Archived caches - a list anywhere?

Is there a list anywhere that tells you of archived caches in your area? The reason I ask is that I came up with a brilliant place to put a cache today, did it all, went to actually put it in place and whilst walking to GZ spotted an archived one hiding (albeit not very well) in the bushes. Now foolishly I didn't pick this up as I had no idea of the etiquette of removing someone one elses cache, but spoke to hubby who reckons I will have to go and remove it otherwise people will possibly find it thinking it is mine, which could get confusing. Had I known there had been one there before I would have checked the area first. So is there a list anywhere?

If a cache is archived it wont stop your cache from being published due to Proximity issues.

Things to watch out for are why the cache was archived.

If the previous cache kept getting muggled, it may not be a good area for your cache.

Only way to check is look at the profiles of the local cachers.

Or, ask your reviewer. If a cache had issues, such as landowner asked for a cache to be removed, or it kept getting muggled, I'm sure your reviewer will let you know.

Always good to practice CITO... ;)

Good Luck with your new cache!

You could just look up the cachers in the area , looking at their hides.

Any archived hides matching the coords would be on their profile.

- But how do you know it was archived, if you don't have that information?

What if it's a game piece to another site?

What condition was it in? Decent shape, could be someone in the planning stages of putting one (or maybe one of many) in your most brilliant place.

You could just look up the cachers in the area , looking at their hides.

Any archived hides matching the coords would be on their profile.

- But how do you know it was archived, if you don't have that information?

What if it's a game piece to another site?

What condition was it in? Decent shape, could be someone in the planning stages of putting one (or maybe one of many) in your most brilliant place.

Or the final to a multi or unknown...

First of all, be aware that geocaching.com is not the only listing site for geocaches. You need to research the fact that what you say is an "archived" cache truly is.... on ALL listing service sites. Picking such up willy-nilly could lead to bad karma should it be listed elsewhere.

Archived caches are not "searchable" as one would normally think of it.... for a number of reasons. One of the primary reasons is that if archived because of trespassing or lack of permission issues -- this prevents people like you and me going to look for them anyway -- yes it has happened in the past, and it would happen again. That is one that has caused many problems before.

There are ways to find archived cache locations, but it takes a little thinking outside of the box to do so. With that said, I say no further so as to not create a situation as noted above.

If you saw the cache, you should be able to find the cache ID#. That number will allow you to look at the listing. It also *should* allow you to see WHY it was archived. If because of trespass or permission issues, then your idea to place a cache there just may be all for naught.

Good luck.

Is there a list anywhere that tells you of archived caches in your area? The reason I ask is that I came up with a brilliant place to put a cache today, did it all, went to actually put it in place and whilst walking to GZ spotted an archived one hiding (albeit not very well) in the bushes. Now foolishly I didn't pick this up as I had no idea of the etiquette of removing someone one elses cache, but spoke to hubby who reckons I will have to go and remove it otherwise people will possibly find it thinking it is mine, which could get confusing. Had I known there had been one there before I would have checked the area first. So is there a list anywhere?

How do you know it's an archived cache? If it has any sort of identification, the cache name/GC code on it or the logbook, you can look it up. If you have the GC code, you can plug that in and you will find the listing, whether it's archived or not.

You must have the approximate coordinates, if you were thinking of placing a cache there. Pop those in and see what comes up.

Might be the final to a multicache or puzzle. Might be an active cache, where the finders or local critters left it out in the open.

I would do a lot more research before taking it away.

There is no list of archived caches. If you know the cache owner's name, or the names of folks who have logged it as "found", you can look at those lists. Archived caches aren't deleted, so they still appear in the lists of caches of the people who own them or have found them.

B.

Failing that you could email the co-ords to your reviewer and see if they can see.

We got a log on one of our caches once sounding very confused because they'd found a container at our cache which didn't match the description of ours. It turned out after a lot of investigation, and some confirmation from our friendly reviewer, to be an archived cache believed missing for about 3 years, still in situ. Which reminds me, the original CO never did reply to our email offering to return the container.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't remove it because I was confused as to what was going on - it wasn't showing up on my phone as a cache, as I have done all the ones in my area, and it hadn't been found for nearly a year (when they are usually found slightly more often than that in my area!). I then came home and checked by hiders name (that info was on the cache but not the GC code) and found that they have a huge number of archived ones, I think they must have just eased off. On many of their other ones they have stated that they have removed the cache, or if there was a reason for it being archived (access problems etc) that was on there, but no reason on this one and it is on a public footpath in the middle of nowhere. So I am certain it is archived, I just wondered if there were any way of finding out where others were, but now I know there isn't. Thanks!!

There are ways to find archived cache locations, but it takes a little thinking outside of the box to do so. With that said, I say no further so as to not create a situation as noted above.

So the correct answer is that reviewers can search archived caches, & wizards of backdoor methods can also.

Have you tried using project-gc.com? I was surprised at how easy it was to show all my nearby archived caches on a map. You can also save them as a gpx file. There is a step by step tutorial on youtube... h

I did not know that, and project-gc continues to amaze me!!

As I believe the 2nd poster said, we used to be able to get them on PQ's, and I'm going to say they even showed up on the cache maps. That functionality was taken away AT LEAST 5 years ago, and although we were told early on we would be able to search for them again somehow, you see what happened. :ph34r:

Can always ask an old time cacher who clears out that radius who uses GSAK. They can do a radius search from that location and all those old spots are there. I have not cached for any near as long as some, but have been to the same little park probably 4 or 5 times in some cases over the years. One goes bye bye and then another person puts one back in.