Possible a new world record ?

OZ2CPU

what part of this, did you not understand ? .

What's to understand? You spewed out over 2000 micro containers, in uninspired locations, with copy/paste cache pages, and a poorly developed maintenance plan, and you want a medal for dumping this testament to lameness on the world. Those who can tolerate mundania writ large will no doubt flood you with all the "TFTC"s you can stand. If we ever meet in person I'll give you a cookie.

Happy? <_<

Edited by Clan Riffster

what part of this, did you not understand ?

this thread is NOT a discussion about likes or dislikes, plenty of threads for that, please go there..

I understand your concern, but your (quite obvious) pride over this "accomplishment" is inevitably going to result in some commentary.

Why are you so concerned about whether it is a record or not? Is it going to be some kin of notch in your belt? Having a world record for something does not mean it is necessarily a good thing.

Just curious, why are they all mysteries?

Some might say the whole project is a mystery. :anibad:

However, I'm sure it's a world record.....for now. :ph34r: Right now, somewhere in a dim room in the USA, someone is strategizing about how to top this and bring America back into caching superiority.

:lol:

And it will begin in Ocala National Forest, FL. [;)]

>Will they be maintained?

YES !! at least that is the plan,

they are made by 26 different CO's along the rute, each live close to their part of the rute

AND each CO is carefully selected after their stats, low NM and quich maintanence,

and also we have defined a stop date.. so this project will not be a newer ending story..

They won't be around permanently? So, how long will they be in play? How to recycle all those remaining containers when the end of this story happens?

>Does that mean the lame American ways of doing a powertrail such as leapfrogging and container swapping is not acceptable ?

leapfrogging and container swapping is not acceptable !!

How are you going to enforce that? Are you going to personally check the logs?

I guarantee you that right now, there are some knuckleheads sitting down and discussing how to divide this trail up between them and sign the the team into each cache.

But, hey, congrats on the World Record.

Hi clan, you just reveal you did not read or understand anything about this project,

I will be happy to explain any serious questions phrased as such..

>in uninspired locations,

have you been there ?

caches are located along a route called:

http://www.naturstyrelsen.dk/Naturoplevelser/Beskrivelser/Margueritruten/

sorry the text is in danish, I suggest you use a translator

here is a short snip I translated..

Welcome to Marguerite!

Sit back and enjoy the ride ...

What is Marguerite?

Marguerite is an automobile route that shows you the way through the most beautiful places in Denmark.

Here you will find a gateway into the digital map,

where you can find the route and the cultural and natural sights around the country is located near Marguerite

------------------------

>with copy/paste cache pages,

intentionally done this way, since there is a technical limit of how large files can be in your GPS

and still work fast and smooth,

and we dont really expected people to read the cache pages

-------------------------

>and a poorly developed maintenance plan,

the caches are made of 26 CO's

they live alog their part of the rute, and they are specially selected as active CO's who actually care.

------------------

>All that litter in such a nice country- shame on you

when the project is done, all containers will be removed and collected.

Dont know where you are from, or just started geocaching ? or even just started looking a bit out the door ?

anywhere you go you find liter, and for every cache you can find, you find 1000 of kg liter,

caches are taken care of, people play with them, sounds like you have a problem with geocaching in general.

Geocachers actually COLLECT liter, try to goto a CITO, you see geocachers actually every year remove liter

other people throw in the nature, this way we as geocachers feel proud and fine about leaving a few geocaches in the nature,

we know where they are located, and we care about them.

------------------

>And the geo-trail damage and carbon emissions- what an unthoughtful environmental crime

People who geocache, will do it anyway,

more caches dont make more geocachers, and dont fool them to drive more or less, they might go this way one day,

so far they had 26000 other caches all over the contry to play with.

People who drive to and from work every day, drive millions more km every day,

so no matter how you try to put this, the extra CO2 is not going to be measurable not even in teory.

have you been there ?

caches are located along a route called:

http://www.naturstyrelsen.dk/Naturoplevelser/Beskrivelser/Margueritruten/

sorry the text is in danish, I suggest you use a translator

Ah, that explains why people managed to blindcache some before publication. Should have guessed that the caches were placed along this route. Not that it matters as I don't have a car to easily hop onto the trail... :rolleyes:

Mrs. Terratin

still no one able to tell if this is a world record ?

Your story reminds of the idea the organizers of the Project 2013 megaevent (took place in Thalheim near Wels in June 2013) in Austria had last year. They wanted to come up with 2013 allegedly high quality caches for the event that all should be published on the day of the event (but of course been hidden during the weeks or even months before the event). They also had planned to invove the Guinness World Record Book. After having received a lot of negative feedback, they decided not to follow the Guinness track and later it turned also out that due to the nature of the project not enough cachers joined in and so (fortunately from my point of view) they did not manage to come up with 2013 caches.

I'm not a fan of recording any sort of records associated with geocaching at all. Focussing on the number of caches published on a single day is however something particularly silly in my opinion. The caches have not been hidden on a single day and the process of publishing is just something formal.

Unlike what you wrote in another post I do believe that such a powertrail generates a considerable amount of extra traffic and will attract many cachers to the route or parts of the route that would not have visited it otherwise. I'm against such trails, but that's not the topic here. I do believe, however, that the issue whether or not it makes sense to strive for records like the one you ask is something that can and should be discussed here. Whenever someone comes up with something that is announced by a world record (or any form of record), others will try to break the record which in my opinion causes an unhealthy development for geocaching.

Cezanne

I'm not a fan of power trails and would not ever think about trying to ever complete one. Imo, they aren't what geocaching is about. However, if i was told i had to pick one to go for, this might be the one.

Reading from this thread, it sounds like it was well planned and may be likely to stand up over the long haul. The guideline to actually geocache (not leap frog, not swap containers) is something i go along with. The most imnportant thing in my opinion is that it has been placed along what sounds like scenic areas i'd actually like to visit.

As far as the "record" goes, i'd bet that this series was the most published at one time. But i have to ask,,, why is this important? Who cares?

Blah blah blah. I'm great! Blah blah blah. Look at me. Blah blah blah. I'm super awesome.

Dude. You created another power trail.

In a hobby that is fraught with power trails.

For what it's worth, using a copy/paste format does not save you any storage room in a GPSr. Not sure where you got that notion. You and your group used copy/paste for one of two reasons. Either, you were too lazy and lacking in creativity to come up with 2000+ unique cache names & write ups, or the locations were not unique enough to suggest different write ups. As for folks not reading the cache pages, since you opted for the non-creative route, why would they? You haven't given them anything worth reading.

If you are going to promote the myth that this power trail actually has a cache owner based maintenance plan, why did you include instructions on each cache page telling finders to do that work for you?

Taking something mundane, and repeating it ad nauseum, doesn't make it less mundane.

But you still get a cookie.

The OP has been here in the forums long enough to be aware that the subject of Power Trails has always been controversial. They are revered by many and are reviled by many. I have no scientific evidence to declare which group outweighs the other, although I have my own opinions on the subject.

For the OP to come here touting the "world record" and to not expect disparate views of the deed to be expressed here is either excessively naive or blatantly disingenuous.

Actually it is not a world record. Not even close to a world record. Not even in the same neighborhood of a worlds record. At approximately 84 caches per cache owner they haven't even started to scratch a busy afternoon for the owners of the ET or route 66 or any of the other 1000+ power trails. When you get one owner placing 2173 caches come back and toot your horn.

Very impressive... and I'm certain that you have the record for # of caches placed in one day (and likely the longest power trail in existence). Even though I'll likely never get there to do this I would like to thank all of you for your imagination and the work it took to creat this. I am in awe! :o

That's the thing...it took them over a year to plan and place these caches. It's not like they placed and published all these caches on the same day. So, I would say this is a record of nothing. Maybe the longest worked on and delayed P.T. EVER!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Oh, good idea. That makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion it would make more sense to devote the caches to places of interest and offer individual cache descriptions from which one can learn what can be seen/visited where. The trail as it is rather creates the impression that finding many caches is much more important than anything else.

In my opinion it would make more sense to devote the caches to places of interest and offer individual cache descriptions from which one can learn what can be seen/visited where. The trail as it is rather creates the impression that finding many caches is much more important than anything else.

But that wasn't the plan here. The plan was to dump a bunch of caches to create a P.T. for the record books. So finding many caches is the point here and nothing else is important. Just smilies...a bunch of smilies :D .

Those who embrace the power trail mentality cannot comprehend the notion of quality over quantity. I'm not knocking the value of impressive scenery. I love hiking in mountainous terrain. The view from the top, or along a ridge, can be breathtaking. I would love an ammo can, with an interesting write up, at a scenic mountain stop, even if it were a pull over along a drive. But if I were to hike 529' away from that spot, the scenery, whilst likely still stunning, would be the same. A second ammo can would just be a numbers booster. Now, imagine instead of an ammo can every few miles, highlighting the best spots with interesting write ups, someone were to spew out 2000+ micros, with copy/paste write ups, every 529'. The driver wouldn't get to enjoy the views, as they would be too busy accelerating and braking. The jump out guy would be too busy getting out, rushing to the cache, swapping out preforms and getting back in. The back seat support would be too busy signing logs and passing them to the jump out guy. What could've been an amazing trip through beautiful country, ending in a half dozen smileys, has been degraded by the virus of find count infatuation. The moral equivalent of a Walmart on every corner.

The only person deserving of a 'world record' would be the Reviewer, who published your year-long project in one day.

Likewise, "when the project is done, all containers will be removed and collected", the Reviewer will set another "World Record" - for archiving the largest number of caches in a single day.

>for archiving the largest number of caches in a single day.

I think each CO can easyly do that..

funny how people think their way is the best way :-)

Clearly it is possible to pump up your number fast and easy, and so what, if some do that ?

many other games is also possible, use your imagination and come up with new ways to take advantage of fast and easy caches,

make the game your game.. or play a game you like more, plenty of room for all kinds of games, and all kinds of fun.

you can also create caches the way you like them, and this way spread the word about your own ideas.. please do

Edited by OZ2CPU

funny how people think their way is the best way :-)

Actually this is something which fits better to the cache description of the DK power trail than to this discussion. Your message when writing that the DK power trail is the most serious caching project in Denmark and also the message when coming here and talking about a world record is a pretty arrogant one in my opinion,

You could have hidden this power trail without throwing around with lots of superlatives when announcing it.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

What could've been an amazing trip through beautiful country, ending in a half dozen smileys, has been degraded by the virus of find count infatuation. The moral equivalent of a Walmart on every corner.

+1

Yeah...you know, I'm usually quick to defend even the lowliest of caches, but I just don't buy into the whole "power trail" concept. It could be the most scenic and lovely drive, but who's enjoying that part when they are scanning the ground every 600 feet for a cache?

And I don't think a Walmart would physically fit on every corner. Maybe a Starbucks would be a better comparison...?

Well I think this is a great initiative - it's getting lots of cache owners working together, and it's creating a fantastic set of caches for geocachers to find. I think coordinating to make it such a huge 'release' of caches is excellent. Reall well done. I have no feeling for how far apart the caches are, or what kind of caches each one is, so I won't comment on that.

If this PT gets a lot of traffic, it should be interesting to see how the grassy areas hold up to cars' weight and tire marks (looked at a few caches via Google Street View and didn't see any paved or gravel shoulders). Also should be interesting to see how businesses and home owners react to the extra stop and go traffic. There's a roadside PT near me that had a few of their caches archived because of complaints from home owners -- some of the home owners who gave permission didn't realize how busy it was going to get, at all hours of the day. People go out to these in big groups sometimes - making a mini event of it:

67e7a292-196c-4211-b2fd-08b20f9e31b8.jpg

Edited by Löne r

>in uninspired locations,

have you been there ?

Nope. I just assumed, based on other power trails I've seen, that there might indeed be a few beautiful spots along the given route, whilst most of the ground zero locations would be as interesting as watching paint dry. Thanx to the magic of Google Earth, it appears my assumption was correct. :rolleyes:<_<:unsure:

I don't necessarily disagree with you at all (from my pov I'm currently trying to see if I can get my %age of small caches above the %age of micros for example - something a power trail would kill). Generally I'd much rather walk 5k in and out to look for one cache in a particularly interesting location, but I also get that there are others who like other ways to play.

But if you're going to do this sort of thing then it's the best way to do it - and entirely appropriate to the Danish situation to use this particular route.

But if you're going to do this sort of thing then it's the best way to do it - and entirely appropriate to the Danish situation to use this particular route.

I'm not so sure that it is indeed the best way. I can well imagine that the powertrail will demotivate hiders of already existing caches or not yet existing caches along this route which are dedicated to interesting locations. I've come across this happening in other areas. Caches at nice locations that are on or near such a trail and are either traditionals or short multi caches typically receive an increased traffic, but the log quality deteriorates considerably and most logs then read like "Cache x/y on tour with A, B and C. TFTC." That's why I prefer powertrails that are far from anything that could be of interest to geocachers that cache for the sake of the location.

Cezanne

I'm not so sure that it is indeed the best way. I can well imagine that the powertrail will demotivate hiders of already existing caches or not yet existing caches along this route which are dedicated to interesting locations. I've come across this happening in other areas. Caches at nice locations that are on or near such a trail and are either traditionals or short multi caches typically receive an increased traffic, but the log quality deteriorates considerably and most logs then read like "Cache x/y on tour with A, B and C. TFTC." That's why I prefer powertrails that are far from anything that could be of interest to geocachers that cache for the sake of the location.

That's a fair point, yes.

Although, to be honest, the vast majority of cache logs that I see online tend to be no more than that length anyway... (but that's another bucket of fish)

If the general route of this trail (or others I suppose) takes you along a scenic route, with interesting/scenic/historic locations along the route, is there a need to have a cache every 528' (as I doubt there is something interesting every 528')?

Would a cache placed at each "cool spot" be sufficient to draw visitors to the route? With fewer caches, each listing could be unique, describing to the visitor what they were seeing, or the historical or geological significance of the area, etc? Cachers might actually learn something, and spend more time soaking in the local culture and scenery than darting from cache to cache with their eyes fosucing on the GPS screen..

Or was the purpose strickly to generate a numbers run?

I think I know the answer.

Or was the purpose strictly to generate a numbers run?

I'm wondering if that was even the purpose, i.e. the 'run' part, i.e. the physical availability of a huge run for cachers who like number caching - because this is meant to be a temporary thing. The purpose was to break a record.

Or was the purpose strictly to generate a numbers run?

I'm wondering if that was even the purpose, i.e. the 'run' part, i.e. the physical availability of a huge run for cachers who like number caching - because this is meant to be a temporary thing. The purpose was to break a record.

I just realized something...all 2000+ spots were held in limbo for up to a year, preventing others from hiding caches along that same route. That must of sucked for people not involved with the project.

[edit: typos]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

However, I'm sure it's a world record.....for now. :ph34r: Right now, somewhere in a dim room in the USA, someone is strategizing about how to top this and bring America back into caching superiority.

have you looked at the Ocala National Forest lately? It now plagued by power trails. what used to be a great place for going into the woods and doing a little off road caching has turned in to power run paradise.

Edited by roundnround we go

have you looked at the Ocala National Forest lately? It now plagued by power trails. what used to be a great place for going into the woods and doing a little off road caching has turned in to power run paradise.

Kinda makes me grateful for the general NPS "no cache" guideline...I'd hate to see the Blue Ridge Parkway sullied by a power trail.

If this PT gets a lot of traffic, it should be interesting to see how the grassy areas hold up to cars' weight and tire marks (looked at a few caches via Google Street View and didn't see any paved or gravel shoulders). Also should be interesting to see how businesses and home owners react to the extra stop and go traffic. There's a roadside PT near me that had a few of their caches archived because of complaints from home owners -- some of the home owners who gave permission didn't realize how busy it was going to get, at all hours of the day. People go out to these in big groups sometimes - making a mini event of it:

67e7a292-196c-4211-b2fd-08b20f9e31b8.jpg

Thats it and thats that! So sad to be a Dane with this PT placed along Margueritruten :signalviolin:

what part of this, did you not understand ?

this thread is NOT a discussion about likes or dislikes, plenty of threads for that, please go there..

People with an imagination have allready found several new funny games they can use this PT for,

no need to talk bad about caches you dont like or not understand.. just dont seek them, then

and please spend your time creating caches you like, and spread the word about what kind of cool things you can do..

It is definitely a world record for biggest and longest powertrail of all time with the most amount of new hides dumped on one area at once. It ranks up there as perhaps one of the greatest achivements of mankind!

• Declaration of Human Rights. - The idea of equality, liberty, and justice
  • Understanding Nature of Human existence - From Aristotle, to Newton and Einstein. The greatest minds have helped better understand the place of human beings in the greater cosmos through the laws of gravity and other scientific discoveries.
  • Development of Modern Medicine and Vaccinations
  • Moon Landing
  • Building the Great Pyramids
  • The First Flight by the Wright brothers 1901
  • The Placement of the 2159 unit DK Powertrail Geocache Series in Denmark
  • The Works of William Shakespeare
  • Climbing Mount Everest - Symbolising the adventurous spirit of man
  • Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa

LOL :laughing:

It's the "More Must Be Better" mentality. The ONF is still a great place to do some off road caching. One simply needs to ignore the glut of green boxes on their map which are placed along those roads which are traversible by minivans. Driving down Forest Road 90 is not exactly off road caching, so the bajillion or so caches tossed out every 529' along that road, and all the other easily drivable roads shouldn't really impact your off road caching plans.

You just gotta weed out the chaff. :unsure:

It's the "More Must Be Better" mentality. The ONF is still a great place to do some off road caching. One simply needs to ignore the glut of green boxes on their map which are placed along those roads which are traversible by minivans. Driving down Forest Road 90 is not exactly off road caching, so the bajillion or so caches tossed out every 529' along that road, and all the other easily drivable roads shouldn't really impact your off road caching plans.

Holy smokes Batman! :o A friend of mine has been wanting me to come out and do some 4wheeling in the ONF. I just hope i'll be able to filter out the good stuff from the over abundance of the other when i go. I'm guessing higher terrain will be what i need look for to find better quality?

Holy smokes Batman! :o A friend of mine has been wanting me to come out and do some 4wheeling in the ONF. I just hope i'll be able to filter out the good stuff from the over abundance of the other when i go. I'm guessing higher terrain will be what i need look for to find better quality?

The power trails in the ONF are not much different from power trails anywhere. Look for the green box icon repeated endlessly, along a straight line. Previously, when I played in the ONF, I would divide the forest into quarters and create 4 PQs covering the whole thing. I would load all four PQs into my Garmin. Since my premium membership expired, i have to pick and choose using the map. The forest is divided up by a bunch of straight roads, and the power trails seem to be pinned to these almost exclusively. Then I look for the caches which are lonely little boxes in between these roads. Some are hike only, some are Jeep accessible. I'm happy either way. You could also park your Jeep and spend a few days bush whacking after the Coexist Series, or spend one day bush whacking Mormon Creek for a handful of extreme caches, or paddle either Juniper or Alexander creeks, for a handful of aqua therapy caches.

Power trails are easy to avoid.

No, and your explanation shows the problem very clearly. PT's ought to have a icon for them self, so they can be avoided by only one click.

Actually, my explanation demonstrated just how easy it is to avoid them. If you dump all the caches in a given area into your GPSr, all you need to do is look at the map screen. If you see a string of 80 bajillion green box icons along the edge of a road, does it really take a lot of effort to figure out that it's a power trail? The same applies if you selectively download individual caches. Look at the map. If you see a string of 80 bajillion green box icons along the edge of a roadway, don't download them. Easy peasy.

Incidentally, I happen to agree that there should be a power trail attribute.

No, and your explanation shows the problem very clearly. PT's ought to have a icon for them self, so they can be avoided by only one click.

Actually, my explanation demonstrated just how easy it is to avoid them. If you dump all the caches in a given area into your GPSr, all you need to do is look at the map screen. If you see a string of 80 bajillion green box icons along the edge of a road, does it really take a lot of effort to figure out that it's a power trail? The same applies if you selectively download individual caches. Look at the map. If you see a string of 80 bajillion green box icons along the edge of a roadway, don't download them. Easy peasy.

Incidentally, I happen to agree that there should be a power trail attribute.

Having to look at the map of ONF and then click on each individual cache that is not obviously a power trail and then download each individually is not what I would call Easy Peasy. But then I have probably been spoiled by the ease of PQs.