar inside. I think that fills my unhealthy foods quota for a while. :laughing:

I'll speak out (this is the speaking thread, right? And what happened to that OP who was probably like 10 years old? :lol:)

He just commented on July 10th, and I look forward to him speaking again, as thus has solved all problems.

The rest of your post has caused me to think, reconsider perhaps.

What would be your stance on a "micro" placed by CO, CO died and family archived it. A year later CO2 places a micro very near (200 ft or less).

Would you remove the original micro? It could generate logs of bad coords/NM/NA on the CO2 cache page.

Sorry, I forgot to look back here. Don't listen to me, keep em'. :lol:

Eh, 200 feet is pretty far, I doubt it would be stumbled on. Should it be removed? I dunno, I guess I already said it's my opinion to have the blessing of the family, but others obviously think otherwise.

I just got the email notification that one of my Geocoins (Proxy) had been placed in a cache, so I went to read about it on the coin page and found out that the person who had it for about 2 months posted 34 PAGES of "took it to" logs. I think that is more than just a bit excessive.

I went looking for 2 caches with one of my friends and it was really hot and we could not find either one so we went to go find a Slurpee instead. Also 7-11 has loaded Doritos now that are like mozzarella sticks but with Doritos outside and cheddar inside. I think that fills my unhealthy foods quota for a while. :laughing:

That's completely disgusting. We would never dream of eating such stuff. :ph34r:

I just got the email notification that one of my Geocoins (Proxy) had been placed in a cache, so I went to read about it on the coin page and found out that the person who had it for about 2 months posted 34 PAGES of "took it to" logs. I think that is more than just a bit excessive.

That is quite excessive. In the unlikely event that I have a TB, if I get stuck and didn't get to travel as I had planned, I will do some "took to" logs just to let the owner know "yeah, I have it... I know" before dropping it. If I happen to go to caches that I don't think are appropriate drop-sites.

I wonder if people put as much consideration into this as I do? I seriously fret over leaving TB's. I will watch the cache page afterwards. I actually emailed a guy who wrote a "found it" log that said something about taking "the cow TB" when he didn't log that he had taken it on the TB's page.

And it's not my TB. I've just held it and moved it along at one time.

Yeah, that gets tiresome. I prefer it to the TBs that have been taken, but still.

Had the same issue with several trackables and after a few weeks deleted the hundreds of (automatic) took it to logs, when it was clear no photos or anything would be added to the logs. This takes a lot of time by the way, since it is not possible to delete them easily, you have to open each one and press delete and yes confirm that you're sure...

Then I got an e-mail asking why I deleted those logs, since "the trackable had really been at all those caches" (this has happened more than once, can you imagine?!). None of the took it to logs had text, photos or whatsoever. The goal of these trackables wasn't to visit as many caches as possible or move large distances or anything like that.

So I e-mailed them back that it was not the trackables mission to collect empty took-it-to logs but to collect photos. Next to this it is no fun for us or other people who find and move the coin to read empty logs, it will not inspire others to post photos either. Of course I got no reply to this e-mail.

Edited by irisisleuk

Today I found a cache that was in the ground. It had previously been a DNF because I hadn't considered a hole in the ground. It's "legal" because it's from 2006. It was just harder for me than it should have been because I wasn't thinking of that as a possibility.

Today I found a cache that was in the ground. It had previously been a DNF because I hadn't considered a hole in the ground. It's "legal" because it's from 2006. It was just harder for me than it should have been because I wasn't thinking of that as a possibility.

If it's truly buried, and not a natural depression, no, that would pretty much be illegal since about 2001. :ph34r:

It's easier to understand the "never buried" guideline if you think of it as a "no digging" guideline.

A cache "in the ground" is fine, as long as it was placed in an existing hole, cave, hollow tree, enclosure, etc., or if the cache was merely covered with loose material like bark, leaves, rocks, branches, etc.

A cache "in the ground" violates the guidelines if the cache owner needed to "dig or create a hole in the ground" to hide the cache, or if seekers need to "dig or create a hole in the ground" to find the cache.

Enforcement of this guideline has tightened up over the years. The first geocache was a 5-gallon bucket half-buried in the ground, and some of the really old caches from the early years violate the current interpretation of this guideline too, and are grandfathered.

If it's truly buried, and not a natural depression, no, that would pretty much be illegal since about 2001. :ph34r:

It's that old? I'm no good at these "year they changed the rule about pointy objects touching the ground" thing.

It was in a suspiciously ammo-can shaped hole in the ground which was conveniently slightly deeper than ammo can depth.

There might have been a naturally occurring something-like-a-hole there (it was by tree roots) but the size and shape lead one to believe that the hole had some help. I'm pretty sure it is still okay to use a hole that is already there. Haven't the rules evolved to be more explicit about not changing the naturally-occurring-depression?

What I find weird is that a newer-than-me cacher logged it as "knew right where it was as soon as I was within 100 feet"... what?

I wonder if people put as much consideration into this as I do? I seriously fret over leaving TB's. I will watch the cache page afterwards. I actually emailed a guy who wrote a "found it" log that said something about taking "the cow TB" when he didn't log that he had taken it on the TB's page.

And it's not my TB. I've just held it and moved it along at one time.

Yes, I always watch a TB after I have dropped it until it gets picked up. I don't think I've contacted anyone about someone else's TB though (other than the owner).

I have a question, how come hardly anyone responds to emails from here?

Is there an easier way to contact fellow GCers or COs?

Emails through the site seem to work for me, for the most part, anyway.

Sometimes they just don't respond, though, either due to change of email or laziness or death.

Still waiting on a reply to the last email I sent... :rolleyes:

It's that old? I'm no good at these "year they changed the rule about pointy objects touching the ground" thing.

It was in a suspiciously ammo-can shaped hole in the ground which was conveniently slightly deeper than ammo can depth.

There might have been a naturally occurring something-like-a-hole there (it was by tree roots) but the size and shape lead one to believe that the hole had some help. I'm pretty sure it is still okay to use a hole that is already there. Haven't the rules evolved to be more explicit about not changing the naturally-occurring-depression?

What I find weird is that a newer-than-me cacher logged it as "knew right where it was as soon as I was within 100 feet"... what?

I did look it up, and saw that log you mention. niraD explains the guideline pretty well above this post. People pretty much aren't going to report an illegal cache, and there will be dozens or hundreds of finds, and even favorite points (although I see this cache has none). I know the first ever "buried" cache I found, complete with PVC pipe in the ground, was not reported by Mr.Yuck. :o But that was like 2007, is long since archived, and that guy (who was then a newbie) is long gone from Geocaching, although he is a prolific bar code sticker game playing guy now. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Personally, (and I might take some flack for this), I wouldn't report it. But digging a hole for an ammo can was most surely not allowed in 2006, no more than it is today. :)

Perhaps the CO hid the ammo can in a natural stump hole or depression, and over the years the hole got back-filled by natural means around the can? Occam's razor would suggest, however, that a hole was dug.

Today I found two caches that were very cool because they were both located at or near 19th century structures which I love to explore. Near the steps going to the foundation of an old building I saw this... what is this thing? 6f9b286e-0093-4a27-b7d2-2db8e052ab6e.jpg The photo isn't fantastic, but there are a bunch of leaves all clumped into a ball surrounded by silk like spider-web kind of stuff, but not like tent-worm/moth thickness. Weird. What is this thing?

Also, thank you Mr. Yuck, Pork King and niraD for the research on my buried treasure.

The soil which surrounded the can was black, not various-stages-of-decomposing-mulch. I'd wager to say that the "depression" it was in was at the very least "helped along" although I did believe it was a legal thing to do in 2006 (when I found it, and when I posted about it). Regardless, I'm not going to NA the cache, it's a nice walk and a cool cache. At this point I would have to get all insane-O scientific on it in order to say it was against the rules (who's to say it didn't sink in eight years?).

and there will be dozens or hundreds of finds, and even favorite points (although I see this cache has none).

The biggest fav points around here for some reason are for purchased style fake bolt in a parking lot things, rather than actual originality.

GC295HC drove me insane, I went back several times, and was so amazing. It wasn't in the wilderness but it was at least in a wooded area. When I finally found it I was like "wow, this hider is crafty!" Five miserable favorite points.

GC2R41F took me about 20 minutes, more due to "overthinking" because the page tells you repeatedly that it is a "NO BS 4-STAR DIFFICULTY" on the description and the logs. Twenty-five favorite points. Luckily the CO got a find on it too!

Fake bolt. With crappy coords.

It's hard for new people, but it is by no means original.

My area is messed up in the favorites points arena.

Edited by etarace

and there will be dozens or hundreds of finds, and even favorite points (although I see this cache has none).

The biggest fav points around here for some reason are for purchased style fake bolt in a parking lot things, rather than actual originality.

GC295HC drove me insane, I went back several times, and was so amazing. It wasn't in the wilderness but it was at least in a wooded area. When I finally found it I was like "wow, this hider is crafty!" Five miserable favorite points.

GC2R41F took me about 20 minutes, more due to "overthinking" because the page tells you repeatedly that it is a "NO BS 4-STAR DIFFICULTY" on the description and the logs. Twenty-five favorite points. Luckily the CO got a find on it too!

Man, who would have ever thought this "speaking thread" would turn out so good, and have 3 or more pages? :laughing:

Yeah, not a single favorite point on that cache. What's up with that?? Few people know this, but the favorites point system is copied verbatim from a mostly European network of alternative sites. I think the system works extremely well here, better than I ever imagined (and I can't remember when they implemented it, 2009 maybe??) Yes, pretty much any "clever" store bought container is going to rack them up. And I'm familiar with a hider who hides a lot of roadside park-n-grabs in novelty containers (say a collectable Darth Vader tin, with a cache name referencing Darth Vader, and maybe some cool graphics on the cache page), who racks them up. But I still think the system is excellent.

Surprised to hear it's "messed up" in your area. Then again, a lot of people never go back and award points to caches that pre-date the favorite points system, which that one does.

I think the "favorites" idea is waaay too subjective. My favorite type of cache (small-regular, 2-2.5 difficulty, 3.5-4.5 terrain, beautiful views/terrain) will vary wildly with other's favorite types. I think there should be an option to rate a cache like a product review on an online purchase (1-5 stars on originality, historical relevance/beauty of site, etc...)

Then again, a lot of people never go back and award points to caches that pre-date the favorite points system, which that one does.

I have done this... and I still have too many favorite points accumulating. 1 in 10 is not a favorite.

Edited by Pork King

My husband found a cache with me today, that always makes it a special day for me.

Also, we went out and got breakfast. I know a lot of people enjoy "going out to breakfast" as the number one restaurant meal. I am in the opposite camp. Since I do actually cook, most breakfast foods seem to me to be quick, easy and inexpensive. Why anyone would make a point of going "out" to breakfast is silly to me.

But today I did. I got eggs over medium, hashbrowns, and toast. I am perfectly capable of making these things. I own chickens, so I have eggs. Nevertheless it was really good, and my husband had pancakes with his breakfast and let me have some.

My husband found a cache with me today, that always makes it a special day for me.

Also, we went out and got breakfast. I know a lot of people enjoy "going out to breakfast" as the number one restaurant meal. I am in the opposite camp. Since I do actually cook, most breakfast foods seem to me to be quick, easy and inexpensive. Why anyone would make a point of going "out" to breakfast is silly to me.

But today I did. I got eggs over medium, hashbrowns, and toast. I am perfectly capable of making these things. I own chickens, so I have eggs. Nevertheless it was really good, and my husband had pancakes with his breakfast and let me have some.

Yeah, you can make it yourself, but it's much easier to have someone else do it for you. :D

Ok. It's geocache not geocatch. And that's what this whole forum is about- that's why it's called geocaching topics.

More common than you think. :)Try www.geocatching.com and see where you get redirected. In the last 2 months (that's as far back as you can see with a basic Google webmasters tool account) 1,373 people have typed Geocatching into Google. :ph34r:

I tried it & hoped to get redirected to someplace "interesting." :grin: That did not happen!

That's completely disgusting. We would never dream of eating such stuff. :ph34r:

Apparently Danny Caffeine would. And with some coffee (caffeine) to wash it down.

Yeah, you can make it yourself, but it's much easier to have someone else do it for you. :D

And there's something to be said for getting the day moving by getting out of the house, especially on weekends.

Man, who would have ever thought this "speaking thread" would turn out so good, and have 3 or more pages? :laughing:

Yeah, after the first few posts denigrating the idea, people really got into it. I like it as a place to say something that's not really worth starting a whole new thread for, yet I just want to throw out there; even if no one responds to it, that's ok.