Who does this? Swap out my container for a cardboard box!

I had some logs on one of my caches that had me believe it needed some maintenance, so I de-actiavted it a few days ago and then made it out to take a peak at it today. I was utterly surprised to see that someone swapped out my tupperware container for a CARDBOARD box! They also had made a log-page with the words "GEO COACH" on it. It does appear to be done by a kid but really why?!?! Just a rant, thanx for listening

There are some pics on the cache page if you were interested :)

My link

I had some logs on one of my caches that had me believe it needed some maintenance, so I de-actiavted it a few days ago and then made it out to take a peak at it today. I was utterly surprised to see that someone swapped out my tupperware container for a CARDBOARD box! They also had made a log-page with the words "GEO COACH" on it. It does appear to be done by a kid but really why?!?! Just a rant, thanx for listening

My link

I can appreciate that this was intensely irritating for you, but that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a really long time.

Two scenarios for you:

1. A kid finds and swipes your cache. He's a kid - he thinks "oh boy, I got something!" He takes what he wants, and pitches the rest. Then, he has a bout with his conscience, either on his own, or his folks figure out he swiped something that didn't belong to him. Either way, he becomes convinced that he's going to hell because he stole your cache. So he replaces the "Geo Coach" he stole as best he can. Or, maybe he thought his version was better than yours - I mean, who wants tupperware, and what dummy can't spell "Coach"? :anitongue:

2. You have a really creative friend in the area who is having a bit of fun at your expense!

You definitely need to hide a cache entitled "Geo-Coach"...

My link

I can appreciate that this was intensely irritating for you, but that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a really long time.

Two scenarios for you:

1. A kid finds and swipes your cache. He's a kid - he thinks "oh boy, I got something!" He takes what he wants, and pitches the rest. Then, he has a bout with his conscience, either on his own, or his folks figure out he swiped something that didn't belong to him. Either way, he becomes convinced that he's going to hell because he stole your cache. So he replaces the "Geo Coach" he stole as best he can. Or, maybe he thought his version was better than yours - I mean, who wants tupperware, and what dummy can't spell "Coach"? :anitongue:

2. You have a really creative friend in the area who is having a bit of fun at your expense!

You definitely need to hide a cache entitled "Geo-Coach"...

Sounds like a plan, I wonder if I can waterproof a cardboard box? LOL

This may or may not be applicable to your situation, but one of the things I learned while trying to maintain my first hide (now archived) is that some people like taking nice containers. If you make them less nice (e.g., by camouflaging them, by permanently marking them as geocaches), then they are less interested in taking them.

This may or may not be applicable to your situation, but one of the things I learned while trying to maintain my first hide (now archived) is that some people like taking nice containers. If you make them less nice (e.g., by camouflaging them, by permanently marking them as geocaches), then they are less interested in taking them.

Thanx for the info, I didn't think the old container was too special but "one mans junk....."

I am beginning to calm down now and realize that there is humour in the situation.

Edited by FunkyCachers

I am beginning to calm down now and realize that there is humour in the situation.

A long time ago, there were some kids in Dallas (we think they were kids anyway) who hid some caches. Their first cache was one of the worst I'd ever seen. (How do you hide a new cache and have the container start out looking like it had been out in the field for years, chewed on by squirrels? How is that even possible?) It was full of stuff that had pretty obviously come out of the BOTTOM of some little kid's toy box. The log book was just some post-it notes.

The one your mysterious benefactor left is actually worse than that one - congrats! ;)

I'm sorry I'm so far away, if I'd found that, I'd have given it a favorite point, assuming I survived falling down and rolling over laughing! Glad you have a sense of humor, because that really is just too funny! The humorless responses from the finders is hilarious too!

Hopefully this is just a one off event for you. Best of luck! :)

I wonder if it was sort of an accident. In spite of the container choice, it looks like this child put some effort into it - such a cute log sheet! (I think it was a child - probably around 8 years old, my son has similar hand-wright-ing.)

Maybe it was a couple of friends playing at the park (I bet they even live on that street). One friend took it, the other friend felt guilty about it and tried to replace it but Mom wouldn't give up any tupperware.

I'm glad you are able to see the lighter side of this. Now what you need to do is hide out and see if the little muggle comes back to check on the box!

IMHO, the same goes for trackables - make 'em ugly.

Someone swiped the bison tube I used for a cache near Oakland and replaced it with a film can. Why?

It does happen but usually someone takes the cache and thats the end of it. I hadnt been caching long and for my second cache I built a beautiful bird feeder with a secret compartment in the roof for the cache. Everyone loved it, so I was furious when it went missing! I'm not sure which was worse, the fact that whoever took it had no idea the cache was there and, in their eyes, stole a nice looking bird feeder or that that they took it from the tree right outside my house :P I learnt that you have to make caches and hides good enough to do their jobs but crappy enough looking that nobody wants to take it :) Feel lucky they actually left something :)

Someone swiped the bison tube I used for a cache near Oakland and replaced it with a film can. Why?

Bison tube could have gone missing, and film can is a throw down.

Either that or they wanted the bison tube because it is a much better container than a film can. The film can will never be waterproof. The bison is (at least for a while).

PS

I would have been pretty irritated about the cardboard box too, but now it is pretty funny. I would have loved to see the look on peoples faces who were finding it... "What the heck...????"

If I were you I would definitely make the attempt at waterproofing a cardboard box to use for your "geo coach". You can try some sort of shellac on it. Try an art supply store. Or maybe some sealant they use to waterproof wood.

You can always put a cardboard box inside of a waterproof container, but that would take away some of the charm :) and it would still absorb moisture.

Edited by Sol seaker

I had to replace a small trading cache with an intensely camo'ed micro (with a total spoiler hint) for a while, once some children found it. They raided the contents, wrote in the log - increasingly potty mouthed over time - and stole trackables.

I left it as a micro for a year and then put the small trading cache back in a slightly different place.

Good luck on waterproofing cardboard! hey, enough duct tape and who knows? :D

Maybe it was a couple of friends playing at the park (I bet they even live on that street). One friend took it, the other friend felt guilty about it and tried to replace it but Mom wouldn't give up any tupperware.

I'd guess the same thing! I'm sure the kid meant well!

And it's entirely possible that whoever did it thought that it was how the game was *supposed* to be played. You and I know that we're supposed to find the cache, (optionally) trade some swag, sign the log and replaced that container where it was hidden. If someone that might have only heard about geocaching stumbled upon a cache, it's plausible that they might have assumed they were supposed to replace the cache with one of their own construction.

Had the original log in it.

I was in the area for a Night Cache and brought along a Therapak to upgrade container from Micro to Small. Bit bummed, but I wouldn't have re-used the bison anyway - it would go into the aluminum recycling.

from reading the previous logs it looks like it was replaced in late January or early Feb. Someone mentioned the lid was frozen, then someone DNF'd it, after that cachers were mentioning how it would hold up. Wondering if someone tried to replace it with the only thing they had but didn't bother telling the CO.

Had the original log in it.

OK, you're right, no sane reason. The only other reason I can think of is alien abduction. Either that, or whoever swiped it misread the commodities prices for aluminum.

Edited by Chrysalides

from reading the previous logs it looks like it was replaced in late January or early Feb. Someone mentioned the lid was frozen, then someone DNF'd it, after that cachers were mentioning how it would hold up. Wondering if someone tried to replace it with the only thing they had but didn't bother telling the CO.

Yes I think that might be the case.

I'm glad you are seeing the humor in the situation. Now if it happened a second time.... then I'd be ticked off!

A third time...I was start epoxy coating cardboard boxes and hiding them in the woods waiting for them to be replaced by ammo boxes!!!