Gun found while geocaching

I couldn't find a link to this story in today's super soar-away Sun, Saturday 17 March, Page 45, so for all of you non-Sun reading cachers, here it is, ver batem...

Treasure Hunt Gun

"A treasure hunter found a gun and live ammunition in a hollow treet at a beauty spot. The man, who did not want to be named, was geocaching - an outdoor pursuit in which players search for hidden containers using a sat nav [sic]. The weapon was discovered in socks at the Langdon Nature Reserve, Essex. Police were alerted and armed cops rushed to the scene. The man said "I removed the socks and what did I find? A revolver and about 30 live bullets. I almost had a heart attack." Police are carrying out tests on the weapon."

So, who was the lucky finder..?!! These new trackables are getting more and more dangerous, you know...

I couldn't find a link to this story in today's super soar-away Sun, Saturday 17 March, Page 45, so for all of you non-Sun reading cachers, here it is, ver batem...

Treasure Hunt Gun

"A treasure hunter found a gun and live ammunition in a hollow treet at a beauty spot. The man, who did not want to be named, was geocaching - an outdoor pursuit in which players search for hidden containers using a sat nav [sic]. The weapon was discovered in socks at the Langdon Nature Reserve, Essex. Police were alerted and armed cops rushed to the scene. The man said "I removed the socks and what did I find? A revolver and about 30 live bullets. I almost had a heart attack." Police are carrying out tests on the weapon."

So, who was the lucky finder..?!! These new trackables are getting more and more dangerous, you know...

Just one way in which geocaching is socially productive.

Wow...Just imagine... Some muggle probably hid it there for future usage (without keeping it at home and being 'detected').

You could've saved some lives.... Great Job!!

I'll hazard a guess that when whoever it was intended for went to collect it they didn't report it as being "muggled"...

Found it last Weds evening, cant believe the attention it has recieved, I havnt even spoken to the press ! Info was taken off the Essex Geocachers forum !

This might sound a little bit OTT, but the owner of that gun is unlikely to be a small time hoodie wannabe gangster. By now they probably know that the gun has been found and they probably know it's been found by a Geocacher. After all it says so in the newspaper.

If I was that type of person I might want to get even, that is the way some of them think. So I may join this weird Geocaching site and have a look at the forums. Oh Look, see who has said it was them?

Like I said you may think I am being OTT, but I would think about asking for all references to you finding it on this and the Essex forum to be removed.

Found it last Weds evening, cant believe the attention it has recieved, I havnt even spoken to the press ! Info was taken off the Essex Geocachers forum !

This might sound a little bit OTT, but the owner of that gun is unlikely to be a small time hoodie wannabe gangster. By now they probably know that the gun has been found and they probably know it's been found by a Geocacher. After all it says so in the newspaper.

If I was that type of person I might want to get even, that is the way some of them think. So I may join this weird Geocaching site and have a look at the forums. Oh Look, see who has said it was them?

Like I said you may think I am being OTT, but I would think about asking for all references to you finding it on this and the Essex forum to be removed.

Only the paranoid survive and all that :)

Seriously, it's a good point.

link to ECHO newspaper

Reading some of the comments made smile ... especially this one:

billericay boy wrote:

Didn't know there was a beauty spot in Laindon, or is “geocacher” a posh word for Dogging.

Cheeky mare! :unsure: :unsure:

No, the posh word is "slug-hunting".

Is that a confession of what you're really up to when you say you're just going out for a spot of slug hunting? :blink::laughing:

I'm all for helping the police prevent and solve serious crimes if an obvious way to do so presents itself. Publicising it perhaps isn't ideal, but the police probably don't want criminals hiding illegal firearms where an innocent geocacher could get hurt if they had seen the drop off or pick up.