Looking to be scared

I recently read the wildman cache and a few others and I am really looking to be scared. I have seen alot of things in my life and I am just not biteing things.If you have a cache that is scary, or in a scare place please let me know. I am looking to have myself scared silly.

Thanks,

John icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, wanted to look these up yesterday, but the website was down.

If you feel like traveling, try the Blair Witch Project-Coffin Rock cache. And if that doesn't scare you, try Blair Witch Project-Parr House. I understand the camping in this area is fabulous! icon_wink.gif so don't forget to bring your tent..........oh and 2 copies of the map. icon_confused.gif he he he!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

To elaborate on Rygel's post, there are several caches on, or near this infamous road, including one of mine.

Also Team GWHO has a lot of caches based on sites featured in Weird NJ magazine. I think Rygel is referring to GWHO's website. He has a link to it in his profile.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Freaks me out just by reading about it. I would love to visit it and the caches near it unfortunately I'm in Texas icon_frown.gif Maybe some day, I'd love to have the daylights scared out of me. icon_biggrin.gif

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

That one certainly qualifies!! I'll be in OK next week. I'll try to get a big group of people to go with me (I'm a scaredy cat) Safety in numbers, maybe it will get the weak ones first, better take some kids icon_wink.gif

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"

quote:
Originally posted by BeOnTheLookOut:

That one certainly qualifies!! I'll be in OK next week. I'll try to get a big group of people to go with me (I'm a scaredy cat) Safety in numbers, maybe it will get the weak ones first, better take some kids icon_wink.gif

I tried to go last night but everyone chicken out on me...I am here in Oklahoma and ready to find it, just didn't want to go by myself! I will go with you if you want!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Has anyone seen a large black beast near any caches? I have seen it many times in the last month or so here in S. Utah. I took a picture of it and will post it here if I can find out how to do it. Could it be a cache cow????

Iv'e never been lost permanently- the Canyonherder!

Al Norris

I had an 'experience' a few years ago near my old hometown of Gaylord, Michigan, in which I was out walking with a friend of mine very early in the morning one summer.

We were milling around our usual, local gas station hangout when boredom overtook us. I had been chatting with a friend who worked at the station but I had to leave due to his being behind in his work.

Another friend was there, and I got an urge to go see a place that was reputed to be 'haunted,' so I asked him if he wanted to come along. He said yes, and off we went.

I'll get to the point. We parked my truck, then walked about 3/4 mile or so into the woods, off of a well-marked trail used primarily for gas pipeline maintenance. There was no wind and the woods were fairly quiet.

We arrived at a place where the road teed (T), and where there was a turn to the right. The right turn was almost a drop-off down a two-track trail that showed evidence of a lot of water gullying in and around it. My friend and I walked toward it, when something happened.

I heard it first--a sound I still can't place to this day. It sounded like a beacon of some kind, a weird mixture of whistling and a keyboard-synthesis-like chiming to it. We had turned to go down the hill when I heard it. I immediately hushed my friend and told him to stand still, don't move, and be quiet. I told him I had heard something in the trees straight ahead.

What I saw, looking straight ahead was the topmost part of the trees of a hardwood forest--this due to the fact that my friend and I were on a ridge; the road went downhill a way, then veered off to the left (nw) a bit. Well, after a while of looking and listening, nothing else happened.

So we began to walk again, this time going down the hill. When I got to the bend to the left, something else occurred that has since made me pause to wonder, each time I recall the happening.

I was slightly ahead of my friend, with him being just behind me a bit. I had just gotten to the corner, and was about ready to go down into the woods (the area of the little hill was open to the sky a bit), when all of a sudden, I heard that same whistling/sythesized chiming sound right on top of me, accompanied by what seemed to me to be a gust of wind, that felt like it went around each side of me, although I had a strange sensation of it possibly going directly *through* me, as well, although this sensation was somewhat sketchy.

What I heard, I also sensed, directionally, in my mind. That is, I seemed to be able to sense the direction that the "wind" was blowing-in from. It seemed to come out of the woods on my right, hit me, then arc back up through the trees then come back around a bit--a sort of semi-oval trajectory--then stop. I immediately inquired of my friend, seconds after the 'wind' hit me: "Did you feel that?" He responsed one second later, "Did you hear that?"

I said that I had heard it, *and* felt it!. I asked him what he wanted to do, and when he just smiled a half-strange smile of "I dunno," I decided to continue walking. I mean, after all, that's why I was out...to possibly encounter some kind of 'haunted' type of activity. Well, I definitely got my wish!

I put one foot forward--just one!--and the same thing happened again, the 'wind' this time doing a quick "double tap" in the same manner as before. I immediately stopped in my tracks, reconsidering my route. I looked at my friend again for a second or two, then said that I think we should go.

He started to run, but I told him to slow down. I did not really care to invoke a mental state of panic, as well as not really relishing being left out alone in the woods. I had the truck keys anyway, so it would not matter if he ran off; he had no way--save for walking--back the 6 miles to town. My words caught him up and he slowed down. I said out loud to whom or whatever might be listening that we were heading back up to the road, and heading back the way we came.

As we both climbed back up the hill to the ridge road, there was a palpable lifting of heaviness that I could feel. Whether this was due to a relaxing stiff set of fear-induced muscular cramping or a state of general relief is hard to say. It was like the atmosphere became less thick as we ascended. When we got to the road, even at the top of the hill, the feeling was gone.

We travelled back to the truck without incident, and without any further demonstrations of unusual phenomena. The only thing that did occur was that we heard noises far to the west, noises of clanking metal and machinery. My friend intoned "mill noises," (there was supposed to be the ruins of an old--and now haunted--lumber mill in the area) but I had other ideas.

Later on that week, I drove my 4x4 truck to that very spot in the daytime. The road had been a bit hard to pass due to a fallen tree, but that had been cleared and the way was easy-going. I drove to where we had the experience, and I put the truck in low-lock gearing and crept down the steep hill, past the turn to the nw, and through the forest to a locked set of double-gates. There was a bunch of stuff stacked up on the other side, and I took this for some type of farming or pipeline-maintenance hardware cache. (Not geocache, this was before geocaching.)

I turned the truck around, went back up the hill, got over the top of the lip of the hill, then turned to the right and contined west, past the T. Well, I think I found the source of my friend's "mill noises" in the form of a large building with openings all over it. This was in operation and was nothing less than a large blower, possibly a cooling unit for the pumping that was going on. This could have easily been the sound that my friend heard. I am satisfied that this was the sound he heard.

The other matter, however, is another thing entirely. I have no rational explanation for what occurred, unless one is familiar with metaphysical subject matter. To me, this is where the experience lay--in that world of "you can't see it, it's there, but I can't put the feeling into words." I have no further knowledge if this happened to anyone else. I got the information on the location from a friend who's sister encountered something in the woods one day--but I could never get around to asking her about her experiences. He said she didn't really talk about it. Perhaps I'll follow up one of these days...

Well, that's it. Hope you were scared. It really happened to me.

Firefishe

Traverse City, Michigan

[Note: The incident occurred near Gaylord, Michigan]:

Click Here for MapQuest Location

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on April 09, 2003 at 03:20 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BVCY Swim:

Here's a cache we found a while ago in Dayton, OH.

Scared the crap out of us. The container was a large black rubber life-like rat with a micro container in it's belly hidden at the base of a fallen tree. To make matters even scarier, it was foggy, damp, and just right before sunrise.

Cheers ... BVCY Swim

LOL! Oh, man -- that's a GREAT idea! Talk about leaving the cache alone... maybe should repost under that thread for "how to avoid cache theft?"

Thanks for the laugh... hah!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by BVCY Swim:

Here's a cache we found a while ago in Dayton, OH.

<image snipped>

Scared the crap out of us. The container was a large black rubber life-like rat with a micro container in it's belly hidden at the base of a fallen tree. To make matters even scarier, it was foggy, damp, and just right before sunrise.

Found a real one of those while looing for a cache in downtown Memphis along the banks of the Mississippi river. I decided that I was looking in the WRONG place. Turned out I was.

beatnik

quote:
f you feel like traveling, try the Blair Witch Project-Coffin Rock cache. And if that doesn't scare you, try Blair Witch Project-Parr House. I understand the camping in this area is fabulous! so don't forget to bring your tent..........oh and 2 copies of the map. he he he!

If you want to be scared don't go to these 2 cahes. It will ruin the movie for you. These 2 sites are in a very urbanized area, and they are @ least 45 min drive away from each other, not a days hike like in the movie.

If you want to get creeped out, come to Leesburg, VA around Halloween and take the Leesburg Ghost tours. All of the sites have been verified by many different people. (someone passed out in the what is supposed to be the most haunted house of them all in my tour group.) Then after the tour go do the 3 caches contained within Balls Bluff Regional park. (Balls Bluff Regional Park - RevisedINDY FINDSBalls Bluff? Surely You Joust?The park is the scene of a very bloody civil war battle. The anniversary is on 10/26, and you could take your tour that day. Almost all of the hauntings on the tour have something to do with the battle, and the park itself has a ghost story or 2 associated with it. No one is supposed to be in the park after dusk, but that's part of thrill isn't it? I've gotten a pretty serious case of the heebie jeebies there myself.

You've also given me a great idea to do ghost related caches in my area. With all the battles and history around the area and books written on the subject, there's a lot of potential.

Well, I haven't been to any scary caches yet. But if you are looking to HIDE a creepy cache, visit this site. Scroll down about midway through the page. They have haunted places listed for all US states and other countries as well. The site says some of these places are private property but it might be worth a look..you could always ask the land owner for permission.

:(:rolleyes::)

Edited by Imajika