Another Stupid Bomb Squad Story

geocat_

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/local/pipe-bomb-like-device-found-on-dayton-street/nSKtb/

Here's what another cacher posted in a Facebook group that caught my eye...

The bomb squad was called to our neighborhood today after reports of a pipe bomb. It was the geocache that we found yesterday, ha! :) My husband was out there & told the police what it was, and showed them the picture of us holding it yesterday. They used their bomb robot to retrieve it & blow it up, then told my husband that he was right, it WAS the geocache. Crazy stuff :) It's on Fox 45 this evening!

So what I want to know is when will COs stop making things that look like bombs??? This type of publicity is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad for Geocaching bad_boy_a.gif

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/local/pipe-bomb-like-device-found-on-dayton-street/nSKtb/

The bomb squad was called to our neighborhood today after reports of a pipe bomb. It was the geocache that we found yesterday, ha! :) My husband was out there & told the police what it was, and showed them the picture of us holding it yesterday. They used their bomb robot to retrieve it & blow it up, then told my husband that he was right, it WAS the geocache. Crazy stuff :) It's on Fox 45 this evening!

So what I want to know is when will COs stop making things that look like bombs??? This type of publicity is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad for Geocaching bad_boy_a.gif

Film cans looks like a bomb

Lock'n'Locks looks like a bomb

Ammo cans looks like a bomb

bison tubes looks like a bomb

Traffic counters looks like a bomb

Everything looks like a bomb to the bomb squad.

http://www.whiotv.co...n-street/nSKtb/

Film cans looks like a bomb

Lock'n'Locks looks like a bomb

Ammo cans looks like a bomb

bison tubes looks like a bomb

Traffic counters looks like a bomb

Everything looks like a bomb to the bomb squad.

I agree to a point, but this was a PVC pipe sealed at both ends, wrapped in duct tape (silver) and placed on a GR. Probably looked more like a bomb than most. There were even suggestions in 3 of the logs...

"Found it. Kind of a questionable container though, someone might think its a pipe bomb! "

"A suggestion for the CO. You might consider placing a geocache label on the outside of the container. I'm just thinking of a muggle stumbling upon this cache and not knowing what it is, calling the bomb squad. "

"The container was surprisingly bigger than I thought it was going to be, and its a good candidate for one of those "mysterious container detonated by dayton bomb squad" headlines in the news. It could probably use some sort of label on the outside so people know its a geocache right away."

News page just updated with this info...

From police:

“It ended up being just a hoax device. There was no explosive found inside it. It was piece of PVC that had two end caps. It was a fake pipe bomb.”

There was some paperwork inside the pipe, which made police believe the device may have been part of some sort of scavenger hunt, Beavers said.

Even though it was a hoax device, Beavers said police could pursue charges because the device put fear in the neighborhood and the incident tied up police, who have to respond to reports of suspected explosive devices, close streets and in some cases evacuate residences.

Even though it was a hoax device, Beavers said police could pursue charges because the device put fear in the neighborhood and the incident tied up police, who have to respond to reports of suspected explosive devices, close streets and in some cases evacuate residences.

Oh, good grief!! "Hoax device"? And I'll believe the pursue charges thing when the DA says it.

I'd say that Sgt Beavers is simply trying to save face.

Oh, good grief!! "Hoax device"? And I'll believe the pursue charges thing when the DA says it.

I doubt any charges will be filed. Just sounds good to say so.tongue.gif

When I read that, I thought he was on a high horse or something.

....The bomb squad was called to our neighborhood today after reports of a pipe bomb. It was the geocache that we found yesterday, ha! :) My husband was out there & told the police what it was, and showed them the picture of us holding it yesterday. They used their bomb robot to retrieve it & blow it up, then told my husband that he was right, it WAS the geocache. Crazy stuff :)

09 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

....Here's a bit of free education for those who are curious about the thought process involved in detonating an IED:

Folks join explosive ordinance disposal teams for one reason: They like blowing stuff up. I've had the pleasure of dealing with numerous EOD teams from numerous jurisdictions, and that one single factor is their greatest draw. Those folks who love blowing stuff up the most are the ones who stick with it long enough to participate in setting policy. The end result is, if an EOD team responds, something's getting demolished. It tickles me to no end to be amongst these guys when they are discussing a suspect package.

"Have you identified it?"

"Yes Sir, it's a box of pears."

"What's the game plan?"

"We're gonna trigger it......duh"

Why did you just show the picture? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to prove this thing was safe by retrieving it and showing them the log and everything else inside? By the way, now it has been blown up, has the cache had their NM or NA log posted?

Why did you just show the picture? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to prove this thing was safe by retrieving it and showing them the log and everything else inside? By the way, now it has been blown up, has the cache had their NM or NA log posted?

Do you really believe the bomb squad would let a civilian walk up and open what they believe to be a bomb? I think they were lucky to simply get the time to show them a picture. And I suspect the non-verbal response to the picture was something like, "Whatever... dry.gif"

News page just updated with this info...

From police:

“It ended up being just a hoax device. There was no explosive found inside it. It was piece of PVC that had two end caps. It was a fake pipe bomb.”

There was some paperwork inside the pipe, which made police believe the device may have been part of some sort of scavenger hunt, Beavers said.

Sounds all too familiar.

The cache has been archived :)

Yeah, so what was it? I just want to see if it has attained the usual status of the cache page turning into a forum, and the locals making kaboom jokes, and dissing the bomb squad for "overeacting".

Do you really believe the bomb squad would let a civilian walk up and open what they believe to be a bomb? I think they were lucky to simply get the time to show them a picture. And I suspect the non-verbal response to the picture was something like, "Whatever... dry.gif"

All I know is the Green Bay, Wisconsin bomb squad wouldn't even let a Green Bay Fireman who was an avid Geocacher, and on location, do that! :) That one was probably about 3 years ago now.

I had a chat with a buddy of mine that works in the force in Southern Ontario. We actually talked about this as it had happen a week or so prior in Mississauga Ontario. He said that if the local bomb squad is called, something is going to get blown up.

I'm pretty sure the response will be similar in most areas. In the end, the one time those guys do let their guard down... it may not be a geocache. Besides, blowing stuff up legally sure looks like fun.

I had a chat with a buddy of mine that works in the force in Southern Ontario. We actually talked about this as it had happen a week or so prior in Mississauga Ontario. He said that if the local bomb squad is called, something is going to get blown up.

I'm pretty sure the response will be similar in most areas. In the end, the one time those guys do let their guard down... it may not be a geocache. Besides, blowing stuff up legally sure looks like fun.

Agreed. That has also been confirmed here in other bomb squad threads, and is pretty much demonstrated in Riff's great flow chart. Once the call is made, the dominos start tumbling, and sooner or later, that last domino is going to fall. That's when the cache goes "boom!"

I don't care that they blew it up. It really is the only way they can cover their buts. What do you think the public's response would be if they didn't detonate it and it turned out to be a "device"? As extremely unlikely as that is it is still possible.

What really bothers me is the threat of prosecution. Heck, it isn't even a "hoax device" as that implies intent to make it look like a bomb. It's unfortunate and the CO probably should know better but I certainly don't see any intent to deceive and/or panic the public. Did they threaten the DOT employee that placed the traffic counter? It's ridiculous.

I am very suprised that no one put a NA on this cache before the bomb squad took care of it.

If I got wind of a cache like that in this area, I'd find it and NA it if it was indeed a pipe in the city.

I know a couple like this in the bush. The first one that comes to mind has 2 Geocaching labels on it, and it's deep in the bush.

There were a bunch of warnings on that cache page leading up to the detonation. Lots of foreshadowing going through the logs.

"The container was surprisingly bigger than I thought it was going to be, and its a good candidate for one of those "mysterious container detonated by dayton bomb squad" headlines in the news."

And we have a winner!

"Love this container! Seems like it'd hold up through just about anything. tftc"

Except the bomb squad.

"A suggestion for the CO. You might consider placing a geocache label on the outside of the container. I'm just thinking of a muggle stumbling upon this cache and not knowing what it is, calling the bomb squad. "

Done.

"Found it. Kind of a questionable container though, someone might think its a pipe bomb!"

They did.

They probably wouldn't, but it would prove a lot more than just holding up a picture.
From police:

"It ended up being just a hoax device.There was no explosive found inside it. It was piece of PVC that had two end caps. It was a fake pipe bomb.”

Read: We need to assure the locals it was not really a bomb.

Read: Heads-up local Geocachers...it was indeed a cache but we won't call you out.

Read: Normally I wouldn't take the time to offer these details but I want to alert any dumbass Geocachers who still don't get it that yes, I can pursue charges (no matter what you've heard on that forum).

The closest cache to this situation is this one. I dont think its the same one. I got a feeling the cache is archived or it belong to another site.

The name of the park near by got my attention. Bomberger park. :laughing:

And the "bennetesque" caches are Altoids tins on GRs so I hope that isn't scary enough to get a similar response.

There were a bunch of warnings on that cache page leading up to the detonation. Lots of foreshadowing going through the logs.

"The container was surprisingly bigger than I thought it was going to be, and its a good candidate for one of those "mysterious container detonated by dayton bomb squad" headlines in the news."

And we have a winner!

"Love this container! Seems like it'd hold up through just about anything. tftc"

Except the bomb squad.

Done.

"Found it. Kind of a questionable container though, someone might think its a pipe bomb!"

They did.

Actually, I count 3 warnings about the container. On the other hand, I count more than twice as many logs praising the container. A couple examples:

5,700 finds: "I loved the container!"

6,900 finds: "A very cool container!"

I also found it kinda cute it was a "published before the cache was placed hide". :unsure: The first placement of a very casual cacher who hadn't logged in since April 2012. Of course they've probably logged in by now. :)

They probably wouldn't, but it would prove a lot more than just holding up a picture.

I don't get it: If they won't let you do it, how can it prove more than what they will let you do (show them a picture)? :blink:

Strange the article says "fake pipe bomb found on the street" On the STREET? Was that a made up story or did someone not put it back right or someone found it and dropped it in the street?

NA log says "this article probably covers it as well as CO not been on since April."

From what I see either the CO was asleep since April and just woke up or the cacher who wrote that NA didn't bother checking the CO recently logged on. Someone told me if you use a smartphone it doesn't show any activity from a cacher like logging on the profile or on the audit list. Who knows.

Someone mentioned the previous cachers said it was a clever cache? Well on "08/25/2012 :D Found it. Kind of a questionable container though, someone might think its a pipe bomb!"

We also don't know if someone replaced the cache with this one awhile ago.

I also noticed at the beginning the cache was 30 to 50ft off (depending on if found or placed with an iphone) then later it seemed to have good coords with no log showing coords were moved unless they deleted the log.

So many things. Maybe that wasn't the container the owner put out.

So don't accuse unless you know the facts.

Edited by jellis

Strange the article says "fake pipe bomb” found on the street" On the STREET? Was that a made up story or did someone not put it back right or someone found it and dropped it in the street?

NA log says "this article probably covers it as well as CO not been on since April."

From what I see either the CO was asleep since April and just woke up or the cacher who wrote that NA didn't bother checking the CO recently logged on. Someone told me if you use a smartphone it doesn't show any activity from a cacher like logging on the profile or on the audit list. Who knows.

Someone mentioned the previous cachers said it was a clever cache? Well on "08/25/2012 :D Found it. Kind of a questionable container though, someone might think its a pipe bomb!"

I also noticed at the beginning the cache was 30 to 50ft off (depending on if found or placed with an iphone) then later it seemed to have good coords with no log showing coords were moved unless they deleted the log.

The CO just logged on today. This morning, the last time the CO was online was on April 1.

Strange the article says "fake pipe bomb” found on the street" On the STREET? Was that a made up story or did someone not put it back right or someone found it and dropped it in the street?

The CO just logged on today. This morning, the last time the CO was online was on April 1.

As I said just woke up such as someone who probably knows them contacted them.

One of the log said that someone might think its a pipe bomb and they were right...

Also, keep in mind that the news media always use words that isnt correct. Like, on the street when it wasnt. Its an attention grabber than anything else.

Love the flow chart!!!!!!!!!!!! :D it's sad but true.

Here's the part that I don't understand. If they are going to blow it up, and they know that they are going to blow it up, why does it usually take six hours to blow it up? Is just so they can complain that they had to evacuate the neighborhood for six hours?

One of the log said that someone might think its a pipe bomb and they were right...

Also, keep in mind that the news media always use words that isnt correct. Like, on the street when it wasnt. Its an attention grabber than anything else.

When asked where I grew up I say in Williamsville on Harding rd. That doesn't mean I grew up literally on the road. We lived in a house, just like everyone else on Harding Rd.

Here's the part that I don't understand. If they are going to blow it up, and they know that they are going to blow it up, why does it usually take six hours to blow it up? Is just so they can complain that they had to evacuate the neighborhood for six hours?

Because each step in the flowchart takes time and then must be confirmed and signed off on. Then reported to superiors who need to check the paperwork and sign off on it before granting permission to allow the next step to be ordered into implementation.It's called bureaucracy.

Someone mentioned the previous cachers said it was a clever cache?

<snip>

Some cachers will say that about any homemade container. I've found many caches that were claimed to be "clever" that were not particularly unique to somebody with a little caching experience. For that matter, I have one cache myself that is nothing more than a peanut butter jar painted the right shade of gray (gray auto primer) to come close to matching the concrete cinder blocks that it is hidden in, and I frequently get "GREAT CAMO!" logs on it... so many that I sometimes think I need to check up on it to make sure somebody hasn't thrown down a more clever container!

Because each step in the flowchart takes time and then must be confirmed and signed off on. Then reported to superiors who need to check the paperwork and sign off on it before granting permission to allow the next step to be ordered into implementation.It's called bureaucracy.

Its actually because they get paid more for the time that they spend on the project. If it gets detonated, the paperwork trail is much more involved and also generates more income, so of course its going to be blown up. Even though they may be 100 percent certain that it's a Geocache they are not going home after being called away from what they were doing. A few geocachers even said in their logs that it looks like a bomb. If a bomb squad tech reads that, and needs some extra cash, they can always have their buddy call it in.

They won't tell you the name of the person that reported it, and you won't find out the name of the cacher that hid it. Either person could have associations with them.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
From police:

Read: Normally I wouldn't take the time to offer these details but I want to alert any dumbass Geocachers who still don't get it that yes, I can pursue charges (no matter what you've heard on that forum).

Well, actually I think it's more like, "I want to alert any dumbass that we take fake bombs very seriously." While he may or may not be threatening geocachers to be more careful, I think his main goal here is to discourage anyone else thinking it sounds like fun to get the bomb squaud called out from doing it on purpose.

From police:

Well, actually I think it's more like, "I want to alert any dumbass that we take fake bombs very seriously." While he may or may not be threatening geocachers to be more careful, I think his main goal here is to discourage anyone else thinking it sounds like fun to get the bomb squaud called out from doing it on purpose.

Sure, he can press charges, but he knows that it would be a waste of his time because it would never go beyond that. It would be immediately obvious that this was not a "fake bomb" and that there was no intent to make it appear that way. If the DA wasn't smart enough to throw it out, surely the judge would never let it get far enough to be any more than a minor inconvenience to the cache owner. That statement was nothing but public face-saving.