Someone "logged" a find for my cache, when they didn't really find it

Online, this guy logged a "find" and in their note said it was missing. In a private message he sent me, he said he couldn't find the cache container under the skirt of the lamp post (even though that's not where I hid it), and that he could put a replacement there if I wanted. I sent a message back saying that I didn't put it under the light post skirt. I went back to the site and found my cache container still hidden where I had left it, and in addition to that a throw down container under the light pole skirt with this guy's name in it. Weeks later, that smiley face saying he had found it is still on my cache page.

What do you do in a situation like this? If he didn't find it and I put effort into my cache, I feel kind of uneasy having an extra smiley face on my cache page. At the same time, I don't want to create enemies, if I were to delete his online log with the smiley face. On his online log note, he said he cleaned out a wasps' nest using the geocache kit he carries with him, which means he probably a nice person and watches out for other peoples' caches. He's also marked one of my other caches as a "favorite". It's just that there's that extra smiley face which shouldn't be there.

What do you personally do in situations like this? I want to use tact if I delete a smiley face.

Online, this guy logged a "find" and in their note said it was missing. In a private message he sent me, he said he couldn't find the cache container under the skirt of the lamp post (even though that's not where I hid it), and that he could put a replacement there if I wanted. I sent a message back saying that I didn't put it under the light post skirt. I went back to the site and found my cache container still hidden where I had left it, and in addition to that a throw down container under the light pole skirt with this guy's name in it. Weeks later, that smiley face saying he had found it is still on my cache page.

What do you do in a situation like this? If he didn't find it and I put effort into my cache, I feel kind of uneasy having an extra smiley face on my cache page. At the same time, I don't want to create enemies, if I were to delete his online log with the smiley face. On his online log note, he said he cleaned out a wasps' nest using the geocache kit he carries with him, which means he probably a nice person and watches out for other peoples' caches. He's also marked one of my other caches as a "favorite". It's just that there's that extra smiley face which shouldn't be there.

What do you personally do in situations like this? I want to use tact if I delete a smiley face.

1. email him (you said guy, so I'm assuming) and say you checked on the cache, it is still there and that you removed his throw down. Thank him for his concern and invite him to remove his log and come back to find the real one.

2. If he doesn't respond, delete the log

3. Make sure you email through the site so the email trail is evident to Groundspeak if there are any questions.

Others may advise "don't sweat it"

I disagree, throw downs are bad for the sport

I haven't given it too much thought, but the guy sounds like a zealous helper (great misguided intentions). My private message to him would be:

Hey Joe, I checked on "Cool Cache" today and it's just where I placed it (not in the lamp post). I removed your container. I'll try to stop by your "Cooler Cache" sometime and drop it off. I also deleted your found it log on "Cool Cache" so you don't forget that it's still there to find.

Hapy caching...

I haven't given it too much thought, but the guy sounds like a zealous helper (great misguided intentions). My private message to him would be:

Hey Joe, I checked on "Cool Cache" today and it's just where I placed it (not in the lamp post). I removed your container. I'll try to stop by your "Cooler Cache" sometime and drop it off. I also deleted your found it log on "Cool Cache" so you don't forget that it's still there to find.

Hapy caching...

+1

Hapy caching...

I would send the above and start with "I just wanted to say I really appreciate your efforts to help and have seen you help out with other caches too. However..."

As much as I despise throw-downs, and those who throw them down, you don't really want to take a trip on the deleted log drama train, do you? :laughing: You've obviously had contact with him on this issue. I personally suggest firmly, yet kindly and gently telling him he didn't find your cache, and he really shouldn't have a found log on your cache page.

I'm sure he's a great guy, and thinks he's helping out. What throw-downer doesn't think they're "helping out"? Totally freaking misguided as they may be. :ph34r:

Hapy caching...

Something like that.

I would also remind your new friend that replacing caches because 'they think they are missing' and posting a found log isn't acceptable for your caches, nor in general for most people's caches.

>The time to delete the log was weeks ago.

where do you see this ?

In the OP. "Weeks later, that smiley face saying he had found it is still on my cache page."

I like The Incredibles addition to a nicely worded response that is educational and corrective. Send it and help prevent throwdowns.

I would delete his found it log he did not find the cache. I have deleted logs on my caches when people have post things like "I think I found part of the cache so it must be gone" when in fact the cache was not missing and the cacher was too lazy to do a complete search

1. email him (you said guy, so I'm assuming) and say you checked on the cache, it is still there and that you removed his throw down. Thank him for his concern and invite him to remove his log and come back to find the real one.

2. If he doesn't respond, delete the log

3. Make sure you email through the site so the email trail is evident to Groundspeak if there are any questions.

Others may advise "don't sweat it"

I disagree, throw downs are bad for the sport

And explain (in friendly, helpful terms) in that email why throwdowns are bad for the sport.