What makes a great proxy?

Fianccetto

we have a lot of missing coins, and I tend to leave it for some time before declaring a coin missing, so it's a long process. 2 have now been 'missing' with not a peep about them for over a year now, so I am starting to think about reusing the tracking numbers in some way. One is a coin (Rosa Parks) and one is a slug TB with a hole in the middle you attach to something (it had a too-cute silver bear attached).

When reusing the numbers and sending out a proxy, do they have to copy the original in some way, or can they be something quite different (but still related to the original title and icon)?

What kind of items make a good proxy? I have some sets of lead type I can use to press the number into clay or Fimo/Sculpey/or brand wood, so I was wondering it that kind of thing would be alright, or if any kind of substitute is unacceptable to most cachers and whatever I do it will be ignored and spurned. :huh:

Good thinking, Fianccetto! There seems to be much less angst posting about proxy travelers in this forum compared to the geocoin section. ;)

Personally, I'll move TB proxies as long as I can recognize them as travelers. They can be much more difficult to pick out minus the TB tag, though. On the other hand, I won't move geocoin proxies no matter how well designed. Icons in my profile are my list of geocoins I have seen in hand. If I move proxies, the icons of coins I have never seen will make my list record useless for that purpose. So I choose not to move them.

Geocachers' opinions, and the depth of their feelings, about proxies cover a very wide range. There may even be regional differences. If you search the geocoin forum, you can find a number of threads on the subject. Proxies seem to be covered in the TB threads less frequently. Some of the threads include ideas for making quality proxies. A proxy would not have to resemble the geocoin or TB tag, but then it is often more difficult for geocachers to recognize them as movers, rather than just part of the cache’s swag.

I've sent out quite a few proxy items in place of geocoins that have gone missing and I've tried to make them relate to the original item in some way and to make them interesting or humorous in their own right, but there's no requirement that you should do this. I feel that the most important thing with geocoin proxy items is to edit the name of the item to show clearly that it is a Proxy/Copy and not the original geocoin.

I completely understand aka Momster's reason for not moving proxy geocoins as some cachers do take their record of icons very seriously.

These are examples of geocoin proxy items I've released:

Hawaii or bust! (Not a real geocoin but a postcard

Bork! Bork! Was a geocoin, now a Swedish chef...these things happen.

London Eye (proxy)

Moon Marble (Not a geocoin, not from the moon either - a complete fabrication!)

MrsB

What kind of items make a good proxy? I have some sets of lead type I can use to press the number into clay or Fimo/Sculpey/or brand wood, so I was wondering it that kind of thing would be alright

I think you must NOT make a cool handmade craft item as your proxy tag. It needs to be ordinary. Maybe woodburning would be OK.

I have two TBs to re-release, which I intended to place this weekend. They're laminated 4x6" cards of the TB info sheet, including the photo of the original attached item. There's a photo of a Travel Bug dogtag, too, with the TB number. But I'm having second thoughts about those, since the cards don't say they're replacements nor proxies. When people find a card, they might assume parts are missing. It's only a card. I guess if they throw it away, I can go back to the drawing board, no great loss.

Now I plan to release a small laminated business-card-sized "tag" (a photo of a TB dogtag and its number), hole-punched. Attached will be maybe a key fob with a photo of the original attached item. I saw something similar in a cache today, and it's being moving/logged as if it's the original. That's similar to, but cheaper than, buying an "official" engraved "proxy tag" from a Geocoin store.

But most anything with a tracking number written on it is a Trackable item to many cachers. I have hand-made Sig pins, and I write the Event cache number on the back when I wear a pin to an Event. Twice that I know of, people have confused them for Trackables, due to them having a "Tracking Code" on the back. This may mean that any item can have "Track at..." info and the tracking number, and you've got a proxy. So... a block of wood, Tracking info wood-burned onto it by hand, attached to some small item if you like, and you're good to go. Maybe?

Edited by kunarion

Thanks all for responding, it has given me a lot to think about. It's also made me realise there is quite a big difference between these 2 trackables - the TB didn't have a copy tag, but I could make a circular proxy with a hole in it, as it was just a tag, not a coin. I'll keep the original info with a photo on the cache page, and find another small bear to send off, I think. Plastic would be good.

The Rosa Parks coin was a bit special. I like the idea of laminating, or encapsulating a photocopy of the original and marking it 'COPY' instead of something crafty. I do want to send one out again because I suspect this one might have been taken out of the game for 'political' reasons (being polite) and destroyed, rather than as straight theft or loss, or mislay. So the reason for sending out something that looks like the original (but clearly isn't so there is no confusion) is because the coin has a story to retell. The whole point of peaceful resistance and integration makes me think I should be getting Rosa's proxy right back out there, taking part in the game!

I'll dig a little deeper into the geocoin forums as have not noticed much about Proxy items there. I suppose each item lost will need a different response in replacement.

I love those ideas of yours, Mrs B, really good fun. :D

Travel bugs do not require a metal dogtag. Feel free to use whatever type of tag you wish, stickers attached to your car, ink tattooed into your skin, a homemade laminated tag.

The fact that you had to re-release your travel bug is not a concern and there is no requirement that you list it as a copy.

Coin travelers however are apparently required to be a coin.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've seen people mention things along those lines... such as they routinely "CITO" laminated coin proxies...

That's kind of an issue since I planned to re-release this dormant dragon:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2767599

I named him "TB Night Fury", but he's not actually a TB (the re-release showed an image of a TB dogtag with TB Night Fury's tracking number on it). It's a commemorative aluminum tag, a Cachekinz style coin. I'm beginning to think the "proxy" idea is not for me, and maybe my dead bugs should instead become more like car stickers. But I ain't getting a tattoo. :anicute:

One thing I would consider is that you are not really reusing the code, as that code is still attached to that traveller in particular (especially if it is a coin or other logo'ed item), you are instead sending out a replacement for that item. So I would make something that related to it and keeps the spirit of the original item intact - for coins I have seen laminated paper or wooden replacements (with the image printed on it or drawn on), for TB tags it is up to you how you want to do it.

I would create your new one, and place it in a cache with a note stating that it is a proxy that has been re-released. If possible I would also see if you can edit the name or page to state clearly it is now a proxy too, as some seem to take offence at going to find a nice geocoin and only discovering a paper proxy instead.

Travel bugs do not require a metal dogtag. Feel free to use whatever type of tag you wish, stickers attached to your car, ink tattooed into your skin, a homemade laminated tag.

The fact that you had to re-release your travel bug is not a concern and there is no requirement that you list it as a copy.

Oh, I see what you mean.

So as the little silver bear is unlikely to ever resurface as a TB, I could use that one to send out a TB carrying a Rosa Parks/passive resistance/integration (or other aspect) kind of symbol of some kind, and that wouldn't bother coin icon collectors (if I just left the coin as missing and didn't replace) and it satisfies my desire to do something about the thefts. :D

Oh, I see what you mean.

So as the little silver bear is unlikely to ever resurface as a TB, I could use that one to send out a TB carrying a Rosa Parks/passive resistance/integration (or other aspect) kind of symbol of some kind, and that wouldn't bother coin icon collectors (if I just left the coin as missing and didn't replace) and it satisfies my desire to do something about the thefts. :D

When picked up most would think, "oh, a Rosa Parks travel bug." And that's all.

Oh, I see what you mean.

I think that's fine. Better than 'oh, another of those blinking proxy things' and whatever else.

I had a Cachekinz coin/tag that I intended to re-release. Instead, any dead Geocoins will return as unique, personalized Trackables to be kept in my posession. I haven't quite ironed out my plan, but these won't be trinkets. I might bring them in a display case (so they don't get pocketed), with a warning that you could mess up your icon collection by logging my "proxy" Geocoins. :anicute:

So all of my Tracking Numbers are coming back to life.

I had a Cachekinz coin/tag that I intended to re-release. Instead, any dead Geocoins will return as unique, personalized Trackables to be kept in my posession. I haven't quite ironed out my plan, but these won't be trinkets. I might bring them in a display case (so they don't get pocketed), with a warning that you could mess up your icon collection by logging my "proxy" Geocoins. :anicute:

You'll make EXMAN very happy.

MrsB :D

Oh, I see what you mean.

I think that's fine. Better than 'oh, another of those blinking proxy things' and whatever else.

Yep.

the reason for sending out something that looks like the original (but clearly isn't so there is no confusion) is because the coin has a story to retell. The whole point of peaceful resistance and integration makes me think I should be getting Rosa's proxy right back out there, taking part in the game!

I'll dig a little deeper into the geocoin forums as have not noticed much about Proxy items there. I suppose each item lost will need a different response in replacement.

I think it's good to have a some kind of "replacement coin" be at least part of the proxy, and definitely make it clear that it is a Geocoin Proxy, so cachers know what they found before tracking it (if they "don't track proxies" for whatever reason). Maybe the issue is that people don't like finding just a laminated picture of a coin.

:) it's a start :)

:) it's a start :)

My first two proxies will be assembled from parts ordered from two different web shops, a craft store, and in one case, a toy store (spare hitchhiker purchased with the original just in case the first one vanished, go figure). These are kind of a big deal.

I found some really cheap proxy metal tags which they stamp with your travel bug number. The tag is clearly marked proxy and I will adjust the page of my trackable accordingly. In my case it was a coin that went missing so there's really nothing I have that looks like the coin did. As a result I'm going to use an ornament I bought after christmas and send that off instead but keep the mission the same.

I found some really cheap proxy metal tags which they stamp with your travel bug number. The tag is clearly marked proxy and I will adjust the page of my trackable accordingly. In my case it was a coin that went missing so there's really nothing I have that looks like the coin did. As a result I'm going to use an ornament I bought after christmas and send that off instead but keep the mission the same.

I don't have a problem with a proxy geocoin but keep in mind some will. Therefore I would request you don't label your travel bug re-releases an a proxy. There is something annoying about those who only log a Discover and carp about not finding the real thing, when we are talking travel bugs.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't have a problem with a proxy geocoin but keep in mind some will. Therefore I would request you don't label your travel bug re-releases an a proxy. There is something annoying about those who only log a Discover and carp about not finding the real thing, when we are talking travel bugs.

bd

The Micro Proxy tags were tempting. But it's an interesting idea to not mention "proxy" in relation to a coin's re-release. It will still have a special icon, which I think is one source of finder angst.

I finished my first TB proxy today. "Instant Karma" (the original was stolen, go figure). The new one, which would not be a great proxy if it were placed into a cache (due to the material the hitchhiker is made of), is great in other ways: It's cool, I'm keeping it, and it's Trackable again. Its tag, which cost twice as much as a "Micro Proxy" tag, can have 4 lines of custom text, and I had them etch the tracking number and TB name. This one was originally a TB, the next one I'll make was a Geocoin/tag. It will also be cool, and I'll also be keeping it :anicute:.

I'll mention it on the cache page when I get around to really releasing it. I'm quite sure at somepoint someone mad that they didn't get to hold the geocoin will toss it in the garbage somewhere. I wish more people could have experienced the coin before it got jacked. I move proxies and don't have a problem with it at all. But I know many people do feeling they got cheated somehow. If one of those people want to buy me a new coin ill happily release it.

Anyhow I have a travel bug that I will likely be making a proxy tag for as well at some point too. The extra tag that comes with bugs now I believe sends the wrong message as in "copy tag keep me".

Anyhow I have a travel bug that I will likely be making a proxy tag for as well at some point too. The extra tag that comes with bugs now I believe sends the wrong message as in "copy tag keep me".

I would greatly prefer to send out a "Proxy Tag" over the Copy Tags that say "Keep Me". :blink:

The copy tags that come now I would never ever send out on a coin. I find them to be utterly useless and don't understand why they even send them honestly. I have a couple of them that at some point I'm going to trash. If/when those bugs go missing if I desire to reuse the number I'll be purchasing a proxy tag to resend them out with.

I haven't bought a proper travel bug tag after my initial order and saw that.

I would greatly prefer to send out a "Proxy Tag" over the Copy Tags that say "Keep Me". :blink:

The copy tags that come now I would never ever send out on a coin. I find them to be utterly useless and don't understand why they even send them honestly. I have a couple of them that at some point I'm going to trash. If/when those bugs go missing if I desire to reuse the number I'll be purchasing a proxy tag to resend them out with.

I haven't bought a proper travel bug tag after my initial order and saw that.

There were 12 TBs in my geocaching shopping cart and I was hours away from placing the order, when I first read about the change in the copy tags on the forums. I emptied the cart, and ordered geocoins and tags elsewhere to send out traveling instead. But for my birthday recently, my muggle sister sent me some of the new TBs. Luckily, I have a Dremel engraver I use to etch goals onto tags I send out. If the copy TB tag is ever needed, I can easily scratch the offending --keep me-- wording off with the engraver. A file and straight edge would probably do the task as well, Chokecherry.

The copy tags that come now I would never ever send out on a coin. I find them to be utterly useless and don't understand why they even send them honestly.

You send one, keep the other one safe as a memento in a nice binder or on a chain. At least, that's the idea -- for people who like collecting. Either cachers were getting confused over what to do with two tags, or GS is planning to eliminate Tag Two (by first removing some of its value). One or the other. <_<

I've thought of using the Keep Me tag in some way like aka Momster does. But at this time, I have eight special tags ready, each laser engraved with the TB/coin name and tracking number. Between now and August, eight of my Trackables will have been dormant for at least a year. I've proxied one already.

Edited by kunarion
The copy tags that come now I would never ever send out on a coin. I find them to be utterly useless and don't understand why they even send them honestly.

You send one, keep the other one safe as a memento in a nice binder or on a chain. At least, that's the idea -- for people who like collecting. Either cachers were getting confused over what to do with two tags, or GS is planning to eliminate Tag Two (by first removing some of its value). One or the other. <_<

I've thought of using the Keep Me tag in some way like aka Momster does. But at this time, I have eight special tags ready, each laser engraved with the TB/coin name and tracking number. Between now and August, eight of my Trackables will have been dormant for at least a year. I've proxied one already.

If they completely got rid of the second tag and lowered the price I would probably go back to buying the old fashioned travel bugs. I just toss the second tag in the garbage at this point because they are completely useless to me. I know some people like to keep them and others send them out when their bugs go missing but I wouldn't send out something that says "keep me" on it as a replacement.

Here are three of my Proxies. Two aren't ready (the Night Fury one is incomplete, and Flying hasn't been gone a full 12 months yet). They may go to Events, but will be inside a sealed shadow box, guarded by me. They may also travel with me to caches. One thing they won't do, is get passed around until stolen/lost. These first proxies are semi-retired. As I refine my idea, I might make some designed to go cache-to-cache, depending on how I feel. I'll have at least eight dead bugs by the end of the year, to re-release.

35ddp54.jpg

These have laser engraved tags. One's a coin proxy. I'll include a nicely printed info sheet at an Event.

Edited by kunarion

Here are three of my Proxies. Two aren't ready (the Night Fury one is incomplete, and Flying hasn't been gone a full 12 months yet). They may go to Events, but will be inside a sealed shadow box, guarded by me. They may also travel with me to caches. One thing they won't do, is get passed around until stolen/lost. These first proxies are semi-retired. As I refine my idea, I might make some designed to go cache-to-cache, depending on how I feel. I'll have at least eight dead bugs by the end of the year, to re-release.

35ddp54.jpg

These have laser engraved tags. One's a coin proxy. I'll include a nicely printed info sheet at an Event.

B) Well done, kunarion. They look awesome!

I just recycled 5 geocoin numbers this week. It is the first time I have done it.

The geocoins were truly traveling coins that have gone missing -- they are not something I kept and want to travel too. (I think that is where some of the misplaced angst comes from.)

We will see how long they last -- I made them to travel and I've already lost the coins, so there is minimal risk/loss even if these get lost too.

I made them like I would a Travel Bug -- a cute (but not too cute) inexpensive item; a laminated card; connected together with wire cable and crushable ferrule. The number is on both the item itself and the card.

My biggest concern is that people wont recognize them as a trackable item without the dogtag or coin. I am hoping the tag and cable arrangement will clue them in.

I also did make sure that the page is very clear that it is a PROXY, to avoid someone getting upset that they didn't get a real coin.

My biggest concern is that people wont recognize them as a trackable item without the dogtag or coin. I am hoping the tag and cable arrangement will clue them in.

It will be interesting to know how the finders respond, and how far the proxies travel. If you were to make/buy some kind of "replacement dogtag", what would it be?

It will be interesting to know how the finders respond, and how far the proxies travel. If you were to make/buy some kind of "replacement dogtag", what would it be?

I bought a replacement metal tag marked proxy etc. with relevant info on it.

I've moved proxies that were engraved on the backs of keychains for example and cardboard ones and photocopied laminated ones. It'll be interesting to see if yours moves. I know some people have really strong feelings of nothing but the original will do but maybe they're more forgiving if it doesn't just look like a photocopied coin?

I've moved proxies that were engraved on the backs of keychains for example and cardboard ones and photocopied laminated ones.

One of the things I'm aiming for is to make it as easy to identify as possible. Someone new will find it and may visit the Forums, saying "I found -- something -- with "a tag", is it a Travel Bug?", and we'll have to be able to discern and explain it's a "proxy".

I like the "Micro Proxy" tags since they do look "official". I can't imagine people being all that confused by them (not knowing they're trackable nor where to track them). That's what I'm intending for any of my traveling Proxies -- that they "look" like an official gamepiece in some way (even if I don't buy a nice custom replacement tag). I think that's a part of what makes a great proxy.

Hum...yeah...I think this thread has done perfectly fine here and thanks everyone who has contributed so far. My question was split between TBs and geocoins so could go in either forum, and I am happy with how it is turning out, there's no need to say there is a problem here.

Kunarion, I love those dragons (why do the words 'my preciousssss' keep popping into my head?) Great idea to have them discoverable...Don't think I attend enough events to do something similar.

Edited by Fianccetto

There's a certain feeling of accomplishment when you find a coin and it's the real deal... The intricacies, the detail.. So far I've only launched a couple of coins.. And I have duplicates.. The best proxy is the real deal.. So buy two of the same.. Put one in your collection and launch the other... It's probably not likely you'll ever see it again.. And if it gets lost you still have one just like it in your collection.. Maybe I'm selfish because I want to see all the cool coins.. If you don't want your TB's to come up missing buy a dog tag and attach the most obnoxious undesirable clump of whatever you can think of to it... Fossilized Dino poo is too collectible so don't go overboard!.. My favorite caching experience is finding the coins.. U can put any TB on your watch list.. As beautiful and unique coins come into my possession I can make them mine by tracking them.. .. My first coin moved once and dissapeared.. But I've found coins that have over 30,000 miles.. I have a two sided coin in my possession right now that's taken different journeys because either side was unnoticed.. It has two different goals and two different owners..a proxy is something u have no value on... It's not a treasure if you yourself don't value it as much as the real coin.. So making a copy no matter how elaborate. is just a copy.. If you want to burn a number in a piece of wood? attach a tag to it and call it a piece of wood.. A geocoin is a geocoin.. Anything else is a trackable... And they can be just as creative and unique.. But it is what it is.. And it can never be what it isn't! If you're gonna spend the time to make a copy.. Attach a tag to it with its own number and call it unique.. Every tracking number is one of a kind.. It is unique.. The path and the miles and the hands it passes through.. None of them are real to the original that sits in the owners hands and takes credit for the journey the counterfeit has done.. And if the real coin should ever be circulated.. There would instantly be an in accuracy in the miles logged.. All copies or proxies should end up in a proxy cache.. Something like an ammo container painted on a wall

There's a certain feeling of accomplishment when you find a coin and it's the real deal... The intricacies, the detail.. So far I've only launched a couple of coins.. And I have duplicates.. The best proxy is the real deal.. So buy two of the same.. Put one in your collection and launch the other... It's probably not likely you'll ever see it again.. And if it gets lost you still have one just like it in your collection.

But this topic is about Proxies and NOT about replacing coins with identical coins (which also have their own Tracking Numbers).

The thing I'm asking is what do you do with the lost coin's Tracking Number? That's an available Tracking Number to go back into the game somehow. If it's a question of Geocoins specifically, I have posted a spin-off thread in the Geocoin Forum, since that's obviously trickier to deal with when deciding on a Proxy.

Edited by kunarion

Since I paid for the tracking number I have qualms about re-releasing that number into the wild. Coin or not I'm paying to watch a number logged on a website and nothing more and since some of these numbers cost considerably more depending on what they're on originally I will certainly be utilizing that number repeatedly if the object repeatedly goes missing.