Multi Caches and Unknown Caches.

nyhof

How do you feel about multi and unknown caches? I have hidden several of these and they never get attention. I put a lot of thought and planning into these and I feel like I have wasted my time. One of my unknown caches (11/15/11) is very simple to figure out and it only has 1 find. It was the cachers first and only find... hopefully I didn't scare him off. Would you rather go after quick and easy caches where you find many in a few hours or find one very challenging high quality multi cache that takes a while to complete?

You will get a lot of answers here that will say "It's all about the numbers". For some, that may be true. However, there are many other reasons puzzles and multi's do not get the action of regulars.

Before I got total knee replacements, I learned early that many multi's would have stages to hard for limited mobility. Much harder to tell when you are doing a multi, then when you are doing a regular. I also got tired of starting on a nice multi and finding one or more stage missing.

Generally I do not care for puzzles, they just aren't my thing. If a new one is listed I may check the cache page and see if I might want to try it. Usually I will skip them.

Bottom line, if you put out any type of cache other then a regular, it will not get as much traffic. But that's OK because there will be many cachers that will like them and thank you for putting out something they like. B) There will also be some who will complain because they don't like "that kind of cache", don't worry about them they don't count. :)

There are many of us who highly prefer caches that challenge us (puzzle caches, hike to a cool place, etc).

I know that when I place a puzzle cache that not many people will solve it and go find it. I'm willing to live with that.

Multi caches don't get as many visitors because you have to find several caches and only get one "Find Count."

One of my favorite caches was a 7-stage multi in a beautiful hiking area. Loved it! Only a few people ever went to find that cache.

One of my favorite puzzle caches was an extremely challenging first-time cache by a local college student. Hardly anyone has gone after it.

That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Edited by Max and 99

I can see the allure of caching just to tally numbers but I haven't been bitten by that bug. I know of a cacher who found over 2000 in the first 6 months and I'm not saying that wouldn't be fun. However, I do like mysteries and multis quite a bit more. I've always enjoyed solving different kinds of puzzles so mysteries are a natural for me. I've gotten some multis lately, and that's fun, too. I just placed my first cache and when that's listed its going to be a mystery (a challenging one, at that).

I prefer a good multi over a traditional hands down.

However... I would appreciate it if the wpts are added already. Not ones that need to be calculated, of course. But if you have 5 wpts you want me to see and go to, I'd appreciate it if they we aready listed as additional wpts.

Otherwise I have to go back and forth, writing wpts on my hand to enter them into the map.

If I had to rank my favorite finds, the top 5 are multis...

I prefer a good multi over a traditional hands down.

However... I would appreciate it if the wpts are added already. Not ones that need to be calculated, of course. But if you have 5 wpts you want me to see and go to, I'd appreciate it if they we aready listed as additional wpts.

Otherwise I have to go back and forth, writing wpts on my hand to enter them into the map.

If I had to rank my favorite finds, the top 5 are multis...

For some of the multis, I have seen, that would defeat the entire purpose of having the multi. The waypoints are there to tell you where the next waypoint (or the final cache) is located. If the waypoints were given then you could go to the next to last one and get the coords of the final.

Why would someone list a cache as a multi then give you all the coordinates in advance? You could just skip to the last stage!

I know where you are coming from.

If there are 5 places to visit, to get information, 5 additional waypoints added to the page is nice.

They can be visited to get the relevant information, to then work out where the final cache is.

Two factors that keep me from trying multicaches are the inability to estimate how long they will take to complete and a long gap with no indication that the cache is in good shape. I do a lot of my caching while traveling and I need to know if this is likely to take an hour or five. Using attributes or including a time and/or distance estimate would be really helpful. Also if your cache hasn't been found in a while, posting a note that you've recently checked it and it's in good shape can be very helpful.

I also enjoy a good multi cache, especially if it involves a nice hike. As already stated though, they're going to get found far less frequently than traditionals. It's the nature of the beast. Hide what it is you enjoy finding, and then go find a few more to get ideas on placing more quality caches :)

If you're looking for a lot of logs on your cache, you should probably stick to traditionals. That's not to say you can't put out quality traditional caches, there are tons of those out there too.

Two factors that keep me from trying multicaches are the inability to estimate how long they will take to complete and a long gap with no indication that the cache is in good shape. I do a lot of my caching while traveling and I need to know if this is likely to take an hour or five. Using attributes or including a time and/or distance estimate would be really helpful. Also if your cache hasn't been found in a while, posting a note that you've recently checked it and it's in good shape can be very helpful.

Agreed. Knowing how many stages there are in a multi-cache as well as the general direction of the stages and final can help a lot. There have been several times when I was caching in an area a bit south of me when I found the first stage of a two stage multi as I was making my way back toward home (heading north), only to discover that the finale was further south than the first stage. Now, if I'm going to look for a multi while out for a day of caching I'll look for the first stage while outbound, so if the subsequent stage is further away from home I can continue on to get it. If the next stage is in between the first and home I can grab it on the way home.

Why would someone list a cache as a multi then give you all the coordinates in advance?

If you have to go to multiple locations to get information, like this one. This is the style of multi JesandTodd is referring to. Not all multis are ones where one stage gives the coordinates to the next.

Yes, exactly.

I really like this idea. Most of my caches require solving field puzzles.

How do you feel about multi and unknown caches? I have hidden several of these and they never get attention. I put a lot of thought and planning into these and I feel like I have wasted my time. One of my unknown caches (11/15/11) is very simple to figure out and it only has 1 find. It was the cachers first and only find... hopefully I didn't scare him off. Would you rather go after quick and easy caches where you find many in a few hours or find one very challenging high quality multi cache that takes a while to complete?

I'm not one of the "it's all about the numbers" sorts. I like puzzles and multis. In fact, most of my favourited caches are puzzles; multis; earthcaches or regulars in beautiful, out of the way places.

Two by way of example: Sculpturally Speaking; Lower Bolton

I can't see your 11/15/11 cache on your profile, but looking at your other caches none of them have a particularly high hit rate. Perhaps there isn't many cachers in your neck of the woods?

Exactly.

Also, nothing is more frustrating than finding the first 2 points of a 4 or more part multi and not being able to find #3

Multis and Mysterys tend to get found less than Traditionals. Due to the limited hours of access, Night Caches probably tend to get found even less. But there are still many who enjoy them. If you enjoy them, do place them and keep them active; hide the kind of caches you'd like to find.

A tip for Multis is to note in the Short Description:

-how many stages

-approximate mileage covered from start to finish

This allows people to know what they're in for.

You will get a lot of answers here that will say "It's all about the numbers". For some, that may be true. However, there are many other reasons puzzles and multi's do not get the action of regulars.

I also got tired of starting on a nice multi and finding one or more stage missing.

Generally I do not care for puzzles, they just aren't my thing. If a new one is listed I may check the cache page and see if I might want to try it. Usually I will skip them.

Bottom line, if you put out any type of cache other then a regular, it will not get as much traffic. But that's OK because there will be many cachers that will like them and thank you for putting out something they like. B) There will also be some who will complain because they don't like "that kind of cache", don't worry about them they don't count. :)

I agree.

Is the Unknown cache in an area that is not very populated? A low population could mean less incentive for somebody to make the trip to find the cache. I tend to find caches on my way to and from places, or make finds convenient to where I am/plan on going. If there's a cache 100 miles away in a community for a population of 100, I will not bother driving a 100 miles to find a cache without a reason/place to be.