Damaged LP

AneMae

Lamp Post Caches can be dangerous because of this.

This LP was struck by a car- it happens all the time. It is dented and the wiring has been exposed.

347 volts looking for ground. Have the wires been compromised? Is the post energized? Who knows?

Would you touch it?

Thankfully there is no cache on this one, but it serves as a good example of how they can be very dangerous.

Lets protect each other and not place caches on these.

Oh yeah, they are un-imaginiative, usually on private property and are just all around lame, IMO.

photo-8-1.jpg

Seeing how many times this issue has been hashed out before do you really think that this will in any way affect how people place caches.

Second you use a picture of where there isn't a cache so there is no danger.

Last this hobby is about individuals taking responsibility for their own safety. People who don't want to to LPCs don't have to and those that do take the appropriate risk. There are far more dangerous cache locations I have been to than a benign lamp post.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Seeing how many times this issue has been hashed out before do you really think that this will in any way affect how people place caches.

Last this hobby is about individuals taking responsibility for their own safety. People who don't want to to LPCs don't have to and those that do take the appropriate risk. There are far more dangerous cache locations I have been to than a benign lamp post.

+1

And I'll add... give it a rest. your quest to rid the world of caches you don't like is becoming tiresome.

+1

And I'll add... give it a rest. your quest to rid the world of caches you don't like is becoming tiresome.

+1

Thanks

I once found a cache hidden in the access hole just like you pictured. I lived to tell the story, but I wasn't too pleased with the CO's choice of hiding places. <_<

While a normal lampost skirt hide may be mundane and unimaginative, I doubt there is any real danger of electrocution.

In any case, the pole is most likely wired for 220/240v, or possibly 110/120v. Also, it isn't the voltage that is dangerous, but the applied electrical current. The static electricity spark you get from a doorknob may be as high as 10,000 volts...but the current is very tiny. Shocking, but hardly life-threatening.

+1

Some People Just Don't Get It!

head_in_sand.jpg

+1

head_in_sand.jpg

Is that you? That looks dangerous! You should pull your head out before you suffocate. We don't bury caches.

Yes, sometimes they don't.

When you can post one (1) single link to a case where a Geocacher was electrocuted at a lampskirt cache (damaged or otherwise) you might get our attention.

As has been stated innumerable times, the drive in your motor vehicle to get to that lampskirt was about 100 times more dangerous.

Don't you love it when someone brand new to an organization gets the chicken little complex and starts running around shouting "danger will robinson. Excuse the mixed metaphors couldn't resist combining them.

As to 347 volts she is canadian and maybe that is what there's is when devalued much like the currency.

Don't you love it when someone brand new to an organization gets the chicken little complex and starts running around shouting "danger will robinson. Excuse the mixed metaphors couldn't resist combining them.

As to 347 volts she is canadian and maybe that is what there's is when devalued much like the currency.

It's "he". I think it's a play on the word Anime but I'm not sure. I should probably ask.

FYI, The Canadian Dollar is currently trading at $1.0115 to the US dollar. That means it is worth more. Has been for a while now.

The 347 volts is the standard used here for industrial applications- like lamp posts.

As long as at no point in this thread does she refer to Electricity as "Hydro", I'm good. (It's a Canadian thing). :ph34r:

FYI, The Canadian Dollar is currently trading at $1.0115 to the US dollar. That means it is worth more. Has been for a while now.

The 347 volts is the standard used here for industrial applications- like lamp posts.

Three hundred forty-eight shalt thou not count, neither count thou three hundred forty-six, excepting that thou then proceed to three hundred forty-seven.

Three hundred forty-nine is right out.

:blink:

I just got off the phone with a certified Eletrical Engineer. His feild of study being power systems. He is also Department Head for a major Universty.

According to him the standard for lamp post in the US and Canada is 110/120. Some will run 210/220. Major lighting like at stadiums will run 440/480.

He said in all his 35+ years in the field he has never heard of anything that was 347v. In fact his words were, "Even in the former Soviet Union where they did some weird s$%# have I ever heard of that."

BTW: Standard in the UK is 250.

I just got off the phone with a certified Eletrical Engineer. His feild of study being power systems. He is also Department Head for a major Universty.

According to him the standard for lamp post in the US and Canada is 110/120. Some will run 210/220. Major lighting like at stadiums will run 440/480.

He said in all his 35+ years in the field he has never heard of anything that was 347v. In fact his words were, "Even in the former Soviet Union where they did some weird s$%# have I ever heard of that."

From the CSAO website (Construction Safety Association Ontario):

347-VOLT CIRCUITS

347-volt circuits are commonly used in industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) settings for lighting applications. The reason for the circuit’s popularity is its economic viability. First, a 347-volt circuit can accommodate more light fixtures per breaker than a 120-volt circuit. Second, a 347-volt circuit can be directly wired to the building with no need for a transformer. The same cannot be said of other voltages.

But working with 347-volt circuits entails inherent risks and dangers. Fatalities and injuries have resulted. Although working on energized lines is the last resort in most electrical applications, it is too common a practice with 347-volt circuits.

Typically, a 347-volt circuit is a multi-wire branch type. Many facilities use a single-pole breaker for a block of lights.

Guess your expert better check Google next time.

Edited by AneMae

Yes there is 347 volt electrical systems and yes it is a canadian thing. It is not weird and is completely normal(well it is weird to a electrician in the US). There are 347/600 volt systems.

Edited by jhellwig

From the CSAO website (Construction Safety Association Ontario):

347-VOLT CIRCUITS

347-volt circuits are commonly used in industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) settings for lighting applications. The reason for the circuit’s popularity is its economic viability. First, a 347-volt circuit can accommodate more light fixtures per breaker than a 120-volt circuit. Second, a 347-volt circuit can be directly wired to the building with no need for a transformer. The same cannot be said of other voltages.

But working with 347-volt circuits entails inherent risks and dangers. Fatalities and injuries have resulted. Although working on energized lines is the last resort in most electrical applications, it is too common a practice with 347-volt circuits.

Typically, a 347-volt circuit is a multi-wire branch type. Many facilities use a single-pole breaker for a block of lights.

Guess your expert better check Google next time.

Ok, Now I see. We are talking apples and ornages.

You are talking about the power voltage at the device. That is the voltage step down after the internal transform at each light. The power supply voltage for such device is 440/480. This is a common system used for many large industrial lighting systemes, like those at a ballpark or such.

The power run to each pole at 440/480 and is stepped down in the light at to 347.

And BTW the standard for eastern Canada is 247/440. Western Canada and the US use 347/480

Of course you would only see this if you were caching in a stadium or major factory. Done that much lately?

Yes there is 347 volt electrical systems and yes it is a canadian thing. It is not weird and is completely normal(well it is weird to a electrician in the US). There are 347/600 volt systems.

yep it's a step down system and it's not just Canada. It sounding like he was saying 347 running through the line.

By the way...broken records have really sharp edges...
Then we should ban them, because... you know... someone might get hurt. (Think of the children!)

;)

Don't forget banning driving. Those new-fangled "motor-cars" are way more dangerous than those broken records. Why on earth would someone put their kids in such a contraption? :anibad:

think-of-the-children.jpg