Another Appropriate Swag Question

Let me start off by saying this question is for a friend and not for myself. She would like to know if used and empty (not live) shot gun shells would be appropriate swag.

I guess my question would be does this person want to find and collect used and empty shells for themselves? If so then yeah, it's okay.

Let me start off by saying this question is for a friend and not for myself. She would like to know if used and empty (not live) shot gun shells would be appropriate swag.

I guess my question would be does this person want to find and collect used and empty shells for themselves? If so then yeah, it's okay.

I think half the fun of swag is just finding an assortment of stuff. I don't really give and take much sway myself but it's fun to see different things in there. A spent shell? Heck, why not. How about an empty Dirty Harry .44 mag shell??

I think half the fun of swag is just finding an assortment of stuff. I don't really give and take much sway myself but it's fun to see different things in there. A spent shell? Heck, why not. How about an empty Dirty Harry .44 mag shell??

Keep in mind that when someone asks in the forum "is this okay?" They might really mean "How is this okay?" One person's treasure, eh?

I think that if you have a problem with any swag, regardless of what the community says, religious, political, commercial, improper etc. you can remove it without justification provided you trade even or up.

What's even trade? Well that's up to you now ain't it? Best to trade up in my opinion.

can you reload shotgun shells? I'd think the plastic would deteriorate. but yes to most they would be trash. Now some empty rifle shells-larger ones-engraved with cacher's name would make Sig item that I'd like.

Yes...You can reload shotgun shells. Depending on the shell, you could probably get 5 reloads out of them.

Besides that - anyone who reloads ammunition, probably will not pickup stray shells. You don't know where its been and although, you can 'inspect' its condition....there's a certain safety concern with those strays. My husband would never pickup stray shells. He reloads only the shells we buy.

It is NOT appropriate swag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you reload shotgun shells? I'd think the plastic would deteriorate. but yes to most they would be trash. Now some empty rifle shells-larger ones-engraved with cacher's name would make Sig item that I'd like.

Yes...You can reload shotgun shells. Depending on the shell, you could probably get 5 reloads out of them.

Besides that - anyone who reloads ammunition, probably will not pickup stray shells. You don't know where its been and although, you can 'inspect' its condition....there's a certain safety concern with those strays. My husband would never pickup stray shells. He reloads only the shells we buy.

Well obviously they wouldn't be meant to be reloaded, anyone with the knowledge and equipment to reload them would know not to. So I am not sure where all of the hostility is coming from.

She was thinking of it as more of a signature item, she loves to go to the range and shoot, and I'm sure there are other geocachers out there that enjoy spending time at the range. She also said that she would enjoy collecting shells from caches if someone else left them as swag.

And as far as family friendly, we both said that our parents would have let us collect spent shells and she would let her children collect them too.

I just found a cache today that the container was a used shell. It was open ended of course, with the log/bag sticking out the end. :S Not the best, IMO.

The ones that I make have the primers removed and hair pins epoxyed in place that are attached to the other end of a shot shell casing with fishing line. They make nice containers once painted or camo taped, but are not water tight. :ph34r:

Yes, I collect them. I have a nice collection on my shelf.

Of course I know exactly what weapon each one came from and the country of orgin, it's not just a bunch of scrap brass found in a piece of tupperware in the woods.

I spent 24 years in the Army and have been a licensed gunsmith for 6 years now and collect them as a hobby. Even I would think U/I brass in cache would be junk. Signed casings is a sig item would be fine. A whole bag o' brass... that would be a bag of money for me.

As a gunsmith I will never reload a shotgun shell if I don't know where it came from.

I do custom loads for hunters and sport shooters. They bring me their empty shells that they bought from me and I will reload them after I inspect them. I will NOT reload a shell I didn't make to start with or that has any signs of dirt of crosion that might indicate that it may have been laying around somewhere for too long.

I would never even think of reloading a shell from a cache, even if started life as one of mine.

Well obviously they wouldn't be meant to be reloaded, anyone with the knowledge and equipment to reload them would know not to. So I am not sure where all of the hostility is coming from.

She was thinking of it as more of a signature item, she loves to go to the range and shoot, and I'm sure there are other geocachers out there that enjoy spending time at the range. She also said that she would enjoy collecting shells from caches if someone else left them as swag.

And as far as family friendly, we both said that our parents would have let us collect spent shells and she would let her children collect them too.

Mark them someway so they will be a sig item and I would love to have one. I already have a couple of casing that are sig items. I have a .223 and a .44 mag casing; both of which are etched with the cachers name. Otherwise I would see it as junk.

There are caches on the wildlife area just out outside of town here. Waterfolw and dove hunters sometimes find some of the cache and will drop in a casing. I see them as no better than a hiker dropping in a rock.

Sounds like you made up your mind prior to starting the thread. To me, it's trash, and not something I think would be good for kids, but everyone has their own opinion. In the end, if your friend thinks it's good swag, it's her choice to use it.

If I found one in one of the caches I own, I'd remove it as trash.

Hey, at one point in time my progeny used to collect the tabs from aluminum cans. The green ones from Monster energy drinks were particularly prized. For someone that does not shoot, it could be a unique find. So long as it is clean and safe I see no issues with shotgun shells in a cache. I would not trade for it, but that's just me.

Mark them someway so they will be a sig item and I would love to have one.[...] Otherwise I would see it as junk.
+1

The only things I trade for are personal signature items left by other geocachers.

A signature item made from an acorn? Great! A random acorn? Junk.

A signature item made from a spent shell? Great! A random spent shell? Junk.

A signature item made from a rock? Great! A random rock? Junk.

A signature item made from a bottle cap? Great! A random bottle cap? Junk.