Deleting Multiple Logs

scidawg

I have experienced this a couple of times, where newbie cachers found one of my caches and logged it multiple times from their smartphone (one actually posted 5 found logs for the same cache.) I deleted all but the first one....anyone see anything wrong with this?

Nothing wrong at all, providing that you send them a polite and friendly email explaining the situation.

Good opportunity to help out a newcomer to the game.

Maybe provide them with a few links to the Knowledge Books?

I have experienced this a couple of times, where newbie cachers found one of my caches and logged it multiple times from their smartphone (one actually posted 5 found logs for the same cache.) I deleted all but the first one....anyone see anything wrong with this?

Nothing wrong at all, providing that you send them a polite and friendly email explaining the situation.

I have done it 4 different times for 4 different accounts. I deleted the logs first, but did send an email. The knowledge books would be a good idea, but I'm 0-4 at this time, none of the smartphone users has ever replied to the emails.

I have done it 4 different times for 4 different accounts. I deleted the logs first, but did send an email. The knowledge books would be a good idea, but I'm 0-4 at this time, none of the smartphone users has ever replied to the emails.

I took a different approach: I deleted the dupes and did not send any email. I was curious if I'd hear from them about it. Guess what? I didn't.

I go with DFX's approach. Delete and if they complain explain. If they don't you haven't wasted time.

Why is courtesy "wasted time"?

I had someone log one of my caches 6 times yesterday. All logs were blank. I don't feel that it was rude or discourteous of me to delete 5 of those logs w/o an email of explanation.

Sending an email seems unecessary to me and yes, a waste of time.

I did it myself today. I was logging a cache when my iphone was being really slow. Getting frustrated I kept hitting SEND. Next thing I knew I had posted my log 5 times. I had to go on a browser and delete them myself. So my point is wait a day and see if the cacher notices it. If not you will not get in trouble for deleting multiple logs.

I had a newbie cacher log one of mine 3 times and also picked up my newly released tb...Looking at their profile they had 17 finds in one week back in july 2011 and haven't logged any more finds or visited the website since then. I sent 2 e-mails with no replies. I'm afraid my tb is awol with no mileage at all. I deleted the extra loggs yesterday hoping to get some sort of reply from the cacher...I seriously doubt if I do..It does bugg me that this tb was located in a premium member cache and some one had to give them the cords for it as it is hidden well off the road on private property. I sent out e-mails to the other finders hoping if one of them gave out the cords maybe they would get in contact with their friend..no good there either...I'm still going to wait awhile before marking this tb as missing.....http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2990193

I had someone log one of my caches seen times one day, and seven the next. I deleted all but one log, and explained that she could only log it once. She replied that she thought the log did not go through, so she kept submitting. I-phone user...

...and too dumb to go look at the cache page to see what was there. :rolleyes:

You do read ALL the posts before you come up with a reply, right?

I did it myself today. I was logging a cache when my iphone was being really slow. Getting frustrated I kept hitting SEND. Next thing I knew I had posted my log 5 times. I had to go on a browser and delete them myself. So my point is wait a day and see if the cacher notices it. If not you will not get in trouble for deleting multiple logs.

All I can say is that I checked when my ANDROID app said the log didn't go through.

How many times do you put that quarter in the soda machine (only to have it be rejected) before you realize something's wrong?

Additionally, this is why I use Field Notes. If there are duplicates, I just delete them and nobody's the wiser.

It's a big time-saver, too. So I can spend more time being a jerk here in the forums. :P