[SUGGESTION] - Archived Caches

Jayloki

Just did a search of this forum to see if this may have been requested but it turned up empty.

On caches a CO archives: Make it so no other logs/notes can be posted once a cache has been archived.

Will certainly cut down on the "false" positives people STILL insist on logging even though a cache has been physically removed and archived.

Just did a search of this forum to see if this may have been requested but it turned up empty.

On caches a CO archives: Make it so no other logs/notes can be posted once a cache has been archived.

Will certainly cut down on the "false" positives people STILL insist on logging even though a cache has been physically removed and archived.

It's only happened to me once but I found a cache that had been archived in between the time I downloaded a PQ and the time I found it. The cache had *not* yet been physically removed and I only discovered that it had been archived after I got home and went to log it online. I know I'm not the only one that's done this so an auto lock on logging an archived caches as soon as it's archived would probably annoy a lot of people that put in the effort to find a cache, and sign the log. However, I could see adding the ability for a cache owner to lock their own archived cache once the container has been physically removed.

It will certainly cut down on the "false positives", but it will create "false negatives" in the process.

I've logged event caches after the owner had already archived them. I know people who are (or who have been) months behind on their online logs, but who are (or who were) slowly chipping away at the backlog. I know people who have split a shared account into separate accounts, and have posted backdated logs with the new accounts. And then there are situations like NYPaddleCacher described, where a cache is archived between the time someone retrieves the PQ data and logs the find.

Is the inconvenience of such "false negatives" (people automatically blocked from posting legitimate logs to archived caches) a reasonable price for ending whatever "false positives" exist?

we a cache in NZ (GCMJ1N) which was archives in error the cache is at Ground zero and is Maintenance also.

and is fun to get and log it.

If the cache has been Achived and remove the only person who is cheating is the Person who is loging the found

It will certainly cut down on the "false positives", but it will create "false negatives" in the process.

I've logged event caches after the owner had already archived them.

I should have specified "other then event" caches.

I know people who are (or who have been) months behind on their online logs, but who are (or who were) slowly chipping away at the backlog.

In this day and age of smart phones, they could log them right on the spot.

This will get them to post sooner. Think of it as "doing your taxes". You'll git er done on time!

Seriously, if they are "backlogged" THAT much, maybe they should take a day off caching. :blink:

Is the inconvenience of such "false negatives" (people automatically blocked from posting legitimate logs to archived caches) a reasonable price for ending whatever "false positives" exist?

Absolutely! That's why I suggested it.

I could see adding the ability for a cache owner to lock their own archived cache once the container has been physically removed.

Now there's a good idea. :)

I could see adding the ability for a cache owner to lock their own archived cache once the container has been physically removed.

Now there's a good idea. :)

It would be a good idea for the CO to be able to lock and unlock the archived cache. But NOT for lockings by others. That would allow 'slowpokes' to convince the CO to allow for some catch up logging once convinced of the reason/need.

Would take such a demand off of GS/GC who can do that now.

After a certain period of time, as people get used to the find it, better log it right away, concept things could adjust to more automated 'closings' I think. But there would have to be some transition time. And the GC/GS staff route would remain for those few who just happened to find their lost notebook with 5 year old forgotten finds. Perhaps the requests for that bunch would be one request written and attached to a $10 dollar bill for each log. :rolleyes:

Doug 7rxc

I don't really see the need for this. We have come across a number of caches that were archived but not removed, and thus logged them. Yes, COs should pick up their caches when they are archived, but that doesn't always happen. And sometimes we load PQs when we're going on a road trip and find a cache that has been archived since we loaded it. Should we not be able to log the find? Logging "false positives" on any caches (i.e., armchair logging) doesn't really hurt anybody except the people who choose to do it. And, personally, that doesn't impact our caching fun at all. Let people cache the way that makes them happy...as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Some people have other priorities in life besides rushing home and logging caches right away. Some don't log for MONTHS after the find. Your suggesting that these folks don't get to log a cache they found while it was active? Some how I think this is wrong.

Once I logged a cache a year late because I completely forgot I found it that day and realized it when I was looking though photos on my computer a year later. The cache was still active, but I could imagine a cache being archived over a period of time like that and I would've had a problem if it was locked.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

Regarding your comment:

This will get them to post sooner. Think of it as "doing your taxes". You'll git er done on time!

Seriously, if they are "backlogged" THAT much, maybe they should take a day off caching. :blink:

Wow! So now Geocaching is all about smartphones??? :huh: Some people still use a dedicated GPSr! :P

Even with a smartphone, I think that some COs appreciate a log that says more than "Thanks for the cache!" or "Fun one for the kids" For me, it is a bit tedious to type a log on that virtual keyboard. I prefer to wait until I am home and write something that will convey the joy of the find, the difficulties with a hunt, the scenery and wildlife in the area, the appreciation of a good puzzle or well-camo'd container.

Oh, and about "doing your taxes?" :unsure: I guess that's why so many people either wait until the last day to file or need to request an extension! That's a GOOD reason not to lock an archived cache!

Regarding your comment:

Wow! So now Geocaching is all about smartphones??? :huh: Some people still use a dedicated GPSr! :P

Even if one *does* use a smart phone to find a cache, there's another very good reason why one might not want to post their log in the field. I've found quite a few caches in other countries (13 to be exact). In every one of them, additional data roaming charges to the tune of about $20 per megabyte would be accrued if I turned on data roaming in order to log the cache. So whether or not I find the cache with a handheld GPS or a smartphone I'll wait until I can get an internet connection to log the cache online with my laptop. I generally try to log all my finds on the same day or the day after I've found them but when traveling it could easily be a few days before I can get a *reliable* internet connection.

Not everyone has a smartphone.

Not everyone has a data connection when they go geocaching.

Not everyone wants to enter their logs on a smartphone.

I use a smartphone for most of my geocaching, and except for time-sensitive logs like NM or NA, I never post logs directly. I use the field notes feature, and post my logs later, when it's convenient for me, when I have a real keyboard.

And I haven't seen enough of a problem with "false positives" to justify routinely locking archived caches, let alone automatically locking archived caches.

Why would you want geocaching to be like doing taxes? Geocaching is a game. Sometimes I like to write a lot in my logs and I don't want to do it from my smartphone. Why should I be forced to?

I know this will come as a shock to you, but not everybody has a smartphone.

And there could be a lot of other reasons for being backlogged--generally they are called "life."

I have never seen this be a problem. And even if it was, I don't see it impact my enjoyment of the game. If it did, it would only be because people were logging falsies on my own cache. If false logs are logged on other people's archived caches, I don't see why I should get upset about it.

I know this will come as a shock to you, but not everybody has a smartphone.

And there could be a lot of other reasons for being backlogged--generally they are called "life."

+1. Plus lots of places I cache when I look at my dumb phone it says "your kidding, right?". No logging there even if I had the latest android or iPhone.

I agree in Maine it seems like 90% has no smart phone service. I also use a dedicated unit which I prefer and log when I have time. I know people who dont log for months. Who cares? I do not get the necessity for all of us doing this the same way. In the end it is a game. Personnally I do like to log my finds on the same day that I find them--but I do not really care how others log there's and as others have pointed out sometimes there are other priorities in life.