Cache Saturation/Overkill?

Zerpersande

Just wanted to know what others think of going into a small, nondescript, city park of about 180 acres in size and placing 7 caches with the greatest distance between two caches being about 3/4 mile. Quick calculations indicate that if it were planned carefully, the area possibly could handle 9 caches.

Now if such a person were to also be complaining in an angry, insulting manner about the 'quality' of caches left by others????

I see folks going after hides like that all the time.

So yeah, many would hit a park for the many inside it.

- And they all could be good, quality hides if done right

- But the other part of your question/statement seems to have an agenda and not knowing all the particulars (the other side of the coin) I won't go there.

More caches does not have to mean poor quality caches.

But as the first poster noted this is clearly a loaded question so just go ahead and spill it.

No, more doesn't have to mean poor quality and I will eventually probably go by there. But I know what will be found. As for spilling it, it's pretty obvious that others that do this will draw fire, specifically me. So, loaded? In a way, but it's relevant. But more detail would not be appropriate, though I will add that for the area I am catching grief over, I have about 40-50 caches in a 24 sq. mile area.

Why not leave it at wondering how a poll on this comes in from the general population? Point is taken that the other side of the coin needs to be considered but you can paint a pretty good picture of how that would look. From my point of view, I can stand about any saturation of any quality/difficulty of cache that exists. But I can't stand hypocritical judgments on issues that are clearly outside the actual rules of the game. Nobody is obligated to play by protocol, just the rules. Notice the word 'obligated'. But I'm not going to listen to some soap box evangelist tell me how to conduct my sex life when said evangelist is hopping from hotel room to hotel room.

I already know what kind of responses this will get. I'm just trying to gauge the numbers in each camp.

Wow - I've read this twice and I am just not sure what exactly you are poking at here. To me a 180 acre city park is just plain HUGE. I really don't worry too much about what others think of my cache hides. I place things that I would like to find with my kids. Simple.

So what if it could hold 9? Just because it can doesn't mean it should. Anyway there could also be the chance that there are more caches in the park. They just might be finals to a multi or a mystery cache. If you are having a hard time to fit caches in then you shouldn't be putting caches there.

So what if it could hold 9? Just because it can doesn't mean it should. Anyway there could also be the chance that there are more caches in the park. They just might be finals to a multi or a mystery cache. If you are having a hard time to fit caches in then you shouldn't be putting caches there.

This ^^^ :D many thumbs up

And as said if done correctly they can all be quality hides

The cache saturation guideline calls for a minimum separation of .1 mile. If the caches meet the guidelines then they get published. If others have issues with that, so what? They can choose to find or ignore these hides.

I've seen quality caches placed .1 mile apart, I've seen crappy caches placed .1 mile apart.

I'm not really sure what the OP's point is, and since he's deleted most of his follow up comments I doubt we ever really get an explanation. Heck, I cannot even tell if they are the owner or the complainer, or merely an interested observer. :unsure:

If looking for cache saturation try this. Stewart State Forest, NY.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=41.498533&lng=-74.165017

There are a lot of cache in that park, but satutarated? It looks like 90% of the caches are right along the road. I don't it just kind of seems odd to me to go to a park with that much green space and never travel more than 100' from a paved road.

Stewart State Park, NY

There is no automobile access, it is foot or bike or snowmobile in winter. The roads and trails are not clearly defined in some areas , so it it a fun place to get lost in.

[

The park is 6700 total acres, the roads are not really road, there are 22 miles of fire roads, 18 miles of trails. It is prime biking area and the roads are not paved and there are no houses, buidlings, stores or the like, it is hardly saturated, I have been there on mtn bike a couple of times and haven't even put a dent in it. The caching is largely along the fire roads and trails because it is a big area for hunters.

Edited by Packanack

Thanks, but not my point. Don't want to put more there. Want to stop being bothered by someone who does such and then complains that my number of hides of about 40-50 in 24 sq. mile area is too much. Hypocritical, non-existent rule enforcing, anal type syndrome. Just venting. Sorry.

If looking for cache saturation try this. Stewart State Forest, NY.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=41.498533&lng=-74.165017

There are a lot of cache in that park, but satutarated? It looks like 90% of the caches are right along the road. I don't it just kind of seems odd to me to go to a park with that much green space and never travel more than 100' from a paved road.

Thanks for that link! That is pretty dense by New York standards, and I'm from New York like NYPaddleCacher. I'm sure he will tell you New York is not a particularly cache dense State. :lol:

Back when I started caching, you young whippersnappers, nearby Harriman State Park was know throughout the Northeast for a crazy number of caches, many placed by the since deceased Bigbil6. Looks rather ordinary by today's standards. Still a great place to hike though.

Oh, OK on topic. I'll be honest Zerpersande. If a newer person comes along and hides a large number of caches, and has a high hide to find ratio, they are going to raise eyebrows amongst the established caching community. I just happen to have a new 85 find 35 hide cacher in my area, and he comes up frequently in conversations with other cachers. Although that is generally because of his very poor cache container choices. If they don't like your hides, they can ignore them. Please use quality containers though. :P

...Now if such a person were to also be complaining in an angry, insulting manner about the 'quality' of caches left by others????

I can't hear them complaining when I go find them. But I also know if I enjoyed the hide or not. My experience is that the biggest whiners aren't any better than anyone else but the ones who love this hobby and lose sleep thinking about awesome hide do get some awesome hides out there. They can have the whole park. The whiner...is probably hiding micro's anyway and I filter then out of my searches and will keep doing so until I've found them all.