A History Geotrail

Totem Clan

The Great Western Cattle Trail passed not to far east of my home coords. I was think of putting out a trail that follows (as close as you can without going on private property) the route of the cattle trail from the Red River to the North Fork of the Red River. It's about 30 miles in all.

At both ends of the trail there would be regular caches. The trail 'markers' wounld mircos (maybe smalls in a few spots) There would be anywhere from 35 to 70 caches total depending on how far apart I place the markers.

This would not just be a power trail so folks can grab numbers (although it's fine if they do it for that reason), it's purpose would be to serve as a history trail.

What do think?

If the caches were placed at significant or interesting points along the route, I think it's a great idea and it would be something I would love to do. If they are randomly placed caches and nothing more than a power trail tangentially related to the historic trail, then I'd have no interest.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Nor I.

If the caches were placed at significant or interesting points along the route, I think it's a great idea and it would be something I would love to do. If they are randomly placed caches and nothing more than a power trail tangentially related to the historic trail, then I'd have no interest.

Nor I.

I also agree

edit to fix quotes

Edited by SgtSue

There will be a marker (read cache) at every creek crossing made by the cattle (or as close as I can). At many points the marks left by the trail can still be seen. There will also be others in between to guide folks along the trail where between such points. The main purpose is the show where the trail passed and the views the drovers would have had and such.

Edited by Totem Clan

I think it would be interesting if one or more portions of it could be optionally done on horseback, if it's possible to place it like that. That would be a lot more authentic, and I'd think would add to the experience. If done well, this could be really interesting. One of the more interesting places I visited along the Preston Trail in North Texas was the grave site of a cowboy who died of typhoid along the trail. (http://coord.info/GCHE2N) His headstone told the story. You find interesting stuff like that along your trail, and it will be really, really good. Unfortunately, the Preston Trail would be a lousy place to horseback ride, as it's a major road now, for the most part.

I agree.

And if you could try to make the containers smalls (big enough for at least one travelbug) if possible and watertight that would up make the trail fun for all types of cachers.

And if you have the creativity, maybe paint or mark the container or add something to the inside of the container that was related to the historical significance of this trail. Perhaps something cattle-related or cowboy-related or little laminated info tidbits in each container.

Edited by Solitario R

I think it would be interesting if one or more portions of it could be optionally done on horseback, if it's possible to place it like that. That would be a lot more authentic, and I'd think would add to the experience. If done well, this could be really interesting. One of the more interesting places I visited along the Preston Trail in North Texas was the grave site of a cowboy who died of typhoid along the trail. (http://coord.info/GCHE2N) His headstone told the story. You find interesting stuff like that along your trail, and it will be really, really good. Unfortunately, the Preston Trail would be a lousy place to horseback ride, as it's a major road now, for the most part.

It very easily could. In fact a few years ago they drove a handful of longhorns up the traill along with a chuckwagon. The trail will follow the same route, or least a small part of it. There is only one major road crossing and that is not too busy as to preclude riding horseback.

And if you could try the containers smalls (big enough for at least one travelbug) if possible and watertight that would up make the trail fun for all types of cachers.

And if you have the creativity, maybe paint or mark the container or add something to the inside of the container that was related to the historical significance of this trail. Perhaps something cattle-related or cowboy-related or little lamented info tidbits in each container.

The two end caches will for sure.

I will be placing as large of a caches as I can at each point. Unfortnately some will be near enough to town to need to be micros <_< .

There is a least one point that is remote enough I can put the cache container inside a dutch oven and maybe a cow skull for another.

Another vote for this answer. I have only done one short power trial and I chose to do that on my bicycle (half on the way out and half on the way back to not stop so much). But a trail with a history format and points of interest that would get me.

Darn I am just leaving Texas. Maybe I will get back next year to see if it is up.

cool idea! good for tourism. - the local tourism office might be interested in something like that, maybe they would sponsor it.

This kinda got me thinking. Since I do a fair amount of travel to countries I've never visited before I have a amassed a somewhat respectable collection of "travel guide" books (i.e. Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc.) Most of these books have a list of suggested itineraries for what to see and do while visiting a city or country and will often have "If you have only one day...", "three day tour...", etc. Many of these guides will also have an associated web site for obtaining up to day information and other bits of information not included in the book. For those that might happen to live in a city or country that has a published City/Country guide with a list of suggested itineraries I wonder if placing (or identifying an existing) cache at each of the locations on the itineraries could possibly be included either in the book or as published link in the book to a website.

Nor I.

I also agree

edit to fix quotes

What they said.

Here's a smaller scale version that was done in NC a few years back. I enjoyed riding around the country using my imagination to view the items listed on the historical society's storyboards.