The impossible day?

Rustynails

when you talk about a 24hr periode, it is NOT the same as a full DATE !!

a 24hr periode just go from what ever time, and then 24hr forward..

a full DATE start at 00:00:00 and end at 23:59:59

it is NOT the same challenge, and not the same logged caches on your stats.

Some smaller PT are (here) located on trails whare cars are NOT aloved,

so they can only be handeled by cycle or by foot.

I did one smaller PT last week, wife dropped my of at the start, and picked me up the the end,

where normal roads cross.

I did find it very fast and smart to jog a bit, since walking was too slow,

the 161 meters distance is perfect for me, and the little brake to open and sign also perfect,

then start to jog again. this was very fast and easy,

compared to the energy spend on : car door, getting in and out of a car,

starting the car, navigating, talking about bla bla, stop again, open door out..

well maybe it is about the same energy you use ?

anyone speeping or eating is not participating, this means he is not finding caches,

In various other threads, several other people also have mentioned the need to sleep and eat as significant impediments to quickly finishing a 24-hour numbers run. I'm not sure why.

Put some sandwiches and beverages in a cooler, and you don't even have to stop at a fast food restaurant. As for sleeping, I had no problem staying awake for 24 hours while studying a textbook by myself. It's even easier while doing a physical activity with a group.

anyone speeping or eating is not participating, this means he is not finding caches,
In various other threads, several other people also have mentioned the need to sleep and eat as significant impediments to quickly finishing a 24-hour numbers run. I'm not sure why.

Put some sandwiches and beverages in a cooler, and you don't even have to stop at a fast food restaurant. As for sleeping, I had no problem staying awake for 24 hours while studying a textbook by myself. It's even easier while doing a physical activity with a group.

Yeah, I don't get that objection either. When friends describe their numbers runs, there is no mention of any sleep during the numbers run. (Afterwards, yes. But not during.) And I've been on a lot of group geocache hunts where someone was eating/drinking during the hike/search. That didn't stop them from being involved in all the finds too.

I did a short 20 cache ego art near Las Vegas where the caches were .1 miles apart. It was fairly flat and easy to walk and took me 41 minutes. That is a pace I know I could maintain for 12 hours so in 24 hours it would be about 720 caches.

I do walk fairly fast so if someone could maintain that ace for 24 hours r be even quicker I don't know.

I know you're talking about a bicycle here but I would think that to maximise the number of finds (where one finder retrieves and signs every cache personally) it may be better to do the trail as a motorcycle passenger, better acceleration & deceleration and no need to keep opening and closing doors; that's always assuming you don't fall asleep and drop off the back :lol:

I know you're talking about a bicycle here but I would think that to maximise the number of finds (where one finder retrieves and signs every cache personally) it may be better to do the trail as a motorcycle passenger, better acceleration & deceleration and no need to keep opening and closing doors; that's always assuming you don't fall asleep and drop off the back :lol:

I think opening and closing the door took about 2 seconds/cache, doesn't seem like much but every second/cache on the E.T. Highway is worth 33 minutes.

Roman wrote: I cache with other people often and when one of us finds a cache that person usually signs the group in since we are all the and involved in the find thus I think group logging a power trail is OK

I don't have a problem with group signing in that way with all being present at the cache. What I was trying to compare the team signing (in different locations at the same time) with was the leap frogging method of doing PT'S where only every 3rd cache is visited by one on the team. Like the videos listed where leap frogging and throwdowns were being used. As I said before, I would not enjoy doing it that way but "EACH TO THEIR OWN." That is what is nice about caching, we can all play it the way we want.

I enjoy seeing my numbers grow, but do not feel like doing it with PT's, but if you enjoy them--GO GO IT. Probably the longest PT I have done was one consisting of about 15 caches. :lol:

Roman wrote: I cache with other people often and when one of us finds a cache that person usually signs the group in since we are all the and involved in the find thus I think group logging a power trail is OK

I don't have a problem with group signing in that way with all being present at the cache. What I was trying to compare the team signing (in different locations at the same time) with was the leap frogging method of doing PT'S where only every 3rd cache is visited by one on the team. Like the videos listed where leap frogging and throwdowns were being used. As I said before, I would not enjoy doing it that way but "EACH TO THEIR OWN." That is what is nice about caching, we can all play it the way we want.

I enjoy seeing my numbers grow, but do not feel like doing it with PT's, but if you enjoy them--GO GO IT. Probably the longest PT I have done was one consisting of about 15 caches. :lol:

i think most "teams" that do a power trail visit every GZ together be it the person running to sign the cache or te driver pulling over by it, this to me is ok. I agree leapfrogging or any method where the entire team is not present nearby when the ache s logged is cheating.

I don't have a problem with group signing in that way with all being present at the cache.

Neither do I. I do almost all my caching by myself, but a few years ago I went out with five others to hit a couple of rural primitive parks that had a small cluster of cache in each. I was the one that found the cache on maybe 1/4 of the finds that day but was standing within a few feet of a few of them as someone else in the group put my name down on the log sheet. We found nine caches that day. I just don't see how doing something like on nine caches is anything like getting 1000 or more finds in a day for driving a vehicle from cache to cache.

i think most "teams" that do a power trail visit every GZ together be it the person running to sign the cache or te driver pulling over by it, this to me is ok. I agree leapfrogging or any method where the entire team is not present nearby when the ache s logged is cheating.

Leapfrogging gives me a road rash as well.

Lets say a group go coaching Four in one car , later the Day one gets tired take a sleep,

The otters lets him sleep, While they find a few,

I just expect we all agree the sleeping person is not written in the caches found while he sleept !

Even if the car was parked 1 foot away from the cache...

Ok same rules apply to powertrails , ok ?

I don't have a problem with group signing in that way with all being present at the cache.

Neither do I. I do almost all my caching by myself, but a few years ago I went out with five others to hit a couple of rural primitive parks that had a small cluster of cache in each. I was the one that found the cache on maybe 1/4 of the finds that day but was standing within a few feet of a few of them as someone else in the group put my name down on the log sheet. We found nine caches that day. I just don't see how doing something like on nine caches is anything like getting 1000 or more finds in a day for driving a vehicle from cache to cache.

If its ok once or nine times then it has to be ok 1000 times.

Lets say a group go coaching Four in one car , later the Day one gets tired take a sleep,

I just expect we all agree the sleeping person is not written in the caches found while he sleept !

I have cached with a bear, a hawk and a few other birds, a nittany lion, a fox, but never an otter. ;)

No I don't agree. If a group is caching together for a very long day, there's no issue with someone grabbing a cat nap along the route. On most of these park n grab caches only 1-2 people are getting out of the car at any given stop anyway. What does it matter if the remaining person is awake or asleep?

I have cached with a bear, a hawk and a few other birds, a nittany lion, a fox, but never an otter. ;)

No I don't agree. If a group is caching together for a very long day, there's no issue with someone grabbing a cat nap along the route. On most of these park n grab caches only 1-2 people are getting out of the car at any given stop anyway. What does it matter if the remaining person is awake or asleep?

Ya'll tell me the next time you go out on a cache run. I'll sleep here at home during that time and then claim that i found the ones you all found.

Yeah i know that's goofy thinking but for the most part, it's what's happening whether the person is in the vehicle or at home. Except for maybe knowing that all the caches are hidden in exactly the same way on the power trail, they don't know where the caches are that they slept through. They never saw them. If someone asked where they were after the run, would they be able to tell them? They'd have to say no, which indicates to me that they never found them in the first place.

Ya'll tell me the next time you go out on a cache run. I'll sleep here at home during that time and then claim that i found the ones you all found.

Yeah i know that's goofy thinking but for the most part, it's what's happening whether the person is in the vehicle or at home. Except for maybe knowing that all the caches are hidden in exactly the same way on the power trail, they don't know where the caches are that they slept through. They never saw them. If someone asked where they were after the run, would they be able to tell them? They'd have to say no, which indicates to me that they never found them in the first place.

Yeah, I went on a cache machine and slept through over half of the caches. I only logged the ones that I remembered. There were a few that I didn't walk to, and if they were away from the car and I didn't see the cache, I didn't log them either.

If I don't get out of the car and become actively involved with the hunt, I don't log the find, asleep or awake. To me doing so would be a short step from armchair caching. Even if I get out, if I stand there and chat while others hunt the cache, I wouldn't feel comfortable logging a find. I don't need to physically find the cache to log a find, but I need to feel I'm a part of a team effort and to me that means

picking up rocks, poking around stumps and feeling under guardrails with everyone else. I have no quarrel with anyone who believes differently, but that's my personal ethic. I'm sure there are others who may have stricter ethics than my own. Whatever floats your bass boat.

If I don't get out of the car and become actively involved with the hunt, I don't log the find, asleep or awake. To me doing so would be a short step from armchair caching. Even if I get out, if I stand there and chat while others hunt the cache, I wouldn't feel comfortable logging a find. I don't need to physically find the cache to log a find, but I need to feel I'm a part of a team effort and to me that means

picking up rocks, poking around stumps and feeling under guardrails with everyone else. I have no quarrel with anyone who believes differently, but that's my personal ethic. I'm sure there are others who may have stricter ethics than my own. Whatever floats your bass boat.

On Route 66 I could spot more than half the cache locations from the car and there really is no searching, in fact if you were with a group id bet thered be many caches that were found before you even got out of the car, there were a few we actually grabbed from the car, so wouldn't the driver be as much involved in the find as the guy grabbing the cache. Having an efficient driver that can stop as close as possible is vital in saving hours.

Even though I did go to every cache I believe the driver is critical and deserves a find in these cases.

If its ok once or nine times then it has to be ok 1000 times.

I disagree. Container swapping and leap frogging are considered okay on some power trails. Try doing that on a cache that isn't part of a PT and most cache owners are going to delete your logs.

Nine finds represents .78% of my total finds. Someone could drive a vehicle for a day while a couple of other people ran out and "found" containers, and signed logs, and at the and of the day, have 1300-1500 "finds" (a few hundred more than what my Find Count shows after five years), without ever actually touching a container.

You can do that already, but most people preface those logs with "greetings from Germany". If you want to make bogus find claims that's between you and the cache owner. Now that's goofy thinking.

I'm not talking about a nice afternoon of caching for 3-4 hours. I'm talking about runs with a team that last 18+ hours. I've got no problems claiming finds on the ones we stopped at while I napped, or while I was driving or jumping and someone else was napping in the car. We're in it as a team, and different team members fill different functions.

And if you want to quiz me, the answer for find #824 will be the same as for #248 or #428 on those mega runs-in the desert under some rocks. :lol:

My calculations, at 3mph it takes you 2 minutes to walk 1/10th a mile. I figure if the cache is in the open, 1 minute to sign. Thus 20 an hour or 480 a day. Minus in food breaks and resting. I bet some endurance athlete could probably do 600+ without tricks.

I've always wondered about how many you could do on a bicycle in a day, since I like to use a bicycle to find geocaches. I'd figure 45 seconds between caches including the time to mount your bike and dismount, 1 minute to find and sign log.

As I posted I did 20 caches in 41 minutes at a very maintainable pace, one I know I could keep up for 12 hours. As one could eat and drink while walking I think for someone that is very fit 6-700 caches would be doable in one day

Cycling, I'd guess 1000 and if you had a team of 6 driving (and running) I think 2400 would be possible without leapfrogging.

Edited by Roman!

It's only possible if they didn't sign the logs and leapfrogged to each individual cache without any breaks. Technically doable, but not practical or likely.

Based on my experience I disagree, 100 caches/hour is a pace an organized team could maintain without leapfrogging and signing every single log at GZ.

It's only possible if they didn't sign the logs and leapfrogged to each individual cache without any breaks. Technically doable, but not practical or likely.

Based on my experience I disagree, 100 caches/hour is a pace an organized team could maintain without leapfrogging and signing every single log at GZ.

Am in agreement with Roman

Edited by humboldt flier
I just don't see how doing something like on nine caches is anything like getting 1000 or more finds in a day for driving a vehicle from cache to cache.
Let's say that I go canoe-caching with a couple friends. Two of us (the big, strong ones with canoeing experience) do all the paddling, while the third (the small, light, nimble one) does all the work retrieving, signing, and replacing the caches. Let's say that all three of us log the finds online.

Is this okay if the cache handler never leaves the canoe? If the cache handler often leaves the canoe, but is always near the canoe? If the cache handler stays within sight of the canoe? If the cache handler is never out of sight of the canoe for more than a few minutes? If the cache handler is out of sight of the canoe for more than a few minutes? Where would you draw the line for a "normal" geocaching trip?

Does it matter how many caches we found on this trip? Does it matter how many cache handlers are in the group, or how many people are paddling? Does it matter whether we rotate duties, so some of us paddle some of the time and handle caches some of the time? Does it matter if the vehicle isn't a canoe, but is a motor boat, or is a car driving down a desert highway?

I'm not a fan of numbers run trails, but I try to avoid applying rules to numbers runs that I wouldn't apply to "normal" geocaching. If it's okay for a group that's finding half a dozen caches together, then it should be okay for a group that's finding hundreds of caches together.

WOW: 1502 caches in a day. Who really cares!!

When I was first introduced to this great game in February of 2007 I was at the Fly Fishing Expo in Calgary with a friend who was a cacher.

He showed me some of the niceties of the activity & I was successful in finding 2 caches that were close by.

A week or so later we went out & spent a full day seeking caches in a gorgeous environment along the Bow River.

We were able to find all 17 of the caches that we looked for.

I will guarantee you that we had more fun than you PT seekers will ever see.

Just my humble opinion.

WOW: 1502 caches in a day. Who really cares!!

When I was first introduced to this great game in February of 2007 I was at the Fly Fishing Expo in Calgary with a friend who was a cacher.

He showed me some of the niceties of the activity & I was successful in finding 2 caches that were close by.

A week or so later we went out & spent a full day seeking caches in a gorgeous environment along the Bow River.

We were able to find all 17 of the caches that we looked for.

I will guarantee you that we had more fun than you PT seekers will ever see.

Just my humble opinion.

Having done both some amazing hikes to amazing locations and now a power trail to I guarantee you are wrong, I had an amazing time with my kids doing Route 66, an experience no day out hiking with friends can compare to.

They are both different experiences, some prefer one to the other, I liked both and enjoyed each differently. I suggest trying one before guaranteeing anything.

Wonderful that you were able to do it with your kids & I appreciate your opinion.

I don't have any kids and was just relating an experience that I had with a buddy.

No big PT's where I live.

Happy Caching.

I didn't understand this line: I will guarantee you that we had more fun than you PT seekers will ever see.

Sounds like your putting down people who don't play the way you like, I've had many awesome experiences geocaching, one happens to be on a power trail.

I've done it with time to spare, and on the ET highway. Many occurances of caches within 30 seconds of each other... even a few times we found 3 in the same minute on the clock. So fast at times it was tough to keep up with the 'found it' button.

The weak at heart should not attempt it.

The brakes smelled really bad.