Is Jam a suitable present to leave in a cache for a cache owner?

CACAHUETES

Hi every1. I have a little question that I fear some people may have strong opinions and treat me like a total dunce, so give me a chance, y'know.

I have very much enjoyed finding a multi-cache and tomorrow (GMT where I live) I am going to the final stage, and I was just wondering whether some jam that preserves very, very well (over 1 year) in cupboard conditions, and I thought I could leave some in the cache or maybe in a separate box nearby as a present of gratitude to the cache owner.

Any quick opinions will be much appreciated.

'Huetes out.

Food and drink should never be left in a cache, per geocaching guidelines:

"Please do not put food or heavily scented items in a cache. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache."

That goes for scented items as well.

I personally would never eat or drink anything I found in a cache.

Edited by hydnsek

Leaving food in a cache is a bad idea. Leaving scented things, even candles, is a bad idea.

All manner of critters are attracted to interesting scents.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

3. Geocache Contents

2. Contents are family-friendly. Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol and any illicit material should not be placed in a cache. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

3. Contents are appropriate for outdoor life. Food items or scented items are always a bad idea. Animals have a better sense of smell than humans and have been known to chew containers open to get these items. Items that may melt in the heat, such as crayons or lip balm, or expand in the cold, such as liquids, should also be excluded from caches.

From the Groundspeak Knowledge Books:

Contents are appropriate for outdoor life. Food items or scented items are always a bad idea. Animals have a better sense of smell than humans and have been known to chew containers open to get these items. Items that may melt in the heat, such as crayons or lip balm, or expand in the cold, such as liquids, should also be excluded from caches.

I believe that one could get by with a can of foodstuffs (the original cache had one), but not something that is able to be opened then re-closed. Believe it or not, SOMEBODY will open it and yes, put it back in the cache.

Sealed container or no.... you must think about what a freeze/thaw cycle does, not to mention excessive heat.

Another really bad one (even though a lot place it in caches) is blow-bubble jars. Plastic or glass, it doesn't matter 'cuz they are gonna leak. Just as those $@!(*)($# 5-hour energy drinks do. What a mess, and it turns the cache to trash.

EDIT: Pup Patrol was quicker on the draw. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I wouldn't leave any kind of food in a cache, but you could always ask the CO if he'd like to meet you at the cache and hand it over there. As a jam maker myself, I understand where you're coming from, but some people might be uncomfortable eating home canned food of any kind.

never mind home canned food, i would not eat anything i found in a cache lol

I think a favorite point and glowing detailed log (with pics) is a great gift and the kind I like best as a cache owner. :D

As for anything else, you have no guarantee the cache owner will get it right? Any other cacher might scoop it up.

I personally hestitate in eating jam given to me by family and friends. Botulism or goodness knows what. Would definately not eat anything homemade I found in a cache. Did eat a chocolate bar once, but that was in the original packaging. :ph34r:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

ok, but would any (tight-sealed and reopenable) cosmetics products be any good?

'Huetes

No. Cosmetics generally have a scent, too. Even if they're not intentionally scented, they have some sort of scent that would likely attract an animal. Also, they are likely to be adversely affected by heat or cold. Not to mention you kind of run into the "I wonder who has touched this before me, and what did they do with it?" problem, same as food. I wouldn't put cosmetics on my body, especially eyes or mouth, that I found in a cache.

If you want good gift ideas, think sturdy things, unaffected by heat or cold, with no scent. Things I've stocked my caches with include sporks, maglight flashlights, emergency ponchos, match containers (with the matches), slinky, cotton potholders I made myself, pencils, pencil sharpeners, notebooks, and as a FTF gift, a ceramic/stoneware bowl made by a potter friend of mine.

I was taught to always share....so If I found a food item I would take a small bite and leave the rest for the next cacher. That is sometimes difficult. Just today, someone left a soy sauce packet in a cache I found....I opened it...drank just a little and left the rest. Now if some one could leave some noodles, the a future cacher would be in business.

I had a quick peek at your profile and see that you're from my old country - while I don't know if foxes (or other UK wildlife) would go for jam, any animal has an extremely keen sense of smell and may damage the cache going after what they smell inside.

Other than that - if I met you on the trail, I'd take your jam from you!

I cannot imagine opening a cache, and saying, "oh look, food! Let's eat!" Leaving stuff like food, beverages, cosmetics, etc. is generally done with good intention but a complete naïveté about people's interest in eating a burrito they found in a can out in the woods.

Or, "Oh, look! Lipstick!! My wife will LOVE to put that on her lips!"

I cannot imagine opening a cache, and saying, "oh look, food! Let's eat!" Leaving stuff like food, beverages, cosmetics, etc. is generally done with good intention but a complete naïveté about people's interest in eating a burrito they found in a can out in the woods.

Or, "Oh, look! Lipstick!! My wife will LOVE to put that on her lips!"

Don't be sexist..... :)

However, if anyone wants to leave a gift card to the nearby popular burrito establishment, I'd take that in a heartbeat :)

However, if anyone wants to leave a gift card to the nearby popular burrito establishment, I'd take that in a heartbeat :)

Excellent! Burrito or no... still a grand thing to do.

Another really bad one (even though a lot place it in caches) is blow-bubble jars.

This should be pinned. I had to replace two of my ammo cans because a local opted to leave bubble stuff in them. I saw a couple other caches of mine that they visited, and got to them in time to prevent the contents from becoming a sticky, gooey mess. When I asked them about their choice of swag at an event, they were beaming with pride at how much money they had saved buying the bubble stuff in bulk. I explained that their saving had recently ruined roughly $100 worth of swag, and begged them to find another venue for those leaky buggers.

What kind of jam?

I knew we could count on the bespectacled pooch to get down to the important part of this equation. I love homemade jams and jellies, and make a pretty respectable 'mater jelly from a recipe I stole from my Sister-In-Law, (Thanx Lisa!). If you were to leave some jam in my caches, I would not complain... unless it was pear or apple. :P