Cache Without Description

jlinbu

Is writing a description a mandatory part of listing a cache? A traditional cache was listed today with no description, hint or the like.

No, I don't think a write-up is required.

Not the first time I've seen a completely blank cache page for a non-puzzle cache.

I would rather see a blank page than a write-up of poor spelling and grammar that doesn't make any sense.

B.

Could've been accidental. A lot of people prep there papges by typing them out in Word etc. maybe they thought they hit paste but didn't and just moved to the next part. Who knows. Or it could have been intentional. Or it could be hidden in the source of the webpage. Lots of reasons this would be like this. You could email the CO and ask. But that might be a little overboard, dunno.

Edited by Arndtwe

We put out three caches on a walking trail in town. They were a little tricky but not too difficult to find. I decided not to give any hints and figured I would call them No hints available. But if they had no hint, maybe I should give no information. So that is what I did.

PAul

I have found several of these over the years. The first batch were all called Minimalist, and the inside joke was that your log was supposed to just be a single punctuation mark. Recently I have seen a few more, but these are just simple PNG put out by newer cachers. I guess they don't have anything worthwhile to say about their hides?

As a reviewer, I cannot hold up publication of a traditional cache that otherwise meets the listing guidelines, but doesn't have a cache description. I can, however, take steps to confirm that (1) the cache is ready for review rather than being a "draft," and (2) the owner understands the consequences of their action (or lack thereof). So, I use the following reviewer note template:

Hello, I am a volunteer for Geocaching.com, and I reviewed your cache. I noticed that your cache description was blank. Before continuing the review, I wanted to make sure that this listing is ready. It's customary to include some sort of comment about the location that you are featuring by hiding a cache, describing the cache container, listing the cache contents, and/or giving any special instructions. While not required, a good cache description can help in attracting visitors to your geocache.

Please write back to confirm that your cache is ready for review. A cache that is in "draft" form can be hidden from the list of caches awaiting review by a site volunteer, if you do not enable the listing.

We have two in our area, both by the same CO. A NEWBIE. Well not sure if I even call them that. 0 finds.

1st one went live Sept 29th. http://coord.info/GC3XQWA Blank description and no hint. A friend and I went to check it out. We checked the trees, the fences, the bench, the dirt and came up empty handed. No response from the CO. We assumed it being a newbie they may have submitted it by mistake before placing it. Reviewer disabled it. Still no response from CO. I can see they have logged in but no reaction.

This morning the 2nd one came up.http://coord.info/GC3YEXN CO still has 0 finds, cache page is blank of description and hint.

When I do the new cache page set up, it gives you a warning about any disabled ones you have. Guess this CO doesn't care.

Going to try to find it on my way to work if it doesn't rain.

We have two in our area, both by the same CO. A NEWBIE. Well not sure if I even call them that. 0 finds.

1st one went live Sept 29th. http://coord.info/GC3XQWA Blank description and no hint. A friend and I went to check it out. We checked the trees, the fences, the bench, the dirt and came up empty handed. No response from the CO. We assumed it being a newbie they may have submitted it by mistake before placing it. Reviewer disabled it. Still no response from CO. I can see they have logged in but no reaction.

This morning the 2nd one came up.http://coord.info/GC3YEXN CO still has 0 finds, cache page is blank of description and hint.

When I do the new cache page set up, it gives you a warning about any disabled ones you have. Guess this CO doesn't care.

Going to try to find it on my way to work if it doesn't rain.

Update the second cache was found by a friend before I even tried. But the 1st one is still unfound.