Groundspeak hardware

fradjoh

Hi,

Is there a place where I could learn about wich hardware and software Groundspeak uses?

I would be curious to know things such as:

•  
  • How many servers and what kind?
  • Disk capacity (used and unused)?
  • Which database software (surely Oracle or SQL server)?
  • etc...

Just curious...

Thanks...

Edited by fradjoh

It's all Microsoft software.

It's all hosted in one datacenter, including both their primary & secondary DNS servers (which is very short-sighted from an availability and D/R standpoint).

Beyond that, no information about the infrastructure has been released for probably a decade.

It's all hosted in one datacenter, including both their primary & secondary DNS servers (which is very short-sighted from an availability and D/R standpoint).

Co-located and/or redundant DNS servers aren't going to help if there's only one datacentre

7155bb6b-c587-425c-b668-234f8b765dcc.jpg

At a minimum, it would let you redirect the domain to another hosted site reading "sorry, we're offline due to <reason>"

I'm thinking in particular of the big fire they had at the datacenter 2 years ago where no one knew anything for about 24 hours and it took close to 48 for the site to come back online.

Co-located and/or redundant DNS servers aren't going to help if there's only one datacentre

7155bb6b-c587-425c-b668-234f8b765dcc.jpg

Having secondary DNS servers located elsewhere would allow you to point users to a temporary site in order to give information about whatever problems you may be having with the data center. There is probably only a very miniscule percentage of users that even know Groundspeak has a Twitter and Facebook presence. An operation with the number of daily users that Groundspeak has really needs to be able to update their customers in times of crisis such as a flooded datacenter due to a fire.

sometimes an email like message can be misinterpreted, so i'll preface this with....

this is a complement.

you guys are often funny as he--.

i REALLY enjoy reading these humorous posts and wish i had more time be in the forums.

speaking of time in the forums......some of you are in here A LOT.

how do you do it?

my wife lets me know when i'm online too long.

They have different wives.

But we do share them from time to time. :ph34r:

i wanna party with you guys !!

No, you wouldn't.

human-female-dog.jpg

FINALLY! A photo of Mrs. knowschad...but wait a minute...she's not pixelated...this can't be right! :o

Well, we're not exactly married, if you know what I mean. We have a very understanding relationship, like most dogs*.

* apologies to Mtn-Man.

Edited by knowschad

Hi,

Is there a place where I could learn about wich hardware and software Groundspeak uses?

•  
  • etc...

Just curious...

Thanks...

i saw groundspeaks hardware at pets r us last week. didn't have $24.99 on me for the "delux hampster" so i just loaded up on geico's guinea pigs and boat platforms to run my server farms. saves me a boatload of cash too!

It's a game. No one is going to die if they can't reach the geocaching servers for a couple of days. Get the shakes, maybe, but die, no. <_<

I'd be curious to know what number Groundspeak uses for projecting revenue losses during major outages. That would factor heavily into the decision as to whether or not running the whole operation out of a single data center is worth the risk or not.

Presumably they have done those calculations and decided the cost isn't worth the potential benefit.

In terms of hardware, I'm goign to go out on a limb and say "HP or Dell". :D

Hi,

• etc...

Just curious...

Thanks...

i saw groundspeaks hardware at pets r us last week. didn't have $24.99 on me for the "delux hampster" so i just loaded up on geico's guinea pigs and boat platforms to run my server farms. saves me a boatload of cash too!

Hamsters would be the software, I believe. The hardware would probably be a cluster of these:

hamster_wheel_web_iStock_000010884662XSmall.jpg