Maps not working

Stompy

Maps not working for me either. Map appears but no caches come up. Map is zoom-able and pan-able, but it just sits there waiting for a response from geocaching.com. Same in Firefox and Chrome.

I think that The K9 Crew are based in the UK*, as I am. Is it a UK specific issue?

* Just a few miles away I think.

Edited by eaglegale

We shifted the map tiles (specifically the cache overlays) to their own dedicated subdomain in the last release to help with performance.

The performance does seem a bit better (noting that I have never experienced the no-map-icons problem), but there are a couple of problems that are still occurring:

-Blank icons (the two in the image below should be smilies):

blank_map_icons.jpg

-Partially-loaded icons:

half_map_icons.jpg

These don't happen all that often, but they're kind of annoying when they do occur.

We have had no other reports of map issues since our Tuesday site update. What sort of problems are you encountering?

I have cleared my cache and cookies and still can't get the map to work. I've shut down, I've turned off my firewall and It either never loads the page at all and then firefox times out saying that the geocaching.com sever took too long to respond. or if it does load the map it doesn't display the map icons. The map page never seems to load completely. I've tried firefox, IE and chrome none work. I'm in the uk.

Cleaned my cache with CCleaner, and now it's working again. :)

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded CCleaner and ran it, now it's working. I was afraid deleting cookies would make me have to log in again, but it didn't.

My problem was the same as most on here. Maps loaded, but no caches. Works fine now.

A number of ua cannot get pocket query mps. All that comes up is the map of all caches from home location. What can we do???

This is a JavaScript error that is specific to IE. We have identified the issue and will be correcting it. In the meantime, you can use another browser as a work-around.

The team is currently investigating the reports of no caches showing on the map.

The team is currently investigating the reports of no caches showing on the map.

Is it possible that the problem is related to a session or something? Most of the time when people are reporting not seeing any icons, it starts working for them again after about 15 minutes. Just a thought.

Is it possible that the problem is related to a session or something? Most of the time when people are reporting not seeing any icons, it starts working for them again after about 15 minutes. Just a thought.

No, it's server related. We have 21 servers operating the site and in this case WEB-16 was misbehaving. The reason it might suddenly appear to start working for someone is that after a while they get moved to a new server.

"This is a JavaScript error that is specific to IE. We have identified the issue and will be correcting it. In the meantime, you can use another browser as a work-around."

I would politely disagree that it's only IE related. I use Firefox and Chrome and it doesn't work on either. I don't use IE.

No, it's server related. We have 21 servers operating the site and in this case WEB-16 was misbehaving. The reason it might suddenly appear to start working for someone is that after a while they get moved to a new server.

Hi Moun10Bike, any ETA on a fix? Going into the weekend here in UK without any map :cry:

"This is a JavaScript error that is specific to IE. We have identified the issue and will be correcting it. In the meantime, you can use another browser as a work-around."

I would politely disagree that it's only IE related. I use Firefox and Chrome and it doesn't work on either. I don't use IE.

My response was to the issue of PQ preview failing to show the area of the PQ and isolate the caches contained in the PQ. That is a JavaScript error specific to IE. The issue with no caches showing on the map at all was an issue with WEB-16, one of our 21 web servers, and has been corrected. All web servers are as of this moment properly rendering the cache overlay.

My response was to the issue of PQ preview failing to show the area of the PQ and isolate the caches contained in the PQ. That is a JavaScript error specific to IE. The issue with no caches showing on the map at all was an issue with WEB-16, one of our 21 web servers, and has been corrected. All web servers are as of this moment properly rendering the cache overlay.

They still aren't working for me and several UK people, who have also posted on facebook so suggested they post here. All I get is a map no cache overlay. I've tried two seperate computers and both not rendering the map overlay so think you have another problem.

K9 Crew, can you tell me a little bit about the setup you have? Browser, OS, do you know what a javascript console is and can you tell me if there is any error / warning messages?

Does this link work for you when you click on it?

map.png?x=6&y=11&z=5

K9 Crew, can you tell me a little bit about the setup you have? Browser, OS, do you know what a javascript console is and can you tell me if there is any error / warning messages?

http://tiles.geocach...ng?x=6&y=11&z=5

Hi Raine, no your link doesn't work. I'm using Windows 7. Firefox 20.0.1 when I click on maps page the map displays the egg timer spins around on the tab for ages and I get a message in the bottom of the screen saying connecting to geocaching.com then connecting to tiles01.geocaching.com some times its tiles03 or tiles04 then it times out.

Hi Raine, no your link doesn't work. I'm using Windows 7. Firefox 20.0.1 when I click on maps page the map displays the egg timer spins around on the tab for ages and I get a message in the bottom of the screen saying connecting to geocaching.com then connecting to tiles01.geocaching.com some times its tiles03 or tiles04 then it times out.

I don't know your skill level for computers is so if this is too much let me know.

Open a command window and type tracert tiles.geocaching.com and paste the results in to a private message to me or email me at raine@geocaching.com

Thanks!

I don't know your skill level for computers is so if this is too much let me know.

Open a command window and type tracert tiles.geocaching.com and paste the results in to a private message to me or email me at raine@geocaching.com

Thanks!

Hi Raine, results have been emailed to you, thanks for your help

Thank you Raine for all your help yesterday on email. This morning I tried several more things but eventually pinned it down to my routers firewall. As soon as I turned it off it started working again, fingers crossed it will continue to work. I have a belkin router it's quite old now but don't know why it has suddenly began misbehaving.

Glad K9 crew is Ok now, but I'm not.

I tried the tracert thing, but as soon as it completes the window disappears so I can't copy and paste it!

Ideas?

K9 Crew's fix: Is it a good idea to run without a firewall?

Edited by eaglegale

Glad K9 crew is Ok now, but I'm not.

I tried the tracert thing, but as soon as it completes the window disappears so I can't copy and paste it!

Ideas?

K9 Crew's fix: Is it a good idea to run without a firewall?

Hi eaglegale, in the command window after running tracrt, right click and select "mark" then you will be able to highlight the text and then ctrl-c and ctrl-v into a notepad to email.

Re the firewall, I have a firewall on my router and a firewall on my anti virus and have windows defender running so think that I'm protected.

If I were you i'd try turning off your router firewall to see if that is the same cause to the problem. For a short time whilst you test gc.com you should be ok. I tried turning off webroot first and still no map. I then turned off my router firewall and bingo instantly fixed it. I knew it had to be something like that as it was the only think common in my house for two seperate PC's that would not display maps.

good luck

I'm having problems with the maps too, At first averything seems fine but as soon as i try to move the map or zoom on it tha Map starts flashing and won't work again. Have this problem on different computers. All using IExplorer and Windows7 and on my ipad using safari ( no not the app just normal internet with safari).

Removed cookies and problems stays. Tried several days now.

Can you help?

I now know why tracert was vanishing. It's because I ran it as a direct command in the run box rather than opening a CMD window. Opening a CMD window works. Don't know what tracert results mean though...

I too have a Belkin router. I tried to disable the firewall and it simply hung, then gives me a page saying that, "The server sent no data". However, despite this message it actually has disabled the firewall, and "lo and behold" the maps are now working!

The question is, should I now enable the router firewall again? It seems to me that it's a problem with the updates to the geocaching.com website, and not a problem with the router. Logically there is something about the website that the firewall doesn't like?

Edited by eaglegale