It's time to make the FTF game legit.

Roman!

Let me see if I get this straight, now you want to add some hard coding to the website, that would ensure that the same person is the FTF and FTL? So if someone doesn't go online and log that find with the secret code for a few hours or days, no one else can post a legit find on the cache? Seriously? Man this pile of carp is getting deeper as the thread goes on.

I have heard of some FTF hounds who hold off posting their online longs in the hopes that it will encourage others to race out to the cache, only to be disappointed when they don't see a clean log sheet.

I've got no issues with the FTF game, even if I consider it a bit silly. But to add it as an officially sanctioned aspect to what geocaching already is? That is a ridiculous suggestion.

Most great ideas start as a concept that is polished to perfection so with all the constructive feedback I have polished my idea.

Every time a CO creates a cache they are given an FTF code they should in the cache.

Every log book must have a spot for the FTF to sign and the FTF must sign there.

The cache is locked from "Found it" logs till the FTF code is activated or till one week has passed at which time the code becomes inactive and no one can claim an "official" FTF.

Cheating will always be an issue but it won't be hard for a community to figure out who is cheating. Once there is enough proof the cheater(s) are investigated and banned if proven by a local volunteer FTF council to have cheated.

Hey look! I got first post of the second page! Do I get a smiley or a code or something?

You get a BADGE. :D

Is a BADGE anything like a Souvenir? ;)

Very similar. But the badges are worth 10% more.

And they come with a Badge code that must be activated, no one else can activate a badge until yours is activated. If you don't activate it within a week a Groundspeak Lackey will investigate and ban you for one month.

Most great ideas start as a concept that is polished to perfection so with all the constructive feedback I have polished my idea.

Every time a CO creates a cache they are given an FTF code they should in the cache.

Every log book must have a spot for the FTF to sign and the FTF must sign there.

The cache is locked from "Found it" logs till the FTF code is activated or till one week has passed at which time the code becomes inactive and no one can claim an "official" FTF.

Cheating will always be an issue but it won't be hard for a community to figure out who is cheating. Once there is enough proof the cheater(s) are investigated and banned if proven by a local volunteer FTF council to have cheated.

You forgot your other 'brillent' idea - CO's who don't use the code get banned also. You are forcing a side game played by a very small percent of cachers to be played by everyone. By mking the FTF the primary focus of any new cache (no logging until the FTF code is used) you are perverting the entire game. My use name might mean 'a fool', but you define it.

What if the CO doesn't care about the FTF game, forgets to put the code in the cache, or doesn't want to hike back up the mountain to put the code in it?

What if the FTF doesn't sign there?

What if the FTF is traveling and can't get to a computer until 2 weeks later? What if the FTF forgets to grab the code or misplaces it?

Yeah, your idea is really getting polished now...

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg

I don't think there's any reason the first finder has to be the first to log. Once the FTFer grabs the code, he can log any time and get the point. No reason others couldn't log in the meantime. If the first finder never logs no FTF gets awarded.

This would force the CO to place the code but as it is a revolutionary new idea maybe we can start off not locking caches till people get used to placing the code.

Hey, gotta give me props for being flexible:)

As a cache owner, I don't want to put the code in my cache. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

All logs already have a spot for the FTF to sign. It is anywhere there is a blank space on the log. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

If I place a new cache with your code and the FTF has some issue happen and doesn't log it online for 10 days, why should I have to wait a week for all the other Found It logs? I hide caches for the stories in the logs, not to award someone who finds it first. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

I recognized/congratulated the FTF on only one of my cache pages..... they are the CO of the first cache I found (in '06) and it was their very first FTF (after over 5 years in the game).

One can polish a chunk of coal forever, but that won't turn it into a diamond.

As a cache owner, I don't want to put the code in my cache. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

All logs already have a spot for the FTF to sign. It is anywhere there is a blank space on the log. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

If I place a new cache with your code and the FTF has some issue happen and doesn't log it online for 10 days, why should I have to wait a week for all the other Found It logs? I hide caches for the stories in the logs, not to award someone who finds it first. - YOUR IDEA = FAIL

I recognized/congratulated the FTF on only one of my cache pages..... they are the CO of the first cache I found (in '06) and it was their very first FTF (after over 5 years in the game).

One can polish a chunk of coal forever, but that won't turn it into a diamond.

I was just at an event and 25 people I asked all liked the idea, I'm not expecting everyone to like it, but if enough do maybe we can make it happen.

What if the CO doesn't care about the FTF game, forgets to put the code in the cache, or doesn't want to hike back up the mountain to put the code in it?

What if the FTF doesn't sign there?

What if the FTF is traveling and can't get to a computer until 2 weeks later? What if the FTF forgets to grab the code or misplaces it?

Yeah, your idea is really getting polished now...

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg

I appreciate all the positive feedback and through this my idea can truly be made into a working concept that can then be implimented. I will keep refining my concept, keep the feedback coming.

I'm not expecting everyone to like it...

Actually, you are. You're expecting 100% of cachers to participate. Those who don't are "investigated" and can be banned.

What an excellent way to foster a community atmosphere...

This is the lamest joke I've heard in a while. It just keeps getting less and less funny. Why not actually do something caching-related instead of trolling the forums?

I don't think there's any reason the first finder has to be the first to log. Once the FTFer grabs the code, he can log any time and get the point. No reason others couldn't log in the meantime. If the first finder never logs no FTF gets awarded.

This would force the CO to place the code but as it is a revolutionary new idea maybe we can start off not locking caches till people get used to placing the code.

Hey, gotta give me props for being flexible:)

I don't know if forcing a CO to place a code is a good idea. I don't know if the site would or should require this code in order for a cache to be listed. If COs were given the option of including a code, I think enough of them would. It seems many local people who go after FTFs have plenty of hides of their own and would participate.

I think the idea is asinine.

I do look forward to your next geobeer-induced musing, however. :lol:

Are you saying Roman drunk posts to the internets? Of course the records show his two "be an elitist snob like me" free premium membership giveaway threads were. We won't talk about the 2nd one that was locked after about the 3rd or 4th post though. :ph34r:

I think the idea is asinine.

I do look forward to your next geobeer-induced musing, however. :lol:

Are you saying Roman drunk posts to the internets? Of course the records show his two "be an elitist snob like me" free premium membership giveaway threads were. We won't talk about the 2nd one that was locked after about the 3rd or 4th post though. :ph34r:

Ha, locking it saved me $30.

There are still some bugs to work out but if the code is reported gone and not logged in a timely fashion an investigation is done and the person not logging it is banned.

While it might be workable to ban all of the people who don't log your code, it would be much simpler and a lot less work to just ban the one person who came up with this idea and say to heck with it. It's a little harder to justify, but the pang of conscience goes away in a day or two; sooner, if one has a beer or six.

Maybe a third-party site could be created to implement this idea. Eg Geochecker is a site where you can check your solution to puzzles caches listed on gc.com. You could create a ftf.com to distribute the codes and award the FTF points for caches on this and other listing sites.

Maybe a third-party site could be created to implement this idea. Eg Geochecker is a site where you can check your solution to puzzles caches listed on gc.com. You could create a ftf.com to distribute the codes and award the FTF points for caches on this and other listing sites.

Great idea, but ftf.com is taken. :D

--Larry

Great idea, but ftf.com is taken. :D

--Larry

reallystoopididea.com is available. :rolleyes:

just sayin...

The cheating would be simple to handle, every member would be allowed 1 protest/month that would be thouroughly investigated by GS lackeys and if a CO was found giving out the code they'd be banned for a month as would the fake finder.

Seriously? Is a Lackey supposed to fly out to GZ, track down and interview each of the cachers involved in the dispute, examine the log, and make a ruling on who was FTF?

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Membership fees would have to triple to cover these services.

I've gotta say this is one of the most spirited forums out there. Congrats! Call it brilliant or call it a train wreck, but it's got tongues wagging!

The cheating would be simple to handle, every member would be allowed 1 protest/month that would be thouroughly investigated by GS lackeys and if a CO was found giving out the code they'd be banned for a month as would the fake finder.

Seriously? Is a Lackey supposed to fly out to GZ, track down and interview each of the cachers involved in the dispute, examine the log, and make a ruling on who was FTF?

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Membership fees would have to triple to cover these services.

I've gotta say this is one of the most spirited forums out there. Congrats! Call it brilliant or call it a train wreck, but it's got tongues wagging!

I'm OK with that, I have always been quite vocal about higher fees.

Yes, its about time to turn the other cheek and you wouldn't have to delete logs,no one would be able to post a find until the FTF activated the code.

So my new cache would be locked unless someone used the FTF code? :blink:

I'm thinking the Garmin site would be seeing a whole lot more traffic. :lol::anibad:

Wild Turkey strikes again.

Yes, its about time to turn the other cheek and you wouldn't have to delete logs,no one would be able to post a find until the FTF activated the code.

So my new cache would be locked unless someone used the FTF code? :blink:

I'm thinking the Garmin site would be seeing a whole lot more traffic. :lol::anibad:

Wild Turkey strikes again.

Eventually for up to a week yes but since I'm flexible I think a grace period should be in order where caches would not be locked.

There is a simple way to determine who the FTF is, that only fails if the FTF doesn't do it. CO places a FTF certificate in the cache for the first finder who takes it, and in many cases posts a picture of themselves holding the certificate and the log (with only their signature) at GZ. With the advent of smartphones, this can be done in real time.

Having said that, FTF is my least favorite part of geocaching. I've seen the battles get ugly with bad feelings, etc. Worse, is the disappointment as a CO at placing a cache that takes time or effort to place, then seeing a flurry of logs on one day, followed by the cache being completely ignored afterwards. In my mind, I prefer that Groundspeak NOT get involved in this. I prefer the method used by DGP, now LCP (www.lonelycache.com) which honors FDF (First day finds) without trying to decide who got there first.

There is a simple way to determine who the FTF is, that only fails if the FTF doesn't do it....

I know a way, too:

The FTF states in their log that they were FTF.

It seems to work just fine around here. No codes, certificates, juries, or flying Lackeys required.

True, but there is too much drama, I like my FTFs nice and neat.

I know a way, too:

It seems to work just fine around here. No codes, certificates, juries, or flying Lackeys required.

You mainland-folk must be doing it wrong. There isn't any FTF drama in these parts.

I know a way, too:

You mainland-folk must be doing it wrong. There isn't any FTF drama in these parts.

Really?

Your local drama grabbed front page news.

Add you were front and center in the drama.

Edited by Roman!

Really?

Your local drama grabbed front page news.

I won't deny that that cache had a lot of drama, but none of it was surrounding who was FTF.

It was all about FTF, then Off Grid went off on some kinda hatred rant about the FTF game.

But for the record I was on your side.

Edited by Roman!

It was all about FTF, then Off Grid went off on some kinda hatred rant about the FTF game.

Uhh, no. It's always been crystal clear that Neltra was FTF, and nobody has disputed that, even the owner. Off Grid had problems with cachers making statements regarding the cache listing and the location.

Uhh, no. It's always been crystal clear that Neltra was FTF, and nobody has disputed that, even the owner. Off Grid had problems with cachers making statements regarding the cache listing and the location.

Too much drama anyways, we don't get that here.

Edited by Roman!

When a CO creates a new cache they are given an FTF code they put in the cache which a finder then logs on GC.com and is credited with the FTF. The code may only be used by one person.

We can the create a leader board much like cacherstats.com to see who truly is the best FTF hound, no that's my idea of fun.

I still see some abuse. Just give your friend the code and its over with. Or maybe not. :ph34r::blink::ph34r:

When a CO creates a new cache they are given an FTF code they put in the cache which a finder then logs on GC.com and is credited with the FTF. The code may only be used by one person.

We can the create a leader board much like cacherstats.com to see who truly is the best FTF hound, no that's my idea of fun.

I still see some abuse. Just give your friend the code and its over with. Or maybe not. :ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Agreed, my idea is 12 hours old, although its an awesome idea it does need some tweaking.

Agreed, my idea is 12 hours old, although its an awesome idea it does need some tweaking.

Keep beating on the dead horse, something will come out of it. Like making better mistakes. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Keep beating on the dead horse, something will come out of it. Like making better mistakes. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I've heard that somewhere before. :lol: