How do you average out co-ordinates?

I placed a cache, and approached it a few times to make sure the co-ords were correct. The numbers were out a few times, just slightly.

How do you average out the co-ords? :unsure:

I start at about thirty feet from the cache in each direction and the readings are close enough that I just add the decimal minutes and decide by four.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I'll download that app :) Thanks!

The last newsletter says not to place caches with smartphones. :ph34r:

Yeah, I saw that :ph34r:

I checked my co-ords on several maps, and they seem to be spot on. I'm going to double check with my brother who has a dedicated GPS later today :)

I usually don't. If you have a good GPS signal there is no need to. If you have a lousy signal you are just averaging bad data.

Good answer! Plus, I'll usually leave a hint that's clear enough that you can find it even if you're getting a lot of bounce.

I'm still using an explorist 500 that's about 6 years old now.

I usually don't. If you have a good GPS signal there is no need to. If you have a lousy signal you are just averaging bad data.

Good answer! Plus, I'll usually leave a hint that's clear enough that you can find it even if you're getting a lot of bounce.

I'm still using an explorist 500 that's about 6 years old now.

The only time I bother averaging is when there is a lot of signal bounce. Guess what, those are the caches where I get complaints about the coordinates.

I checked my co-ords on several maps, and they seem to be spot on. I'm going to double check with my brother who has a dedicated GPS later today :)

I was just kidding. Someone started a thread about that, but it veered off course anyways. That sounds like a good Iphone averaging app, although I just read up on it, I don't roll with Iphone.

I was just kidding. Someone started a thread about that, but it veered off course anyways. That sounds like a good Iphone averaging app, although I just read up on it, I don't roll with Iphone.

:lol: fair enough

I've checked them with my brother's GPS anyway, and they're spot on. :D

I'm planning on getting a dedicated GPS myself in the future, but money is tight so for now, the iPhone will have to suffice. :unsure:

I can't find this thread, could you link me? :(

I can't find this thread, could you link me? :(

Sure. Hooray for the newsletter!

Thanks!

Most people seem to be mentioning the iPhone 3GS. Does this rule apply for all smartphones? Because I have one of the most up-to-date phones, with software updates once a week :blink:

I'm struggling to understand why I paid £7 for the official app and being told not to use it for part of the game. :huh::unsure:<_<:blink:

I'm struggling to understand why I paid £7 for the official app and being told not to use it for part of the game. :huh::unsure:<_<:blink:

If your phone seems to get the coords right for caches that you find then by all means use it for caches that you place. Give a good hint to be on the safe side. Don't let the newsletter bully you into buying a GPSr.

Most people seem to be mentioning the iPhone 3GS. Does this rule apply for all smartphones?

Not sure about other smartphones... but the iPhones didn't get good GPS hardware until the the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4S added support for GLONASS, the recently-completed Russian GPS equivalent. Not sure if that adds any functionality or not... but more satellites are better, right? :anibad:

If your phone seems to get the coords right for caches that you find then by all means use it for caches that you place. Give a good hint to be on the safe side. Don't let the newsletter bully you into buying a GPSr.

However, if you should find yourself needing a dedicated GPS unit, be sure to buy it via the "shop Geocaching" link on this website. :laughing:

Most people seem to be mentioning the iPhone 3GS. Does this rule apply for all smartphones? Because I have one of the most up-to-date phones, with software updates once a week

The GPS in my DroidX is very weak. Some days, it might work OK. Other days, it might take 15 minutes just to get a fix on satellites. So much for the cell tower triangulation helping to get a fix "faster." Even if it does get what it thinks is a good fix, it's often off by a few hundred feet.

The firmware that's closest to the GPS chip, which actually does the GPS signal crunching, probably does not get updated as often as you think - if at all.

How accurate do the handheld GPS units get? For lack of better hardware, I use an iPad 2 and the Perfect Mark app, and I've messaged catchers who have logged finds on my caches and asked them about the accuracy of my coordinates and they always check out fine. When I'm establishing coordinates, the iPad shows an accuracy of 5 meters (about 15 feet) which I then improve upon with averaging. Do handheld GPS units get more accurate than 15 feet?

How accurate do the handheld GPS units get? For lack of better hardware, I use an iPad 2 and the Perfect Mark app, and I've messaged catchers who have logged finds on my caches and asked them about the accuracy of my coordinates and they always check out fine. When I'm establishing coordinates, the iPad shows an accuracy of 5 meters (about 15 feet) which I then improve upon with averaging. Do handheld GPS units get more accurate than 15 feet?

The estimated accuracy of coordinates is a number that is basically a bogus number. At best, it is useful to compare current reception to past reception on your own device.

There is no standard for that measurement. Every manufacturer makes up their own algorithm for it, and even then, that algorithm can change from model to model. In practice, most handhelds in an area without "signal bounce" (multi-path reception issues) seem to be accurate to within 15-20 feet.

Back in the bad old days when the GPS signal was still scrambled and Magellans were the size of shoe boxes, averaging readings was standard operating procedure.

Cute thread bump. But Geocaching didn't exist until after the signal unscrambled. One could even say it exists because the signal was unscrambled.

By the way, I'm here if anyone needs to know where to find the extremely well-hidden averaging feature on the Magellan Explorist GC. I've had to show it to everyone I ever met that has one. :)

By the way, I'm here if anyone needs to know where to find the extremely well-hidden averaging feature on the Magellan Explorist GC. I've had to show it to everyone I ever met that has one. :)

Neither one of them new about that feature? :lol:

Oh no, they are selling tons of those things. That's the $150 (or cheaper if you look around) one that is "100% dedicated to Geocaching Adventures". It even says that on the box. Which is what I'm sure inspired the non-Geocaching Mrs. Yuck to buy me one as a surprise gift. :)

EDIT: Whoa, I just noticed I had the mad icon after my post, not the Smiley faced one I meant to choose below it. Good thing Mrs. Yuck didn't see it, eh?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Neither one of them new about that feature? :lol:

Oh no, they are selling tons of those things. That's the $150 (or cheaper if you look around) one that is "100% dedicated to Geocaching Adventures". It even says that on the box. Which is what I'm sure inspired the non-Geocaching Mrs. Yuck to buy me one as a surprise gift. :)

EDIT: Whoa, I just noticed I had the mad icon after my post, not the Smiley faced one I meant to choose below it. Good thing Mrs. Yuck didn't see it, eh?

Marriage saved by a quick edit. Sweet!