Not Happy

Ever since I signed up for alerts for new caches I've been receiving spam in my inbox,I've had this email for over a year and never received any spam in it,I use it mostly for alerts from my banks and such but figured I would have been safe with this site. If I knew I Groundspeak sold email addresses I would have made up a new one specifically for it. To say I'm not happy is putting it mildly,in all honesty I'm down right PISSED!!! :angry:

Ever since I signed up for alerts for new caches I've been receiving spam in my inbox,I've had this email for over a year and never received any spam in it,I use it mostly for alerts from my banks and such but figured I would have been safe with this site. If I knew I Groundspeak sold email addresses I would have made up a new one specifically for it. To say I'm not happy is putting it mildly,in all honesty I'm down right PISSED!!! :angry:

Im recieving emails for new caches too for nearly month but i dont get spamm (from other websites) i do get almost every day new placed caches in the environment of 20 miles but thats it.

How you discovered Groundspeak sold your address, I have no idea. You do realize you can get spam without ever using the address to sign up for anything, right? Try creating a new Hotmail account, wait a week, and see how many spam emails it receives. I had an email account when I worked for the Canadian Navy. That account was NEVER used for anything other than internal use. It was never used to sign up for anything on other sites. It would still receive spam emails about once a week.

How you discovered Groundspeak sold your address, I have no idea. You do realize you can get spam without ever using the address to sign up for anything, right? Try creating a new Hotmail account, wait a week, and see how many spam emails it receives. I had an email account when I worked for the Canadian Navy. That account was NEVER used for anything other than internal use. It was never used to sign up for anything on other sites. It would still receive spam emails about once a week.

Someone could find addresses using a program to check for available account names, and records the ones that have been taken. Apparently Hotmail makes it easy for them to do this.

If it wasn't for spam mail I would have never increased my size, got rich by helping that Nigerian prince, met many sexy singles, or found great deals across the net!

If it wasn't for spam mail I would have never increased my size, got rich by helping that Nigerian prince, met many sexy singles, or found great deals across the net!

dadgum, that was so funny I blew out some of my peanut butter sandwich onto the screen. Thanks alot.

It's really too bad that you're getting spam, but I'm with everyone else here. I've NEVER had any spam in the Gmail account I use for Geocaching. You must be a victim of coincidence.

I have a geocache in Nigeria listed on another site. The person that maintains it for me sent me a photo of themself holding a cardboard sign with the posted coordinates on it. :lol: We love Spam. :laughing:

Several years ago my brother created a new e-mail address. Within a few hours, and having not given the address to anyone, the first e-mail he received was spam. It can happen through a program that guesses at possible e-mail addresses and sends out en masse.

Another thing, could it be that you have had another similar email address? There are crawlers that scan web pages and find valid email such as abc@google.com and will spam not only that email, but also abc@yahoo.com, abc@hotmail.com, abc@aol.com, and a whole host of other popular email sites in case you have an account there as well.