DNF Rates

Gan Dalf

A recent thread got me wondering about what is a normal DNF rate. I did some figuring and I am wondering how this compares to other cachers.

My DNF rate is 10.7% so a little more than 1 out of 10 caches that I look for I do not find. In analyzing that a little deeper, 32.1% of those were actually missing when I looked for them and were either disabled, archived and/or replaced after I DNF'd them. I subsequently went back and found 33% the ones that were missing when I went to look for them. Most of the remainder ended up getting archived although there are a few that were replaced that I did not go back and look for due to them being to far away from home for me to retrun and look again.

Just wondering what others DNF rate is and if mine is about right or if I am more inept at finding caches than others...

A recent thread got me wondering about what is a normal DNF rate. I did some figuring and I am wondering how this compares to other cachers.

My DNF rate is 10.7% so a little more than 1 out of 10 caches that I look for I do not find. In analyzing that a little deeper, 32.1% of those were actually missing when I looked for them and were either disabled, archived and/or replaced after I DNF'd them. I subsequently went back and found 33% the ones that were missing when I went to look for them. Most of the remainder ended up getting archived although there are a few that were replaced that I did not go back and look for due to them being to far away from home for me to retrun and look again.

Just wondering what others DNF rate is and if mine is about right or if I am more inept at finding caches than others...

A couple of years ago someone asked the same question and about 25 or so people responded with their number of finds to DNFs. I accumulated the responses and, although it was a small sample set, the average DNF rate came out to just over 10%.

well, as you know FM, I did not keep my DNFs originally but folks like you talked me into it and I back logged the ones I could remember. I have 289 DNF logs, course, I have no qualms using PAFs, but that's me.

Had 7 DNFs on one cache and 8 DNFs in a row recently when the GCD trail system was stolen.

Oh, so percentage....290 / 5700 or 5%. Its probably more like 6 or 7% as I deleted my DNFs early on.

Edited by lamoracke

A couple of years ago someone asked the same question and about 25 or so people responded with their number of finds to DNFs. I accumulated the responses and, although it was a small sample set, the average DNF rate came out to just over 10%.

I just looked mine up. Yep, 10.0% DNF/Find ratio as of today. That ratio has been fairly steady over the years.

--Larry

I'm currently running a 9% DNF/Total Hunt ratio. Historically, it's run closer to 10%, but I've had a bit more luck lately. On average, more about half subsequently get replaced/disabled/archived and the other half I apparently just missed. In either case, my DNF log was a part of the cache's history.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I have 294 "Found Its" and 97 "DNFs", so I'm at about 33% (I'm unsure exactly how the stat is to be calculated). I returned to eventually find many of the DNFs. Maybe 1 or 2 containers were actually not there.

Edited by kunarion

I always log every DNF and have done that as far back as I can remember. But I don't think it's straightforward to calculate my ratio. Since I often go on hikes with other cachers, there are surely hundreds of caches I have a smiley for which I wouldn't have gotten if it were just me. I would have either not found it at all, or spent so much time on the attempt that I would miss out on further finds. My DNFs are (usually) mine alone, my finds are often the group find. It's not comparing apples to apples.

Note: this works in favor of making the ratio appear better than it would otherwise. So although my calculated rate is 13% my "personal" DNF rate is something between 1 out of every 6 and 1 out of every 5 of my solo finds. And I could probably count on my fingers the number of times the cache was really missing when I DNFd it. It's not because I'm trying to do only high-rated hard-to-find caches, either. It's just that I'm not particularly good at finding things. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the process, though.

I think there are many factors that can impact the ratio. I tend to cache by myself, not exclusively, but the overwhelming majority of the time. People that are FTF hounds or often cache with one or more other cachers probably log fewere DNF's than I do. Also I travel a lot and subsequently, PAF's are not an option when I am on the road. I've logged twice as many caches that are 1000 miles from home than I have that are 20-30 and so inability to use A PAF has undoubtedly scewed my results some.

Finally I think that a basic minimum number of finds should be considered when looking at this as newbies undoubtedly DNF more caches although they are alos less likely to log them then someone that has cached for a while.

there are surely hundreds of caches I have a smiley for which I wouldn't have gotten if it were just me.

I didn't factor in a few group finds (like when I arrived at a cache on the way to some Event). There was one that seemed to be in a parking lot gutter storm drain, but that didn't make sense and I didn't see anything down there. One guy in the group reached blind up to his armpit, down into the sewer, and pulled up a peanut butter jar. I would never have even tried that.

We are running at around 10%. It seems like much higher lately as we cache in neighboring areas, picking caches by the #'s of favorites they are rated for. Caches that become popular favorites are often (not always) more difficult. We have become more selective, I would guess, as we are decidedly not into it for numbers. We are approaching our first year anniversary next month. :laughing:

9.7% for me.

It would be a very interesting study to see the rates for different styles of players. I tend toward the higher-difficulty puzzles myself. Those can go a long time between finds.

I'm often picking the caches I think I might actually find (based on many criteria). That makes my lousy stats all the worse, though.

Edited by kunarion

I'm at 26%, but that includes some caches that turned out not to be there. I also started off doing Geocaching out of state, so I haven't gone back to my earliest DNFs. Since I haven't even hit 100 caches found yet, and know I've learned a lot about finding them since my earliest days, I expect the ratio will get better, once I actually go out and do more caches. :)

I'm currently at 12.5%... so a bit "worse" than average.

I do most of my caching alone; I'm not a particularly good finder (especially with needle-in-a-haystack type hides), and I log all my DNFs.

Fantastic baseball on TV last night. Where you able to see it there? (I know, off topic, but your avatar suggests you enjoy the game) :P

I'm at 26%, but that includes some caches that turned out not to be there. I also started off doing Geocaching out of state, so I haven't gone back to my earliest DNFs. Since I haven't even hit 100 caches found yet, and know I've learned a lot about finding them since my earliest days, I expect the ratio will get better, once I actually go out and do more caches. :)

When you go back to a cache and make good on a DNF by finding it, some of consider the accepted practice to CREATE A NEW Found It log, and NOT change your DNF log into a Found It log. I know we all play the way we want but some some reason, that reaLLY bugs the purist.

People that are FTF hounds or often cache with one or more other cachers probably log fewere DNF's than I do.

I suspect this varies by region. When I was into FTF hunts, there wasn't a whole lot of others doing so in our area. Occasionally, I would meet another FTF hound, but not often. And most of the hides were easy enough that it didn't matter if multiple people were searching.

On the other hand, a significant percentage of new hides had problems with coordinates or simply weren't in place when published. So, I suspect my DNF percentage for FTF searches actually is higher than my DNF percentage for non-FTF searches.

When you go back to a cache and make good on a DNF by finding it, some of consider the accepted practice to CREATE A NEW Found It log, and NOT change your DNF log into a Found It log. I know we all play the way we want but some some reason, that reaLLY bugs the purist.

I'd think the purist would like to see the original DNF preserved to more accurately describe the history of the cache.

It has never even occurred to me to change a DNF into a "Found It" log. I'm actually rather surprised that some people do make these alterations.

It has never even occurred to me to change a DNF into a "Found It" log. I'm actually rather surprised that some people do make these alterations.

I know of one person that did this and he posted above on this thread. Among those that actually post their DNF's I don't think it is a very common practice.

well, as you know FM, I did not keep my DNFs originally but folks like you talked me into it and I back logged the ones I could remember. I have 289 DNF logs, course, I have no qualms using PAFs, but that's me.

Had 7 DNFs on one cache and 8 DNFs in a row recently when the GCD trail system was stolen.

Oh, so percentage....290 / 5700 or 5%. Its probably more like 6 or 7% as I deleted my DNFs early on.

My percentage goes up depending on where I am caching and whose caches I am looking for. Shoreline, Lynnwood, Marysville, lots of DNF's. Other places where the area owners don't think that the only way to hide is the "evil" way, not so much...

I have 174 DNF logs and 1197 Found it logs, so that is about 14%.

The numbers are probably a bit off because some caches get more than one DNF log, and some DNFs are eventually also included in the Found total.

From a 'feels like' point of view, it seems to me if i have about 7 caches to look for on a given day, at least one of them will be a DNF.

So, to summarize, here are a few variables that might affect one's DNF rate:

1. What proportion of your finds are easy-to-find types? For example, events, EarthCaches, and virtuals usually are easier to find than traditionals, puzzles, and multis.

2. Do you explicitly/implicitly filter based on difficulty ratings? (E.g., PQ filters, do lots of power trails, enjoy park & grabs.)

3. How often do you "throwdown" replacement caches and count them as finds?

4. Do you avoid caches with recent DNFs?

5. How often do you search for infrequently visited caches?

6. How often do you Phone a Friend for help.

7. How often you search as part of a group (and how big is that group)?

8. How often do you search for FTFs?

9. Do you log all your DNFs?

10. How do you define a DNF? For example, I don't count it as a DNF if construction fences prevent me from reaching GZ, but some people do.

11. Do you change DNFs to "Found Its?"

12. Are you an inexperienced geocacher?

13. How hard will you search before giving up?

14. Do disabilities hinder your searches?

So, to summarize, here are a few variables that might affect one's DNF rate:

1. What proportion of your finds are easy-to-find types? For example, events, EarthCaches, and virtuals usually are easier to find than traditionals, puzzles, and multis.

2. Do you explicitly/implicitly filter based on difficulty ratings? (E.g., PQ filters, do lots of power trails, enjoy park & grabs.)

3. How often do you "throwdown" replacement caches and count them as finds?

4. Do you avoid caches with recent DNFs?

5. How often do you search for infrequently visited caches?

6. How often do you Phone a Friend for help.

7. How often you search as part of a group (and how big is that group)?

8. How often do you search for FTFs?

9. Do you log all your DNFs?

10. How do you define a DNF? For example, I don't count it as a DNF if construction fences prevent me from reaching GZ, but some people do.

11. Do you change DNFs to "Found Its?"

12. Are you an inexperienced geocacher?

13. How hard will you search before giving up?

14. Do disabilities hinder your searches?

I can add a few more

15. Do you cache with children? Sometimes a help (chucking them in bushes/ditches/up trees) but generally a hinderance especially on a more time consuming hunt.

16. Does your youngest child always tread in dog dirt? Always guaranteed to curtail a search.

17. Can't read notes, written co-ordinates down incorrectly and other basic literacy problems.

18. Completely wrong town!!. Yes I admit to turning up at a GZ in one town and having the details for a completely different cache somewhere else.

19. Gross incompetence, over elaboration, pre-concieved ideas etc.

20. Dreadful Maths on a multi/puzzle.

I do most of my caching alone; I'm not a particularly good finder (especially with needle-in-a-haystack type hides), and I log all my DNFs.

Fantastic baseball on TV last night. Where you able to see it there? (I know, off topic, but your avatar suggests you enjoy the game) :P

Yes, I did see it... :mad:

Yes, I did see it... :mad:

violin-1267.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there are many factors that can impact the ratio. I tend to cache by myself, not exclusively, but the overwhelming majority of the time. People that are FTF hounds or often cache with one or more other cachers probably log fewere DNF's than I do. Also I travel a lot and subsequently, PAF's are not an option when I am on the road. I've logged twice as many caches that are 1000 miles from home than I have that are 20-30 and so inability to use A PAF has undoubtedly scewed my results some.

I have a similar profile. I also cache by myself, almost exclusively, like to do a lot of puzzle caches and generally prefer more difficult hides than easy ones (I've never done a power trail). I also travel a lot and have found caches in 12 countries (hoping to add another, Belgium, in about 2 1/2 weeks from now), 22 US States and on four continents. I just checked and my DNF ratio is about 14%.

I do a log for each visit, I wouldn't edit a log to change the type unless I m essed up when doing it the first time. :) There has been one or two caches that I did go back and find a second time, but for the most part I haven't revisited a lot of caches. (The only caches I wouldn't do a log for are caches that are already disabled when I go to log a DNF. I actually did a Found log on a cache that turned out to have been archived after I'd downloaded the cache info, and that was mostly to remind the owner that it was still there and needed to be picked up.)

Edit: Now that I think about it, there's at least 4 I've revisited. At least two DNFs followed later by a Found. One of them I didn't log any DNFs because I did find the cache, I just couldn't get it open. (Posted a note on one day, came back with tools the next to try again, and posted a NM that time.) I knew it was the Geocache though as I'd seen a Geocache symbol on it and it was of a type I'd read about. The 4th, I posted a DNF because I wasn't 100% sure I'd found the cache. I was 99.9% sure, but (for very different reasons) wasn't able to get in to it. What I found was actually the cache container's container, and once I knew what I needed to do to get into it I did post a find log.

Edited by EdrickV