Is it ok to do your own challenge?

What does everyone think of being able to complete their own submitted challenge?

I would likely not submit a Challenge unless I've first done it myself. If it's a task you haven't done, I think it's OK to do. But buying tickets for planned a trip somewhere, THEN making a "Challenge" to visit the place, might seem a little cheesy. :P

as others have said...since we technically do not own these and cant edit them after the fact or delete logs or anything....I see no reason why not. As long as you are not creating these just to bump your #s up, why not complete a few challenges you created. I would let someone else log it first though.

My plan is to not create a challenge unless I have first completed it, but I won't log a completion for any challenges that I create. If I ever get around to creating some Earthcaches, then I won't log finds for them. I don't see many people logging finds for virtuals they created, either.

But if people do log completions for challenges that they create, then I have no problem with that.

Is it OK to laugh at your own joke?

Do you know any funny ones?

Did you hear the one about the guy that was wondering if its OK to do your own challenges? :lol:

(to the OP... please do not take this personally. Unless you have a good sense of humor and like to laugh at your own jokes)

I don't see a problem ... it's not like you know where to find "it" more than anybody else.

Well technically you do know what and where "it" is. You won't quite have the "eureka moment" that the others will.

Not all challenges will have the "eureka moment". Not even all the really cool ones will have the "eureka moment", for any number of reasons.

I don't log finds on my own caches but I've decided that I will complete my own Challenges- only if I do the task/take the picture after the date I publish. It's really up to the individual.

Did you hear the one about the guy that was wondering if its OK to do your own challenges? :lol:

(to the OP... please do not take this personally. Unless you have a good sense of humor and like to laugh at your own jokes)

So, what? The answer is no?

I don't see a problem ... it's not like you know where to find "it" more than anybody else.

Well technically you do know what and where "it" is. You won't quite have the "eureka moment" that the others will.

Not all challenges will have the "eureka moment". Not even all the really cool ones will have the "eureka moment", for any number of reasons.

I don't log finds on my own caches but I've decided that I will complete my own Challenges- only if I do the task/take the picture after the date I publish. It's really up to the individual.

Kinda what I was thinking. But what about if you do it as part of researching and creating the challenge?

Kinda what I was thinking. But what about if you do it as part of researching and creating the challenge?

Of the five Challenges that I've published, technically I'd done three of them before I published them. Still waited until I did the one that I've completed on another occasion before logging as completed.

I really don't care if other folks don't do it that way, much like I really don't have any strong feelings about folks digging up old family pictures and using those to log complete on Challenges published after the picture was taken. I'm not going to do it, but I'm not really going to give it a second thought if they do.

So, what? The answer is no?

Although I could tell you, my son, if you do not know it yourself, it does you no good.

What does everyone think of being able to complete their own submitted challenge?

I would log a challenge that I had submitted only if I completed the challenge after I submitted it.

Some think that you should only submit a challenge after you have accomplished the task for yourself first. Congratulations from a cache owner who hasn't made the journey for themselves is pale.

Personally, I say that "doing whatever first" to get to claim a find is one thing, going out to find a hidden cache is another.

Paint it anyway you want but I am not going to log a cache I placed, regardless of all the caches I found before.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I would log a challenge that I had submitted only if I completed the challenge after I submitted it.

Some think that you should only submit a challenge after you have accomplished the task for yourself first. Congratulations from a cache owner who hasn't made the journey for themselves is pale.

I hear you, but I didn't say I wouldn't make the journey or accomplish the challenge first - I said I would log the challenge only after I had submitted the challenge and then completed it.

I've submitted one challenge so far. The challenge is to take a picture of yourself touching the summit sign on the top of Mount Washington. I've climbed Mount Washington and touched the summit sign, but not since I created the challenge. Some day I plan to climb Mount Washington again, and at that point I'll likely log the challenge as completed.

Not all virtuals have that "eureka moment" either yet it has been long considered lame to log your own virtuals. As with virtuals if you submit a challenge you are likely quite familiar with the subject. Since the point of challenges is to go to a location I don't get the point of logging it if you're been there already. No eureka moment.

I have no problem with people who would log their own challenges, but I think it's very silly.

Poor man's souvenirs.

Could you be more specific? I can't tell exactly which activity or activities performed by members of the geocaching community you are trying to belittle.

I can get a souvenir by caching in a state - without having to find another cache. To get a challenge stat I have to log a cache that in some situations I placed. I don't consider that caching, or belittling.

Poor man's souvenirs.

Could you be more specific? I can't tell exactly which activity or activities performed by members of the geocaching community you are trying to belittle.

I can get a souvenir by caching in a state - without having to find another cache. To get a challenge stat I have to log a cache that in some situations I placed. I don't consider that caching, or belittling.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but what I think you are saying is that you don't consider it legitimate to log a challenge that you yourself have placed in a different state simply in order to get a GC.com souvenir for that state.

Ok. Nothing wrong with taking that position.

Ok, won the first set against jr., lost the second against cmilk.

All said and told there's this game I play where I go out and find hidden caches, plus there's a side thing where I move travelers from cache to cache.

Accolades for an achievement are nice but to claim one in a manner that is not going out and finding a hidden cache, especially because I've placed it myself, is a hardly a victory worth touting.

edit: is/are

Edited by BlueDeuce

Poor man's souvenirs.

Sounds like you're confusing challenges with challenge caches.

Poor man's souvenirs.

Sounds like you're confusing challenges with challenge caches.

It's more likely that I don't need either one.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Not all virtuals have that "eureka moment" either yet it has been long considered lame to log your own virtuals. As with virtuals if you submit a challenge you are likely quite familiar with the subject. Since the point of challenges is to go to a location I don't get the point of logging it if you're been there already. No eureka moment.

So you're not logging Challenges listed by other people if you've already been to the location...?

EDIT:It's like you're saying that because I went to Disney World in 2006 that when I logged the Virts there in 2008 I'm "lame" because of some lack of an undefined "eureka moment" which I guess if your way of saying "gasp, I've never been to this spot and finding this thing here before me is somewhat of a surprise!"

Heck most of the old virts in Disney are really a lot like the new Challenges. You'll never convince me that anybody ever had a "eureka moment" when they counted the numbers of windows on the side of the Tower of Terror.

Edited by Castle Mischief